Halp! O.o

Helianthus - Dreamweaver
Helianthus - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
Need some advice on my veno build.

I'm a lvl 42 robe veno. Str, vit, and dex are all around 40, and mag is at 110ish. I don't plan to put any more points into anything but mag now. I still seem to have a lot of problems with dying (I tend to get aggro a lot).

...did I mess up??
Post edited by Helianthus - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Are you upgrading your pet skills at Mrs. Zoologist in Archosaur? Upgrading your pet skills will help them keep aggro.
  • Helianthus - Dreamweaver
    Helianthus - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Well it's not that he loses aggro. It's that he aggros like three other mobs, who get bored with him (as he only attacks one of them at a time) and come to me...
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Well it's not that he loses aggro. It's that he aggros like three other mobs, who get bored with him (as he only attacks one of them at a time) and come to me...

If he doesn't hit them, they will come after you from just a heal. As long as he hits each of them at least once you can heal safely. If you use noxious gas, which you really shouldn't for regular grinding unless you have a herc, then he needs to hit them a lot before it's safe.

Also, your dex is way high for a robe build. You could be wearing LA with your stats which would help some if you keep grabbing aggro.
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Need some advice on my veno build.

I'm a lvl 42 robe veno. Str, vit, and dex are all around 40, and mag is at 110ish. I don't plan to put any more points into anything but mag now. I still seem to have a lot of problems with dying (I tend to get aggro a lot).

...did I mess up??

Kind of. a robe user do not need dex. unless you plan to switch to LA, you may need a reset note. your STR is enough until level 72. You will need to add at least 70 more points to your MAG in order to use HH60 weapon. so you basically only have 20 points to spare before level 60.

What pet you have? I have 3.5x+ MAG, my pet have level 4 bash, I can hardly pull aggro off him (I do some time). so you should have no aggro problem if your pet have the right skill.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    If he doesn't hit them, they will come after you from just a heal. As long as he hits each of them at least once you can heal safely.

Actually, if your pet has only been damaging one mob, you can just run away a short distance, unsummon your pet, and quickly resummon it. Only the mob that's been damaged by your pet will chase you. The extras which aggroed onto your pet will not. This is the basis for veno pulling - you send your pet into a group of mobs, it hits one mob once, you unsummon and resummon your pet, only the mob that was hit attacks you. You'll need to learn this if you want to get into groups at higher levels.

Be warned that if you do this and you've dumped a lot of spell damage onto the mob, it could take a while for your pet to regain aggro. It's not a big deal when grinding, but can easily be fatal if you do it on a boss.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Wear some light armor, with that build, theres no point to a robe.
    Also, try putting some time between each attack, you dont need to spam immediatly after cooldown. Thats the biggest mistakes idiot archers/wizards make when in FBs alot of times, out damaging their barbs and resulting in archer / wizard death. Pretend the pet is your barb, dont aim to get the swift kill, aim to kill without dying.
  • Kristiona - Heavens Tear
    Kristiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    When others attack your pet either lure the mob by summoning pet and resummoning after mob gets away from other mobs. Otherwise target each mob and have your pet hit each then just keep your pet alive and you won't pull agro this way.

kristiona
  • Flyingpix - Heavens Tear
    Flyingpix - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The other thing to keep in mind is what skills you use. Some spike higher which increases the initial hate on you. Another factor is the type of pet you use, golems hold agro well if you don't overdo your spells. If you tend to do that you can compensate by getting an eldergoth marksman/sharpshooter that have the skill that works like provoke. I used mine in the last FB19 and it was pulling the agro off our barb like crazy even with myself and our wiz out damaging everyone else. The eldergoth marksman/sharpshooter has an addition value of being a great pulling pet for FBs with all skills clicked off with its ranged attack (summon, attack, unsummon, resummon.) Mastering this will help you out a lot in general grind and in FB/HH parties.
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It's not messed up that bad, you should hardly ever steal aggro from your pet tho you might have trouble healing it. If you choose to go arcane i would recomend restating your dex to mag, that should be a simple fix for any trouble you might have. An intermediate reset note will cost you 2 gold which you should be able to grind in a reasonably short amount of time, even with what build you have now. After that you should stat nothing but mag as you have yourself realized, as you won't need any extra str to meet robe requirements until you hit 70+. I would however be more concerned about how you've been upgrading your skills as this may also be a factor affecting your build. Once again, if you choose arcane veno, you should make sure that at the very least Pet Heal and Ironwood Scarab are leveled up as high as you can get them. I recomend you to check the stickied guides for a better understanding of what build to choose, and how to restat and skill your veno.