Does Soul Degeneration Affect Heals?

Baritomaris - Sanctuary
Baritomaris - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
I haven't gotten soul degeneration, mostly because it seems like a pointless curse. How often does HP and MP regeneration affect the outcome of a fight anyway?

But then I got to thinking. If this curse affected heals too, then it could be a great tool against clerics. If it doesn't affect heals, well, then it goes back to being a crappy worthless curse.

So will soul degeneration prevent a cleric from healing? Thanks.
Post edited by Baritomaris - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    In theory Soul Degeneration should stop Ironheart Blessing dead on it's tracks tho i will admit to lacking enough experience to know wether it is actually used on pvp as there may be other factors to consider. It should be noted that while it targets a cleric's most important heal it should have no effect on many others and thus it wouldn't be able to completely stop the cleric from healing himself. A self buffed arcane would already have good damage reduction vs elemental damage and plume shell complicates things for melee fox and pet attacks (flesh ream aside) so using soul degeneration may be too limited a strategy to include on the small window of oportunity a veno has to attack considering a cleric's slow and sleep attacks. It is definitively worth looking into however, as it could make a good response for the familiar ironheart spamming if it works.
  • Nightfaii - Harshlands
    Nightfaii - Harshlands Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    in the time it takes to run up and cast, you could have done WAY more productive damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    Succubae - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It may be useful in TW ? You debuff while someone else kills...
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I haven't gotten soul degeneration, mostly because it seems like a pointless curse. How often does HP and MP regeneration affect the outcome of a fight anyway?

But then I got to thinking. If this curse affected heals too, then it could be a great tool against clerics. If it doesn't affect heals, well, then it goes back to being a crappy worthless curse.

So will soul degeneration prevent a cleric from healing? Thanks.

Haha there's the best veno I ever fought and I can guess why you're asking this ;)
    I'm not 100% sure that it stops ironheart but we can test it if you want, i don't mind at all but don't forget that ironheart is not the only healing spell that Clerics poccess, there's also wellspring surge, if maxed it works wonders and it's an instant heal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Haha there's the best veno I ever fought and I can guess why you're asking this ;)
    I'm not 100% sure that it stops ironheart but we can test it if you want, i don't mind at all but don't forget that ironheart is not the only healing spell that Clerics poccess, there's also wellspring surge, if maxed it works wonders and it's an instant heal.

Not officially tested, but Ironheart itself is actually a buff spell, which should be able to disperse with Purge, while Pureheart and Wellspring are instant heals and should be interrupted while channeling ^^
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Not officially tested, but Ironheart itself is actually a buff spell, which should be able to disperse with Purge, while Pureheart and Wellspring are instant heals and should be interrupted while channeling ^^

That's the most logical case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    The problem of Purge vs Soul Degeneration is that while Purge may be able to get rid of all stacked Ironhearts it would not prevent the cleric from reaplying them again, which Soul Degeneration could manage. As the effect of Soul Degeneration at a decent level will outlast the hp regen effect of Ironheart it would effectively be the same as removing it.
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    But again, Soul Degeneration can prevent a "buff" to function, or just cancels HP/MP recovery?
    edited April 2009
    It cancels hp/mp regeneration for x amount of seconds (12 secs at lvl 1, increasing at a rate of +2 secs/lvl).
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Did anyone go and test this yet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Did anyone go and test this yet?

It could've been tested with 1/10th the effort spent on all the speculation posted so far. Just find a cleric, explain the idea, and duel him. I'd do it except I haven't bothered to buy soul degeneration yet.
    edited April 2009
    Well you should have done so, some of us have activities that allow us to post on the forums but not to log on to the game.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Well you should have done so, some of us have activities that allow us to post on the forums but not to log on to the game.
    That's why I waited a day before commenting on it - so people would have time to hop into the game to try it.

I don't really have a vested interest in knowing the answer to this as I'm not into PvP. I prefer to waste my time testing out other things. b:chuckle I was just commenting on people's penchant for talking about something but never doing anything about it.
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    It cancels hp/mp regeneration for x amount of seconds (12 secs at lvl 1, increasing at a rate of +2 secs/lvl).

Does that mean that even instant heals or pots wouldn't have an effect?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Fine I'll do it tonight when I get home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ban_me - Dreamweaver
    Ban_me - Dreamweaver Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yes it does, soul degen can stop ironheart (at least thats wat it seemed like) idk bout pots etc, though purge works better for ironheart for it takes away the stack too
    in a fight, u purge clerics first, and if they heal use soul degen to stop them from gaining hp until u kill em :D
  • unknown862
    unknown862 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    im not sure how it was tested, but i just tried 2 ways:

1)lower healer HPs down to 30%, cast soul degeneration, healer cast ironheart on top of my spell.. and HPs still went up

2)lower HPs down then tell healer to cast ironheart first, then i use soul degeneration, HPs still went up.

So even if i cast before or after ironheart is being cast, the regen still occur.
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    unknown862 wrote: »
    im not sure how it was tested, but i just tried 2 ways:

1)lower healer HPs down to 30%, cast soul degeneration, healer cast ironheart on top of my spell.. and HPs still went up

2)lower HPs down then tell healer to cast ironheart first, then i use soul degeneration, HPs still went up.

So even if i cast before or after ironheart is being cast, the regen still occur.

Have you tried with Celestial Guardian Seal (the true Regen buff) as well?
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Have you tried with Celestial Guardian Seal (the true Regen buff) as well?

Celestial Guardian is a buff, if the buff s removed then it will certainly stop the regeneration. Ironheart is not exacly a buff, it's a heal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Celestial Guardian is a buff, if the buff s removed then it will certainly stop the regeneration. Ironheart is not exacly a buff, it's a heal.

Its a heal over time, with a specific duration, therefore qualifies as one, and gets removed by purge, so it is definitely a buff...