What exactly is the difference in Magical Power?

Options
Taurzo - Lost City
Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
I have heard tons and tons of different things about LA Mag. Dmg and Robe Mag. Dmg. I've heard that LA builds do very little less than Robes, and I've heard that Robes do insane amounts more than the LA builds. I've heard about diminishing returns (btw does that effect Magical Attack for Robes?). I'm just curious about the FACTS can someone provide factual proof not just he said she said about what the difference is? I just want to get down to the bottom of this mystery xP thanks a ton. (Plz let HIGH LV WIZARDS post, seems that there is a cleric who thinks he's a wiz master and lowbies who think they know this game like the back of their hand.)
Post edited by Taurzo - Lost City on

Comments

• Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2481151&postcount=19

http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=13639482.png

http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=100b.png

This is for vit mage vs pure, but vit has just the same matk 'cause mag stat is the same as in LA build (3 per level).
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The damage in PvP is hardly noticable until you refine your weapon heavily. LA is a common path due to cheap molders and availibility of gear. Past 90 there's no reason to be LA though because everyone uses hh90 and the mods on the robes are very pro-pure build (lots of hp and pdef)
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    Pirodar - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Raw numbers are pretty easy to calculate.

In my case if I restated to LA my M attack would be 1200 lower.

Now if you want to know if it's much or not you are going to hear opinions based on personal preferences and those differ widely.

I don't do PvP at all (maybe I'll see a TW one day. I think I'd like to, but I don't feel ready). For me 1200 difference is a huge difference. It all depends on the situation, but I wouldn't call 1200 small in any circumstances. I just got to level 82 and my M attack raised about 60 points. Seems negligible right? But those additional 60 points is the difference between DP->gush->pyrogram->gush being enough to kill Mothrans or not, in case I am not buffed. At 81 if I had not been buffed I had to use Glacial Snare or Sandstorm as an opener, or do one more hit. Glacial snare was better than other options, but its cooldown made me crazy. 60 additional points in M attack changed my grinding experience for better. Now I need not much more, to be able to kill them with pyrogram->gush->pyrogram->gush while buffed. And once again the difference will be huge.
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    In PvE the difference is quite big, LA will be needing 1 more hit than a pure build. In PvP it's hardly noticable, maybe at "end-game" (90+) it's something like 500 dmg? Still sounds too much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I rolled a LA wizz on Sanct until 43 or 44 I think...

good thing: Survivability. Didn't died to often, but I was just learning the game then and that was a propper build for that time.
    bad thing: A full Int support cleric with metal mastery up do date (rolled by a friend/neighbor) was doing more dmg than me. So...LA Wizz was doing less dmg than a cleric and had no squad buffs. What the hell is the use of a wizz then?
    At that moment I've decided there's no point in rolling a LA Wizz on PvE server. Better roll a Cleric and at least ppl want u in runs for buffs. My wizz now is 64, full int, and now I'm making a difference. I hit slow, but damn I hit hard. No matter what FB/boss run I'm in, when I hit that mob u can see the HP bar drop. I raised all my masteries as much as I could, and believe me, adding a +12% to +16% on all your hits is a big thing (I put some cash into Endurance badges as at this lvl is still impossible to upgrade everything so I got some sp to spare). A wizz is as good as the amount of dmg he does in a shot. Cast time is killing us at lower lvls ( after lvl77 is worth puting some cash to get to a 24-30% channeling reduction) so our only good thing there is do dmg. The higher the better. I have 1800hp unbuffed and 1400pdef with earth barrier on. That's good enough to survive with no probs in a Zhen where everyone knows what to do, and the added dmg is PvE is more than rewarding from my PoV.
    Of course, different play style might fit better with LA wizz...but for the way I'm playing Robe is the way to go. AGAIN, this is on PvE server. On PvP going robe will be a nightmare until 70-80s when u can get some gear that puts u on par or at least close with other classes survivability.

PS: just a few hrs ago I did Mantavip for a veno with a 69 cleric. Just the 3 of us, the veno had popcorn while we took it down. I haven't had my eyes on the clock but didn't take long. Sometimes the hits were pretty hard and I wonder if a LA wizz would have been able to tank it at this lvl (64). Probably the high hp would compensate for the mdef lack...but...dunno.

LE: I meant LA wizz in PS...but anyway, I got the confirmation from Mikel_oru that even a LA cleric can do it. That means a LA wizz with water shield on will do it by default.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    PS: just a few hrs ago I did Mantavip for a veno with a 69 cleric. Just the 3 of us, the veno had popcorn while we took it down. I haven't had my eyes on the clock but didn't take long. Sometimes the hits were pretty hard and I wonder if a LA cleric would have been able to tank it at this lvl (64). Probably the high hp would compensate for the mdef lack...but...dunno.

I tanked it a couple of lvls back and I'm LA. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    Pirodar - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    It's good to realize one thing.

During grinding You control what You kill. You pick a mob you are comfortable with. If You are comfortable with 4 hits You pick a mob You can kill in 4 hits and possibly at the edge, to waste as little damage of the last hit as possible. In that case lowering your damage guarantees the need for one more hit. On the other hand, If You have to use 5 strikes anyway, you pick strongest possible mob you can kill in 5 strikes. In that case the damage increase, restating from LA to pure gives You, may not be enough to reduce number of hits to 4.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Lev 61 tanked Mantavip fine as LA.

Dmg changes are tough to calculate. Changing a ring that gives +30 att might change your Matt by 105. But increased crit might raise at about +26 matt per crit % but wouldn't be calculated in the display.

LA has a higher crit rate by at least 4% and generally more due to equip prefrences. Sometimes those 4-5 shot mobs are 1-2 shots instead. Much more likely to crit as LA.

Molds for LA between 6x-89 are WAY cheaper than trying for TT arcane etc. And give almost as much mag prot as standard robes. The $$ you save on the gear can be used to raise +'s on your armor\sword\ornaments to balance out your other numbers.

During your 6x's when you start getting into zhen LA makes it much safer and much more stable for the party. This makes zhen a preferable method of gaining xp.

I've been on grinds and boss fights with many other wiz's my same level. On a hit by hit they tend to outdamage me by about 1k each hit, but I crit much more frequently. Usually its me taking the aggro and holding it when we are playing around. I'd put that more at skill choice and timing then I would to a particular build, as whoever gets the first shot tends to hold it unless crit happens.

I wouldn't push anyone down the LA path, but I don't regret traveling it. Being able to survive a barb\bm\archer gank is priceless.
  • Taurzo - Lost City
    Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies b:victory. If at lvl 80 the difference is only 1K I don't find that to be that much of a significant difference for me to change... when it starts to get like 3K or more in difference then I'll switch to Arcane.