Genies and why i quit

Comments

• Lah - Dreamweaver
    Lah - Dreamweaver Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Hopefully others that share your mindset will follow your lead.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Hopefully others that share your mindset will follow your lead.
    ^ win
    LOLWTFAKFSGLSGN:LG
  • Notgood - Heavens Tear
    Notgood - Heavens Tear Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    HELLO PEOPLE, its me b:bye and i decided to go into this thread.

Well lets see where should i start b:cute

1)OK first off the part where "id still have to look at them on other characters" means that if he decomposes he's genie other people would still have it, so he would still have to see it.

2) i dont have to use them but then everyone else would have an advantage on me...another reason (won't comment ) but the people who responded to just because of genie should read it over agian

3)Mastrmustard - Sanctuary I agree with everything

4)"picky about a game that you will let a simple implement make you quit" not true there are somethings in which people can not stand..e.x. characters being all little birds, it isn't picky its just a factor that is the last straw that they (could or couldn't) handle.

5)"its not a fairy, its a geenie and as far as I know tinkerbell looks nothing like any of them..." I'm pretty sure that using the fraise "fairy" was to imply that the genies are childish

6)"If your highest level is 38 you more then likely dont know enough about the GENIES to judge them,like most of the newer players who just look at them but never thought about there uses, and yes they are useful, and yes they help out alot of people" ....stop...stop..you can read the genie threads and you then know all about them, helpful in TT, fbs, etc.

7)"if you left because of a nice update because you think its tinkerbell its your loss, attacking the devs and the gms about it and throwing leaving in their face is disrespectful to a point a " working adult " should have grown out of"
    It truely is, but he's just stating his opionons in the place where everyone does.

8)"only now people uderstand the genies are not an " epic fail" b:surrender i still don't understand, to much sp and money spent on them, good skill recharge to slow to help,etc >< (don't want to say more ^comment above)

9)you probably dont pvp" we do trust me we do xD

10)100% agree with you Horseman

11)"Seriously, too "adult" for "tinkerbells". This sounds like something an 8 year old boy would come up with -.-" read #5
    Why am i like this cause you made me like this...
    I guess you really didn't know...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FangJingShan - Lost City
    FangJingShan - Lost City Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2009

1)OK first off the part where "id still have to look at them on other characters" means that if he decomposes he's genie other people would still have it, so he would still have to see it.

2) i dont have to use them but then everyone else would have an advantage on me...another reason (won't comment ) but the people who responded to just because of genie should read it over agian

4)"picky about a game that you will let a simple implement make you quit" not true there are somethings in which people can not stand..e.x. characters being all little birds, it isn't picky its just a factor that is the last straw that they (could or couldn't) handle.

5)"its not a fairy, its a geenie and as far as I know tinkerbell looks nothing like any of them..." I'm pretty sure that using the fraise "fairy" was to imply that the genies are childish

6)"If your highest level is 38 you more then likely dont know enough about the GENIES to judge them,like most of the newer players who just look at them but never thought about there uses, and yes they are useful, and yes they help out alot of people" ....stop...stop..you can read the genie threads and you then know all about them, helpful in TT, fbs, etc.

7)"if you left because of a nice update because you think its tinkerbell its your loss, attacking the devs and the gms about it and throwing leaving in their face is disrespectful to a point a " working adult " should have grown out of"
    It truely is, but he's just stating his opionons in the place where everyone does.

8)"only now people uderstand the genies are not an " epic fail" b:surrender i still don't understand, to much sp and money spent on them, good skill recharge to slow to help,etc >< (don't want to say more ^comment above)

11)"Seriously, too "adult" for "tinkerbells". This sounds like something an 8 year old boy would come up with -.-" read #5

Again, he can make a suggestion to make an option where Genie's can't be seen, or join in with the other threads saying this. A person does not have to quit just because they don't want to see a Genie flying around them.

First of all, he was on a PvE server, meaning only if he actively participated in PvP aspects of the game would they have an advantage. However, he could also limit his Genie use to this alone. Otherwise, this is comparable to Venomancer pets. Sure a Veno with a Phoenix is gonna have an advantage over my Crystalline Magmite, but it doesn't mean I quit because I can't afford it.

The OP never mentioned anything else. In fact, he did nothing but complement PWI for everything and then said they ruined it with the Genie implement. So, as far as we know based on what he said, he quit because of the Genie alone.

Genies are not childish in any way. Yes, they may look like a fairy, but remember that this game is based on Chinese mythology. Unless anyone here is a professor of such and can draw us a picture of what exactly their Genies looked like, I think we can say that saying their appearance is childish would be ethnocentric.

We do not know enough about Genies to say that all of those threads are absolutely right. It will take a while of experimenting with them before anyone will really be certain on the best builds for Genies for each type of play style.

What he said would be similar to saying that the new mounts shouldn't have an effect on the races, or the TT armors/weapons shouldn't have an effect on PvP. I'm sure that when this game was unheard of and only in a true beta form for the original game, all there was were the standard items you got from blacksmith/tailor/etc. Of course it isn't a necessity to PvP, but you will certainly have a much harder time than you would without.
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    whatever man if OP cant stand it he cant stand it. theres no point in arguing anymore if hes leaving because he doesnt like how they look or whatever.

there might've been an interesting discussion about how useful genies actually are, but if its just looks, you can't even argue with that. it'd be like forcing some kid to like broccoli
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    mbrunestud wrote: »
    whatever man if OP cant stand it he cant stand it. theres no point in arguing anymore if hes leaving because he doesnt like how they look or whatever.

there might've been an interesting discussion about how useful genies actually are
    , but if its just looks, you can't even argue with that. it'd be like forcing some kid to like broccoli

That's a topic for a different thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beanfreak
    beanfreak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I agree with you, I wish the graphic display of genies could be toggled on and off...... Or just have the genies but no graphic representation of it... heck, even making them 1/2 size or smaller would be good, they are HUGE....

So, unless I am grinding, I usualy keep mine in inventory.

PWI needs to make it so that the genie can be seen on the client side for that client only. No sense in displaying everyone's genie/fairy and causing lag on the servers. Also the client should have the option to turn of the genie ui. This should please everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Antaury - Dreamweaver
    Antaury - Dreamweaver Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Again, he can make a suggestion to make an option where Genie's can't be seen, or join in with the other threads saying this. A person does not have to quit just because they don't want to see a Genie flying around them.

First of all, he was on a PvE server, meaning only if he actively participated in PvP aspects of the game would they have an advantage. However, he could also limit his Genie use to this alone. Otherwise, this is comparable to Venomancer pets. Sure a Veno with a Phoenix is gonna have an advantage over my Crystalline Magmite, but it doesn't mean I quit because I can't afford it.

The OP never mentioned anything else. In fact, he did nothing but complement PWI for everything and then said they ruined it with the Genie implement. So, as far as we know based on what he said, he quit because of the Genie alone.

Genies are not childish in any way. Yes, they may look like a fairy, but remember that this game is based on Chinese mythology. Unless anyone here is a professor of such and can draw us a picture of what exactly their Genies looked like, I think we can say that saying their appearance is childish would be ethnocentric.

We do not know enough about Genies to say that all of those threads are absolutely right. It will take a while of experimenting with them before anyone will really be certain on the best builds for Genies for each type of play style.

What he said would be similar to saying that the new mounts shouldn't have an effect on the races, or the TT armors/weapons shouldn't have an effect on PvP. I'm sure that when this game was unheard of and only in a true beta form for the original game, all there was were the standard items you got from blacksmith/tailor/etc. Of course it isn't a necessity to PvP, but you will certainly have a much harder time than you would without.

11513175410.jpg

You just love this colors, dont you b:chuckle
    edited May 2009
    11513175410.jpg

You just love this colors, dont you b:chuckle

Well they make it easier to see what I am referring to in a post, so yes. Thanks for the pic too. b:victory
  • Kitsuneaki - Sanctuary
    Kitsuneaki - Sanctuary Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I just want to say how funny it is that the OP said it is ok to flame him, but also says " I wont be around to read because i'm deleting this from my favs" (not like you can't just type in the url...) He is saying that " I might actually re-think uninstalling the game or cry because you people flammed me so i just can't come back to read what you post"

Thats just how I saw it anyways lol b:chuckle

and who cares if he has a girly genie following him, or others. They are sexy are they not? I think they are cute b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    6X Sin on RT
    edited May 2009
    OP is stupid, and your archer creeps me out, like a lolita stripper
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I can sort of understand where he is coming from. I have never wished for a fly swatter or a can of Raid so much in my life as I did the day after genies were released. Some of the ambiance is definitely lost with so many obnoxious bugs swirling around everyone.

That said all that is really needed is a new graphic option to turn off all genies but your own (and maybe even your own as well). I have not bothered to even pick up my free genie yet and I am not sure if I ever will, but I do not mind having them in the game as long as I do not have to look at them. The genies really do make it feel like a different world so I can see why he was bothered by it.
  • Xenaaah - Heavens Tear
    Xenaaah - Heavens Tear Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    I can sort of understand where he is coming from. I have never wished for a fly swatter or a can of Raid so much in my life as I did the day after genies were released. Some of the ambiance is definitely lost with so many obnoxious bugs swirling around everyone.

That said all that is really needed is a new graphic option to turn off all genies but your own (and maybe even your own as well). I have not bothered to even pick up my free genie yet and I am not sure if I ever will, but I do not mind having them in the game as long as I do not have to look at them. The genies really do make it feel like a different world so I can see why he was bothered by it.

Once again it comes down to "don't like it deal with it." Yeah I don't have to get it but if everyone else is getting them I'll have no choice to get one cuz my faction plans to TW and I'm sure all our opponets will have genies. Yeah I don't like genies. I like some of the skills. I like the fact it can help classes like archers to solo better. Overall I think they fail.

"Crank Dat PvE!"
  • erethizon1
    edited May 2009
    Once again it comes down to "don't like it deal with it." Yeah I don't have to get it but if everyone else is getting them I'll have no choice to get one cuz my faction plans to TW and I'm sure all our opponets will have genies. Yeah I don't like genies. I like some of the skills. I like the fact it can help classes like archers to solo better. Overall I think they fail.

My biggest complaint (other than that the bugs are everywhere) is that genies appear to be little more than a thinly veiled money sink. The fact that stamina does not regenerate at all makes a genie useless in my eyes because I do not spend money on disposable items. I am a level 80 cleric so far and have never used a potion or charm (only twice did I use a mana regen powder and that is only because someone gave them to me to use during the boss fights and it would have been rude to take them and not use them when I was instructed). I have played many an MMORPG without wasting money on disposable items (I never used food or potions in any MMORPGs I play and rarely even use them in single player games) and have no interest in starting now. I view genies the same way I view potions and have no interest in using them. Give me a genie skill that restores stamina (even at a rate of just 1 stamina per minute) and it will be a different story. Until then they are just obnoxious bugs.
  • Song - Dreamweaver
    Song - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I re-rolled a new Cleric because of the Genies.

Some might think I am stupid. Some might agree with me, but that's not the point.

I find Genies very useful and with the little experience that I have, I hope this will help some others...

Every level, I feed exp to Genies first, since we (Genie and me) are same level, there is no exp loss during transfer. Genie will take 99% exp max since it cannot level higher than I do. When I cannot feed it any more exp, I'll take the exp and level. As soon as I level, I transfer the 1% remaining exp to Genie to level it, looking at a transfer rate of 95%ish, not a big loss, not at level 18 anyways.

No spirit spent as yet, but in the higher levels like 80+ (if I ever get there) I suppose using spare SP will sooner or later take over exp transfer. We'll see...

Anywho... the reason I find it useful is that, for a Cleric, you will come across a few mini-boss fights in early levels. Yi Chinglin's Soul and the 2 Elves west of Dreaming Stronghold.

With the help of Genie, I could solo those mini-bosses. That is big help since I don't need to yell and wait for help.

Of course I don't expect to be able to solo Farng with my Genie at level 26... but I can see the reason why Genie's existance: Every class was originally designed with a rather specific use / flaw, and Genies are here to either further enhance your advantage / help reduce your disadvantage. Which gives each class more depth.

I'm loving it b:dirty
  • MissEbil - Heavens Tear
    MissEbil - Heavens Tear Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Haha the only reason I'l keeping my purple genie is because it goes with my outfit b:laugh
    Seriously, I find it useless, so if anyone wants to trade a Genie with 3 poison skills for something I can actually use, then go ahead and whisp me ingame.
    I might even end up selling it and buying a lvl 1 purple one to look pretty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud member of the VenoMafia.

b:flower Read my FanFic! b:flower
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=334222
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Step 1. Lets just agree that the OP is a total loser...

Step 2. Actually flame the OP

Step 3. STFU

Step 4. Now you just suck at doing Step 3

Step 5. Great, more QQ..... you guys suck at doing all of the above.
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Meca - Harshlands
    Meca - Harshlands Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Genies fail, there skills fail, giving them chi stones to use skills fail, the lag they cause fails.

bottom line, they fail.
  • Notgood - Heavens Tear
    Notgood - Heavens Tear Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Looks like theres another lawyer in here b:cool, I will win this case! --->this will be said later
    Why am i like this cause you made me like this...
    I guess you really didn't know...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Esteban - Harshlands
    Esteban - Harshlands Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Genies fail, there skills fail, giving them chi stones to use skills fail, the lag they cause fails.

bottom line, they fail.

Pfft I don't think something that heals me 5k hp is a fail >.>
  • Mistimancer - Heavens Tear
    Mistimancer - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    My biggest complaint (other than that the bugs are everywhere) is that genies appear to be little more than a thinly veiled money sink. The fact that stamina does not regenerate at all makes a genie useless in my eyes because I do not spend money on disposable items. I am a level 80 cleric so far and have never used a potion or charm (only twice did I use a mana regen powder and that is only because someone gave them to me to use during the boss fights and it would have been rude to take them and not use them when I was instructed). I have played many an MMORPG without wasting money on disposable items (I never used food or potions in any MMORPGs I play and rarely even use them in single player games) and have no interest in starting now. I view genies the same way I view potions and have no interest in using them. Give me a genie skill that restores stamina (even at a rate of just 1 stamina per minute) and it will be a different story. Until then they are just obnoxious bugs.

You never used a potion while BB or RB??? wow... I am amazed.... I have a 66 cleric and I need potions or Charm when I do BB or RB>. and even in some of the long fights in TT or other when I"m the main healer.....

I wish I had your mana pool :).....
  • AngelFeather - Heavens Tear
    AngelFeather - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wait... Let me get this straight. This guy quit because of Tinkerbell flying around him? You do understand the deeper implications of this, right? He would have quit at 89 anyway, because of the Sage/Demon Fairies. All this did was expediate his departure from the game. At least the update saved him the months of playing until that point, right?
    LOLz i totally agree with you.b:chuckle
    edited May 2009
    Looks like theres another lawyer in here b:cool, I will win this case! --->this will be said later

I have no worries about you as my opponent. Your honor, the prosecution rests. b:victory
  • shazyousuckbot
    shazyousuckbot Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I completly agree with the poster.If I didnt have 4k usd already rapped up into this game I would prolly leave myself, not even my wife likes those 4aggoty looking things.

I relise the usa is turning into a sodom and gamora, but you dont have to turn our games into a 7ueer eye for the straight guy kinda thing.

It gets much worse and we'll prolly leave too when all the quests are gone.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Hi there, Steven say Hi b:bye
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Tryagain - Harshlands
    Tryagain - Harshlands Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I am seriously pissed off after reading this post. It's tools like the people whining here that ruin the game. The developers would have way more time to fix bugs, glitches, phoenixes, unimplemented sections of the game, etc. Things that are actually wrong with the game, if they didn't have this constant incessant nagging from morons that want pretty outfits, or don't like the way certain things look. I think Mona Lisa is ugly...do I nag museums to photoshop DaVinci's masterpiece and make it a picture of a hot chick? The developers/graphic designers/artists made it that way because thats the way they wanted it to look, deal with it. If you don't like it, tough, not everyone likes everything.

As for genies being a huge waste of spirit, you have an endless supply of spirit after level 70. What would it be used for if not for genies? Nothing, it would just rack up and be pointless.

And to the level 80 cleric that has never used a potion....I don't even know what to say to you, you fail at this game.
  • erethizon1
    edited May 2009
    You never used a potion while BB or RB??? wow... I am amazed.... I have a 66 cleric and I need potions or Charm when I do BB or RB>. and even in some of the long fights in TT or other when I"m the main healer.....

I wish I had your mana pool :).....

While I am a pure magic cleric (5 vit, 5 dex, and just enough str to wear armor) I am not able to hold Blue Ball or Red Ball for very long either because they throw you into combat mode which cuts your mp regen rate down to 25% of normal.

Without going off on too big a rant I am very much against the existence of BB and RB. In my opinion they are an extremely blatant attempt to get higher level clerics to spend real money at the cash shop. The fact that they throw you into combat mode even though they are just healing and buffing spells is proof of that in my opinion. For this reason I never use them. I am not an item-oriented person and only go into TT when I have a quest to do there (or when asked by a friend) and even then only when there is another cleric.

I come from a school of thought that believes that buying items for a video game with real money is a form of cheating. While I realize that it is not cheating in a game that exists solely to sell items in a cash shop, I cannot shake the dirty feeling that I would get for buying cash shop items. The only cash shop items I have ever used were inventory and safe expansion stones and I bought those with coin from another player. I realize I can buy charms the same way, but the design of charms and the BB and RB spells make me so annoyed with PW that I refuse to use them. BB and RB should not put you in combat mode and you should be able to set when charms go off and how much they fill up. For example, you should be able to set your mp charm to only go off when you are down to 10% mp (or whichever amount you choose) and have it only fill you up to 50% mp (or whichever number you choose). If they made that change I would probably start using charms, but as it is it is too blatant an attempt to waste my money for me to be willing to use them at all. I still have the charm that I got as a level 4 or 5 quest reward in my safe.
  • erethizon1
    edited May 2009
    And to the level 80 cleric that has never used a potion....I don't even know what to say to you, you fail at this game.

While I realize it is a rare quality these days I am patient. My first MMORPG was Everquest and I got used to having to meditate for 8 to 10 minutes after each and every fight. While I do not want to go back to that, the idea that we should never have to rest seems silly to me. Potions are not needed if you take a break to let your mana regenerate every once in a while. Most boss battles are easy to do with even a single cleric without potions or charms and many of those that are not can be done just fine with two clerics with no potions or charms. There are a few exceptions (such as some TT bosses) and I view those as nothing more than money sinks that were put in the game just to con you into wasting real money on a video game. Since I am not an item-oriented player I do not mind missing out on that content at all.

You may feel that I fail at this game, but I am as good a player as can be without getting my wallet involved or wasting even game coin on disposable items. If that makes me a failure so be it. To me anyone that can only "win" by spending real money on a video game is a failure. Having to use disposable items to make up for a lack of talent is not my definition of a winner. And if content cannot be done without disposable items then it is poorly designed content (or more accurately, content designed to get people to spend real money at the cash shop).
  • Byno - Sanctuary
    Byno - Sanctuary Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Without going off on too big a rant I am very much against the existence of BB and RB. In my opinion they are an extremely blatant attempt to get higher level clerics to spend real money at the cash shop.

...What level are you? When you start running into bosses that require BB's group heal and damage reduction, maybe you'll understand why it exists.

PS, use apoth items to up your mp regen and BB is much nicer on your charm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    way more time to fix bugs, glitches, phoenixes, unimplemented sections of the game,
    how many people need sense smacked into them? phoenixes arent glitched, the reduction on FR is >_>.

-and to BB users, charms arent needed with JJ event food
This discussion has been closed.