Fastest vs Slowest speed.

Options
Vorawrcious - Harshlands
Vorawrcious - Harshlands Posts: 53 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
Is it stated anywhere how many gameland meters it is from one end of the PWI map to the other or the maps total area in fake meters? If so, i have the following question for anyone who cares to try and figure it out.

1. How long would it take the fastest character type, with top lvl buff, and with the fastest flyer to go from the NW corner of map to the SE corner of map?

2. How long would it take the slowest character type with the slowest basic lvl 30 flyer to go from NW corner of map to the SE corner of map?

Players can not use Distant Shrink or potions to affect speed. Well if you want to figure it out with Distant Shrink and/or postions, enjoy, but i think that would be impossible.
Post edited by Vorawrcious - Harshlands on

Comments

• OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Everyone flies at the same speed, and there are no apoth pots that I know of that increase flying speed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SinisterDevi - Heavens Tear
    SinisterDevi - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Not "Everyone" flies at the same speed. Different mounts go different speeds, different wings go different speeds. b:cute b:chuckle
    b:dirtyb:kiss
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Everyone flies at the same speed, and there are no apoth pots that I know of that increase flying speed.

Flying speed adds to your walk/run speed, therefore a wizard or cleric can fly at most 7.8 m/s (that is without any +increased speed gear, AND 3.0 aerogear); and (I am not sure about this though) Blademasters and Archers should be able to go 8.2 m/s (again w/o +increased speed effects, AND 3.0 aerogear).

But an offtopic question: Does the Tiger Form speed increase adds to the flying speed as well? (Barbs have base speed of 5.1 m/s IIRC, but True Form grants them 7.9 m/s base speed)
  • Axemanek - Heavens Tear
    Axemanek - Heavens Tear Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    im not sure of the tiger form thing, but as a BM i know that we travel at 8m/ps with a +3.0 flying mount
    I Want To Eat Estasi & Send Her Into Extasy!! b:victory

May The Force Not Be With You!
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    im not sure of the tiger form thing, but as a BM i know that we travel at 8m/ps with a +3.0 flying mount

So 5.0 m/s for BM, gotcha...
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options

Moon chaser powder, lvl 1 apoth potion, increases all movement speed by 40% for 15 seconds [including flight].
  • XKIAx - Heavens Tear
    XKIAx - Heavens Tear Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Flying speed adds to your walk/run speed, therefore a wizard or cleric can fly at most 7.8 m/s (that is without any +increased speed gear, AND 3.0 aerogear); and (I am not sure about this though) Blademasters and Archers should be able to go 8.2 m/s (again w/o +increased speed effects, AND 3.0 aerogear).

But an offtopic question: Does the Tiger Form speed increase adds to the flying speed as well? (Barbs have base speed of 5.1 m/s IIRC, but True Form grants them 7.9 m/s base speed)

I dont know about true form, but summer sprint for a veno doesnt affect flying speed.
    So maybe its only base speed that affects it.
    edited June 2009
    Options
    LoL even though it doesnt improve my speed, i still use cloud sprint just becuase it looks cool xD

• Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options

Flying speed is a constant value and is the same for all (from what testing I did, its damn near 5.0m/s). Its independent of your character's land speed (which does vary for each class).
    So everyone with a +3 aero moves at roughly 8.0m/s (assuming theres no climbing/descending going on).

And Barbs move at 4.9m/s by default and 7.3m/s in tigerform (level3). These speed buffs are added to the character's land speed only and dont affect flying speed.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Guardgodess - Sanctuary
    Guardgodess - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    this is what i was told...

the flying speed is calculated with a base speed plus the +speed shown on the aerogears AND the base speed in the same for all classes, which is 5m/s

don't think it will be possible to test it out, as a little lag and rune and results completely, also, neither does it matter. this is because, even if the base speed is the same as the walking speed, the difference in flying speed will only be out by 0.4m/s at most.

Edit. damn you Hazardus, one step in front of me
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Flying speed is a constant value and is the same for all (from what testing I did, its damn near 5.0m/s). Its independent of your character's land speed (which does vary for each class).
    So everyone with a +3 aero moves at roughly 8.0m/s (assuming theres no climbing/descending going on).

And Barbs move at 4.9m/s by default and 7.3m/s in tigerform (level3). These speed buffs are added to the character's land speed only and dont affect flying speed.

Ah, then the 7.9 m/s is from sage true form, my apologies.... Got the info from my faction barb that happened to be 90 at that point, and 99 as we speak...
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Moon chaser powder, lvl 1 apoth potion, increases all movement speed by 40% for 15 seconds [including flight].
    What? o.O

I was sure moon chaser works just like BM's cloud sprint, which does NOT increase flying speed. Can anyone confirm this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    What? o.O

I was sure moon chaser works just like BM's cloud sprint, which does NOT increase flying speed. Can anyone confirm this?

You are correct. You just feel like you're going faster because of the streaks behind you when in the air. Same as venos who think they fly faster with sprint active.
    edited June 2009
    Options
    LOL i always thought it was faster, just because it looked it xD

• Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You are almost right here. Flight Speed IS determined by a Base flying speed but NOT all races are the same. Elves are slightly faster than anyone else because their Base speed is slightly higher. (No, I am not talking about Flight Mastery as that only applies to their natural wings) But it is a slight difference and one that only gets annoying if you are trying to "Follow" one as some other race over long distances (They will eventually lose you).
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Not "Everyone" flies at the same speed. Different mounts go different speeds, different wings go different speeds. b:cute b:chuckle

For those too dense to understand what I said.

The OP inferred that flight speed is based on the character's base movement speed when it is not, and actually is the same for each class, therefore, everyone's flight speed is the same before modification.

I will ensure to use smaller words so you can understand better next time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Flying speed is unrelated to ground speed, walking speed, speed stats on equipments, and almost all speed buffs (summer sprint, wings of protection, etc).

Flying speed = 5.0m/s + speed on wings

The only other things that effect flying speed are the genie skill that specifically does this and the accelerate action.

Try having an archer and cleric with the same wings fly somewhere far, you get there at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Amsel - Sanctuary
    Amsel - Sanctuary Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Was said by Gms long time ago :O

all mounts fly at the same speed regardless of race, so cleric with +3 wings flys just as fast as veno with +3 mount
  • Vazil - Sanctuary
    Vazil - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hmm..summer sprint does not affect flight speed?

Odd, because my speed increases, as reported in the character screen, when I use summer sprint on my +2.5 flying mount (from 5.9 to 6.3 m/s or something similar). Whether that is an actual increase in speed is debatable as I've not tested flying from point A to B with/without summer sprint; but I have seen where I "caught up" to someone I was following (in flight) only after I used summer sprint. Further, there are too many random variables that affect movement in general - I run/fly a heck of a lot faster through Lost City than I do Archo West.
  • DarkRings - Sanctuary
    DarkRings - Sanctuary Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    True Form grants me 10m/s b:sin
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options

I have been pointing this out to questions like this land is land and air is air unless the higher you the faster you go.This what real flying is like as the air thins out at higher altitudes.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Flying speed adds to your walk/run speed

+movement armor does not affect your flying speed. (I tested it)
    edited June 2009
    Options
    True Form grants me 10m/s b:sin

REALLY??????
    wow

• eli003
    eli003 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    "unless the higher you the faster you go.This what real flying is like"

The greater distance covered faster at higher altitudes is because of less air resistance; however because of the curvature of the Earth, more ground has to be covered. It's the principle that if a bicycle wheel turns so far, the inner hub covers a smaller distance than the outer tire. In a game, all surfaces are planar. There is no curvature. It's a box; you could fall off the end of the map. Also, the thinner air that reduces the drag on jets at high altitudes isn't available to birds flying under 20,000 ft who need oxygen. (In a propeller airplane, oxygen masks are needed at 12,500 ft. and 20,000 ft. needs a turbo-propellor to pull the thinner air through faster so the plane doesn't fall. Jets rely on thrusters to push air behind the plane.) Assuming Winged Elves need oxygen (and I do), their flight under 20,000 ft cancels any speed benefits from thinner air and less drag.

So, without any speed benefits in game or in reality, the only factor remaining is distance. If a player climbs or descends, they are not moving forward as fast as if they were level (because they're moving vertically not horizontally) but once higher up they still do not gain any speed over the ground. They are just higher up in "the box." If a player descends, they don't make up for the time lost climbing earlier, they just make a prettier landing. Gravity assists landing speeds in real aircraft; but in a game, there is no gravity (just as the wings are merely graphics attached to a "skin" not really keeping your charater "aloft" against any gravity). Characters swim through air like they swim through the "water."

Landing vertically like a plummeting UFO is fastest. Climbing to higher aerial planes only helps to avoid ground enemies, but flying too high aggros aerial monsters. Keeping a low but direct flight pattern is fastest (or use a faster land mount to outrun aggro along a direct path, but if the land is "hilly" you might opt for flying to "level" the extra ground you will otherwise have to cover). Being able to travel over level ground or level aerial planes will move your character the fastest between areas. Every other option is for the scenic route. Enjoy!

Another example:

Picture a square with a large rectangle of "trees" along the bottom. Using a string to represent a flight path, connect the two bottom corners of the square. If you go higher in the box than necessary to go around the obstacle, you only add distance and time to your travel. It takes a longer string to "fly" higher between the ground points.

This might already be implemented in the game, but if a character or NPC were descending, their speed could be increased depending on their incline and climbing could be slowed based on their incline. This would give a sense of the effects of gravity.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    These thread was from a year ago . . so it's a necro day !!b:surrender

But it's nice that kind of explanation, but i think not many people here would understand it i guess . . b:surrender
    I like it because it talk about the game mechanic . . not a fantasy like explanation. Just a program
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • stealthxbomber
    stealthxbomber Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    wrong thread a_a
  • Deteriorate - Harshlands
    Deteriorate - Harshlands Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Necro like its 2010!
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    Chadric - Heavens Tear Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hmm..summer sprint does not affect flight speed?

Odd, because my speed increases, as reported in the character screen, when I use summer sprint on my +2.5 flying mount (from 5.9 to 6.3 m/s or something similar). Whether that is an actual increase in speed is debatable as I've not tested flying from point A to B with/without summer sprint; but I have seen where I "caught up" to someone I was following (in flight) only after I used summer sprint. Further, there are too many random variables that affect movement in general - I run/fly a heck of a lot faster through Lost City than I do Archo West.

no it's not odd.... since speed in the stats window is your WALKING (well running) on ground speed. Take one person from each class..... all 3.0 wings, assuming neither one of u are lagging you'll ALL fly together. summper sprint, apoth speed increases... speed buffs like on sin do not do **** to your flying speed.

And my friend and i just happened to test this with 4 diff toons at the same time quite a few times.

Edit: damn it stupid necros lol
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    eli003 wrote: »
    "unless the higher you the faster you go.This what real flying is like"

The greater distance covered faster at higher altitudes is because of less air resistance; however because of the curvature of the Earth, more ground has to be covered. It's the principle that if a bicycle wheel turns so far, the inner hub covers a smaller distance than the outer tire. In a game, all surfaces are planar. There is no curvature. It's a box; you could fall off the end of the map. Also, the thinner air that reduces the drag on jets at high altitudes isn't available to birds flying under 20,000 ft who need oxygen. (In a propeller airplane, oxygen masks are needed at 12,500 ft. and 20,000 ft. needs a turbo-propellor to pull the thinner air through faster so the plane doesn't fall. Jets rely on thrusters to push air behind the plane.) Assuming Winged Elves need oxygen (and I do), their flight under 20,000 ft cancels any speed benefits from thinner air and less drag.

So, without any speed benefits in game or in reality, the only factor remaining is distance. If a player climbs or descends, they are not moving forward as fast as if they were level (because they're moving vertically not horizontally) but once higher up they still do not gain any speed over the ground. They are just higher up in "the box." If a player descends, they don't make up for the time lost climbing earlier, they just make a prettier landing. Gravity assists landing speeds in real aircraft; but in a game, there is no gravity (just as the wings are merely graphics attached to a "skin" not really keeping your charater "aloft" against any gravity). Characters swim through air like they swim through the "water."

Landing vertically like a plummeting UFO is fastest. Climbing to higher aerial planes only helps to avoid ground enemies, but flying too high aggros aerial monsters. Keeping a low but direct flight pattern is fastest (or use a faster land mount to outrun aggro along a direct path, but if the land is "hilly" you might opt for flying to "level" the extra ground you will otherwise have to cover). Being able to travel over level ground or level aerial planes will move your character the fastest between areas. Every other option is for the scenic route. Enjoy!

Another example:

Picture a square with a large rectangle of "trees" along the bottom. Using a string to represent a flight path, connect the two bottom corners of the square. If you go higher in the box than necessary to go around the obstacle, you only add distance and time to your travel. It takes a longer string to "fly" higher between the ground points.

This might already be implemented in the game, but if a character or NPC were descending, their speed could be increased depending on their incline and climbing could be slowed based on their incline. This would give a sense of the effects of gravity.

Lol, what the hell man...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Necro threads like it's the end of the world (in 2014)!
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
This discussion has been closed.