Vazil's Guide to Quick Pet Leveling

Options
2»

Comments

• Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    A number of people have indicated the Bow and Arrow method not effective because of low accuracy. I fail to see why that should matter. Even if you miss, the important thing is that you have aggroed the mob. Set your pet on auto defend and have brambles up and forget about the mob you missed. Move onto the next one immediately. Your pet will finish it off. If you happen to be so fast you actually out aggro the ability of your pet to keep up, a cast of AOE noxious every once in a while will handle that.

The only caveat to that is if you have a very low level pet. Say under Lvl 20.
    there is a chance that your pet will get killed when it is very low level, so put it on manual attack. Then every once in a while cast noxious on one of the mob around you to wipe them out. It will only take a few minutes to get it to level 20. Then you can set it on auto defend and let the pet take care of the mob you missed.

Anyway even though the Bow and arrow method is the fastest IMHO, running around Room 4 doing the same thing is monotonous. So I mix in several of the other techniques outlined for variety.
  • RockSkin - Sanctuary
    RockSkin - Sanctuary Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I'm curious if a full magic Veno can do this pet leveling without much problems? Any idea? Thanks in advance.
    Life's too short to be wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I'm curious if a full magic Veno can do this pet leveling without much problems? Any idea? Thanks in advance.

I remove my weapon and do barehand, no repair costs, and mobs still die in one hit anyway.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Wow, if there's an expensive time wasting lazy way to get XP someone will find it. -lol

Remember those scorpions, spiders, and mantis's that were all bunched up down near Yan the Traitor? Well when you get to a certain level, they are 1 hit kills. No rounding them up: just cast noxious gas and watch 5-6 of them fall over. -Then pick up the rare oil they drop. Once your pet gets to their level, head up to Dawn's Cry Island for some 2 hit kills with AoE, and again valuable oil. If you can't find 1 or 2 hit kills above your pet's level: it can probably start handling your level mobs. I did this with my level 2 scorpion (squishy). Started it on manual so it stayed somewhat safe.

Air pets can be leveled the same way.

Water mobs often have rare drops as well. Level up from 56 to 76 on clam scouts and get fungus. -Not fast, but profitable.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    A better way than casting a spell at the "Train" would be to switch your pet into Guard Mode at the last moment and then just sit back and watch it kill every stone in succession. Works like a charm. If you are a Fox Veno like me though, you can kill a BIG group with just Befuddling Mist.
  • leythy
    leythy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Cool cheers so much i am so gonna do this when i get my herc
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Remember those scorpions, spiders, and mantis's that were all bunched up down near Yan the Traitor? Well when you get to a certain level, they are 1 hit kills. No rounding them up: just cast noxious gas and watch 5-6 of them fall over.

Yup - it's pretty easy to get the pet to maybe 10 or 5 levels short of your level, on things that you can one-shot.

It's getting it up past those last few levels that's a hump, since you need to kill stuff which is reasonably annoying, which isn't high enough to give you good drops and you need to kill billions of the darn things.

I confess to having moused a few levels across my pets. And my nix is still half my level, though scarily is good enough at that.

Edit:
    My strategy in mouse room has been: Send pet one way, fire venomous and noxious (at group) the other. Keep retargeting pet and keep moving to the next group, they spawn fast enough that by the time I've gone round they're back.
    Sometimes my pet misses, and eventually I need to noxious the group following him.

Interestingly, I reckon the monsters must be doing a magic attack, because they don't die on pet reflect or my brambles.
  • Michiyuki - Heavens Tear
    Michiyuki - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    does anyone have any screen shots of anyone doing this?

i wanna try but ^__^ dont like the idea of dieing since im a new player!!

screen shots will be appreciated please :3
    reading isnt enough for me xD b:cute
  • ArkanaFox - Raging Tide
    ArkanaFox - Raging Tide Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    My method is just put my herc in manual, and just keep pressing TAB, F1, TAB, F1, TAB, F1, etc
    F1 is Venomous Scarab (one shot kill), and using Nature's Grace when needed, simple and fast =)
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    does anyone have any screen shots of anyone doing this?

i wanna try but ^__^ dont like the idea of dieing since im a new player.

Uh... you really can't die in the mouse bashing room. They deal, at most, double digits.

And you can't get in there until level 40 anyway, so don't worry about it.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    this has always been the ideal way to level a pet, and the most recommended. but the trick has always been....GETTING INTO that bloody room! some people pop right in, every time, and some, like me, can try over and over, and just spend time, money, celes and charm burn in rooms we most definitily dont want to land in!

i've heard that there is a way to take your dice to one of the big pots, and switch it for what you need, but i have never heard how it works/how to do it. does anyone know this is certain? and how to do it?

Got a pet you need to level quickly? I put this guide together based on my experience leveling my HERC. Comments and suggestions welcome.

NOTE: This guide assumes you are at least level 40 since all the pet leveling will happing in the cube.

1. Get your pet and get it hatched.
    2. Get your pet's loyalty to at least 960.
    3. Have at least 20 tickets (or 10 mirage) for the cube.
    4. Enter the cube.
    5. Your goal is to get to room 4 (Mice Bashing). If you go past room 4, find a way to fail a room or die (last resort town portal) to get back to room 1. Rinse and continue until you reach room 4. Room 4 is called Mice Bashing. Full of a crapload of stones that only have like 20 HP but have a VERY HIGH evasion and are thus difficult to hit.
    6. VERY IMPORTANT - Remove all your equipment. If you do not, you will be quite suprised at your equip repair bill!
    7. Summon your pet. Put your pet on manual attack (you do not want your pet hitting the mobs as it will likely kill the mob).
    8. VERY IMPORTANT - Make sure you keep Summer Sprint up at all times. You want to stay ahead of the mobs.
    9. Attack mobs with your fists to create a "train". Mobs are non-aggro until hit. ALWAYS keep moving - I would target the next mob as soon as I started swinging on the current mob. Start slow (like 5 mobs) until you know how many you can handle. They only hit for 8-16 HP each, but it adds up when you have a bunch of them hitting you at once. An HP charm is useful, but not necessary. Once you have the train at the size you want (I was averaging about 15-20 at a time with 2500HP), run to the center of the largest group of stones you can find that you haven't hit yet.
    10. Start casting Noxious Cloud (veno AOE) as soon as you stop running. The stones will catch up before it goes off and will quite often interrupt you - spam the spell until it goes off (watch your HP in case you need to pot to survive until spell goes off). Voila! Bunch of dead mobs that give full XP (15) to your pet.
    11. Check your HP and get it where you need it for the next round. I could do about 3 runs before I needed to pot/infuse/etc.
    12. Rinse and repeat.
    13. If you run out of time, you can log out in this room and when you log back in, you will still be there.

NOTE: You can actually get lucky and kill a stone with your bare hands (VENO TANK) so if your Noxious Cloud isn't casting, make sure you have a mob in your train selected (I almost died figuring that one out).

Using this strategy, I was able to level my HERC from 1 to 41 in about 1.5 hours. I didn't use any charms and only a handful of pots (when I got spam interrupted from training too many mobs).

Good luck, and any additional hints/tips are welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i could ask my son to. he is a barb, and loves to go to an FB 19, and round up all the mobs, then kill them with one hit. or i noxious them with one hit. either way, its a blast!b:laugh

oops on the double post!

Wow. I've never herd of doing it that way before. Do you think you can made a vid of this? I really want to see it in action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Nibby - Dreamweaver
    Nibby - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I hate mice - besides

Time is money and if you have to stand around lvl-ing pets you might as well make a few bucks in the process.
  • _Lachesis_ - Heavens Tear
    _Lachesis_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well one thing that has worked for me...i take off all my gear and keep my pet in manual. then i go and puch the mobs till i have a good sized grp. then i stop and let all of them catch up to me and set off an earthquake from my genie. its faster than the aoe cause there is no channeling time.
  • _Lachesis_ - Heavens Tear
    _Lachesis_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    and for flying pets..the stauch worms over by the tideborn capital give u a max 15 exp points per kill. and they dont aggro nor do they attack, so there is no need to waste any mana what so ever. just send ur pet off and sit back and watch the fireworks lol
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Mobs for air pets:

Along with the stauch worms lvl 100 mobs (mentioned by _Lachesis_) there's the petal biter batwings (marriage quest mobs). These are the ones behind Hidden Orchid. The batwings are ? mobs and you'll have to make sure your air pet can handle them as well. You can also use the spiders from the marriage quest area just north of Nameless Island as they are ? mobs too but are land mobs (so can use land pets as well (note that you'll spawn another larger spider if you use these). But as they are ? mobs you get the full 15 exp per mob no matter the lvl of your pet. It is best over all to use these mobs on a day that the marriage quest is not occurring at these places.

I use my air pet on all my quest mobs and take my herc into Valley of the Scarred when I need to max out his exp. I put him on guard there and have a blast. Usually end up with a pretty high repair bill for a veno but I've also made a ton of coin from coin and drops to cover it plus extra.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mooman321
    mooman321 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hmmm was this post started before the "tab to target" was implemented? I just put my pet on manual, my venemous hotkeyed to the Q key. and hit tab Q tab Q tab Q.....taking mobs out one at a time. I watch a movie and just have one hand on the keyboard. When i hear the sound effect for venemous, I hit tab Q again. I literally don't even look at the screen untill the spell stops going off (out of mana, natures grace, right back to it)

Of course when the room is crowded this means i am probably kill stealing alot, but meh......its the cube.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yes, the original post predates tab to target by quite a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • jesswillterr
    jesswillterr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It is quite a simple matter to make a rudimentary speed potion to get some distance between yourself and the mob train, then you can cast without getting interrupted....