Are archers good in duels?

SaDash - Sanctuary
SaDash - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Archer
Maybe this is a dumb question but i wanted to know since im on a PvE server(i dont like pk) but i like the archer. I was just wondering this just in case i get bored from questing(for now) and grinding (later on). I mean they have a high evasion, and crit., and hit rate rite? Ok just wanting to know if this class is good for doing the duel thing.(cuz i always get **** on my wiz in duelsb:surrender) b:victory
Post edited by SaDash - Sanctuary on

Comments

• DETHBROKER - Dreamweaver
    DETHBROKER - Dreamweaver Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Archers are exellent in pvp and duels later on. They alright early not not as good as BM or WB.
    I am Demon, fear me! b:angry
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    You need lightning to duel... stunning arrow is hard to level up for me as i need my other skills such as barrage and sharpen tooth arrow (I do a lot of boss killing). So yea its hard to be PvE and PvP at lower levels, or even at mine.. I have all 3 lightning spells though. So I can do a duel.. not gonna be good since my stunning arrow is only 60% stun rate and not fully developed PvP moves. I personally am just gonna grind to a high level before PvP
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • Guardgodess - Sanctuary
    Guardgodess - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    archers are **** at duels, as the only thing the opponent has to do is stick his/her face in front of yours, since you do half damage that way. also, since we are squishy, you will just die in a short time.

if you want a class that is good at duels, make a cleric, as they can seal and sleep and have both physical and magical attack, as well as heal. or you can make a bm, which have decent damage and good hp and def.
  • Kasama - Lost City
    Kasama - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yes..

Barb/BM
    #1 As the countdown starts run (if they run after you start with Wings of Grace then run)
    #2 As soon as you see the "start" fire Aim Low and then proceed to lightning skills (you can go with Tooth Arrow before lightning if you think his/her HP is high)
    #3 If you haven't killed the player when Aim Low runs out fire Stunning Arrow (learn to know the timing of your Aim Low and you should be able to keep the lock) and use normal attack to get the rest of his/hers HP down (this is where the distance you got by running at the start counts)

Veno
    #1 Forget about the pet aim for the veno
    #2 If you think the pet is strong start with Wings of Grace
    #3 Stunning Arrow sins you already have the distance unless it's a heavy veno which is rare (if it's a heavy go with the Barb/BM tactic)
    #4 Then you can go Deadly Shot if you think the veno is strong or just normal arrows if it's a squishy veno

Cleric
    #1 Wings of Grace (against sleep and/or seal)
    #2 Stunning Arrow before they can trow buffs out
    #3 Deadly Shot then normal attack the rest of the way

Wizard
    #1 Stunning Arrow
    #2 He's/She's dead..

Archer
    This is all down to lvl and equipment plus who gets the first stun in
  • BloodCountes - Heavens Tear
    BloodCountes - Heavens Tear Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yes..

Barb/BM
    #1 As the countdown starts run (if they run after you start with Wings of Grace then run)
    #2 As soon as you see the "start" fire Aim Low and then proceed to lightning skills (you can go with Tooth Arrow before lightning if you think his/her HP is high)
    #3 If you haven't killed the player when Aim Low runs out fire Stunning Arrow (learn to know the timing of your Aim Low and you should be able to keep the lock) and use normal attack to get the rest of his/hers HP down (this is where the distance you got by running at the start counts)

Veno
    #1 Forget about the pet aim for the veno
    #2 If you think the pet is strong start with Wings of Grace
    #3 Stunning Arrow sins you already have the distance unless it's a heavy veno which is rare (if it's a heavy go with the Barb/BM tactic)
    #4 Then you can go Deadly Shot if you think the veno is strong or just normal arrows if it's a squishy veno

Cleric
    #1 Wings of Grace (against sleep and/or seal)
    #2 Stunning Arrow before they can trow buffs out
    #3 Deadly Shot then normal attack the rest of the way

Wizard
    #1 Stunning Arrow
    #2 He's/She's dead..

Archer
    This is all down to lvl and equipment plus who gets the first stun in

Barb/ bm - Not quite true.

This can work only on barb and if the bm is stupid enough and u squishy enough - on bm lol.
    There is no point of running cause bms can always get u and resist your aim low even if u r far far away from them. b:chuckle
    So..stand still during countdown - cast shield and grace, then shock + lightning...stunning arrow + aim low - get away from them - blast. Every bm dies not only around my lvl - I have beaten bms 90 + using this. b:bye

Cleric - not quite true

I can add only 1 thing here - after stunning them double spark to resist sleep and then do deadly / take aim to break their shield - they will definitely run out of mana before u r dead - of course squishy archers always die first. b:sad
    U can try to start with grace and rely on metal skills but...very hard against arcane clerics.

Veno - agree
    At 89 + u can try grace in the very beginning of the duel and then just barrage them lol.

Wizard - agree

Archer - all about crit rate and luck.
    My people, some of them have run away to the hills
    and have no shelter. No food, no one knows where they are,
    hear me my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad,
    I will fight no more....
  • Kasama - Lost City
    Kasama - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Barb/ bm - Not quite true.

This can work only on barb and if the bm is stupid enough and u squishy enough - on bm lol.
    There is no point of running cause bms can always get u and resist your aim low even if u r far far away from them. b:chuckle
    So..stand still during countdown - cast shield and grace, then shock + lightning...stunning arrow + aim low - get away from them - blast. Every bm dies not only around my lvl - I have beaten bms 90 + using this. b:bye

Cleric - not quite true

I can add only 1 thing here - after stunning them double spark to resist sleep and then do deadly / take aim to break their shield - they will definitely run out of mana before u r dead - of course squishy archers always die first. b:sad
    U can try to start with grace and rely on metal skills but...very hard against arcane clerics.

Yes the BM can use Will of the Bodhisatva but they never do it (not the once i duel anyway).. Most BMs rather spend a spark on Drake Bash and then try to stun lock you and maybe finish you off with a double spark skill (like Heaven's Flame)..

I forgot about spark btw.. If the BM actually use Will of the Bodhisatva just Wings of Grace - Spark - lightning macro.. Always use spark on barbs! I don't agree with double spark on clerics though.. I much rather go with Wings of Grace and then single spark as magic damage hits you hard (and Wings of Grace has 30% damage reduction)..
    edited May 2009
    Yes the BM can use Will of the Bodhisatva but they never do it (not the once i duel anyway).. Most BMs rather spend a spark on Drake Bash and then try to stun lock you and maybe finish you off with a double spark skill (like Heaven's Flame)..

I forgot about spark btw.. If the BM actually use Will of the Bodhisatva just Wings of Grace - Spark - lightning macro.. Always use spark on barbs! I don't agree with double spark on clerics though.. I much rather go with Wings of Grace and then single spark as magic damage hits you hard (and Wings of Grace has 30% damage reduction)..

As I said - this is not for squishy archers. When I use this (double spark) I always survive at 300 -400 hp but by that time my opponent has 20 -30mp points left. b:pleased This is really risky and u need to have good hp to survive. The good thing is that it works lovely. b:thanks
    I will fight no more....
  • Elfaria - Dreamweaver
    Elfaria - Dreamweaver Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I don't duel in dungeons where my jumping is limited but outside, im pretty good in duels. I never dueled another long range fighter, BM's and Barbs mostly.

My key attacks are Aim low - frost arrow - and stunning arrow combo.

First I ALWAYS let them click me to initiate a duel.
    Make sure to have your speed buff on for kiting.
    I run far... far away then accept duel.

I hit aim low first, hit a few shots in then freeze arrow when I see movement.
    As soon as I count to 4, I hit my stunning arrow and run a bit.
    Hit a deadly and take aim for chi and continue on with kiting and stuns.

Don't know about you guys but this works fine with me.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    That works just not on,

Barbarians with the 79 skill, BMs with will of Bod,
    Clerics with a brain, Wizards with a brain or venomancers.
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Fallenangelx - Heavens Tear
    Fallenangelx - Heavens Tear Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I don't duel in dungeons where my jumping is limited but outside, im pretty good in duels. I never dueled another long range fighter, BM's and Barbs mostly.

My key attacks are Aim low - frost arrow - and stunning arrow combo.

First I ALWAYS let them click me to initiate a duel.
    Make sure to have your speed buff on for kiting.
    I run far... far away then accept duel.

I hit aim low first, hit a few shots in then freeze arrow when I see movement.
    As soon as I count to 4, I hit my stunning arrow and run a bit.
    Hit a deadly and take aim for chi and continue on with kiting and stuns.

Don't know about you guys but this works fine with me.

Duels are generally a disadvantage for archers, you cant run far away before accepting the duel or else the duel wont initiate...since ur starting in a close range in duel, its harder to win. in higher levels, duels are a waste of time for archers, mages put on channeling gear and will probably sleep/stun you before you can stun them. as for barbs and bms, barbs just have too much hp to kill and they do alot more damage at higher levels while bms would run straight at u and stun u.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Duels are generally a disadvantage for archers, you cant run far away before accepting the duel or else the duel wont initiate...since ur starting in a close range in duel, its harder to win.

And duels always end in a draw for me when I reach full range (30m). But we can use winged shell or even wings of grace during the count down, if "winning the duel" is important for you. But if you were dueling so you could experiment, winning probably should not be an issue for you?
  • Top - Harshlands
    Top - Harshlands Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    You will love the knockback arrow special, trust me

b:laugh
  • Xelea - Heavens Tear
    Xelea - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Truth is... they suck at it.. hell even a barb with a decent lvl of bloodbath can hit ur little squishy ****. Dont duel.. PK... thats what they are good at.
    edited May 2009
    Truth is... they suck at it.. hell even a barb with a decent lvl of bloodbath can hit ur little squishy ****. Dont duel.. PK... thats what they are good at.

Defeating barbs in duel is possible while in pk almost impossible. I have beaten many barbs around my lvl in duels so...can't agree with u on that point. And bms - they are more than easy in duels I cannot understand ppls whining about how strong are bms and refusing to duel them. Come on guys...did u lvl your metal skills...do u use grace, stun, aim low? Bms are not problem at all, u don't need range to beat them in duels lol.
    The biggest problem for me in duels are vit based venos. They r really hard. So I am waiting my lovely genies to save me losing 1 spark for grace in the beginning.
    But after all dueling is only for fun so...u can duel as much as u want. b:thanks
    I will fight no more....
  • angellicdeity
    angellicdeity Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Defeating barbs in duel is possible while in pk almost impossible. I have beaten many barbs around my lvl in duels so...can't agree with u on that point. And bms - they are more than easy in duels I cannot understand ppls whining about how strong are bms and refusing to duel them. Come on guys...did u lvl your metal skills...do u use grace, stun, aim low? Bms are not problem at all, u don't need range to beat them in duels lol.
    The biggest problem for me in duels are vit based venos. They r really hard. So I am waiting my lovely genies to save me losing 1 spark for grace in the beginning.
    But after all dueling is only for fun so...u can duel as much as u want. b:thanks

You've never faced a smart BM or Barbarian.

It is true that an archer has a chance at beating a Barbarian in a duel, while in open PK it becomes next to impossible if they carry a charm.

However, it is also true that an archer should always LOOSE duels, if your opponite is smart.

How do you do it? In the count-down, they simply need to run towards you within 5 meters for a bow, 5.5 meters for a crossbow and 4.x meters for a slingshot. Once they do so, all physical damage is halved.

Within those distances clerics can sleep, and debuff you.

Aim-low is only useful if you use it on opponites beyond their attacks range. It only prevents movement, but it does not stop them from hitting back.

Stunning arrow works well, its just 3 seconds isn't enough time to give you a chance to run away.

Any class that plays smart will always beat an Archer in a duel. Hence why duels are no way to judge your ability to kill other players.
  • Sinense - Sanctuary
    Sinense - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    How do you do it? In the count-down, they simply need to run towards you within 5 meters for a bow, 5.5 meters for a crossbow and 4.x meters for a slingshot. Once they do so, all physical damage is halved.

All damage of their damage gets halved except for their metal and melee skills.
    Aim-low is only useful if you use it on opponites beyond their attacks range. It only prevents movement, but it does not stop them from hitting back.

Or, if you fight an archer and they use aim low on you from inside your attack range, they can step back. If you use melee attacks this becomes annoying. And if you were in their half-range zone they again do full damage with their ranged attacks.

Stunning arrow works well, its just 3 seconds isn't enough time to give you a chance to run away.

Archer stun gives them enough time for another attack, and also interrupts anything you were doing when you got stunned.
    Any class that plays smart will always beat an Archer in a duel.

I never believe any statement about PvP which uses words like "always" or "never". In my opinion, such statements must be half-truths and I think usually people make them when they do not have much experience.

In this case, level and luck can influence your chance of winning, and so can various other things.
    edited May 2009
    You've never faced a smart BM or Barbarian.

It is true that an archer has a chance at beating a Barbarian in a duel, while in open PK it becomes next to impossible if they carry a charm.

However, it is also true that an archer should always LOOSE duels, if your opponite is smart.

Within those distances clerics can sleep, and debuff you.

Any class that plays smart will always beat an Archer in a duel. Hence why duels are no way to judge your ability to kill other players.

Sry...but this is not quite true. The class I duel most is bm. I have dueled MANY bms, even bms 90 + and there is only 1 bm so far which I have dueled and I can't beat. And of course squishy and fail archers will always lose because:

1. U don't need to run in a duel vs bm if you are running..... 'Defeat"
    2. U use phys hits on bm? b:bye
    3. U think metal dmg (on which u rely) is halved? "Defeat"
    4. You have shield + wings of grace = ultimate defence for about 10 - 12 sec which is enough time to kill any bm or it is not for you? You are hybrid or vit based build and don't have acc and evasion enough in addition to those 2 skills or u don't use them at all? b:bye
    5. U have 2 metal skills + metal debuff skill + great crit or... u are vit or hybrid build, your crit sux and you haven't maxed your metal skills? "Defeat"
    6. U don't use stun to fak bm's sutra? "Defeat'
    7. U use frost arrow in pvp as a whole? "Defeat"
    8. U haven't refined your gears, u haven't put any hp stones? "Defeat"
    9. U use evasion stones on gears? "Defeat"
    10. U fear bms with swords and fists? b:bye
    11. U use slingshot vs Bms? "Defeat"
    12. U duel a buffed bm and worse - you are NOT buffed? "Defeat"

You are right - so many archers will always lose. b:thanks
    I will fight no more....
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Problem with archers they take alot of damage from physical aswell as magic damage, as well as alot of their attacks are halves are close range.

However with 2 physical Full-Damage and a total of 4 lightning skills, Winged shell and Wings of grace an archer can be feard in duels.

As I know it, duels never favor the archer.
    Yet archers still seem to win... hmm..
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)