Alter Marrow Magical?

zsquall
zsquall Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Blademaster
Is it worth maxing or leaving it at 3 or something?

Oh a General question how good is Polearm BM's compared to the others
Post edited by zsquall on

Comments

• Gau - Dreamweaver
    Gau - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I think that depends on what your doing-I have it lvl up because I duel alot of magical ppl but if melee classes are around,your screwed. On the Polearm,its good..just depends on your game style
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I think that depends on what your doing-I have it lvl up because I duel alot of magical ppl but if melee classes are around,your screwed. On the Polearm,its good..just depends on your game style

Would agree. Having it too high can often lead to problems when grinding unless everything in that area is also magic based. Usually best to just take an elemental belt and neck to keep in your inventory sharded for magic resist if feel that you're still taking too much damage from casters. You can swap these out much easier if a melee should happen to pass through.

In pvp, unlike dueling, the situation can often change quickly. It only takes one hybrid veno to throw everything to ****. Most embarrassing defeat I ever had.
  • zsquall
    zsquall Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ok so what would be a good level to have it? 3/5/7?
  • Norgannon - Lost City
    Norgannon - Lost City Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Leave it at 5. You don't want it higher than that, I made the mistake of maxing it. Though it's useful for Polearms since you get magic attacks all the time for the range. Tested it and works great.
  • davijohans
    davijohans Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    quite frankly , i dun use it at all ( unless mobs are pure mag, than i got it at lvl1)
    in duels i just go for the kill and heal myself with sutra and the tree and try to stun and max the dmg.
    in avarge mobs ( of my lvl, and basicly lvl 60+) u will get few mag hits but u can sufferem and close the range to the point the mob hits phys,( do it as fast as u can) than its over. u can also use the roar or the kick to cancel the mag attacks.

im a swords bm so i dun have the ho and mag def of the axe bm. ( though i do got a decent amount of vit) and if i can deal with it theres no reason most of the bms wont)

only my thoughts about that skill.
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    davijohans wrote: »
    quite frankly , i dun use it at all ( unless mobs are pure mag, than i got it at lvl1)
    in duels i just go for the kill and heal myself with sutra and the tree and try to stun and max the dmg.
    in avarge mobs ( of my lvl, and basicly lvl 60+) u will get few mag hits but u can sufferem and close the range to the point the mob hits phys,( do it as fast as u can) than its over. u can also use the roar or the kick to cancel the mag attacks.

im a swords bm so i dun have the ho and mag def of the axe bm. ( though i do got a decent amount of vit) and if i can deal with it theres no reason most of the bms wont)

only my thoughts about that skill.
    Yep, it's really only practical against pve or certain bosses. Although I wouldn't see too much harm with having it at 3 or 4 if you're an axe or pole build. For sword or claw, yeah, you're better focusing on just laying out the pain. Have it at 6 myself, still occasionally regret it.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Using your Altar Marrows Effectively...

This is one of the things that determines your survivability as a Blademaster. Whether you're a good tank or an average one. As a Blademaster, you can do things Barbarians cannot, that's taking advantage of your environment. Using your environment awareness; if you perceive a threat to Mage users, you can reduce all Magical damage by up to an additional 20% with a click of a button.

Or vise versa, reduce all Physical damage by up to an additional 10%. This is why Blademasters have the potential to use HP charms more effectively. They intake less damage, therefore giving you a longer reaction time to use potions, or whatever, so your charm does not tick. Another Blademaster skill used for surviving is the Diamond Sutra. Healing up to 20% of Maximum HP, plus an additional 1600 over 10 seconds.

Being a Blademaster tank is beneficial in that it's more economically efficient on your HP charms, but hurts your MP charm more. But meh, you need HP to survive, not MP.

In a PVP situation:

Let's use an Example. You have a Wizard and a Blademaster attacking you, two on one. The Blademaster's Base Damage is 1000 on you. And the Wizard's Base Damage is 3000 on you. Now let's calculate what's best to use.

With my Current Equipment:

No marrows - Reduce Phys Damage by 79%, Reduce Mage Damage by 50%.

Calculation: The Blademaster would hit 210, and the Wizard would be hitting 1500.

Total Damage per hit: 1710.

Level 10 Altar Physical Marrow - Reduce Phys Damage by 85%, Reduce Mage damage by 26%.

Calculation: The Blademaster would hit 150, and the Wizard would be hitting 2220.

Total Damage per hit: 2370.

Level 10 Altar Magical Marrow - Reduce Phys Damage by 69%, Reduce Mage damage by 62%.

Calculation: The Blademaster would hit 310, and the Wizard would be hitting 1140.

Total Damage per hit: 1450.

Okay so this simplistic example has many flaws, because Wizards and Blademasters have different attack rates. But basically, If you're fighting Magic users AND Melee users, best to use Altar Magical Marrow anyways, The Melee damage you intake will be negligible anyways, so Reduce what hurts!

To be honest, unless you're ABSOLUTELY 100% sure you won't get ganked by a magic user, NEVER use Altar Marrow Physical in a PVP situation, that leaves you completely vulnerable to a sneak attack by a magic user. And before you can react, you're dead.

In a PVE situation:

Honestly, if you're fighting a mob 1 verse 1, I'd just user Altar Physical Marrow, and stun it when it's about it cast something on you. That way, you'll only intake physical damage, and completely ignore the magical damage.

However, when you're fighting multiple mobs, some will be stationary, and continue to rain hell on you with magic. Best to use Altar Magical Marrow, to reduce to Mage damage, since Blademasters with their Aura of the Golden Bell raises Physical Defense, you'll take negligible damage from physical damage anyways.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask.

Pulled directly off the Regicide website. Original post is here:

http://theregicide.forums-free.com/using-your-altar-marrows-effectively-t240.html
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI