Knockback Arrow on PK?

Options
f22araptor
f22araptor Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
We archers have often problemes with meele mobs/players. and the meele have problemes with ranged. the meeles have many stuns, so that we cannot run away. so i think we archers should have knockback arrow on pk TOO! i vote for YES
Post edited by f22araptor on

Comments

• _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    It would make pk stupid /thread.

edit - dont make multiple threads about the same thing either.
  • Zelfine - Sanctuary
    Zelfine - Sanctuary Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Lol, I'd love to see Will of Phoenix in TW with knockback enabled.
    Ratatatata
    b:bye PW.
    I'll still troll the forums >:D
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    f22araptor wrote: »
    We archers have often problemes with meele mobs/players. and the meele have problemes with ranged. the meeles have many stuns, so that we cannot run away. so i think we archers should have knockback arrow on pk TOO! i vote for YES

I'm guessing you haven't fought with or against a HIGH lvl archer yet =/
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That's right Mental, we Archers are as deadly point blank as we are from the trees :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    There are technical problems with player knockback, such as vector calculation involving player movement, especially if lagging. There are also gameplay problems, such as knocking back barb pulling catapults. Player knockback isn't disabled purely to gimp archer in pvp. If enabled, it'll open a can of worms that can't be easily dealt with.
  • Damaged - Lost City
    Damaged - Lost City Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    There are technical problems with player knockback, such as vector calculation involving player movement, especially if lagging. There are also gameplay problems, such as knocking back barb pulling catapults. Player knockback isn't disabled purely to gimp archer in pvp. If enabled, it'll open a can of worms that can't be easily dealt with.

This.

1billionchar
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options

The gameplay issues can be dealt with by a strict set of rules... Personally I think that knockback should work... what other class have skills gimped for PvP other than archer?

Personally it would be nice if Tempest wasn't 100% hit, and blademasters shouldn't be able to stunlock. j/k sorta :P
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    high level archers can just fly/run and hit stun freeze, run/fly again and u'll never catch them (barbs can't stunlock sorry) so if u are decent u don't need knockback
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    The gameplay issues can be dealt with by a strict set of rules... Personally I think that knockback should work... what other class have skills gimped for PvP other than archer?

Personally it would be nice if Tempest wasn't 100% hit, and blademasters shouldn't be able to stunlock. j/k sorta :P

Venos(Brambles) and Wizards(Knockback) Also, anyone who put knockback on their genies.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Lol, I'd love to see Will of Phoenix in TW with knockback enabled.
    Ratatatata

What he saidb:laugh
    Quit.
  • Bladecutter - Sanctuary
    Bladecutter - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    umm i dont think so

why? see this case

youre killing someone from near lets say a bm, you roll back him (without mentioned all the glichts it could produce) he can just run away, you just save him froom dead whilse saving yourself
  • f22araptor
    f22araptor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    ah, pets can be knocked back (that is the minimum). But a not high lvl archer could really need knockback on PK!
  • BloodyVampie - Heavens Tear
    BloodyVampie - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    same with mages T.T
  • Defected - Heavens Tear
    Defected - Heavens Tear Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Pfft. Archers don't need knockback in pvp. Just run away.

What we really need is our bleed damage to have no reduction against other players.

4571 bleed over 15 seconds.b:surrender But I suppose that wouldn't be fair to other classes if our bleed had no reduction. /sad face
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Changed my mind. Permanently Retired - Only here to troll.
  • Temblor - Harshlands
    Temblor - Harshlands Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Knockback disadvantages melee classes. Same reason why you cant kill land mobs while flying. Equal chances (more or less...) for both combatants. You can push others in aggro, push off cliffs, push to safezone (weird thing) and all sorts of other c..p. Less QQ more onomatopoeic words that cleverly describe shooting also known as pew pew...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kiss my pointy ears!
    Girl IRL-guy cleric IG.b:cute
  • MyNameIsPooh - Harshlands
    MyNameIsPooh - Harshlands Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Pfft. Archers don't need knockback in pvp. Just run away.

What we really need is our bleed damage to have no reduction against other players.

4571 bleed over 15 seconds.b:surrender But I suppose that wouldn't be fair to other classes if our bleed had no reduction. /sad face

i think all classes should get a bleed skill

/ random post
    I R NO ALT >:O
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    can clerics have knockback or stun too? D= QQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I don't see knockback as fundamentally different to stun, paralyze, sleep, and silence. If people don't want to be knockbacked there are movement impairment immunity pots and skills to use. Why should a BM stun work but not a knockback?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • unoxx
    unoxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Err... does anyone really think a BM or barb can be knocked back by an arrow??
    Come on, arrows drop ppl, dont knock them back. If you want that get a shotgun...
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    unoxx wrote: »
    Come on, arrows drop ppl, dont knock them back. If you want that get a shotgun...

Watching too much hollywood movies have we?
    Shotguns don't knockback, they'll just rip you open.

Realism plays no part in a video game. An arrow can knockback if the skills called knockback. Did you really think you could kill something like Ancient Evil with a few puny weapons?

Anyhow, I don't think knockback is a good idea.
    That main reason being said already is the catapults, and second off all, will of phoenix should work too then in that case, and if it does would make mages utterly unkillable by bms or barbs. There's only an 8 second cooldown on will of phoenix, are you sure you wanna be knocked back 18 meters every 8 seconds? Way too OP.

You can't give archers knockback arrow without giving mages will of phoenix's knockback as well in pvp. After all, Archers have it so much easier than wizards to begin with in pvp ;)
  • unoxx
    unoxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    lol I know, I just ridiculed the thought because, well, it just is... You made that clear ^_^

I'll look up the part about the shotgun tho ;)

EDIT: Everyone forgets polearm and sword BM's have a knock back too. It would be ridiculous if that worked (which it would if knock back arrow did). Come on, knocking back archers/clerics/wizards/veno's? We might as well commit suicide...
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Ya, would be fun to just knockback barb into WB agro range.

I vote no btw, simply because too much problems, better make Sharpened not to miss.
    I kill things b:victory
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    unoxx wrote: »

Someone firing an English Long Bow could probably knock you backwards from the force of the impact if it didn't kill you. Even if it did, it'd still probably knock your corpse backwards.

So, yes, and according to someone I used to work with they watched someone with one do just that with arrows with padded tips for safety that only left bruises and welts from the impact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Someone firing an English Long Bow could probably knock you backwards from the force of the impact if it didn't kill you. Even if it did, it'd still probably knock your corpse backwards.

So, yes, and according to someone I used to work with they watched someone with one do just that with arrows with padded tips for safety that only left bruises and welts from the impact.

Have your friend use real arrows and try, than tell us if it still knocks people back..... if the arrow is not penetrating the target, than that energy has to go somewhere, therefore you get knocked back, but if the arrow actualy penetrates the target, the energy will be absorbed by the flesh/bones, or it will just go right through it, and less likely you will be thrown back.

Also, english longbows are fired at a 45% angle or more, so the arrows "rain" on the targets at long range, if you want a flatter trajectory, english longbows are not your best choice, since they are not very accurate, their targeted effective range, with practice would be 60 meters for a target the size of a person, wihle its range is just about 200meters, 300 for skilled archers, however at those ranges you are not targeting any thing, you just firing arrows in the general direction....... crossbows and other small bows would be far better choice.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Nightfaii - Harshlands
    Nightfaii - Harshlands Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    If archers and/or mages get knockback in pvp, then the venos would have to get bramble hood back in pvp. Thats not going to happen, so i say no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Have your friend use real arrows and try, than tell us if it still knocks people back..... if the arrow is not penetrating the target, than that energy has to go somewhere, therefore you get knocked back, but if the arrow actualy penetrates the target, the energy will be absorbed by the flesh/bones, or it will just go right through it, and less likely you will be thrown back.

Also, english longbows are fired at a 45% angle or more, so the arrows "rain" on the targets at long range, if you want a flatter trajectory, english longbows are not your best choice, since they are not very accurate, their targeted effective range, with practice would be 60 meters for a target the size of a person, wihle its range is just about 200meters, 300 for skilled archers, however at those ranges you are not targeting any thing, you just firing arrows in the general direction....... crossbows and other small bows would be far better choice.

The archers were picking targets and hitting them. I'd say they were highly accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    wizzies should have cuze we haz no (real) stuns =_=
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    The archers were picking targets and hitting them. I'd say they were highly accurate.

You could do the same with a short bow or evena crossbow, the all point of the longbow was its far supperior range. The problem arrises when you have to shoot the bow over your head, therefore you will not be aiming at anything, but shooting in the general direction.

A english longbow archer was expected to be able to shoot 10 aimed shots per minute, with good ones firing 20. However, the military formations of the time, always put the archers behind the lines, since they lacked armor... making the practicality of aimed shots really not there, therefore the favoured approach was to "rain arrows" on the advancing forces. Keep in mind that the english people used the longbow for hunting as well, so it was accurate enough for that, but hunting ranges are usualy less 20-30meters.

Don't take me wrong, the longbow was the best ranged weapon of its time, and it gave the english a major advantage in battle, however, its biggest advantage was the range and rate of fire, which allow the english archers to kill the enemy without exposing themselves. When needed, at short range, it was also accurate, but if you had to use the bow at that range, something went very wrong, because than meant the enemy formation had closed in to 50 meters, from the original 500+ meters, which is not a good sign for your forces......

but lets not distract from the topic. We can have a discussion on the merits and accuracy of the english longbow on a new post in the off-topic area. :)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.