Heavy mage

13»

Comments

• Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i've met heavy mages. one of which was level 83. mages damage output(unsuprisingly) comes almost entirely from their weapon.

a heavy 83 mage hits about as much as a 1 vit/4 mag veno would hit at the same level.

it's a viable build, but you'll be wanting a lot of money to get the right gears. for instance, at 90 u would want the ghost mantle to restat some str into magic. same for the necklace. if u can wield it, the 89 requiem blade will be an ideal weapon for u. perhaps an end game weapon.
  • missqq
    missqq Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i've met heavy mages. one of which was level 83. mages damage output(unsuprisingly) comes almost entirely from their weapon.

a heavy 83 mage hits about as much as a 1 vit/4 mag veno would hit at the same level.

it's a viable build, but you'll be wanting a lot of money to get the right gears. for instance, at 90 u would want the ghost mantle to restat some str into magic. same for the necklace. if u can wield it, the 89 requiem blade will be an ideal weapon for u. perhaps an end game weapon.

LOL. Now really, you're sacrificing more than half of your magic attack for pdef. PDEF SUFFERS FROM DIMINISHING RETURNS; beyond 5k you dont even get that much % for the 10k+ pdef that you may have. Although LA is a just as bogus build, it's magic attack is certainly better than a heavy's considering you're pumping 200+ str, while LAs are boosting ~90str/dex
    The only actual build for mage is pure int. Any deviation of this build is just bs.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    missqq wrote: »
    LOL. Now really, you're sacrificing more than half of your magic attack for pdef. PDEF SUFFERS FROM DIMINISHING RETURNS; beyond 5k you dont even get that much % for the 10k+ pdef that you may have. Although LA is a just as bogus build, it's magic attack is certainly better than a heavy's considering you're pumping 200+ str, while LAs are boosting ~90str/dex
    The only actual build for mage is pure int. Any deviation of this build is just bs.

you obviously haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about. facts > opinions.

a heavy armoured wizard tanked my fb70.
  • missqq
    edited May 2009
    you obviously haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about. facts > opinions.

Sorry, I am giving you facts. As for tanking, a barb would've done a much better job, a wizards job is to DD. Continuously bashing my opinions is stupid, too, you know you're wrong, you're just afraid to admit it. Apparently people think using unorthodox builds is cool, but it just gimps them altogether.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    hits harder than a barb, has cooler skills than a barb, most unique class in the game; i think they can do whatever the hell they please. besides, he had 7k hp from +3 armour. he did fine. no barb runs around with that much defense. he got a late purify and took 4 hits from the axe boss.

i've never seen a barb under 90 take that.
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    Miss_Tika - Lost City Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Heavy mage is awesome

Just ask Danika

He has no honour b:bye
  • missqq
    edited May 2009
    Generally heavy mages blow, but Danika is in her own league.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    missqq wrote: »
    That's why mages are regarded as useless, extremely squishy and gimped - 'cause nubs are going endgame build on low levels.
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    so u can't go pure int as a wizard until 90? mine actually had 50 vit until 60. i thought the slight boost in hp would help me without costing a fortune in refines on armour that doesn't mean ****.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    so u can't go pure int as a wizard until 90?
    There is no point going pure before that. Unlike cleric, wiz does not have all these heals to keep hp, nor plume shell fix low def in critical situations. All wiz's survivability is from equipment, and there is no really good equipment before 9X.
    --
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited May 2009

HA wizards have no HP how can they tank fb70?
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Chocooo - Lost City
    Chocooo - Lost City Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    HA wizards have no HP how can they tank fb70?

Refining.
    Robes get the least hp bonus from refining their equipment.
    Light armor gets a medium hp bonus from refining.
    Heavy armor gets a lot more hp from refining.

Does that answer your question? I thought you're supposed to know this!
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    There is no point going pure before that. Unlike cleric, wiz does not have all these heals to keep hp, nor plume shell fix low def in critical situations. All wiz's survivability is from equipment, and there is no really good equipment before 9X.

actually, in pve, a wizard has a far easier time than a cleric. magic and physical alike, all u have to do is stand completely still and it magically dies as u roll your fingers across the keyboard.

in pvp, our only tool is plume shell. without that, physical still hits us for unreasonably high damage. u can't out heal an archer hitting 800s as fast as they do, especially with their crit. u think it's easier, but in reality, a mage played right is a lot easier than a cleric.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    actually, in pve, a wizard has a far easier time than a cleric. magic and physical alike, all u have to do is stand completely still and it magically dies as u roll your fingers across the keyboard.

in pvp, our only tool is plume shell. without that, physical still hits us for unreasonably high damage. u can't out heal an archer hitting 800s as fast as they do, especially with their crit. u think it's easier, but in reality, a mage played right is a lot easier than a cleric.
    Clerics are just as easy in pve in most cases, except that you can heal yourself efficiently + purify. That and they have buffs constantly. So no wizards don't have a far easier time. And no, a wizard standing completely still while fighting certain mobs will die.

And no, in pvp clerics are easier to play. You have a lot more skills for controlling your target, like sleep. You take an archer as an example, but what can wizards do against them that clerics can't? Earth Barrier doesn't make our defense godly, and we don't have ANY kind of plume shell/ironheart skill to survive. Nor can we put them to sleep and debuff them. We also have nothing to stop runners, we have no proper physical attack skill, and so on.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Lol no. For example, I now grind for my genie on water mobs in far north-east (ultrafin protectors and some kind of undines, 58/57 lvl). They are squishy and deal moderate damage against water shield, but they are social and respawn quite close, so tanking 3-4 mobs is not uncommon. Pure wizards waste time on flying out or even die, i just tank.
    --
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The biggest problem with a heavy mage is we become a veno w/o a pet. We are supposed to nuke and kill it before it gets to us. LA is so controversial bc they still do a large amount of damage. As a heavy mage you lose that edge in giving damage. Sure you can take a hit, but you can't give one so you are stuck healing a lot.
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Clerics are just as easy in pve in most cases, except that you can heal yourself efficiently + purify. That and they have buffs constantly. So no wizards don't have a far easier time. And no, a wizard standing completely still while fighting certain mobs will die.
    gush, pyro, gush, pyro, push back, gush, pyro, force of will if for some reason it has unlimited hp and isn't dead yet. w/e. u don't have to move. u have the skills that give u the ability, just like venos, to not be touched. clerics don't have that. we can aoe grind magic, that's our edge, and that's all we got.

And no, in pvp clerics are easier to play. You have a lot more skills for controlling your target, like sleep. You take an archer as an example, but what can wizards do against them that clerics can't? Earth Barrier doesn't make our defense godly, and we don't have ANY kind of plume shell/ironheart skill to survive. Nor can we put them to sleep and debuff them. We also have nothing to stop runners, we have no proper physical attack skill, and so on.
    plume shell only last for 20 seconds, and u still have to heal and purify because archers are dicks and have spammable dot/magic skills. we can tank them, that's all we can do. sleeping them immobilizes us, though gives us time to try to kill them in 1 hit. u, on the other hand, have the most powerful debuff in this server: undine strike. we don't have anything near that potential.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    gush, pyro, gush, pyro, push back, gush, pyro, force of will if for some reason it has unlimited hp and isn't dead yet. w/e. u don't have to move. u have the skills that give u the ability, just like venos, to not be touched. clerics don't have that. we can aoe grind magic, that's our edge, and that's all we got.

plume shell only last for 20 seconds, and u still have to heal and purify because archers are dicks and have spammable dot/magic skills. we can tank them, that's all we can do. sleeping them immobilizes us, though gives us time to try to kill them in 1 hit. u, on the other hand, have the most powerful debuff in this server: undine strike. we don't have anything near that potential.
    You can't push anything back unless it's melee, or magic if phoenix is Lv7/8+. Clerics simply throw an ironheart in there and they're done. If a wizard stands and tanks an archer mob, it's most likely suicide. I've partied with an equal level cleric often, and neither of us have had problems with any mobs at 7x and higher.

"only" 20 seconds? Wizards have 0 seconds, gg. No, archers don't use DoT skills, because those suck and shouldn't be used under any circumstance. You can ignore their DoTs, and why would you self heal? You have plume shell, cast it and sleep them. If you die in the process, you're an idiot, and a wizard would've died faster. You can attack them once or twice, get them to 60-70%, sleep, debuff, thunder/tempest. And undine strike is hardly that good. 12 seconds is not a long time, and it costs 7m at least. And clerics can't fight other arcane class properly, wizards can't. All you have is Blade Tempest, and it's hardly as good, 2 sparks + can be countered with plume shell/Force of Will etc.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    an ironheart? 1? my iron heart ticks for 400, but physical mobs hit faster. that means i must use multiple ironhearts to survive which means i use more mana to survive so i can stand their taking more hits so i can have an even higher repair bill.

good plan, bro

realisticly, clerics have to kite physical classes if they don't want to be poor-er than they already are. unlike a wizard, we don't have those nifty pushes and teleports, we have to hit and run. no time for multiple attacks.

"only 20 seconds" translates to about 8k+ mana lost from my charm. a high archer might take 12k. they do use their dots, and the bleed ticks me for near 100 lol. it's enough to kill someone with added attacks already. plus, not healing even with plume shell is suicide on our part. all we have is that heal to fall back on, if we don't abuse the **** out of it, we'll die.

and, lol. you're in lost city. u should know by now that 1 hitting an ea gets a helluva lot harder 8x+ when they start refining the hell out of their gears.

undine strike is the most spammable, powerful debuff in the game that deals additional damage. 1 second cooldown, 1 second cast. -60% mdef in 1 strike. gf 8k mdef. blade tempest can be gotten off exactly after fow disappears. unless the cleric on the other end has ~20 ping, they're not going to have enough time.

u can keep trying, however. i've been in both shoes, and wizard gets a lot easier when they get a little boost from gears. people are just too cheap pre-90 to refine, so everybody says they only get good then.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    an ironheart? 1? my iron heart ticks for 400, but physical mobs hit faster. that means i must use multiple ironhearts to survive which means i use more mana to survive so i can stand their taking more hits so i can have an even higher repair bill.

good plan, bro

realisticly, clerics have to kite physical classes if they don't want to be poor-er than they already are. unlike a wizard, we don't have those nifty pushes and teleports, we have to hit and run. no time for multiple attacks.

"only 20 seconds" translates to about 8k+ mana lost from my charm. a high archer might take 12k. they do use their dots, and the bleed ticks me for near 100 lol. it's enough to kill someone with added attacks already. plus, not healing even with plume shell is suicide on our part. all we have is that heal to fall back on, if we don't abuse the **** out of it, we'll die.

and, lol. you're in lost city. u should know by now that 1 hitting an ea gets a helluva lot harder 8x+ when they start refining the hell out of their gears.

undine strike is the most spammable, powerful debuff in the game that deals additional damage. 1 second cooldown, 1 second cast. -60% mdef in 1 strike. gf 8k mdef. blade tempest can be gotten off exactly after fow disappears. unless the cleric on the other end has ~20 ping, they're not going to have enough time.

u can keep trying, however. i've been in both shoes, and wizard gets a lot easier when they get a little boost from gears. people are just too cheap pre-90 to refine, so everybody says they only get good then.
    If you're taking a lot of hits from melee mobs at your level I suggest you look for better skill combinations. The cleric I train with either doesn't get hit or maybe once per normal mob. If one ironheart honestly can't keep you standing for long enough to finish something off, you really need to stop using that lv50 weapon. Repair bills shouldn't go high either way, 10-15k per hour. PvE on a cleric is just as easy as on a wizard, period.

And no, real archers do not use DoTs. They're horrible, period. And no, I never said you could one-hit one. You hit them once or twice to LOWER THEIR HP TO 60-70%. Then you put them to sleep. If you die in that process with plume shell on, you're a horrible cleric and I suggest you get better gear. After you put them to sleep at that HP it generally a easy kill. Debuff them, amp with your genie, maybe even spark, and finish them off with either Thunder or Tempest. And if you can't live for long with plume shell on, how do you suppose a wizard could ever kill an archer?

No, due to the 2 second cast time of FoW you cannot get a Blade Tempest off before the cleric can't cast plume shell. I've tested this multiple times, with lv9 FoW, and I doubt that last level is going to make any difference. Add the fact that clerics can't stack heals and it'll be retardedly hard for a wizard to kill a cleric at lower levels, simply because you can't oneshot a decent cleric with BTempest.