Gloom on weapons.

Funkyfatface - Lost City
Funkyfatface - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Blademaster
Can anyone who has used a weapon with Gloom on care to explain what it's like, it says "has a chance to increase physical attack" how much does it increase it and for how long?
Is it the next best thing to Zerk?, i know Zerk is better, is gloom the next best alternative?
Post edited by Funkyfatface - Lost City on

Comments

• Davechapelle - Sanctuary
    Davechapelle - Sanctuary Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i would like to know this too...
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    Wyeth - Heavens Tear Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    for blademasters, berserk is better than gloom, seeing as berserk is mainly a pvp bonus, and if you have a decent pvp build the 5% hp loss won't hurt you due to a generally low hp pool.

gloom is better for barbs, the 5% hp loss from berserk is a ton of hit points off a tank compared to a 5% MP loss....pretty simple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nevlik - Heavens Tear
    Nevlik - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Gloom is ok. If you can't get a beserk weapon, gloom is an ok alternative.
  • XAsch - Sanctuary
    XAsch - Sanctuary Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I lose over 400 HP per zerk activation. =(
    edited April 2009
    so if you get calamity axes you should be prepared to get your hp charms chewed through?
  • Akiratojo - Heavens Tear
    Akiratojo - Heavens Tear Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    About getting them chewed through, not to sure about that one, but you will be getting a higher drain.
    The higher level you are, the higher your HP will, be, and 5% HP off is not that much, but be prepared to waste charms a bit sooner, not too soon, but I would hardly call it noticeable.
    Berserker (i've noticed) doesnt hit often enough for you to suffer real loss, most of the damage will come from other mobs or players for PVP.
    Berserker is, however a killer when you do not have charms, For example, yesterday I was TWing, and my charm ran out, so I was charmless for the final leg of the TW, Berseker was chewing me up good, since my HP was fairly limited in terms of when I die, I respawn, and only have about 300-400/2100HP, so -105HP each hit with berserker was a real downer.

So what I am trying to say is if it takes you say 1 week to waste a charm, yo uwould waste it in 6 days, so it's not that bad, if you are really concerned, just make some life powder, taht should usually keep you safe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    07-Ghost fan
    Warning: This user has bad spelling
  • Lee_Hyori - Sanctuary
    Lee_Hyori - Sanctuary Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Okay, to answer the Original Question: I have a bow with gloom effect.

Now, i'm not exactly sure, but roughly, the % chance to activate is 20% ish. And when it's activated, my dmg gets a 50% boost for like 15 sec. So 100 dmg becomes 150. (Theoretically).

So, say the gloom effect activates, if during the next 15 sec, it activates again, then the 15 sec counter resets basically. So it's hypothetically possible to have an infinite gloom effect if u continue shooting and u always hit that 20% before ur 15 sec is up. Though obviously that doens't happen often.

Edit: forgot to mention, gloom effect is identical to Nimble effect in terms of % chance and interval etc, same concept except nimble raises accuracy.
    edited April 2009
    gloom sounds pretty good...almost as good as berserk
  • DarkOsiris - Lost City
    DarkOsiris - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    id go with gloom or reg hh for solo grinding and xs for pvp and aoeing with a ep seems the best way to go :P
  • bwhxeon1
    bwhxeon1 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I actually started to run really low on cash around lv 79 and ended up selling my XS. I bought a cudgel of ancient allow with 2 sockets and refined it up to +4 and added two acc +80 gems. Grinding hasn't really slowed down at all. The effect saves on my charm and makes aoe grinding just a tad safer now. The gloom effect seems to activate pretty often more so after the first activation for some reason. It adds just a tad less than a single spark. Usually when I pull I use cloud sprint, gather them up aoe stun, spark and then start spamming aoe skills. When the effect goes off its just like using a enhanced spark and my attack is somewhere around the 4k area. This just about doubles my dmg and when it doesn't go off while a spark is active its like having a regular spark on half the time.

Not only is it good for aoe grinding, but most of you who have aoe grinded know that sometimes a monster with enhanced hp is left behind after the others die. Its often faster to just melee at that point than spam skills and the poleaxe attacks faster than dual hatchets. Not saying the gloom weapons are better than berserker axes, but I think compared to anything besides berserker axes they are the next best option.