Does running stunts your growth?!

Options
chibibatdollz
chibibatdollz Posts: 202 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
My cousin asked me the question because her mom wants her to grow horizontal and not vertical... >.>
Post edited by chibibatdollz on

Comments

• Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    Ihazacute - Sanctuary Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. This is just friendly advice. [/disclaimer]

I have never seen any medical studies that show running stunts or enhances growth. So run because you enjoy it and for the excercise, but don't expect it to make you taller. And don't, you know, trip on a rock and break your leg. That could be detrimental.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Azlin - Sanctuary
    Azlin - Sanctuary Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    well it maybe does make u taller if u run becuz thats what my dad told me to do if i wanna grow taller by runningb:pleased
  • Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Well, I wish you luck then. Exercise (not specifically running per se) is great and increases all sorts of things like muscle mass and bone density. I really doubt it has any significant effect on height, but I can't say it doesn't.

Don't stress too much about height. Just stay away from the things that could stunt it and you'll be fine.
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Height is mostly (but not entirely) determined by genetics, health (not nessisarly athletic fitness as far as I'm aware) and nutrition growing up. By the time you hit 18 - 21 you'll stop growing height-wise. I stopped growing shortly after I hit 15.
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You are correct. Genetics are the biggie, but poor physical well-being can negatively influence that. Sleep deprivation is actually one of the major ones for teens. It won't cut off a foot of your potential, but it doesn't do you any favors.

As far as when people stop, it does vary a lot. The OP is in their "teens" which could still give them another several years to grow. There's no end to storys of people shooting up a foot after they get to college; one of the guys i knew in college did this, and it's more common in males then females.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    girls stop growing at around 15 guy at about 21

stop trying to overcomplicate things ihazacute you nooob

(random evilness dont take personally pls)
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • FedTehNoob - Lost City
    FedTehNoob - Lost City Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    One of my friends from High School was around 5'5" as a freshman, and 6'7" as a Senior XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Options
    girls stop growing at around 15 guy at about 21

stop trying to overcomplicate things ihazacute you nooob

(random evilness dont take personally pls)

=P

simple enough? b:cute
  • chibibatdollz
    chibibatdollz Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Ahh,I hope that's true( even though growth ends varies), because I'm trying to grow 4 more inches and been trying to stay in fit for 2 weeks now. (spending my whole summer on it ,lol). I kind of blame myself for last summer, staying in front of the computer 7hrs averageb:angryb:cry