Is there a guide anywhere that shows where you may need to upgrade pets?

angyl
angyl Posts: 16 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Venomancer
I've been looking for a comprehensive guide which exposes pets weaknesses and gives you a push in the right direction for upgrading their skills or buying new ones. If anybody knows where I can find some information it would be much appreciated!

I currently have (none of them have been upgraded)

Volcanic Magmite

Petite Sawfly

Antelope Pup

Eldergoth Marksman

I've recently seen a lot of pet Eldergoth Warriors about, are they any good?
Also seen a number of people ditch their sawflies for foxwing supreme's at 60.
Read somewhere that a lot of people get the higher level versions of earlier pets for a free upgrade (ie antelope pup > soulchaser > sage)...but wouldn't that kind of vito the idea that earlier pets are the better ones?

Thanks
Post edited by angyl on

Comments

• Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear
    Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear Posts: 998 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I can only give you this link:
    http://snowbloom.110mb.com/

you can see the growth charts of many pets there.

I recommend upgading bash on the golem so it doesn't lose aggro while grinding. it's a great pet.

I don't use any of the other ones, so no idea about them, sorry.
    ~~Inactive~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Torhn for coloring!
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Magmite: I'd hesitate to invest anything into a magmite as they'll be useless once you get a herc, and the investment in them delays your getting one.

Petite Sawfly: There are other flying pets like Goldwing Emporer that are faster and come with better skills sets and comparable stats. Again, I wouldn't invest in one of these because it will be useless once you get your nix.

Antelope Pup: Not sure on this one. I started to level one for a future magic tanker, but don't know if it would serve a purpose. The only way to make this one a keeper would be to stick rare pet skills on it, so again I'd refrain from upgrading this atm.

Eldergoth Marksman: The only pet listed that won't be made useless by a legendary pet because of it's range attack. I'd keep a damage aggro holder on it like bash since it has a good base atk to work with and it will ease the leveling. I'd then find skills that work with it's range like solid shell, protect, strong, blessing of the pack, claw or boost depending on your play style and use of the pet (makes a great lurer) after getting the legendary pets.
    I recommend upgading bash on the golem so it doesn't lose aggro while grinding. it's a great pet.

Simple solution: don't grind with it and save yourself a mil or more as well as some time killing. In those rare tanking situations you'll use it for, you'll be stuck healing it enough to keep from pulling aggro. A varicose scorpion is over 10% faster, has better dps and much better accuracy making it a better grinding pet / dps pet imho. If I were doing over though, I'd just grab grinding pets near my level along the way until I got the legendary pets. I haven't had much problem going back and leveling those pets that I missed.

One thing many don't realize is that a Herc and Nix should be obtainable without cash in your early 70's. By your early 80's it becomes more work to level one than get one.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear
    Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear Posts: 998 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Simple solution: don't grind with it and save yourself a mil or more as well as some time killing. In those rare tanking situations you'll use it for, you'll be stuck healing it enough to keep from pulling aggro. A varicose scorpion is over 10% faster, has better dps and much better accuracy making it a better grinding pet / dps pet imho. If I were doing over though, I'd just grab grinding pets near my level along the way until I got the legendary pets. I haven't had much problem going back and leveling those pets that I missed.

I'm not planning to get a herc or nix. I hardly grind air mobs and don't pk. and the herc is just fugly, I'd be ashamed to run around with something that looks like it b:shutup

I may not be the richest veno, but I get along well. I don't see the need for legendary pets. as for the scorpion - I never tried one since I never had problems with my golem.
    ~~Inactive~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Torhn for coloring!
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    angyl wrote: »
    I've been looking for a comprehensive guide which exposes pets weaknesses and gives you a push in the right direction for upgrading their skills or buying new ones.
    Everyone has different priorities when it comes to pets. Some people want something with the best stats - in that case you want the pet that starts with the lowest level. Some people are perenially penniless, so they want a pet which gives them high level skills without having to pay anything. The higher level pets tend to work better for them. Others value aesthetics - maybe they hate insects, or they like the fire-engine red of the Eldergoth Warrior, or hate the golem and herc because it blocks their view.

There's a pet for almost every opinion, so try to find out which people have a playstyle similar to yours. Then listen to which pets they recommend.
    Read somewhere that a lot of people get the higher level versions of earlier pets for a free upgrade (ie antelope pup > soulchaser > sage)...but wouldn't that kind of vito the idea that earlier pets are the better ones?
    As far as I know, Tweakz is the only one advocating you do that. If you're using the pet to grind and do quests, then it'll get exp and level up with you (takes fewer kills for your pet to level than for you). So "upgrading" to a higher level version seems kinda pointless to me. But I could see it making sense if you were getting a lot of exp from quests, crazy stone, or Cube. In that case, you'd be getting exp while your pet wasn't, so it would tend to fall behind in level. Up until you reach about the 70s though, you can level up any ground pet in the Cube within a couple hours. If you're 50 or lower you should be able to do it in an hour or less.

Personally I think it's better to stick with one pet so you begin to develop a feel for its strengths and limitations. If you suddenly changed pets, even if it's just a higher-level version, the stats and skill levels would be just different enough from the previous pet that either you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of it (e.g. because you're playing it safe with aggro when you don't really need to due to the new pet having higher level aggro skills), or it could get you killed (because you think the pet can handle a situation when it can't). But it's really your decision to make.
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    angyl wrote: »
    I've been looking for a comprehensive guide which exposes pets weaknesses and gives you a push in the right direction for upgrading their skills or buying new ones. If anybody knows where I can find some information it would be much appreciated!

I currently have (none of them have been upgraded)

Volcanic Magmite

Petite Sawfly

Antelope Pup

Eldergoth Marksman

Thanks

If you tame a higher level version of your current pet, you will be continually down grading their stats which will eventually net you a pet with much lower stats than it should have. The only time you should actually consider taming a higher level pet instead of leveling a lower level pet is when your current pet is much much lower than your character's level. An example is the water pet, and it's the only time I'd actually advise taming a higher level pet because there is just not enough water mob quests that necessitate keeping a water pet around all the time which makes it hard to keep a water pet leveled, especially as the XP required to level a pet gets higher.

Players switch out the Sawfly for a Foxwing not because of the skills they come with, but because the Sawfly family is for DPS (higher attack, lower defense), and the Foxwing family is for tanking (lower Attack, higher defense).

Also, not a lot of players actually swap out their pets for a higher starting level pet. Some do swap out for a pet from a different family (sub family) that has different strengths like a Guardian Wolf is a better at tanking than a Sharptooth Wolfling because they are different sub-families of the wolf family.

Unless you're constantly strapped for coin, upgrading a pet's skills and keeping a the pet you've been leveling shouldn't be a problem even if you are aiming to get a Herc/Phoenix when you hit 70+. Considering that with a volcanic, the skill upgrades will run 600k if you get the Herc before 80, or hold off on getting that last skill upgrade before getting the herc, and while 600k might seem like a big number at first, it's nothing when compared to how much you make grinding.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    If you tame a higher level version of your current pet, you will be continually down grading their stats which will eventually net you a pet with much lower stats than it should have.

Not really true. HP, Def, etc will go down slightly but speed and skills go up.
    The only time you should actually consider taming a higher level pet instead of leveling a lower level pet is when your current pet is much much lower than your character's level.

Not really true. For example: If you're going for a Nix, I wouldn't bother sinking coin into a petite sawfly when you can get comparable faster bugs along the way with the skill upgrades already on them.

From http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/petstat.php :
    :::::::::::::::: HP Atk P.def M.def Acc. Dodge Atk/s m/s
    Petite Sawfly 2279 3297 5921 5921 1976 1215 0.6 8.8
    Goldenwing 2229 2943 5788 6367 1932 1288 0.6 9.2

These are Lvl 90 stats - actual stats will be won't be as much variation. By Lvl 90 a Nix is far easier to obtain than it is to level one.

Sawfly comes with: Bash Lv.1 Toxic Mist Lv.1
    Goldwing with: Bash Lv.2 Toxic Mist Lv.2

-A savings of 400k or ~1/50 of what a Nix is gonna run just in this exchange alone. You will likely kill in the same amount of hits with a goldwing.

This is going on the premise that you plan to get legendary pets and that your air pet and land tanker are disposable. If you don't plan on getting legendary, then you may want to stick with the low level starters.

Another option is to buy one of the leveled / upgraded pets (petite sawfly/ magmite) off of someone that got a nix or herc at the same price you could sell it for. There's plenty available if you ask around.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.