LA Wiz? umm..

ShipWreck - Lost City
ShipWreck - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Wizard
I'm sure its been asked before many times but I'd just like to ask myself.

Pre-90 when wizards start not being so fail (because I dont see myself being 90 anytime soon)..Scratch that, even pre-60..

How does a LA wizzy compare to the likes of an Archer? BM? Barb? Every class really, even a robe wiz?

I know with distance shrink its probably easier to kill a Barb/BM, you just hit them and if they get close, tele away and hit them again, at least thats what I'd assume is the gameplan? Is it?

As an LA do you get 1shotted by BM's and Barbs? or is that only reserved for the robes, because LA has a bit more pdef. Therefore, if thats the case, does an archer kill as fast either? Because the archer relies on phys attacks when killing a wiz, so an LA wiz has a bit more pdef than a robe, making the archer unable to kill as easy because the wiz has great mdef and now, with LA build, a bit more pdef? Or is that pdef so negligible and doesnt even compare when facing an archer, or melee characters.

My BM is lvl 45 and I've killed a few wiz's, all arcane. Bioxvirus, who lets just say has the gear of a goldfish can kill me pretty easy and hes only lvl 50 LA, so with better gear would an LA be really good? or is their pdef still terrible.

I'm trying to decide if I should switch to an archer or an LA wiz, so this could help alot. Plz only respond if you have experience in the matter, aka, plz only respond if your on a PvP server or know what you're talking about, granted if your pking on a PvE server you're probably talented and would know what you're talking about as well. Thanks b:victory
Post edited by ShipWreck - Lost City on

Comments

• WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    LA barb lolz.

Anywho, even arcane's only get one-shotted out of pure luck(crits+powerful/sparked skills) or higher levels, I've had archers threaten to one-shot me and watched them double spark and still take two shots.

You get pretty high defence(Our self buff Stone Barrier gives +100% PDef at lv.10) we can't go full-dex like archers can so our crit is limited to around 5%(without gear) at lv.76-96.

I don't PvP much but my servers best pker is Ayano-Chan(Sage LA wiz), so take that for what it is. I have seen her tank a lv.70+ Axe BM(using his skills).
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    LA should prevent you from getting one shotted.

Not sure about pvp, but LA has a lot of advantages in pve. You'll be able to easily survive everything from TT to Zhen to Rebirth. Rebirth is a big one. Since you think wizards fail pre-90, why not get to 90 as fast as possible?b:victory
  • Damaged - Lost City
    Damaged - Lost City Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Bm's = easiest class, kite around, build chi, tick charm and unleash sutra combo, being LA will result in you being able to tank some of their damage, hard to die with charm unless they chain crit, just avoid when they spark

Barbs = charm burners, get to 51 percent and pray your ice dragon crits (use dmg amps)

Robe classes just build up chi doing whatever you want, spam seals, speaking from experience, most people around my level in robes end up getting one shotted by blade tempest + extreme poison. Same goes for wizard vs wizard, just have a set of robes with good additional element resistances, even a sandstorm crit is likely to hit for about 2.3k and one shot poorly geared opponents.

Just be the worlds best kiter\distance shrinker and make sure you dont end up without distance shrink and a force of will (ie make sure their both not in cool down) and you can survive a small nuclear warhead to the face from any melee class

Im pvping just fine with 2.4k hp 4.2k pdef, only trouble is archers in sick gear that bust your hiero before taking a ginormous **** on your face.
  • ShipWreck - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Bm's = easiest class, kite around, build chi, tick charm and unleash sutra combo, being LA will result in you being able to tank some of their damage, hard to die with charm unless they chain crit, just avoid when they spark

Barbs = charm burners, get to 51 percent and pray your ice dragon crits (use dmg amps)

Robe classes just build up chi doing whatever you want, spam seals, speaking from experience, most people around my level in robes end up getting one shotted by blade tempest + extreme poison. Same goes for wizard vs wizard, just have a set of robes with good additional element resistances, even a sandstorm crit is likely to hit for about 2.3k and one shot poorly geared opponents.

Just be the worlds best kiter\distance shrinker and make sure you dont end up without distance shrink and a force of will (ie make sure their both not in cool down) and you can survive a small nuclear warhead to the face from any melee class

Im pvping just fine with 2.4k hp 4.2k pdef, only trouble is archers in sick gear that bust your hiero before taking a ginormous **** on your face.

So in other words an archer can kill you easily but other classes cant as long as you're LA?
  • Damaged - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Depends on how good you are, I just end up being wrecked by archers, soon as i sutra combo they can wings of grace for invincibility for a while and reduced damage, or stun me. Gl getting off an ult aswell unless you have 2 sparks beforehand, with good gear it'll just tick their charm. There's probably some amazing super duper method on how to almost guarantee victory, look around on forums.

Vit barbs will be hard to kill, so will SMART pure mages, venos with nixes can suck my left toe and watch me sutra portal faster than Usain Bolt with a flaming rod up his ****
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It all depends on if your opponent knows what they're doing, and how well prepared they are. Venos have a tendency to Bramble array then lucky scarab the moment you sutra, then as long as they're robe, they'll be able to tank it out and then kill you. BMs tends to rush and stun instead of letting you kite them. Then you're at their mercy.
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I won't respond to the whole PK thing since I ended up on a PvE server (noob mistake but lol it's fun anyways); I do know a little bit about the LA build though:

Right now I have 2.8k HP (spent a lot on shards, wizzies can do that cuz we grind for cash fast), & 3.7k p.def (lv. 10 earth barrier). To put that in perspective, my grinding buddy (a lv. 67 barb) only has 4.4k p.def in human form with decent armor (3* & average garnet shards).

In TWs I'm a 3-4 hit kill for lv. 80+ archers (provided they don't crit). Barbs can't even get to me (gush -> blin-> gush -> SS -> etc.) & any time i crit their heiro it's a 3 hit kill afterward (up to lv. 85 or so). BMs, well if they have their sprint skill maxed then they will eat us up; if not then one stone rain should be able to tick their charms (within 5 levels of you) then it's just SS -> gush -> pyro -> gush should finish them off. The robe classes... well someone else has better advice & experience than me.

My crit is at 8% right now, and yes this makes a huge impact on how well you DD.

And about the damage thing: well I 3-hit mobs my level, so do pure mages...
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Depends on how good you are, I just end up being wrecked by archers, soon as i sutra combo they can wings of grace for invincibility for a while and reduced damage, or stun me. Gl getting off an ult aswell unless you have 2 sparks beforehand, with good gear it'll just tick their charm. There's probably some amazing super duper method on how to almost guarantee victory, look around on forums.

Vit barbs will be hard to kill, so will SMART pure mages, venos with nixes can suck my left toe and watch me sutra portal faster than Usain Bolt with a flaming rod up his ****

There is...
    it's called undine strike.

Gush + Sandstorm = two shot any unbuffed archer, and any baddie buffed archers.

It's annoying when gush ticks their hiero though, kinda ruins it all.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    you wont get one shotted by BMs and Archers, but you get one shotted by clerics now b:cry

Thats why i went from LA > pure
    with pdef ornament i only take 700 from plume shot and 900 from razor feathers. Also as a 58 LA wiz, a 67 archer still could get 1k hits on me with crits b:cry
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    The LA armor makes a wonderful difference in Pdef for Wizards, especially with Stone shield running and a Life Powder in use. It isn't enough to keep you alive if you just stand there, but if you get hit and get going, you can actually get away with your life intact.

The following were when I was 31, 32, and 33. Light Armor, Stone shield. First and last were also with Life Powder already running.

Vs 7x Barb: It took 3 shots to kill me. It was my first time and while I responded quickly (I saw him coming) my screen locked up. So I got to watch the hits land very clearly XD

Vs ?x Archer (5x-7x?): It took 4 shots to kill me and I wasn't fully buffed. Not sure what level he was but he fought another red name for a long time after that before he died.

Vs ?x Archer (3x-5x?): The first time he came for me I was fighting a mob my level. He hit me between 6 & 8 times while the mob landed about 3 more. The mob finally killed me as I lagged and it cornered me.

Vs same ?x Archer: He hit me once and I was outta there, no lag that time XD He gave up and went the other way. He was trying to PK my husband's BM for the longest time but didn't manage to do more than irritate his charm once. If I hadn't been fighting the tree at the same time as the archer was attacking, I probably would have been fine too. Trouble was I was already tanking the tree >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    LA is the way to go if you're worried about pkers. If you aren't planning on putting in some serious leveling time you most likely won't enjoy this class. Might want to choose something different
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    well LA is ok until you have to do TW or something like that...
    once people see your LA, you can expect a lot more tempests hitting you in TW b:cry

besides that, LA is a very nice build with good pdef. A LA wizard in my guild tanked a world boss for us pretty cool but i rather be the one doing the DD b:pleased
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
  • Damaged - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    you wont get one shotted by BMs and Archers, but you get one shotted by clerics now b:cry

Thats why i went from LA > pure
    with pdef ornament i only take 700 from plume shot and 900 from razor feathers. Also as a 58 LA wiz, a 67 archer still could get 1k hits on me with crits b:cry

not at all, plume shot hits me for 700s, my spells hit for about 500s, only difference is when I blade tempest them with extreme poison, they drop like a sack of potatoes, and I tank their tempest with 1k hp remaining, same goes for most robe clerics i've fought (70 vs 75, 77, and 74 clerics with hp shards)

would probably be different if they were FAC and levelled tempest considerably, but with a charm and chi we can certainly take them (from RVP experience)
  • ShipWreck - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    I don't think I'd really want to always have to be running away when someone attacks me..Normally on my BM I just let them kill me if they are clearly over my level but say a BM of the same level decides they want to kill me: Rather than running, would I be able to stand a chance killing him/her? And archers have the reputation of being the killer of all squishies, does the LA build still remain as squishy or is it enough pdef to stand the fight now?Kinda thinking I'll just go archer but the distance shrink seems like a much better way for kiting, and I don't see how an archer could kite as well. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if by going LA, with the better ability to kite using distance shrink, is it better than an archer? or as good at least? The damage is probably better, but slower attack speed and all..b:puzzled
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    You wouldn't want to fight a Barbarian your level, since their HP bar will be about twice yours. A Blademaster's HP bar will be about the size of your MP bar if you're statting LA, which is almost double your HP bar. On the other hand, their MP bar is half the size of yours. So if you can survive his hits without getting stunned, you might be able to outpower him.

I've been talking with some Archers today, and it seems like their HP bars are about the same as a Wizard's - or worse. I've just discovered that my Lv 33 Wiz HP is higher than a Lv 47 Archer's HP. I'll be double checking my Vit #s to see how the heck that can happen, but I know I didn't put much in there - I'm focusing on 3 mag 1 str 1 dex to follow the LA build o0;

So I think you can actually fight back against an archer. I'll probably be trying it myself next time one comes after me. The ones sniping at me so far have been within about 20-30 levels of me so I'd like to test out the results of a few spells cast their way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    not at all, plume shot hits me for 700s, my spells hit for about 500s, only difference is when I blade tempest them with extreme poison, they drop like a sack of potatoes, and I tank their tempest with 1k hp remaining, same goes for most robe clerics i've fought (70 vs 75, 77, and 74 clerics with hp shards)

would probably be different if they were FAC and levelled tempest considerably, but with a charm and chi we can certainly take them (from RVP experience)

im a pure mag wizard atm (restatted again). plume hits me for 700 and your LA and get hit for 700...something is wrong here isnt it? spells = LOL should i even speak about spells.

ALL MAG NO DEX
  • Damaged - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    im a pure mag wizard atm (restatted again). plume hits me for 700 and your LA and get hit for 700...something is wrong here isnt it? spells = LOL should i even speak about spells.

ALL MAG NO DEX

im fighting 7\8x that actually invest into gear, not just using unrefined ancient arbors

fought 7x FAC yesterday that was hitting constant 1.2k plume shots on 4.9k pdef yeh hi
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    if u have 4.9k pdef that's about ~58-60% dmg reduction.
    that means that lvl 71 cleric is actually doing 2.7k dmg on you, in PVP, and that's over 10k in PvE on a mob lvl 1. Quite a big number unless he's in the high 70x, but you can still FoW him and drop a SS and a gush before he hits you again. He will feel those shots, believe me. At that lvl, when wizzies have unrefined gear, Plume hits hard expecially from a FAC cleric. 10 lvls after when it makes sense to refine at least to +3 and put some Flawless Citrines/Garnets on gear will hurt less and HP will be bigger. And you'll have Soporific Whisper and Undine to pissoff the cleric. Ain't gonna be easy, you'll win some and lose some, but hey, losing some makes it interesting, winning makes it fun.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]