ask for help but don't know what you need?

CJ7 - Sanctuary
CJ7 - Sanctuary Posts: 74 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
ok this is just a little advice for people that ask for help with bosses in world chat. if someone pm's you and says "i'll help", you should assume that this individual knows how to help and is capable of helping. for example yesterday i offered to help a veno kill krimson eyes, veno asks what class are you? i respond "im a bm". veno says "thanks but we need a 60 plus barb :)". 15 minutes later i was in the area doing world quest and noticed this same veno dead on the ground surrounded by a full squad of dead people. i proceeded to kill krimson while they lay there dead, sorry not a nice thing to do, but it really makes me mad when i try to help someone and they just leave me out because they "know what they need".
Post edited by CJ7 - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Eriestrength - Sanctuary
    Eriestrength - Sanctuary Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ok this is just a little advice for people that ask for help with bosses in world chat. if someone pm's you and says "i'll help", you should assume that this individual knows how to help and is capable of helping. for example yesterday i offered to help a veno kill krimson eyes, veno asks what class are you? i respond "im a bm". veno says "thanks but we need a 60 plus barb :)". 15 minutes later i was in the area doing world quest and noticed this same veno dead on the ground surrounded by a full squad of dead people. i proceeded to kill krimson while they lay there dead, sorry not a nice thing to do, but it really makes me mad when i try to help someone and they just leave me out because they "know what they need".

lol had the same problem with some kids and jewelscalen
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2009

At least you didn't rub it in the veno's face like several would have, myself included depending on my mood. Pity people don't seem to realize that if someone's able to offer help for something, that they're probably able to handle it and are more experienced than whoever needs the help... but sadly people don't use their brains to think anymore.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i hate people like that, they underestimate herc, and say, NO I NID A BARB U R NOT A BARB. ive sen it numerous times on virridis, gouf, kong, etc.

i saw you after my 3-1 run today Cj7 >>
  • Stupidus - Heavens Tear
    Stupidus - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i respond "im a bm". veno says "thanks but we need a 60 plus barb :)".

men, imagine a BM with my name b:laugh ... that will give you an inside of what/how ppl think (or mostly dont think)
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i hate people like that, they underestimate herc, and say, NO I NID A BARB U R NOT A BARB. ive sen it numerous times on virridis, gouf, kong, etc.

Wait... Gouf? Are people seriously that stupid? A veno at your level, and they don't think you can do it? Man, I'd fly over there just to beat it down while they watched. Hell, even a Veno at my level can pull it off with a Golem... Actually, I don't even need the Golem... I've seen some dumb things in this game, but that... That ranks in my top 10.
  • Swiftail - Heavens Tear
    Swiftail - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wait... Gouf? Are people seriously that stupid? A veno at your level, and they don't think you can do it? Man, I'd fly over there just to beat it down while they watched. Hell, even a Veno at my level can pull it off with a Golem... Actually, I don't even need the Golem... I've seen some dumb things in this game, but that... That ranks in my top 10.

lvl 63 golem is enough! b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    lvl 63 golem is enough! b:thanks

Hehe. And yet, I bet if you volunteered to do that boss for people, they'd tell you to GTFO. There are some sad, sad, individuals here that think for Bosses that MASSIVE UBER HIGH LEVELS are the only way to defeat them. Gouf's a wimp. I love pounding his head in. Just like I love blowing apart Suzerix, or any other boss I can get my hands on. Sans Jewel, Mantavip, Kong, Krimson, and the last FB51 boss, I can pretty much tank any boss under me either, A: Solo B: With another Veno, or C: With a Cleric. Yet... Nobody, other than friends/faction wants to take me up on my offers. Why? I'll never understand. But back to the OP, who in their right mind would turn down a BM for that position anyway? Even if they didn't have faith in your tanking skills, you're a DD, for Pete's sake... That's like turning down a Cleric because you "need" a Wizard for a Magic Tank. *facepalm*
  • Reinef - Heavens Tear
    Reinef - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Hehe. And yet, I bet if you volunteered to do that boss for people, they'd tell you to GTFO. There are some sad, sad, individuals here that think for Bosses that MASSIVE UBER HIGH LEVELS are the only way to defeat them. Gouf's a wimp. I love pounding his head in. Just like I love blowing apart Suzerix, or any other boss I can get my hands on. Sans Jewel, Mantavip, Kong, Krimson, and the last FB51 boss, I can pretty much tank any boss under me either, A: Solo B: With another Veno, or C: With a Cleric. Yet... Nobody, other than friends/faction wants to take me up on my offers. Why? I'll never understand. But back to the OP, who in their right mind would turn down a BM for that position anyway? Even if they didn't have faith in your tanking skills, you're a DD, for Pete's sake... That's like turning down a Cleric because you "need" a Wizard for a Magic Tank. *facepalm*

OMG THANK YOU. I got scoffed at as a mag tank when I'm a full mag cleric X( Because you know, the fact that I can heal back any damage I take on top of dish out either phys or mag base damage are totally insignificant facts. Go figure hehe
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    OMG THANK YOU. I got scoffed at as a mag tank when I'm a full mag cleric X( Because you know, the fact that I can heal back any damage I take on top of dish out either phys or mag base damage are totally insignificant facts. Go figure hehe

No kidding, right? Of course, by a complete opposite standpoint, I loved it when I went to take out Suzerix the first time. This lovely Cleric was passing by, and offered to heal. She mentioned that she needed a Wizard to heal, and we pointed out that I was a Veno. Instead of arguing, she immediately laughed, and said that would do just fine. And it did. It worked beautifully well. She was actually one of the smart people playing this game. She knew the normal solution, but immediately realized that there was a viable alternative.

And I have to thank her, because that moment, right there, was a defining moment in how I've played PW ever since. It was at that point, that I understood exactly the power I could hold. And, I've been tanking Magic Bosses ever since. Of course, being LA, I have to switch over to robes to tank them, and we all can pretty much assume that opposed to you, I'll never be quite as good of a magic tank, but like the OP has brought up, this is a game where there are multiple ways to acheive a common goal.
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited May 2009

^^Agree completely here. If I don't feel like finding a squad for bosses, I'll poke whatever boss I have to kill just to see how hard it hits me. If a few ironhearts can cover the damage, then voila! Clerics become perfectly reasonable tanks.

And another point: people who demand multiple high level clerics for lvl 40/50/60 bosses. Stop overhealing things! In many cases, clerics know how to heal and purify; we're capable of multitasking a bit!

I agree with the OP. Most people know their limits, and any volunteers for help shouldn't be rejected just because it isn't *exactly* what you are looking for.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited May 2009

So true! Clerics are just as good magic tanks as any other robe wearer, if not even better as they can drop a heal or purify on themselves between hits if needed.
    I remember that a cleric friend (~lvl60 then) called me to help with lvl49 cult.bosses. After I told him that he can easily tank Drake, he tried it and finished without problems. Since then he calls me only for Kashu, Fugma and Architect...

What amazes me... I (not pet) have tanked Slither many times. I used to do it with two clerics at lower lvls and later just with one... But now ppl better looks for a wizard to tank him even though I am in the squad already...

Be flexible and creative, people. b:bye
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    So true! Clerics are just as good magic tanks as any other robe wearer, if not even better as they can drop a heal or purify on themselves between hits if needed.
    I remember that a cleric friend (~lvl60 then) called me to help with lvl49 cult.bosses. After I told him that he can easily tank Drake, he tried it and finished without problems. Since then he calls me only for Kashu, Fugma and Architect...

What amazes me... I (not pet) have tanked Slither many times. I used to do it with two clerics at lower lvls and later just with one... But now ppl better looks for a wizard to tank him even though I am in the squad already...

Be flexible and creative, people. b:bye

What's up with your Slither parties??? He uses Bleed damage that doesn't hit LA as hard as it does robes. Unless you're using an LA Wizzie, the party is actually putting a worse tank in there...
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What's up with your Slither parties??? He uses Bleed damage that doesn't hit LA as hard as it does robes. Unless you're using an LA Wizzie, the party is actually putting a worse tank in there...

<~~~ Is LA Wizzie. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    <~~~ Is LA Wizzie. b:laugh

Awesome. Do you carry robes with you as well, or are you purely focused on LA? Also, how well does that work? I hear varying stories about you guys.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    for example yesterday i offered to help a veno kill krimson eyes, veno asks what class are you? i respond "im a bm". veno says "thanks but we need a 60 plus barb :)".

Lol I hate that ****. People lower lvl try to tell you about how to play your char...then they end up dying. Happens all the time in lower lvl FB's, TT, quest bosses, etc. It just happened today actually...

And another example like a week ago. I was helping with empyrean slither and the guy INSISTED that he couldn't be soloed by a veno because of sleep. I explained to him about the herc and he ended up leaving the party. People like that are just pathetic. If I say that I can do it, why not wait and see? =/
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Awesome. Do you carry robes with you as well, or are you purely focused on LA? Also, how well does that work? I hear varying stories about you guys.

Well, it all depends on how funded you are. I, myself, am purely LA, and I'm loving it. 8% crit, almost one-two crits on every mob...very nice. :P However, I am going to restat to pure when I hit 90...but I'm definitely going to enjoy Light Armor until the very end. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Well... you don't get it... venos can't tank, only their pets can. Golem/Herc is tank, not the nerfed wizzie with cute ears or horns behind the "tank" (end of sarcasm). Seemed they was fine with trying out to tank with my pet, but not with me... at the end lvl 5X barb tanked and I was gently poking the snake so I wouldn't steal aggro.
    And another example like a week ago. I was helping with empyrean slither and the guy INSISTED that he couldn't be soloed by a veno because of sleep. I explained to him about the herc and he ended up leaving the party. People like that are just pathetic. If I say that I can do it, why not wait and see? =/

They don't dare to try it out as they might die as well. If you are tanking boss alone, then just suggest him to stay in the air and watch for the starters. If something goes wrong then only you will die, not he. But some ppl won't listen anyway...
  • Eriestrength - Sanctuary
    Eriestrength - Sanctuary Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited May 2009

not just herc but BMs too, i solod vriddis after some kids told me it was impossible just to shut em up. kong can be problematic at times.
  • Vizula - Sanctuary
    Vizula - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, I can't stand people like that...if I get a boss, the first thing I do is ask my higher lvl friends, almost all of them have an alt of one of the classes almost as equally high...so I ask, what type of squad do I need for this boss? And most of the times...they'll let me know, or set me up with people that can do it. Or they'll do it themselves.

When I first got my herc, I messaged a few higher lvl friends, and asked, what bosses at my lvl can I solo. I was lvl 58 almost 59 at the time...and, I managed to solo all the bosses they said I could..with the herc my lvl too...Only needed a healer for Ch'in because of his aoe. Otherwise...was fun.

Now mind, I'd also asked if I'd kept my magmite, and lvled him..since he was at the time 12 lvls below me...they said I'd probably be able to almost solo all the same bosses.

But to get back on track...if you're going to announce over WC that you need such and such boss and can someone help.

Believe the person that offers to help...or offers a squad.

I had someone in Arch the other day, wasn't over WC...but they were near by and they were asking for Farng...Said she needed a squad for Farng...Well, I saw someone reply..and said we'd need a healer.

I pmed her and offered to solo it if she could wait a few minutes, because at the time I was manufacturing something.

She said no, and that she'd need a squad...I asked her again what boss it was..and she again said Farng..so I asked her class and lvl...she was a lvl 3x veno...I soloed Farng..two different times at whatever lvl you get his quest. With a blackhive wolfkin. But, eh..guess I'm not as squishy as some.
    If you want to be somebody, and you want to go somewhere, you better wake up and Pay Attention.

b:victoryb:cool
  • Isathara - Sanctuary
    Isathara - Sanctuary Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yesterday a nice little 30 BM needed help with her FB 29, so I joined her squad an found a Veno, Cleric, and BM around my level yelling at me.
    They said they needed a barb to tank Qingzi, and after 10 minutes of trying to explain to them what Earth Barrier does, they kicked me out and got a lvl 40 BM to tank Qingzi for them.
    I haven't heard from them since.. -__-"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Luminary] Is looking for members, and I'm looking for friends! <3 -PM Me In game!-
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    thats the most **** bs i've ever heard...originally, when everyone was similar lvl as the fb they had to run, a buffed wizard was just about the only one who could tank qingzi.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    veno asks what class are you? i respond "im a bm". veno says "thanks but we need a 60 plus barb :)".

very few people know how to make balanced squads. For instance if you go to FB39. Rule of thumb is that you need a veno for pulling but if have a high level barb or couple high level BM's. You dont need the veno anymore as the barb or BM's can tank many mobs at once.

Sometimes, you have weak squad for TT. Well what I do is to get a lower level cleric, at least this lower level cleric can ress my high level cleric so then he/she can ress everybody else but some people have in their minds that if you are not level 60, you cant go inside TT.

Sometimes, people think: "we already have a barb. we dont need two". This again depends on the level of your current barb, the level of the new barb and what you squad is currently lacking.

There are many cases like this but is hard to explain that to people.
  • Zorish - Harshlands
    Zorish - Harshlands Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Ppl get high lvl and dont know how to play. Like WC "need +75 for fb39"....................... or Ive seen it myself a lvl 72 barb dying from mobs in HH 1-1, 11!!!!!!!!! Thats was uber BS
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    There are people out there who help despite not knowing they can do it though.
    I've had bms help me, only to watch them get smashed because they couldn't handle the boss.
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Ppl get high lvl and dont know how to play. Like WC "need +75 for fb39"....................... or Ive seen it myself a lvl 72 barb dying from mobs in HH 1-1, 11!!!!!!!!! Thats was uber BS

Haha, fb39, funny story in there. I was level 61 and with a 4x and 6x bm and a lower level veno for pulling. Needless to say we didin't have as much room for mistakes as the high level squads that go marching through. But when we got to the first boss there was some improper pulling and aoes which resulted in the entire squad dying except for me. I said in chat I could handle it, slapped on a ton of heals, was going to rez the tabber, but the squad bailed on me! The wiz tabber left after I had gotten the boss down to half health, and everyone else followed. I was left in the dungeon alone to kill Farren Sereneti myself, but hey I got some nice 3* drops out of it. This was only using regular pots, no charms.

I really really think that people are afraid to test their character's limits in this game. Don't be so afraid to die every once in awhile and you'd be surprised as to what you can do solo.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well... you don't get it... venos can't tank, only their pets can. Golem/Herc is tank, not the nerfed wizzie with cute ears or horns behind the "tank" (end of sarcasm).
    Some of the bosses are magic-only or will only use magic attacks if you only use ranged attacks. Qingzi (FB29) and the last two FB39 bosses come to mind, and I hear Mantaviip is the same. Any robe-type can tank these as long as they have enough healing. Many of these bosses have much strong physical attacks than magical, so it can actually be easier for a robe-type to tank them than for a melee-type or a pet.

And I'm a heavy veno so there are some regular melee bosses I can tank if I want to.
    Sometimes, people think: "we already have a barb. we dont need two". This again depends on the level of your current barb, the level of the new barb and what you squad is currently lacking.

I've watched two barbs kill a boss without a cleric, using only potions and powders. One barb would tank until he got low in hp, the other barb would then grab aggro and tank until he got low, by which time the first barb had regenerated back to full hp so he'd grab aggro again. Repeat.