Worth it to raise Sawfly from 8 to 32?

_Kawaii_ - Harshlands
_Kawaii_ - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Venomancer
I am now 32 and starting to fight in the air more.
But I missed taming a sawfly at level 8.

I was wondering if it is worth it to go back and try to raise one?
Or should I get a different one, and what would be some good options?

Thx guys!
Post edited by _Kawaii_ - Harshlands on

Comments

• Lucky_Curse - Lost City
    Lucky_Curse - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    well i been reading the forums alot and this question seem to pop up every now and again...

if your going to keep your planing of getting a Phoenix you should just tame a pet around your lv, but if you going to use ur sawfly for a long time i recommned getting one at lv 8 becuase it will have better stats than higher lv ones of the same family. but the only draw back of the lv 8 Sawfly is that it will have Lv 1 Skill while the Lv 32 would most likly have LV2 or Lv3 skills

so if you want to save money go with higher lv pets but if your looking for the best stats get the lowest lv one which is the lv8 Sawfly
  • _Kawaii_ - Harshlands
    _Kawaii_ - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Do you have some recommendations of other good flying pets?

Also how much money does the Nix eventually cost roundabout?
  • Lucky_Curse - Lost City
    Lucky_Curse - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    ok i didnt' do the math but what i read is that it's about 200$ dollars if your going to buy it from the boutique

about 25million coins

and other flying pets would be the Pinnaer Foxwing lv 34
    and the flying pig (which has low def and low attack i believe)
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I prefer wasps and foxwings to sawflies. They do less damage (a lot less in the foxwing's case) but they have a bit more survivability. Foxwings have more hp and wasps have better evasion. I eventually went with foxwings because mobs started using magic more (magic never misses so evasion wasn't as important) and the extra hp helped with poison and burns.

Here's a helpful site you can use to choose your new pet. As you can see from the growth charts, insects, sawflies, and wasps will have low hp and high attack while foxwings will have low attack and high(er) hp.

Also, phoenixes cost about $200 in real money or (depending on how long you feel like waiting for a good deal) 20-30 mil in coins.

Edit: Piggy has high defenses, hp, and regeneration but has low attack, accuracy, and evasion. Makes a good tank but you'll steal aggro a lot if you're a pure magic build.
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    There are plenty of people like me that leveled and upgraded the skills of a sawfly. It would be cheaper to find one of them and buy their old sawfly.

If you're not paying cash on the game, buying Nix feathers is cheapest by using your own kitty shop for them. I got most of mine for 1900 ea and under (during sale). I only paid more when I was down to the last couple hundred or so to finish it off.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear
    Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear Posts: 998 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    ok i didnt' do the math but what i read is that it's about 200$ dollars if your going to buy it from the boutique

about 25million coins

and other flying pets would be the Pinnaer Foxwing lv 34
    and the flying pig (which has low def and low attack i believe)

the pig has great m./p. def. the only problem is the low attack, you really need to upgrade it's skills...

I'm using a lvl 52 pig for mobs around my lvl. I really have to watch out not to pull aggro from it, since it still has his initial skills.
    ~~Inactive~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Torhn for coloring!
  • hadrie1
    hadrie1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2009

Here's a helpful site you can use to choose your new pet.

thanks for that linkb:heart
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Sawfly has the second highest damage in game, after Phoenix, so leveling it is not a waste of time, at worst you end up with a backup pvp pet if your phoenix gets killed, and if you do not get a phoenix, you will still have a very decent pvp pet.
    For pve, the sawfly kills really fast, even if it not a tank god, it can easily handle 4-5 mobs its level. Even if you have to spam heal, it does so much damage that you can skill kill really fast.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    hadrie1 wrote: »
    thanks for that linkb:heart
    No problem, I bookmarked the link back when I first started playing. Not sure why no one posts it anymore, I think it's a bit better than pwdatabase if only because it groups the different "families", has a growth chart, and shows you a picture of what the pets look like (doesn't have all the pets though (that might be the reason why pwdatabase killed it)).
    Sawfly has the second highest damage in game, after Phoenix, so leveling it is not a waste of time, at worst you end up with a backup pvp pet if your phoenix gets killed, and if you do not get a phoenix, you will still have a very decent pvp pet.
    For pve, the sawfly kills really fast, even if it not a tank god, it can easily handle 4-5 mobs its level. Even if you have to spam heal, it does so much damage that you can skill kill really fast.

I think the level 2 scorpions have a higher attack than the sawfly. Scorpions obviously can't fly but they can be taken into instances. I don't like scorpions for the same reason I don't like sawflies though, too little hp. I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing I don't have to worry about my pet getting killed if I get lag in the middle of healing my pet.

It all comes down to personal preference anyway. Sawflies will usually kill mobs before they can do much damage while foxwings can't kill as quickly but can take a few more hits. I think it's pretty balanced that way.

Point in sawfly's favor: good luck trying to steal aggro from one.
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Scorpion is highest land pet. Sawfly is 2nd highest overall, behind the Phoenix.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It all comes down to personal preference anyway. Sawflies will usually kill mobs before they can do much damage while foxwings can't kill as quickly but can take a few more hits. I think it's pretty balanced that way.
    Dunno why people keep saying this. Foxwings have slightly more hp and mag def, but their phys def score is significantly lower. At 40:

Pet: hp / atk / pdef / mdef / acc / eva / speed
    Sawfly (8): 1029 / 862 / 2588 / 2588 / 892 / 549 / 8.3
    Foxwing (37): 1053 / 603 / 2395 / 2634 / 957 / 468 / 8.7
    Foxwing diff: +2.3% / -30% / -7.5% / +1.8% / +7.3% / -15% / +4.8%

I got a Foxwing because I was trying for a pig and didn't really care what I used until I got the pig. But unless you can't stand the sight of wasps or something, go with the Sawfly.

The pig is an awesome tank BTW. Tanks almost as well as a magmite so makes a good backup in tough outdoor fights if the magmite dies. Its damage is pathetic though - probably wouldn't be worth it if it didn't come with howl to boost your spell damage.
    Scorpion is highest land pet. Sawfly is 2nd highest overall, behind the Phoenix.
    Sawfly is 3rd overall. Atk at 90:

4096 - Phoenix
    3336 - Scorp (level 2)
    3297 - Sawfly (level 8)
    3240 - Magmite (level 17)
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I was using a Goldenwing Emperor but now I switched to a Pinnaer Foxwing
    as it can take more of beating and cna cause metal dmge.I use this from the air while attack land mobs.It has thunderbot which I use a lot.

I may go to sawfly but the one I would choose is Desert Hornet.I would be healing the heck out of lvl 8 sawfly on higher lvl targets.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    Pirodar - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Sawfly is 3rd overall. Atk at 90:

4096 - Phoenix
    3336 - Scorp (level 2)
    3297 - Sawfly (level 8)
    3240 - Magmite (level 17)

Well If we cosider Phoenix we can consider Hercules as well. It has higher DPS and accuracy than the scorpion
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Well If we cosider Phoenix we can consider Hercules as well. It has higher DPS and accuracy than the scorpion

There are lots of ways to compare them. If you wish to post a list ranking pets by DPS (I've done it before), feel free to do so. What was being debated was attack score ranking, so that's the list I gave.
  • Kimi - Dreamweaver
    Kimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I have a level 26 sawfly on my veno and i'm not regreting it. o.o
  • Mable - Harshlands
    Mable - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'm curious, as I've not had to do it. Can you level your lvl 8 sawfly on low level mobs (progress to higher mobs as your pet progresses)? Or do you have to kill mobs that are close or equal to your veno's level to gain adequate experience?
  • Kapseisin - Dreamweaver
    Kapseisin - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    From my experience, you have to kill mobs around your pet's level. +/- about 7 levels of your pet usually results in a pretty good grind rate.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'm curious, as I've not had to do it. Can you level your lvl 8 sawfly on low level mobs (progress to higher mobs as your pet progresses)? Or do you have to kill mobs that are close or equal to your veno's level to gain adequate experience?

The exp for your pet is based on it's level. As soon as a mob is 1 level lower than it, it's xp reward is decreased. I recommend finding the highest level mobs that you can one hit aoe, and that gather in bunches and start on those with your pet set to manual.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mable - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    Ok. Thanks for the replies.

I have a forest hornet that started at lvl 25, I may go back and grab the sawfly and just level it up.
  • Devilbloods - Sanctuary
    Devilbloods - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    may i ask where you find this sawfly?
  • Mable - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    may i ask where you find this sawfly?

Just south of bamboo village. They're very close to the village.
  • Devilbloods - Sanctuary
    Devilbloods - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    oh thanks cause i wanted one lol after i herd they had good attck
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Sawfy has been worth it for me.

It does good damage and there really isn't anything that can kill your pet providing you are paying attention for an occasional heal after a few fights.

If you are fighting mobs with your pet I can't imagine any of your pets being an issue to use. For PVP's sake I suggest the Sawfly since you will want your best damage dealer (excluding the NIX in this case) but if you plan on pretty much PVEing than pick the one that you think looks the coolest.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.