HOW-TO : Ask a pertinent question and run a fair discussion

Options
Dystery - Sanctuary
Dystery - Sanctuary Posts: 52 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Dungeons & Tactics
Dear all,

You may be in a bad mood, in the wrong period of the month, frustrated because you've just once more be outruned with the latest shaodu cub taming contest, genetically lazy, or really tired of your hard working day at the Wall Street Stock Echange.... but this does not ALWAYS excuse the posting of another nth post about a very well and already documented subject.... It is quite easy to check before you ask, and the reward being to keep other people in a good mood worth it.

Also remember that the "protection" given by anonymity does not allow you to act as a vulgar bad-mannered kid. Acting superior and rude may give you some impression of power over people, but mainly it gives you a pathetic reputation and it may also brings you somme painfull spanks if you happen to meet the people in real life.

Then, here are a few rules that one may always follow before even thinking about opening a new post:

- the SEARCH option is your friend. Learn about it, use it, and NEVER ask a question before you've done it first. ONLY if you do not find you answer there could you consider looking at the other rules or/and posting your question
- Did you try to look at the guides/FAQ clearly sticked on the top of ALL forums threads stacks? You'll nearly always find your answer there... there is even one called "Beginner FAQ - Please read before posting!". No question whose answer could be found there should ever be posted!
- Can't remember if I told you about how to SEARCH...
- Sometimes, words may vary from one to another leading to search failure... try different spelling, or thing about nicknames. Some famous examples are the NIX = phoenix/ph(oe)nix/phenix, and HERC = Hercule etc...
- Do you remember the SEARCH option?
- Don't know what HH, TT, WTF, OMG, LMAO*, .... mean? Do u really think you are the first wondering about that? There are a lot of guides about them.... and some are sticked so that they are easy to find (eg try "Commonly used abbreviations"). Did you also try to guess?
- SEARCH... does that remind you of something?
- Make your subject clear. Avoid the common "a few question(s)". People should know before opening the post if they may be able to answer or not.
- Search
- Is your question really linked with the forum you are going to post in? If not, please try to find a more appropriate one, to avoid extra work for the Mods!
- Search could be translated as "rechercher" in french.
- If you plan starting your post with "I am sorry if it has already been asked before but..." then surely it had. And if so, it will irritate people... look at first and second rules
- There is an option called "SEARCH"
- If this makes your post clearer, don't hesitate to use text formating : bold, italic, colors, size, etc.... But this is not a fashion contest : do it to help people get your point, not to make their eyes bleed..
- Someone people sometimes perform a search before posting.
- There are plenty of databases or database-like websites that gather nearly all the informations you may be looking for (here again, info can be found in the "Beginner FAQ" under the "MISCELLANEOUS" part)
- Do I sound like I insist on searching? : on purpose! 80% of the posts would have not been posted if a real search had been previously performed. In order to prove it, I propose you try to search for "FB19"... this is meaningful.
- ...And this would surely have been 90% if FAQ/guides had been read first.

And the ones about being fair :

- There is a common rule that says that a discussion is over (ie definitely fruitless) as soon as someone has named someone/something else "facist" (or any synonym). Indeed, this should never be used... there are a few other similar words/sentences that should FOREVER be banished in order to keep discussing instead of fighting. I am sure I don't need to give you a list of them.
- Level is not the same as IQ. Don't mix things up.... it may be very boring for some less experienced player facing some other player who acts like he is a kind of Genius King or something similar.
- Not everyone can talk a fluent and perfect English (especially me as a native French talking being)... even some native-English talking people I know don't. Not only pointing out that flaw will not strengthen your argumentation, but also this will irritate people trying to argue with you. Definitely something that you should be aware of and thus avoid. However, if you mean to help someone improve his language abilities, there are plenty of polite ways to do it without breaking the discussion.
- But also, If you belong to the previous category, try to understand that people may not understand you, and don't get rude about that : try to say it a different way, or ask a friend/relative to help. And if you eventually can't manage to make it clear, try to say it in your language and ask if someone could translate it for you.
- If you are VERY angry or irritated about something and wanna talk about this..... don't. Wait until you get calmer. No fair nor intelligent discussion can be built on emotional basis.
- If you feel like the real world doesn't want you or doesn't like you, don't take your revenge on anonymous players as soon as you can.... we are sorry for you but this will not help you get better. Instead, the numeric world will also start hating you.
- If someone has not said something, then he has not. Do not answer to what you think is only suggested unless you are perfectly sure it was... languages mistakes and non-native english could be quite confusing.
- If you happen to ask something, a quick and easy "thank you" after you've been answered makes a great difference between a human being and something else.
- "WTF, tak it ez every1 . LMAO. :)))))))) LoL U suk" is not proper english, even for a non native-talking person. Really, avoid it if you don't want people to get angry about you for no apparent reason....
- There is a forum called "Rules of Conduct"... did you read it?
- Eventually, remember the player you are arguing with may be 30 years older or younger than you.... Being aware of this may seriously improve the quality of many discussions.

These many rules could also apply in game of course.

Yours faithfully,

Dys

PS : I told you English was not my native language. So feel free to point out (fairly) the many mistakes I surely did. I will correct them asap.
PS' : I am surely not exhaustive about rules that you should follow to improve forum overall quality. I'll add the ones you'll suggest (unless they are REALLY stupid indeed)
PS ''' : I would gladly provide a French version of this If you want one. For other languages, you'll have to ask your friends with good english abilites.
PS'''' : I have followed my own rules and search for such a topic.... if I happened to fail : feel free to throw me everything you can find (including money of course!)

* : Holly Hall, Twilight Temple, What the F***!, Oh My God!, Laughing My A** Off
Post edited by Dystery - Sanctuary on

Comments

• IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Good guide.

On your red text at towards the bottom, it should read "a quick and easy "thank you" after you've been answered " Instead of tank you.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • FedTehNoob - Lost City
    FedTehNoob - Lost City Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    So let me get this straight...............................................

Never search? b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phoxey - Sanctuary
    Phoxey - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    An outstanding guide. This should be the number 1 stickied item at the beginning of every forum section. It is really all just common sense, but that seems to be lacking in a lot of people.

I normally don't try to correct someone's English, but since you asked I'll make two comments. English and French are proper nouns and as such should always be capitalized.

Towards the end you say "Being aware of this may be a serious improve in the quality of many discussions". I think this should say "Being aware of this may seriously improve the quality of many discussions."
  • Dystery - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Options
    According to what I read these latest few days, I must admit that only some from those who don't need to learn more about these rules happened to read this....
    I think I made a great mistake thinking those who should read them would do such... I forgot that they do not even read the "Beginner FAQ - Please read before posting" first....

Then one should find another way to prevent us from Kevin posting (Hope that everyone know what a Kevin is)
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do I use the search option?

Sorry im in a sarcastic mood today :P Nice thread.

(But btw the search bar in the forums is ****. It never finds the thread im looking for even if i type in the exact name of the title...) google ftw

Example.. even with this thread i typed in.. "HOW-TO" no search results lulz
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    A Mod better get here and sticky this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active
  • Kaligrrl - Heavens Tear
    Kaligrrl - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Excellent post.

As a fairly new person to PWI and its forums, I have to say..."Search is my friend!!" I have so many questions and I hate to be the 1000th person asking. So good job reminding me to use my own time to try to find the answers before I bug the heck outta everyone else. Hopefully all the folks who use the forums will read (and obey) these rules! b:chuckle
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Swishboomkablam! Thread stickied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SirLynxcelot - Heavens Tear
    SirLynxcelot - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options

Don't also remember that the "protection" given by anonymity does not allow you to act as a vulgar bad-mannered kid. Acting superior and rude may give you some impression of power over people, but mainly it gives you a pathetic reputation and it may also brings you somme painfull spanks if you happen to meet the people in real life.

I understand English is not your first language, but saying "Don't also remember" is the same thing as saying "Do also forget." And I presume you mean to say simply "Also remember."

That business about the painful spanks sounds very threatening and you're posting about courtesies while using this veiled threat, just comes across as something this post seems to want to advocate against. After reading the painful spanking business, I didn't want to read anything further, because there's no one in real life about to dish out any painful spanks on me for ANY reason and I don't mind telling you. And if that makes me sound superiour and badder than thou then so be it, but i'm not reading any posts that lead with threats about someone getting spanked in real life for interwebz communications. I hope this spanker brings heavier fire power than what is available in the PWI graphics world, because I will destroy any spanker wannabe with superiour firepower if you know what I mean.

/rant

*takes calming soothing potion* b:pleased
  • Dystery - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Options
    About your point of view (assuming that I did not misunderstand you), I think it matches the overall meaning of mine, but maybe not the (not said) part about the reality of people : there's a very thin line between rudness and authority, which my father was quite good at never trespassing (according to me, of course)... which does not mean he was kind when he tried to educate me: I learnt from him that trying to be too much a kind one when you try to educate someone could lead to his simply ignoring the lesson because you do not sound serious enough.

Then, I said the line is thin... maybe I did cross it : this is all about subjectivity (and the fact that I am not yet a father myself, maybe) and will of course never match everyone's tolerance... But If I sound threatening at the beginning, reminding that real life hides behind numeric avatars, it was mainly a way to get attention about what I think is the main problem in the whole forums I've been through. If I failed (according to more people), then I will take it as a lesson and maybe fix it later.

Thanks for your remark about my language mistake also: of course I meant "do not forget". French and english happen to mix in my mind. I'll correct it.

PS : sounds like someone here is a great Holy Graal fan...
  • Wdhuman - Lost City
    Wdhuman - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    .......make a private server cuz i really want to do my city-quests without those cat-shops and stop being disturbed by noobs that are lvl 70-80 and dress like a lvl 1 and wants to duel me b:angryb:angry
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    .......make a private server cuz i really want to do my city-quests without those cat-shops and stop being disturbed by noobs that are lvl 70-80 and dress like a lvl 1 and wants to duel me b:angryb:angry

Two posts and you've already annoyed me. Most (read: ALL) MMOs frown on private servers so coming onto the OFFICIAL forum to ask how to make private server is stupid but not that annoying. Coming into a topic on the OFFICIAL forum which has absolutely nothing to do with private servers to ask how to make a private server is both annoying and stupid. Me taking the time to reply to you is the stupidest thing I've heard of or done.

Since I have established that we are both idiots and I'm sure that creating a private server is both difficult and requires a deep understanding of computers (otherwise there would be private servers everywhere and no one would play the official version when they could just play on their own with maybe a few friends) then there's no way I can help you or that you'd understand how to make one even if someone explained it to you. I also highly doubt that there's anyone who has both the ability to create a private server for you and the generosity to be willing to do so.

By the way, have you even tried using google? There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of private servers floating around out there so I'm sure that you'll find one that you'll like.

As for your complaints, lag in West Archo? OMG, there's lag in the most crowded place in the entire game! Deal with it, everyone else does. Hm, people are challenging you to duels and you don't like it? Then don't accept the duel. I seriously doubt that there are so many level 70+ players who challenge you to duels in noob gear that you constantly have to decline. If you mean you're being PKed because you're over level 30 and on a PvP server then just reroll on a PvE server (hey, you were going to start over on a private server anyway so why not?).

Edit: Hm, ironic that I'm posting this in a topic which was made to help reduce the amount of flame being tossed around. Well, since this is your topic then I'll edit this whole thing out if you ask (or a mod/GM can just get rid of it).
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    private servers=forbiden and bannable if u confes u played 1 i think(i think)
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Giruruu - Heavens Tear
    Giruruu - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I have a question...how do i change the squad settings for it to be ''you pick you get'' not the random one, i can't chek the little circle that is suposed to allow that, could someone help me?

Thankyou :]
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I have a question...how do i change the squad settings for it to be ''you pick you get'' not the random one, i can't chek the little circle that is suposed to allow that, could someone help me?

Thankyou :]

You need to pick that option BEFORE making the squad, simple as that.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Giruruu - Heavens Tear
    Giruruu - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Oh...ok thankyou :]
  • Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver
    Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Dear all,
    happened to fail : feel free to throw me everything you can find (including money of course!)

*chucks a quarter at dystery's head*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Note: No thats not me... I stole that from the interwebs b:chuckle
    BTW.... YOU ROCK FORSAKENX <3

I like to think of myself as a dog, I can be cute and cuddly but sniff people's butts and get away with it ><>

Warlock recruiting lvl 70+ on the Dreamweaver Server.
    PM an officer for an invite.

b:heartb:flowerb:faint
  • EvilFatality - Dreamweaver
    EvilFatality - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Wow, I can see you don't like bad behavior on the forum and in-game. But you're absolutely right, the things you mention are quite annoying to come across. This should be the first thread for every newcomer on the forum to read.

But if I may say, it's quite striking how much in-game behavior differs from how people act on the forum. It happens so many times that people only think about themselves, and kill some beast you are killing already on purpose. For example.
    Luckily, there are still many great players to squad with and they still help each other out when needed. That is what makes interaction in Perfect World really nice, I think. b:victory
    True wisdom is not what you tell, but what you treasure and keep deep inside your heart. Fully understanding is living the wisdom.
    Knowledge is much more valuable than any kind of material thing.
    Freedom, equality, justice, honesty and openness are the highest goods in this world, but they are almost gone. Stand together against the New World Order. Even if it costs you your health, home, money or your life.
    We are the poison to this planet, and we are the cure. A pure world is our legacy and free people our offspring. We are legend.b:victory[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EvilFatality - Dreamweaver
    EvilFatality - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    That business about the painful spanks sounds very threatening and you're posting about courtesies while using this veiled threat, just comes across as something this post seems to want to advocate against. After reading the painful spanking business, I didn't want to read anything further, because there's no one in real life about to dish out any painful spanks on me for ANY reason and I don't mind telling you. And if that makes me sound superiour and badder than thou then so be it, but i'm not reading any posts that lead with threats about someone getting spanked in real life for interwebz communications. I hope this spanker brings heavier fire power than what is available in the PWI graphics world, because I will destroy any spanker wannabe with superiour firepower if you know what I mean.

/rant

*takes calming soothing potion* b:pleased

You are probably right that the odds of a real-life encounter with a player you've insulted are close to zero. Butttttt... as I see it, the "painful spanking" was just a metaphor of the painful social situation you COULD get at that moment. I'm Dutch, so I can't give you the exact proper BBC-English definition; but a metaphor is mostly a slightly humoristic, catchy way to make things easier to comprehend. Also used to shorten up long explanations, as was probably the case here. I'm not worried a bit that I will ever have a bad real-life encounter with a player I don't like, because I behave on Perfect World.

Second thing I want to say is, chill...b:victory I think the odds are low that Dystery means he (she) would resort to "painful spanking" in pre-described situations. Also, Dystery has probably spent much time and effort in describing all kinds of do's and do-nots in his behavioral thread. He even made room for suggestions on both completing the list and his language. Wouldn't it be weird that someone who invests that much in a nice online interaction, would "use a veiled threat"?

You're always free to do what you want. And this is nothing against you as a person or against anything else you said. I just really think we don't have to overdo it, everyone has common sense on how to be polite without being extreme.b:thanks
    True wisdom is not what you tell, but what you treasure and keep deep inside your heart. Fully understanding is living the wisdom.
    Knowledge is much more valuable than any kind of material thing.
    Freedom, equality, justice, honesty and openness are the highest goods in this world, but they are almost gone. Stand together against the New World Order. Even if it costs you your health, home, money or your life.
    We are the poison to this planet, and we are the cure. A pure world is our legacy and free people our offspring. We are legend.b:victory[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Melack - Harshlands
    Melack - Harshlands Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    so Let Me Get This Straight...............................................

Never Search? B:thanks

Lol!!!......
  • Burnsoldier - Dreamweaver
    Burnsoldier - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    can someone tell me how much one piece of gold is worth in us dollars?
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    can someone tell me how much one piece of gold is worth in us dollars?

1 gold = 1 dollar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Delta_Star - Lost City
    Delta_Star - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Oiiii, that was some harsh instructions on how to have a proper conversation but the steps and the way it's written is extremely rude and should be revised, here is a pertinent question, were you drunk when you wrote this? Always with love....b:surrender
  • shadowoman
    shadowoman Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    where do i find the strat or create button? b:angry i have downloaded the game and every thing but i can create a person or any thing!
  • tig3rkin6
    tig3rkin6 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    hi.
    I have a BM and I want to use Double axes or hammers in future. 3str/1dex/1vit per level is ok?
  • Youwantit - Lost City
    Youwantit - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    what level does a nix require.
  • itselliebitch
    itselliebitch Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i didnt know how to make my own question butt...

i need help as well how do you talk to people and find people...

and if you could find me in the game <3333 so we can be friends
  • craigthegreat
    craigthegreat Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    how do i start game
  • charlie1426
    charlie1426 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    HOW DO I LEAP....im a wizzard and the elder have a quest that requires the leap skill, i do the drunken warrior quest but now i dont know what to do ?
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    HOW DO I LEAP....im a wizzard and the elder have a quest that requires the leap skill, i do the drunken warrior quest but now i dont know what to do ?

It's a test a make sure if you got the mechanics of double-jumping down.

Also, I can't call this a necro...'cause it's a sticky.

b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...