Herc holding aggro after lvl 80

Options
LhRag - Sanctuary
LhRag - Sanctuary Posts: 106 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
I've heard about hercules not being able to hold aggro even with lvl 5 bash after lvl 80,
and since i'm a pure magic build, i think that will start to happen to me too afte lvl 80,
question is: should I start adding Vit from lvl 80 then?
my stats are

Vit = 3
Str = 45
(bit high because I restatted myself from light armor build to pure magic build, can't stand the low damage)
Dex = 5
Mag =all the remaining points...
Post edited by LhRag - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ashuransteel - Sanctuary
    Ashuransteel - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I've heard about hercules not being able to hold aggro even with lvl 5 bash after lvl 80,
    and since i'm a pure magic build, i think that will start to happen to me too afte lvl 80,
    question is: should I start adding Vit from lvl 80 then?
    my stats are

Vit = 3
    Str = 45
    (bit high because I restatted myself from light armor build to pure magic build, can't stand the low damage)
    Dex = 5
    Mag =all the remaining points...

Thats not entirely true, mine holds it just fine with level 3 and reflect o_o;
    You wouldnt have to play with your stats, you could just play like a wizard in a party and behave like herc is your barb.

You know should learn how to distance the time between attacks, instead of spamming them in a haphazard style hoping youll kill it before it comes to you if you do steal aggro. Wizards and archers can do it, you can too :)
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    Reivi - Sanctuary Posts: 742 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Thats not entirely true, mine holds it just fine with level 3 and reflect o_o;
    You wouldnt have to play with your stats, you could just play like a wizard in a party and behave like herc is your barb.

You know should learn how to distance the time between attacks, instead of spamming them in a haphazard style hoping youll kill it before it comes to you if you do steal aggro. Wizards and archers can do it, you can too :)

If you distance time .. .. whats the goal ?

less DPS ?

When you wanna grind, the more damages, the more mobs you do ( on average ) if your pet cant hold the aggro.. and the mob has a little more hp/res.. you're dead (not if playting with charm/pots and quick to flee) .

you wanna take on some boss, you all take time at hitting the boss and it takes 20- 25 min to finish it.. even if the boss is some lame ******* ( after 75 almost all are - they only have gigatons of HP) and some DPS would down it in 3 minutes flat.

Doesnt it bother you than you cant down some bosses more quickly, just because .. the aggro holder cant hold ?

Or we all just play differently, and begin to asks ourselves

Do a Veno needs more than 300 Mag ?

[I played more than 10 mmos in the last 15 Years, PW is the first i see with issues on holding aggro, having to lessen the DPS, and time consumming bosses.... wich would be countered by adding DPS]
    I look at all the trollers, and Pvpers.. and know they wouldnt have lasted 30sec on Camelot.

Rules= Know your enemy (players and NPCs) gives you more chances to survive.
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Normal grinding mobs,herc holds the agro easily on first hit,the mobs die within 3 spell casts.

Bosses,the agro holding from herc won't be an issue,because you'll also be healing,i mean if you're able to throw 10 attacks in a row before healing the herc yeah maybe it'll lose agro,but that doesn't happen.
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Normal grinding mobs,herc holds the agro easily on first hit,the mobs die within 3 spell casts.

Bosses,the agro holding from herc won't be an issue,because you'll also be healing,i mean if you're able to throw 10 attacks in a row before healing the herc yeah maybe it'll lose agro,but that doesn't happen.

normal mobs .... 2 spells .. max

I wasnt clear enough concerning bosses... I meant in party !!!

And playing with my wife ( Me LA veno, Her Mag Veno) when tanking the boss with herc.. she steals the aggro, really quick ( 4 consecutives spells without crit !!! ) So bosses take between 15 -25 minutes ... although they could be done in less than 10 if the aggro holder could really hold.

I forgot the comparison with Real life fight.. ever been in a gang fight ? or some fight where friends of the one taking on you hit you from behind?

How do you react??? you dont change aggro ;)
    I look at all the trollers, and Pvpers.. and know they wouldnt have lasted 30sec on Camelot.

• MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    normal mobs .... 2 spells .. max

I wasnt clear enough concerning bosses... I meant in party !!!

And playing with my wife ( Me LA veno, Her Mag Veno) when tanking the boss with herc.. she steals the aggro, really quick ( 4 consecutives spells without crit !!! ) So bosses take between 15 -25 minutes ... although they could be done in less than 10 if the aggro holder could really hold.

I forgot the comparison with Real life fight.. ever been in a gang fight ? or some fight where friends of the one taking on you hit you from behind?

Outside of TT herc will lose agro on bosses yes,but that isn't anything to do with lvl 5 bash as such,herc will lose agro whatever skill he uses ,as will any other pet over a period of time,saying that i party up with an archer in fb79 runs and hes able to spark and let fly with a bunch of criticals on the bosses that use melee attacks(so hercs reflect kicks in)and hes my level and very nice gears.

Normal mob 2 spells max as LA?Unless your weapon and rings are amazing you're not killing anything with (i assume)an ironwood and a venomous/lucky scarab,i'm your level and it takes 3 sometimes 4 to down a craig boulderarm,my ironwood hits for 7k on average.,,EDIT infact i just crit one there now for 14,9k and still took 3 spells ;)
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Outside of TT herc will lose agro on bosses yes,but that isn't anything to do with lvl 5 bash as such,herc will lose agro whatever skill he uses ,as will any other pet over a period of time,saying that i party up with an archer in fb79 runs and hes able to spark and let fly with a bunch of criticals on the bosses that use melee attacks(so hercs reflect kicks in)and hes my level and very nice gears.

Normal mob 2 spells max as LA?Unless your weapon and rings are amazing you're not killing anything with (i assume)an ironwood and a venomous/lucky scarab,i'm your level and it takes 3 sometimes 4 to down a craig boulderarm,my ironwood hits for 7k on average.,,EDIT infact i just crit one there now for 14,9k and still took 3 spells ;)

I have 295 mag ;) max mag bonuses ;)

For FB79, we know only watch herc do the damages...
    For FB89, same.

So .. we only "loose" time on the bosses.. for rewards that arent that good ;) (for the last 2 weeks mold / 3* stars drops in 79 is pretty lame... bosses only drop white materials..... )

• Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    You should ask your wife to hold back on DPS the same way that she would if squading with a barb. Damage Dealers such as wizards or archers soon learn they can't just let loose on bosses and usually wait for the tanker to deal somewhere in between 10%-20% damage (it depends on a number of factors) before starting their full attack routines. To expect even a legendary pet to outperform a barbarian it's a bit of a stretch, so i wouldn't really consider this an aggro holding issue. Notice that even waiting after said period she might not even be capable of going full on. Learning how to avoid taking aggro is an essential skill for DD classes and maybe you're both simply overestimating herc's abilities.
    Edit; just reread some posts and realized you were both playing venos, i had for some reason thought your wife was playing a wizard. My argument sill stands tho.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Have you tried doing the DPS yourself while your wife heals the herc?
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Eorween - Heavens Tear
    Eorween - Heavens Tear Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Im very curious how hard some of your veno hit for with your spells?
    what lvl are you and what spell you use while fighting with your herc.

what lvl are the mobs you hunting.

do you send you pet in for like 5 sec then you start casting ?

since some of you are using like lvl 3 bash..your herc must be bashing for like 3k+ at least no?

wow and some of you 2 shot mobs..dam that herc must be hitting the mob like 3k a hit to hold the mob back..

typical lvl 80's mob i would say at least 20k hp..

*doing some NuMbErs* seem like a lot of things dont add up.

Maybe just me.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well on weaker bosses in say FBs, I do ~ 5-9k depending on spell/element, 10k on earth monsters with ironwood, etc.
    On mobs more my level, I do 7k with ironwood, and 3-5 with venomous. Have 320 mag, and out damage herc if I spam. I have a good system of managing quick kills while maintaining aggro thats only logical in my psychotic head :D
  • Eorween - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Believe or not herc will loose aggro as you lvl more and it is not going to get any better.

Herc physical attack increase per lvl is very small.
    pet master will out damage herc as lvl goes up.
    unless you start putting points into vit, one single spell going to get mobs on you soon.

Currently i have over 80+ vit. i can not start any fight with ironwood if using herc with normal mobs.
    only can use blazing and venom scarab to start. cant not spam like 3x venom

Bash skill is BASE on phy attack.
    any veno that going more toward magic going to have a longer wait before can enter a fight with normal mobs or time between cast gets higher.

Even for TT boss I see archer pull of a herc just regular hits too often.

Currently my herc at bash 5 and hitting mobs around 2700-2900's *bash*
    on any high lvl boss hits like 2200-2300. *bash*
    normal hits around 1500's
    typical archer hits like 3-5k easy with no special attack.
    If they crit like 2-3x better watch it. boss coming for you on next hit.
    that also apply to wizards, or some pure mag veno / clerics.
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    All you tell is from the way YOU play.. not responses .. or ideas , Debates ;)

just stay with hold aggro.. forget about Herc and veno

Lets play alts.. Cleric with BM

Cleric always behind, to heal the tanker, both grouped together !!!

in some areas .. cleric always in the air .. just to keep away from aggros ;)

So the BM takes on a Mob ( any mob you like) hits it, and lowers HP by 20%

The cleric casts one ( either plume, cyclone.. ) and steals the aggro

being in the air, the cleric cant be touched.. so the mobs turns yellow and returns to starting point !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats the use the BM hitting on it ????

thats not what id call stealing aggro, or changing threat...

The mob should= 1st target isnt available ..switch to second.. but instead.. 1st target isnt available .. forget targetS.

(try it if you dont believe ;) thats kinda ridiculous)

wich is the same problems we do have ( or others High DPS dealers)

nobody did answer to :

and i wont accept responses like = this is a game.. dont compare to real life ;) be constructive ;)

• RanSama - Sanctuary
    RanSama - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I used to have the same problem with my attacks stealing aggro when I was killing level 40-something monsters while resolving quests I haven't done, and also for when I was killing in Rook.

This is where Blazing Scarab and Noxious Gas come in. Especially Blazing Scarab, since you don't want to upset more than what you're attacking into coming after you, especially if you have such low vit (I personally have 25 vit, after counting a +6 vit wheel and +3 vit tome, with 1804 HP).

Yes, I just recommended using Blazing Scarab. It allows you to DPS your target while not out-dps'ing your pet, and is incredibly useful for bossing with tanks on the team and passing sparks.
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

Ok, i'll answer it... just tell me if you would "change aggro" if an attack dog was set on you, cuz i'm pretty sure it would become a priority over whatever dude you were fighting with... wasn't this thread about pets? As for herc, if a half naked fat man came at me i think aggro would be the least of my worries, i'd be running.
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Ok, i'll answer it... just tell me if you would "change aggro" if an attack dog was set on you, cuz i'm pretty sure it would become a priority over whatever dude you were fighting with... wasn't this thread about pets? As for herc, if a half naked fat man came at me i think aggro would be the least of my worries, i'd be running.

LOL !!!!

having been in fights .. many many years ago ......

once you ve been fighting with one ppl ... you only wish to finish him.. before going to the next ..even if that one does real hard on you.

• Eorween - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    All you tell is from the way YOU play.. not responses .. or ideas , Debates ;)

just stay with hold aggro.. forget about Herc and veno

Lets play alts.. Cleric with BM

Cleric always behind, to heal the tanker, both grouped together !!!

in some areas .. cleric always in the air .. just to keep away from aggros ;)

So the BM takes on a Mob ( any mob you like) hits it, and lowers HP by 20%

The cleric casts one ( either plume, cyclone.. ) and steals the aggro

being in the air, the cleric cant be touched.. so the mobs turns yellow and returns to starting point !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats the use the BM hitting on it ????

thats not what id call stealing aggro, or changing threat...

The mob should= 1st target isnt available ..switch to second.. but instead.. 1st target isnt available .. forget targetS.

(try it if you dont believe ;) thats kinda ridiculous)

wich is the same problems we do have ( or others High DPS dealers)

nobody did answer to :

and i wont accept responses like = this is a game.. dont compare to real life ;) be constructive ;)

So now we discussing BM and cleric aggro fight strategy ?

or you two just like to say whatever you like and post and say blah blah blah............