About Bosses

VelvetRose - Harshlands
VelvetRose - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Archer
I've read Annor's guide (Thumbs up by the way, very good guide b:thanks), but there's just a little thing that bothers me...
As it is impossible to see your own accumulated threat, and your tanks accumulated threat, you should plan your attacking before the fight, and try to avoid guess-work mid-fight. My reccommendation is to choose your starting point based on the level and ability of the tank (the latter if you know it) i.e. for a tank of significantly higher level, start dealing damage at 95% boss HP, for a tank around your level start at 85-90%, for a tank 5 or more levels lower start damage at 80%, and for a tank 10 or more levels lower start at 65-75% boss HP; this method removes guess-work, and ensures the tank gets a solid headstart.

I understand that I must do absolutely nothing until that percentage (I could even sit down and meditate?). But when I start attacking, is it better to go with a few normal attacks (to prevent high criticals that would steal aggro from the tank) or do I immediately start casting my skills to do maximum damage ?
Post edited by VelvetRose - Harshlands on

Comments

• Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    max damage from archer comes from normal attacks on bosses, ya do sharptooth, wait for barb to get some aggro and then normal attack it down
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Thats how I do it anyway, It's really a technique more designed for the longer boss fights in later levels, always give your tanks a headstart though.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • VelvetRose - Harshlands
    VelvetRose - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Ok^^ Thanks to you two b:victory
  • chrystie
    chrystie Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Related question regarding bosses.
    I've had no problems with boss fights using the above stated method but ever since I've gotten my TT60 crossbow, I tend to steal aggro from my tanks (some more than 10 levels above me), especially when I crit (which tends to be often, since I'm a pure dex build).
    In this case, what should be done? Grab another bow which does not deal as much damage? Idk, but that seems a little silly - a DD unable to deal damage without getting the squad in trouble b:surrender
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    often the case is the barb is not flesh reaming enough, due to lazyness or lack of chi, make sure veno passes him spark and he spams aggro skill, and of course using your spark erutption is risky so yah dont do that, another option is running tts with hercs mmm great aggro hold on bosses
  • BloodCountes - Heavens Tear
    BloodCountes - Heavens Tear Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    chrystie wrote: »
    Related question regarding bosses.
    I've had no problems with boss fights using the above stated method but ever since I've gotten my TT60 crossbow, I tend to steal aggro from my tanks (some more than 10 levels above me), especially when I crit (which tends to be often, since I'm a pure dex build).
    In this case, what should be done? Grab another bow which does not deal as much damage? Idk, but that seems a little silly - a DD unable to deal damage without getting the squad in trouble b:surrender

Take off your rings.
    My people, some of them have run away to the hills
    and have no shelter. No food, no one knows where they are,
    hear me my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad,
    I will fight no more....
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The percentages I give in that passage are examples, you have to adjust if you're stealing aggro, start later ;)

*I adjusted the guide to highlight the above.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • nicolelover
    nicolelover Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'v seen a lot of archers take aggro all the time and varied opionions given. Here is what I do, With these hints you can learn how to NOT take aggro :

Situation 1 > If Barb has his Flesh Ream maxed or to a decent Level,
    4 Normal Shots + (Slow Casting Skill) + 4 Normal Shots + So on...

(Slow Casting Skill) -> Thunderous Shock or Thunderous Blast or Deadly Shot

The Slow Casting Skill servers as a Pause in-between your normal hits and lessens the aggro & at the same time gives the tank time to aggro more.

Situation 2> If Barb has his Flesh Ream at a very Low Level or a BM is tanking,

Just Use 4 Normal Shots, Pause 1 Sec, 4 Normal Shots, Pause.
    Yea its funny you should take such precautions but its better than having yourself killed and your whole party being wiped out.
  • Masodaf - Sanctuary
    Masodaf - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I just sharptooth, wait a couple of flesh reams, then constant normal attack, pausing a couple of seconds after every crit.

Works for me xD
  • The_Forgoten - Lost City
    The_Forgoten - Lost City Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I usually wait until the boss is at 75% hp before iI start to attack. When the boss is at 50 or so %, (if I feel the tank has a good aggro hold) I go all-out damage dealing. It works great for me. Then again, I always know my tank quite well. If you don't know your tank very well, don't ever go all-out damage dealing. It may work out a few times, but you never know if your tank is experienced enough unless he is a friend. :P just my 2-cents.
  • Masodaf - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    I usually wait until the boss is at 75% hp before iI start to attack. When the boss is at 50 or so %, (if I feel the tank has a good aggro hold) I go all-out damage dealing. It works great for me. Then again, I always know my tank quite well. If you don't know your tank very well, don't ever go all-out damage dealing. It may work out a few times, but you never know if your tank is experienced enough unless he is a friend. :P just my 2-cents.

What do you mean by all-out damage dealing? Spam skills?
  • Guardgodess - Sanctuary
    Guardgodess - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    archer's most damage come out of normal auto attacks, using skills lower the total damage output

so all out attack=constant auto attack
  • Masodaf - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Aye, I was just wondering if Forgoten knew that.. if s/he starts attacking at 75% then goes all out damage dealing at 50%, whats s/he attacking with at 75%? unequip bow and punch the boss??
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Aye, I was just wondering if Forgoten knew that.. if s/he starts attacking at 75% then goes all out damage dealing at 50%, whats s/he attacking with at 75%? unequip bow and punch the boss??
    Laser eye beams maso, laser is the way to go b:chuckle btw hi maso XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Masodaf - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Heeeey star lol xD

And yeah, thanks for reminding me about the laser eyes skill, i'll bear it in mind when you next force me into TTs waaay above my level haha xD
  • Hametsu - Heavens Tear
    Hametsu - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'v seen a lot of archers take aggro all the time and varied opinions given. Here is what I do, With these hints you can learn how to NOT take aggro :

Situation 1 > If Barb has his Flesh Ream maxed or to a decent Level,

For Situation 1, as long as the barb is close to or above your level, you shouldn't steal aggro unless you crit 4x or 5x in a row.
    Situation 2> If Barb has his Flesh Ream at a very Low Level or a BM is tanking,

Situation 2, you're probably going to die a lot, don't bother. A high level fist/claw BM might be an exception to this.

A third situation - Barb has flesh ream, etc. maxed but is several levels lower than you.

This is where pacing your attacks, removing +crit% items, and slow casting skills are best put to use.
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    Goldian - Dreamweaver Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    at lvl 72 in fb 51 with a slingshot.. i stole aggro all the time with JUST regular shots and i waited a bit so tank gets aggro first.. i waited for him to do some dmg.. and m ysquad had several 8x <.< yea yea powned archers rules