Chat window blues

Options
Flieyah - Dreamweaver
Flieyah - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Is there a way to disable the key commands or at least make the chat window default?

Reason I ask is everytime I get approached by someone and try to talk to them I find myself running, jumping and opening a bunch of windows instead of talkingb:beatup

Needless to say that can be very emberassing, and can also get you killed when you are in a squad. I don't even want to think of what would happen if I pulled one of those in PVPb:shocked

So is there a way to make the chat window reamain active or "ancored" or do we have to click on it before we say anything?
"What we do is what you just can't do."
b:cool
Post edited by Flieyah - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Batseba - Heavens Tear
    Batseba - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    erm... I think <Enter> would do the trick there, if that's what you're looking for.

Pressing <Enter> automatically activates your chat screen and you can type a message.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    The game client is poorly coded when it comes to isolating mouse and keyboard input. In a well-coded app, mouse and keyboard input is locked into whatever dialog or mode the game is in. Even if a new dialog pops up or the mode changes, focus stays on the same dialog and your mouse and keyboard input are directed there until you finish.

In this game, if you are typing in chat and something happens which requires an update on your screen (a spell you were casting finishes, someone sends you a squad invite, I think even if a mob you were targeting dies, etc.), focus gets set back to the main window. All your keyboard input gets sent to the main window and you end up jumping and opening up lots of dialogs you didn't intend to.

All I can suggest is try not to type into chat when anything that could change the focus of your screen could happen.

It's the same problem that randomly causes you to move or lose equipment in your inventory or stuff you have equipped. If you're doing something with the mouse when you open the inventory screen, you risk having those mouse actions applied to your inventory instead of what you really intended.