Veno moneymaking

drake01
drake01 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Venomancer
So I've read the general moneymaking guide posted on the forums and started living like a penny pincher, but even at that im only making ~100k a day, including quest rewards. Granted I'm still low leveled as a veno, but is there any way to make more money? I know that selling pets, especially legendary and all class, is one way, but the price gouging and noob abuse makes it a fairly annoying market. Would solo FB runs be a good idea? Or is there some better method?
Post edited by drake01 on

Comments

• Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well it depends on what level you are.

You'll find that at 60 money really (for some bizarre reason) really starts flowing in.

Do you catshop/AH good drops? That's going to make you some nice cash as well. Especially materials like herbs, iron, wood, etc. will really bring you some nice cash.

Never teleport, umm, never buy NPC equips, never put more than average shards in your armor. Don't buy DQ items or fashion, basically don't buy anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear
    Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well it depends on what level you are.

You'll find that at 60 money really (for some bizarre reason) really starts flowing in.

Do you catshop/AH good drops? That's going to make you some nice cash as well. Especially materials like herbs, iron, wood, etc. will really bring you some nice cash.

Never teleport, umm, never buy NPC equips, never put more than average shards in your armor. Don't buy DQ items or fashion, basically don't buy anything.
    you are the reason we have a recession :)
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    I'm a single handed PWI recession makin' machine! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    For the most part, you won't be seeing much money until around 40+ unless you're selling all crafting mats that drop (oil, leather, thread type materials are always good to sell to players). After 40, you can start really doing some grinding, and start raking in money from NPCing DQ items. Just try to find mobs you can kill quickly, who are 3-4 levels lower than you, and you'll start making good money. For the most part, running FBs for drops is a bit of a gamble if you're more than 10 levels higher than the boss. Doing TT runs at 60+ is, by some, a good money maker, but there are only certain bosses you can do solo, and most of the drops from those bosses are already being flooded into the economy.

By level 70+, the 140k or so you get per hour from grinding ends up being quite a bit more economical (between buying/running around for US mats, using drugs/genie to run through to the bosses, time spent spam healing pet) you end up earning more from the time grinding than you would even from a fairly good run. All without needing to have a herc.
  • Thc - Harshlands
    Thc - Harshlands Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I really get annoyed by the fact that people TRY to save money on teleporting.
    Say you have to go to fb39. This would take around 10minutes depending on what aerogear u got. the costs are 5k (?) with illusion stone. ok u save 5k but in those 10minutes you could have made like 20-30k already from mobs.

so basicly, to save money, use teleport instead of flying to save time.
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Say you have to go to fb39. This would take around 10minutes depending on what aerogear u got. the costs are 5k (?) with illusion stone. ok u save 5k but in those 10minutes you could have made like 20-30k already from mobs.

While from a practical standpoint I understand and agree with what you're saying, I often fly instead of teleporting.

I like having a few minutes of "down" time to either talk to guildies (which can be difficult if you're full-on grinding), or to step afk and get a drink/make a sandwich/play with the dog/read the newspaper/etc...

To the OP: not sure what level you are, but if you are indeed "low", I'd say 100k/day is not a bad profit at all. If you're pinching pennies and making that much money so early, you'll find your money making ability will continually improve.

Also, never bother with Dragon Quest. Sell the drops; they're often a staple in terms of money-making.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited June 2009

It depends on where you're flying to, why you're going there, and when you need to be there.

You can tele quite economically between some areas, whilst it is completely foolish to teleport between other places. If you're teleporting all over the place all the time, you're going to lose cash. If you teleport only when you need to, only when you have to be somewhere in a fairly timely fashion, then you'll save cash in the long run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Valdea - Dreamweaver
    Valdea - Dreamweaver Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    The problem I seem to have when I try to make money is that the mobs I'm killing don't drop squat. You really need to find a good spot where the mobs drop items (preffereably dq items) often.
    (and if anyone knows of a spot like this could the let me know where it is b:laugh)

Also, I have a question, is it better to NPC the DQ items you get, or do they actually sell in cat shops?
  • drake01
    drake01 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Hm so solo fb runs wouldn't be a good idea at all then? And in general, is pet farming a viable way to make money?

My veno is only in the 20s now, but I found that she's much easier to level/grind with then other characters (lvl 50 archer, lvl 72 mage), and in general saves on repair costs and picks up more drops as I never have to join a squad to complete grind quests.

As for the DQ drops, I found that all drops (21-71) sell rather quickly in the cat shops for double the NPC price. The exception being soft fur, which no one ever seems to want =/.

An alternative I found to teleporting all over the place is investing in a land/flying mount from the cash shop. A fully upgraded sting ray or land mount greatly helps while questing, and in the long run is way more beneficial than teleport fees/slow traveling.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    That's a good general alternative to teleporting, drake, but you'll still have instances where you need to be somewhere quickly, so it's good to learn some cheap teleportation options. My favorite is between any of the major cities > city of the lost > wellspring village. That will be only 1.2k as opposed to the 3k it costs to teleport straight to arch from any of the 3 starter cites and wellspring is just across the river from arch. This follows for covering the continent quickly by teleporting etherblade to plume and back. It's worth the 1k to save 10 minutes of flying time. However, if you're teleporting between swiftwind and sumor camp for 5k, you're wasting your money.

At mid 20s a veno with a leveled golem should be able to solo FB19. This can be a good money maker with 3* items and if you're lucky, a mold that might sell for 100-200k. The real money from FBs starts coming at 59+, and when you're 80+ I hear the only way to go is TT.

Selling in-demand DQs is a good way to make money. Start planning now: if you plan to DQ for exp/spirit/orders for molds, mounts, save every DQ you get and don't sell any of them. If you don't plan to DQ, sell the in-demand DQs to players and NPC the rest. You'll rake in a LOT of cash very quickly by doing this, especially starting in your 40s.

Pet farming is a hit-or-miss kind of deal. I found that I was simply not patient enough to do it. What you might consider is leveling your veno more, getting hold of some good channeling gear and channeling powders, and doing it then. While rare pet taming can make you quite a bit of cash, it always requires a certain amount of luck and a great deal of patience. I don't have that kind of patience but if you do, it's very low cost for a very high return if you can get the hang of it. Taming regular mobs for sale is simply not profitable at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Death - Harshlands
    Death - Harshlands Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Also, I have a question, is it better to NPC the DQ items you get, or do they actually sell in cat shops?

NPC most of it... however stuff like Dull Claw, Element Fragments, Element Essence, and to a lesser extent the banker quest DQ, are the exception.

If you can't catshop it, the auction house works too.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    That's a good general alternative to teleporting, drake, but you'll still have instances where you need to be somewhere quickly, so it's good to learn some cheap teleportation options. My favorite is between any of the major cities > city of the lost > wellspring village. That will be only 1.2k as opposed to the 3k it costs to teleport straight to arch from any of the 3 starter cites and wellspring is just across the river from arch. This follows for covering the continent quickly by teleporting etherblade to plume and back. It's worth the 1k to save 10 minutes of flying time. However, if you're teleporting between swiftwind and sumor camp for 5k, you're wasting your money.
    Swiftwind to Sumor at that level (40s), I agree 5k is too much. But at your level (40+) talk to the Adventure Assistant (the one by the big dog) and port into the Cube. It's free, and when you exit the Cube it drops you in NE Archosaur.

Even then, I've started just paying the 3k cost to teleport straight to Archo instead of taking a 1 minute detour in the Cube. The stuff in Dreaming Cloud and the Swamp dies in about 10-15 seconds, and each drops 200-500 coin with about a 20% chance for DQs which NPC for 2500-2900. That's about 3000 coin a minute average. Add in the extra time it takes to run from NE Archo to where I need to get (usually S or W Archo), and it costs me less to just pay 3k for the direct port.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Ah how stupid of me, how could I forget the free Arch tele >_<

If you're trying to pinch every possible penny out of your grinding moments, and from the fact that the OP says he has a land mount, it's worth saving the 1.8k by doing starter city > lost > wellspring IF you're travelling to arch many times a day to say, check cat shops, meet PTs, put stuff in AH, etc. You can of course economize your travel but at his level he's likey to want to squeeze every cent out of his grinding; I too tele to archstraight away but that is because I'm sitting in the swamps myself and 3k is much easier to come by when the mobs drop 250-500 coin per, as opposed to the 50 coin that I used to receive in lower levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]