Regarding events

Options
Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Dvorak wrote :
Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately lag will always be a problem with this type of event (even though we made sure that the GM's spread out the 100 eggs over a wider area to thin out the crowds).

Truth be told, we're well aware of the 'lag' limitations based on the projected number of people participating as well as environment and NPC elements that affect performance but as is becoming the norm the actual number of players showing up is 50%+ greater then our initial projected turnout. This is not necessarily a good thing because it will slow things down considerably but on the flip side it truly demonstrates how 'active' each server really is.

We hope to schedule more weekend events like this in the future but may have to re-consider our entire events schedule if lag affects the overall performance of the servers.

Happy Easter!

If you know those events are going to cause massive lag, why do you still do them? Is it that hard to think of other ways to implement them?

Exemple that i can think of in 1 minute :

1 - have special level 1 easter mobs spawn randomly on the map for the whole easter day.

2 - modify the drop of mobs so they'll have a chance to drop easter eggs.

3 - modify the content of the "lucky bag" that sometimes drop with other items for easter day.

#2 and 3 should not be too hard to implement for a dev. #1 would probably requires a bit more coding. But if it's done in advance it should not be any trouble to implement.

Net result : no increased lag for anyone, everyone have a chance to get something, no GMs needed to run the event since they would be included in the game code.

Other games can do it, why not PW?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
Post edited by Blancheneige - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    because those kind of events are boring.
    your basically just doing the same stuff you do all the time
    except maybe you'll get an egg
    woohoo? an incentive to grind more?

Events like the easter event are fun
    because they get everyone away from just the daily questing or grinding
    and introduce something different
    plus the added interaction with other players

as for the lag there's not much they can do besides restrict
    the number of people able to participate
    but that'd just suk.

so it's either a fun event with lag
    or a boring event with no lag..
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Events like the easter event are fun.

Youi have a weird definition of fun.

If having a few thousand players running everywhere like headless chickens trying desperately to kill a bunch of rabbits and grabbing something on the floor while lagging like hell doing that is fun for you, it's not for me, and judging from the comments I saw, it's not for the majority.

Want to do a chase the eggs event? Drop them randomly everywhere on the map, not on one little spot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • anaeli
    anaeli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Having lagfest events is like having no event at all if you can't attend due to said lag.

I'd rather have 2 really good events a year than 12 crappy events that I can't go to anyway, because of crappy time limitations or ridiculous amounts of lag. b:bye
  • Arliana - Dreamweaver
    Arliana - Dreamweaver Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    there was an obvious reason as to why they made it 100 only. i think on europe servers they were wraith attack like events.

anyways, they didnt want to crush the economy with the really really high 0.02% drop rate. Think about it. couple it with the duke blacke lucky bonus that may or may not work, depending on if his rumor is correct at the time, and u may have a 0.04% drop rate per egg. doesnt sound like much right? well, if each player has 5 or so eggs... then the economy is dead. there would be at least 30-40 lion mounts and economy and gold prices would get screwed up horribly.
  • Senyo - Heavens Tear
    Senyo - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I agree with you Arliana, but that didn't seem to stop them from messing up the economy with the last event. Beautiful shards were at half the price. Even though it was somewhat welcome, it did mess up the market quite a bit.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Lag wasn't the issue for me. All you gotta do is press ctrl + f9. That automatically makes everything super low. And I can still turn the distances all the way up and get about 40-50 fps in these events.

That was actually the only good thing about the event to me. When I 1st got the the river I saw about 30 ppl killing some rabbits. I was like wow...not as many people as I though are participating. Then the GM came on and spawned more mobs and I saw a HUGE wave of people coming up over the hill. It was crazy lol.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Lag wasn't the issue for me. All you gotta do is press ctrl + f9. That automatically makes everything super low. And I can still turn the distances all the way up and get about 40-50 fps in these events.

That was actually the only good thing about the event to me. When I 1st got the the river I saw about 30 ppl killing some rabbits. I was like wow...not as many people as I though are participating. Then the GM came on and spawned more mobs and I saw a HUGE wave of people coming up over the hill. It was crazy lol.

You're in a new server. Lower population. Character details are are sent from server. When there are enough people, server becomes the bottleneck, and not the computer on your end.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    1st the eggs gave pretty "normal" rewards so WHYYYYYYYYYYY only 100?

2nd why not have the bunnies spawn randomly all over the entire map?
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Youi have a weird definition of fun.

If having a few thousand players running everywhere like headless chickens trying desperately to kill a bunch of rabbits and grabbing something on the floor while lagging like hell doing that is fun for you, it's not for me, and judging from the comments I saw, it's not for the majority.

Want to do a chase the eggs event? Drop them randomly everywhere on the map, not on one little spot.

I actually like Blanche's idea on this one. Lag has been the biggest killer over and over again with these failed events. Doing them across the map would be a much better idea.

Set bunnies across the map, according to the areas mob level. So people of all levels have a chance, and you'll never know where these bunnies might pop up.

Anything would be better than whats been done till now tho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle