Mage build.. help plz

Schmoll - Lost City
Schmoll - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
Hi, i,m normally a archer in every game and was thinking about making myself a wiz, but what is the recommended build if i want to have the high damage and use magic sword.. is 4 mag and 1str per level a good build? and maybe set in some vit sometimes? o_O
Post edited by Schmoll - Lost City on

Comments

• Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    read some guides, there are a lot of them.
    There are 2 builds, for Lost City u should go on LA (1 str 1 agil and 3 mag every lvl)
    On PvE server u should go full magic - 1str every 2 lvls and rest on magic.

but u might need to read more on how to get your skills, cause Wizz doesn't have normal attk and you're be always short on SP. Short SP means no dmg upgrade for wizz = fail.

My advice however? roll a veno. Buy a herc and solo the TTs and FBs. When you're so full of money U don't know what to spend on, roll a wizz and buy him the best possible gear for the lvl. That will be fun I'm telling you right now.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Schmoll - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    oh that LA build.. does that give me less mag dmg or something?
  • Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    yeah, its going to affect your damage output. But, the assumption is if your playin on a PvP, your going to have better survivability if you wear LA. If your truly looking for a nuker, then put every spare point you have into Mag.

You can go as far as 9mag and 1 str every other level....If you wanna add a lil Vit you could do a 8mag/1str/1vit every two levels. Just remember, adding VIT to a Wizzy is only going to give you 10hp per vit point. I believe that is the lowest in the game(same as a cleric).

Another thought with the LA build, is you have a self buff, stone barrier, that gives you a % bonus to your Pdef, so with that on a LA wizzy, your Pdef can be pretty solid.
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The LA build gives slightly less damage than the Robe/Arcane build. The difference isn't really noticible pre-4x, though the gap widens somewhere around 7x. A lot of mages restat between LA and Robe at various points, settling back to Robe at 9x. This is due to various factors: LA has better survivability in earlier levels, and better availablity of nice armors through 7x. Arcane helps you grind faster, supposedly, because the slight boost in magic lets you save 1-2 shots on mobs. (Usually about 1 shot.) By 9x the damage difference in switching to Arcane is quite noticible, and you can get better Arcane armor at that point as well.

LA is supposedly a safer build on PvP. It gives you more physical defense than Arcane Robes, which is important for a mage's bitty little HP bar. The higher pdef also couples with things like Earth Shield to give you exponentially more protection (it's based on your pdef stats). The points in Dex (3 Mag 1 Str 1 Dex each level) also help to raise your Critical rate. (Over time, it comes to about a 3% extra crit rate on LA vs Robe.) If you use crafted 2* or 3* LA, the Physical defense is roughly equivalent to NPC Heavy Armor of the same level, and the Magical defense is roughly equivalent to NPC Robe armor of the same level. (When stacked across the full set, the gap widens, of course.)

The debate of LA vs Arcane/Robes is a longstanding one that will go on forever. It's up to personal choice, and there are lots of threads about it. Do a quick search. Personally, I'm going LA from game start to somewhere around 9x, as a PvP mage on Harshlands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • Schmoll - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    ok thx ;D then i will start at LA and go robe later :P but one last question for me as a noob XD how do i restat and how much cost? xD
  • Moobysnax - Lost City
    Moobysnax - Lost City Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Don't start LA. It's better to start Robe because PvE is much easier untill you start getting in to decent PK'ing lvls like 60+ then start to think about doing robe or restating to LA. Also the game is basically PvE till lvl 30 anyway. If you do chose to start with the light armor build make sure to keep a set of robes when you need to fight magic mobs, with light armor you'll take more damage and because you have less magic stat you take 1 to 2 more shots to kill mobs than a robe which could take a while because wizard skills have long casting times and if you aren't kiting well you could be taking more damage than you'd like to. But the benefits of light armor are alright later on, more survivability in PvP and you get a higher crit bonus by like 4 or 5%. I know going Sage is a better choice for a wizard overall but if I ever get to 89 I'm going demon just for the extra crit, faster casting, and more status inducing skills. And this is a way longer post than I intended lol.
  • Jertor - Sanctuary
    Jertor - Sanctuary Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Don't start LA. It's better to start Robe because PvE is much easier untill you start getting in to decent PK'ing lvls like 60+ then start to think about doing robe or restating to LA. Also the game is basically PvE till lvl 30 anyway. If you do chose to start with the light armor build make sure to keep a set of robes when you need to fight magic mobs, with light armor you'll take more damage and because you have less magic stat you take 1 to 2 more shots to kill mobs than a robe which could take a while because wizard skills have long casting times and if you aren't kiting well you could be taking more damage than you'd like to. But the benefits of light armor are alright later on, more survivability in PvP and you get a higher crit bonus by like 4 or 5%. I know going Sage is a better choice for a wizard overall but if I ever get to 89 I'm going demon just for the extra crit, faster casting, and more status inducing skills. And this is a way longer post than I intended lol.

hmm arent LA mages the best for pvp server till 90+ because the higher survivability (idk if i spelled that right lol)
  • Armagatton - Lost City
    Armagatton - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    well that gave me alot too think about :P but now i have made my mage and going too try both LA and robes see what i prefer best :P thx for all your help guys!
  • missqq
    missqq Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Oh please. Not with this LA bs again. MAGES ARE NOT TANKS, they're DDs. And the only build that does this job is pure int. You guys can argue that LA can crit, but the 4-5% is not reliable or practical, considering 90+ any mage can get 7% base without dex.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Oh please. Not with this pure bs again. LA (and vit >_>) IS NOT ABOUT TANKING, IT IS ABOUT SURVIVING LONG ENOUGH TO DEAL DAMAGE. AND ANY MAGE BUILD DEAL LOTS OF DAMAGE.
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    missqq wrote: »
    Oh please. Not with this LA bs again. MAGES ARE NOT TANKS, they're DDs. And the only build that does this job is pure int. You guys can argue that LA can crit, but the 4-5% is not reliable or practical, considering 90+ any mage can get 7% base without dex.

Stop hating already! He's made up his mind to try it both ways. Whichever way he likes he'll keep playing. Simple as that. Thread is dead, let it go!
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ... If you do chose to start with the light armor build make sure to keep a set of robes when you need to fight magic mobs, with light armor you'll take more damage and because you have less magic stat you take 1 to 2 more shots to kill mobs than a robe which could take a while because wizard skills have long casting times and if you aren't kiting well you could be taking more damage than you'd like to.

I've been LA since level 5. The magic mobs were annoying early on but not overly so. I've never died to one of the regular ones, never even came close. Pop a Life Powder if you're worried about taking a bit more magic damage, or damage-over-time effects like Poison. Very helpful if you're fighting something with Poison abilities >.>

I dont mind the 1-2 extra hit thing I'm supposed to be dealing with. For the most part, early on the mobs would often die before getting within striking range anyway. Others got one little tap in before dying. Now, some of the mobs with higher attack power are danged annoying, but that's what my husband's BM is for - I let him have the aggro unless I have a Life Powder ticking. And with the life powder ticking I can go in and do whatever I want, basically, as long as I keep an eye on my mana bar and don't kill so many mobs so quickly that I tank it.

LA mages aren't tanks. Who said they were? They're just less squishy DD's. And the DD gap isn't too big until later levels anyway - the Robe Mages down't totally own that. I can outdamage other classes my level even as LA. (And my armor saves me when I haven't timed it right and I happen to pull a little too much aggro XD) And no, the crit difference isn't huge if you build your Robe correctly. But it is there. The whole point of LA is just a little less squish, not Tanking or Criting. The crits are just a nice side bonus.
    Oh please. Not with this pure bs again. LA (and vit >_>) IS NOT ABOUT TANKING, IT IS ABOUT SURVIVING LONG ENOUGH TO DEAL DAMAGE. AND ANY MAGE BUILD DEAL LOTS OF DAMAGE.

Yup. That'd be it.

Summary: Both builds are valid. Both are good. They're a matter of personal choice. The world isn't going to end if you go one way or another, and people value both builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • missqq
    edited May 2009
    I've been LA since level 5. The magic mobs were annoying early on but not overly so. I've never died to one of the regular ones, never even came close. Pop a Life Powder if you're worried about taking a bit more magic damage, or damage-over-time effects like Poison. Very helpful if you're fighting something with Poison abilities >.>

I dont mind the 1-2 extra hit thing I'm supposed to be dealing with. For the most part, early on the mobs would often die before getting within striking range anyway. Others got one little tap in before dying. Now, some of the mobs with higher attack power are danged annoying, but that's what my husband's BM is for - I let him have the aggro unless I have a Life Powder ticking. And with the life powder ticking I can go in and do whatever I want, basically, as long as I keep an eye on my mana bar and don't kill so many mobs so quickly that I tank it.

LA mages aren't tanks. Who said they were? They're just less squishy DD's. And the DD gap isn't too big until later levels anyway - the Robe Mages down't totally own that. I can outdamage other classes my level even as LA. (And my armor saves me when I haven't timed it right and I happen to pull a little too much aggro XD) And no, the crit difference isn't huge if you build your Robe correctly. But it is there. The whole point of LA is just a little less squish, not Tanking or Criting. The crits are just a nice side bonus.

Yup. That'd be it.

Summary: Both builds are valid. Both are good. They're a matter of personal choice. The world isn't going to end if you go one way or another, and people value both builds.

The 3x has spoken
  • missqq
    edited May 2009

Except LAb:cute
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The 3x has spoken

The 3x on the Harshlands server that started after everyone else....you know the one where all the highlevs went to when it started up? GUESS WHAT!! They started at level 1. AGAIN. AMAZING!

You don't get to descriminate against someone's level unless....wait, no YOU don't get to.
  • missqq
    edited May 2009
    Sorry new servers only for people who failed on the others. Besides, lv30 reachable in a day.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Except missqqb:cute
    FIXED.
    (10 wizards)
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • DishyWiggles - Harshlands
    DishyWiggles - Harshlands Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Sorry new servers only for people who failed on the others. Besides, lv30 reachable in a day.

O.o 30 in a day? do you play 12 hours a day O.o?

And new servers for people who failed? no its for people who are bored with 1 guild controlling the map, and feel like starting fresh with (sometimes) a new name.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2009

yup, so is living in a basement with no life other than playing MMORPGs.
    I don't know u and I don't like judging ppl by their posts on forums, but man, I'm beginning to think you're either incredibly stupid, you're less then 10yrs old or u're just trying to **** off ppl because you have no life and you're bored.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • missqq
    edited May 2009
    I don't know u and I don't like judging ppl by their posts on forums, but man, I'm beginning to think you're either incredibly stupid, you're less then 10yrs old or u're just trying to **** off ppl because you have no life and you're bored.

Why am I stupid again? Im giving you facts, fail harder plz
  • Crayoz - Lost City
    Crayoz - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Please! only asks for help for a build and u guys start a war here? -.-
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited May 2009

For once, I totally agree with you.
    Please! only asks for help for a build and u guys start a war here? -.-

Of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DishyWiggles - Harshlands
    DishyWiggles - Harshlands Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wars are human nature ^^.

But yeah, to the original poster, Go Pure (9 mag 1 str even 2 lvls, str on even) and just keep it like that. Faster leveling, more damage(Bigger E-peen), but YOU WILL DIE FASTER.

@ low levels just lead with gush and kite and @ 39+ after culti lead with sandstorm (or gush, i use gush on all but water) and use gush,pyro,gush,pyro, pheonix, gush pyro and ALL mobs up to 5 lvls above u (unless fire or water) will be dead without touching u or you having to move. LA lvls slower.