Enjoying an FB Run ... avoid high level squad mates?

Options
Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I recently went on my first FB29 run at lvl 37(Veno) with a 30 something Veno friendwho had the Tab. A couple of 70+ players joined our squad, one with a Baby Herc.

Although I never felt in danger, it was no fun at all. The high levels just mowed their way through everything before I could get more than a hit or two on any mob.

Then when we got to the Boss, it took a really long time to take him down, and us two 30 somethings weren't making much of a dent. Then the drops and XP were non-existent.

Two questions:

1) Does the boss's toughness scale up to the level of the highest member?

2) At level 39 or so ... how many other similar or lower level squad mates would it take to do FB 29 in an enjoyable manner?

Fortunately, I still have my FB19 and 29 Tabs so I want to do it right.
Post edited by Viper_girl - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    1. No.
    2. Always do an fb with a full squad. The XP/rep rewards, which are what people run fb's for are the same for all members, regardless of the number, and tabber should always be getting the drops. If you're asking what the minimum is, it depends on your class distribution and how long you're happy to take. A pair of veno's could probably do it fine, just taking a while.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Higher level FB's will be more satisfying to you. There is a point where higher level help can't just blow through them, even though they still make it a bit easier.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    jemima wrote: »
    1. No.
    2. Always do an fb with a full squad. The XP/rep rewards, which are what people run fb's for are the same for all members, regardless of the number, and tabber should always be getting the drops. If you're asking what the minimum is, it depends on your class distribution and how long you're happy to take. A pair of veno's could probably do it fine, just taking a while.

Thanks, for the replies. If this is true then it would make the most sense to have a full squad around your own level if you are the tabber. And/or you are going through for the first time and want to have a bit of fun.

I read somewhere that the likelihood of getting a rare drop is much higher if you don't have a super high level member. Is this true? It makes sense since that is how it works with regular drops in the game.

Later on I guess if the goal is just rep then blasting through with a high level makes sense.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    u should get ppl around 5 lvs above u but they must know their class pretty darn well

and the barb must be vit biuld and the cleric almost pure with maxed heals...
    and cleric/tank should be charmed...
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Seriously? So much planning for a low level FB? I'm a Veno and someone said it would be possible for me and one other Veno my level high 30s to do FB29 ourselves.

Also, another Veno said they soloed FB19 at Lvl 30+.
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=237421

I think I'm going to try soloing FB19 to see how difficult it really is.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well if someone says, I will run your fb now "learn your role and shut your mouth don't attack and damit don't even move unless I tell you to I say jump you say how high now stfu and follow so I can leech t he exp from your fb you nub" then no lolz

but I make my FBs fun because my role In fb is to keep everyone alive, except in fb19 and 29 I dd in those. yup if the tabber wanna fight then I do my job and keep him alive whilst he does so. FB should be fun
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • FionaCattail - Sanctuary
    FionaCattail - Sanctuary Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    jemima wrote: »
    1. No.

actually, you are wrong for #2..

when you are in your 20s, you get 8k or so for doing fb19.. in your 40s, you get 12k.. in your 60s you get 22k, etc... so it's not the same for all people.. and in my opinion, any high level who doesn't let you have all the drops is an idiot..

I went on an fb69 run the other day and there was a mold that dropped, and it was picked up by a barb (the tabber was a cleric), the mold for arcane pants (lvl 70+), and rather than the barb giving the mold to the tabber, they kept them "I need them for my alt character" (who happens to be a lvl 47 cleric).. the fact that the tabber wanted them was irrelevant to them.. the fact that their "alt char" couldn't use them for 25 lvls was also irrelevant.. it was enough to **** a person off big time to see that level of immiturity and lack of thoughtlessness

also, I know that when I do an FB19, I do plow through things, but I also do stuff that most people don't.. i.e. I'll capture one of the premiers, and one of the snarls and give them to the person doing the fb (if it's a veno) because usually they aren't high enough level to capture them yet..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We could all learn a lot from crayons, some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names (like chartreuse), and all are different colors....BUT they ALL exist very nicely in the same box!
  • StellarAshes - Heavens Tear
    StellarAshes - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I read somewhere that the likelihood of getting a rare drop is much higher if you don't have a super high level member. Is this true? It makes sense since that is how it works with regular drops in the game.

Well, yes and no.

No, the level of the players have no effect on what drops are selected (i.e. a white 1* or a super rare mold).

Yes, the level of the players affects whether the boss drops anything (other than coins) at all. So if the players are all within 2 levels of the boss, the boss will ALWAYS drop items. But if the players are 40 levels above the boss, then the boss will drop nothing but coins 80% of the time. So in effect, you do have a higher chance to get rare items with lower level members, but it's important to keep in mind that a team of boss level + 2 will get just as much (and as good in quality, on average) items as a team of boss level - 20.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/drop is a good page to read to learn more about drops.
  • Valeriewun - Sanctuary
    Valeriewun - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/drop is a good page to read to learn more about drops.
    Pwdatabase is not working! b:cry
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Pwdatabase is not working! b:cry

Today, its the first time I notice the webpage is not working. I've been using it everyday since I started playing the game.
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    and in my opinion, any high level who doesn't let you have all the drops is an idiot..

Any tabber who says "all drops goes to me" for fb89+ will see me leave the party. A while back some tabber said that. The barb and dds all left the party.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Seriously? So much planning for a low level FB? I'm a Veno and someone said it would be possible for me and one other Veno my level high 30s to do FB29 ourselves.
    I'm skeptical that two venos in the high 30s could do FB29. Qingzi is really tough, hits almost as hard as the FB39 bosses. And he also has some buff that he occasionally uses which speeds up his attacks.

I tried running FB29 with a L37 veno (arcane build, -3% channel) with L37 golem tanking, and a L63 veno (light build, -6% channel). Both venos did nothing but spam heal while the golem did the damage. 99% of the time just the L63's heals alone could keep the golem healed. But when Qingzi uses that buff, it's all over. Even with both venos spam healing, the L37 golem still died. We tried this a half dozen times - we killed him once, golem died and we had to run the other five times.

If you've got two arcane venos with the L43 heal, a golem with tough, and the veno whose golem is tanking is very observant and fires tough as soon as he sees Qingzi attacking faster, you should be able to pull it off. Another friend and I managed to do it when I was L47 (light build) with L47 golem, and he was L44 (heavy build). It was close, but it makes me think two arcane venos with the L43 heal and tough should be able to do it.
    No, the level of the players have no effect on what drops are selected (i.e. a white 1* or a super rare mold).
    I'm not so sure about this. I used to do FB39 runs pretty regularly for molds. When I was 54 (within 11 levels of the bosses) I got drops about 2/3rds of the time (which matches the pwdatabase table), and a mold about every 3 or 4 runs (I'd clear 2 or 3 bosses per run). When I hit 55 I got more coin drops, but the mold drop seemed about the same.

After I hit 57, I never saw another mold again. One weekend I did nothing but FB39 runs. I killed probably 40 bosses, got drops on about half (pwdatabase says 50% drop rate). Zero molds.

I'm also wondering if there's some sort of anti-farming code in the game too. At the end of that weekend, my last 6 runs produced only coin drops from every boss. Wined, unwined, didn't matter - all coins. That was 14 or 15 consecutive bosses, so the chances of that happening at random is 0.006% to 0.003%.
  • Slashette - Heavens Tear
    Slashette - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i now understand why my second fb19 had no drops!
    i have a veno that did it and a barbarian.
    both times was eh? interesting to watch??? so to speak.
    with my veno the group that formed announced that i and the other low level that was in the group would get the drops that were ment for our characters and they were true to their words.
    on my second fb19 run with the barbarian there were 3 characters above lvl 50 (i think 2 near 70) and i do not remember seeing or reading about any drops! it was all coin unless i missed the reading (it was flying by fairly fast! LOL)
    both runs i was just a vacume picking up the coins (drops) that they left me/us little people .

suggestions for others -
    join a faction that does fb runs where the tabber gets all drops!!!!
    and ask the faction if they can make it fun ! not just where you get to be the vacume!

musings of a learner !
    have fun and hope you get all the best drops!
    PurrDianna veno on heavens tear
    CybrTygr barb (on HT)
    DrDragon arch (on HT)
    SaphireBlush cleric (on HT)
    Slashette blademaster (on HT)
    Aethenia wizzy (on HT)
    Peyenu lil veno for the gathering of plants and mines (on HT)
    SsasAnaks lil veno for making money buy making small weapons (on HT)
  • MiniST - Sanctuary
    MiniST - Sanctuary Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Wow, you ppl are getting so greedy with this all the drops goes to the tabber thing. We're the one's helping u guys with the fbs, not the other way around. Maybe because it's the overabundance of fbs and higher lvls. When I had my fb59, I had to wait to weeks before anyone was even willing to help. I'm willing to give up a drop if someone seriously need it, but other then that the drops should be random.
  • Gogg - Heavens Tear
    Gogg - Heavens Tear Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I think if you are doing an FB with non faction peeps it is always a good idea to inform them of any item distribution plans you might have, would do that for TT as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Wow, you ppl are getting so greedy with this all the drops goes to the tabber thing. We're the one's helping u guys with the fbs, not the other way around. Maybe because it's the overabundance of fbs and higher lvls. When I had my fb59, I had to wait to weeks before anyone was even willing to help. I'm willing to give up a drop if someone seriously need it, but other then that the drops should be random.

Considering the tabber does the wines,and you get rep and exp,damn right tabber should get drops,thats not greed...incase you haven't noticed most players don't have very much money and need any drops,especially if you're not a veno.

I'll go on anyones fb and never ask for a thing,becuase its one of the very rare occasions that tabber might get something worth a damn from this game ;)
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Budika - Sanctuary
    Budika - Sanctuary Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    OK I like some of the responses here.
    if you look at loot drop chart you'll see the % chance to drop vs the level that gets' the kill (final shot).

Still the % is crappy regardless of levels in the squad.

OK so the title is enjoying an FB run....

Well this depends on what you find enjoyable.. Do you find going trough an FB in less then an hour enjoyable so you can get back to questing/grinding.

Or do you find dying alot of times because the people with you are around your level just so you get a 15% better chance of better gear drops... (Yeah I heard about a group who took 6 hours to do an FB39 because the highest guy in it was a 45'ish... all were in their early 40's tabber 39 of course. If 2-6 hours for a dungeon sounds good to you then by all means get a bunch of newbs to do your FB's. still got a low chance of getting molds to drop. Now if you want to optimize the speed 20 level limit is what'd you'd use. So FB19 (lvl 40's), FB29, (LVL 50), FB39 (60), FB51 (LVL 71ish) etc... that'd optimize the drops while making the FB fast.
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    haha i did my first fb39 with 6 39s and it took a really really long time... it probably took 3 hours or so.. but we afk'd a couple times cause it was taking so long ... 6 hours is ridiculous for a fb39 even at the proper level

it has never been necessary for high levels to run fbs.. it all depends on what you enjoy

and on the topic of molds going to tabber.. that is just something that should be agreed on before the run and its not greed to want a mold that you have need for to go to you.. you are providing the tabs that are giving the person exp.. thats the only reason that person is coming along.. if you want the molds so bad go run an untabbed fb... thats what i had to do to get my misty ring

also if you call a lvl 19 greedy for wanting molds that a lvl 9X would have absolutely no use for.. you are just nuts

and mini i just have to laugh at you saying that you are "helping" them... they are helping you more than anything ... if there wasn't any exp or rep in it for you.. would you still be "helping"?
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    lol a level 93 wants a level 19 mold
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I've run a FB29 with my alt char of 30+ and with few squad members little over 29 and few under 29. It was possible to pull it off successfully (HP charm) BUT...
    It took alltogether something like 1,5 hours because before attacking each group of mobs I had to stop then type into the chat what are we facing what they do and what they shouldn't try. then lay members out into the positions- you take this mob you take the other and then attack. after a battle move to the next set of mobs and repeat the procedure.

I doubt many want to waste that many time on dungeons especially on the FB29 that could be done in 10-15 minutes. Even I would decline invite to run another FB like that right now unless given a very good reason.
  • Buffer - Dreamweaver
    Buffer - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

Seriously? I always looked at it the other way around. I never got help, I was helping out the higher levels by giving them exp for an easy job. Now when I help run FB19s and 29s, I make sure to thank the tabber every time. If it wasn't for the tabber, I wouldn't be getting that easy exp and rep. I could care less about the drops.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Seriously? I always looked at it the other way around. I never got help, I was helping out the higher levels by giving them exp for an easy job. Now when I help run FB19s and 29s, I make sure to thank the tabber every time. If it wasn't for the tabber, I wouldn't be getting that easy exp and rep. I could care less about the drops.

How is it that you are helping someone that is helping you complete your quest? It makes no sense......

YOU are the one that needs help, and have asked for it, or those HIGH levels would never know about your little FB. The least you should do is offer to pay for their gear repairs. If they are that much higher, drops are irrelevant, since nobody will get any.

Lets put it in perspective. I can kill a mob my level every 5 seconds and get around 400 exp. If I pick a Army of One quest I will get 1 Rep for every 40 mobs I kills. That means I can get 4800 exp per minute (12 kills). Every 4 minutes I can turn in my army quest and get 1 Rep, so for the 15 minutes it would take to run a fast FB I can make 3-4 Rep and make 36000 exp, in addition I will get drops so that means at least 30-50k in coins. (this is if I take it slow)

That means High levels are far better off grinding that helping you if you looking at the exp they can make. On the Rep side, it is only 1-2 rep difference comparing to grinding.

The numbers change alot once you talking about FBs over level 60, than you pretty much make more exp for sure running the FB and way more drops.

So, if you need help running a low level FB, remember, the high levels helping could make the same or more just by grinding, so they are in fact, sacrificing their exp gaining to help you.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    edit: was thinking justice quest...

but one man armys increase in number of mobs as you level up

also even if you don't think they are helping you.. you aren't helping them either

you wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the exp/rep (most likely).. go run some untabbed runs and then you can say you are helping
    edited April 2009
    Options
    edit: was thinking justice quest...

but one man armys increase in number of mobs as you level up

also even if you don't think they are helping you.. you aren't helping them either

you wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the exp/rep (most likely).. go run some untabbed runs and then you can say you are helping

They are the ones that asked for help, therefore you are helping them. That simple.
    Even if you get something out of it, they are the ones that asked you to help them...... As I stated earlier, its not like you can join a group if they dont invite you to join.. and how would you know of the FB if they had not asked you to help them?

And why would I run a untab low level FB when nobody will get any drops? seriously.... I help with all the bosses I can solo, the FB is really no different, you go there just to kill a few bosses and help someone.

This game is designed so low levels have to ask for help, or wait a long time before they can finish all the quests. You cannot tell me that you are supposed to solo Jewel or Krimson or Manta when you get those quests...... And in those cases, how are the low levels helping high levels when the high elvels kill those bosses for them? Do the low levels ever offered to pay for their repair bill and for the pots/charm used when they kill those bosses for them?
    Someone used up their stuff to help the low levels finish a quest where they get nothing out of it, and nobody offers to pay for their costs?
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    haha this game isn't about soloing .. even though you are a veno and can solo most things..

the stuff is meant to be done by people around that level..

how do you know about it ? uh i dunno about you or your server.. but there are TONS of shouts saying "doing your fbXX" .. thats how people find the FBs.. not random people coming up to you asking for help.. people advertise themselves for the exp

and i never mentioned anything about just low level FBs.. this is about FBs in general

the game isn't designed for people to beg for help .. its designed for people to cooperate with people their level

and this is about FBs.. not mantavip or krimson or jewel.. of course doing this is helping.. but its so much harder to find people willing to help with these because they get nothing in return

when i help someone i don't ask for my costs to be paid.. i tank TTs all the time .. a cleric and barb will inherently have way more cost than anyone else participating.. i don't ask people to pay for my repairs or charm burn.. or a larger drop share..
    edited April 2009
    Options
    haha this game isn't about soloing .. even though you are a veno and can solo most things..
    the stuff is meant to be done by people around that level..
    how do you know about it ? uh i dunno about you or your server.. but there are TONS of shouts saying "doing your fbXX" .. thats how people find the FBs.. not random people coming up to you asking for help.. people advertise themselves for the exp
    and i never mentioned anything about just low level FBs.. this is about FBs in general
    the game isn't designed for people to beg for help .. its designed for people to cooperate with people their level
    and this is about FBs.. not mantavip or krimson or jewel.. of course doing this is helping.. but its so much harder to find people willing to help with these because they get nothing in return
    when i help someone i don't ask for my costs to be paid.. i tank TTs all the time .. a cleric and barb will inherently have way more cost than anyone else participating.. i don't ask people to pay for my repairs or charm burn.. or a larger drop share..

The title of the post is "Enjoying an FB Run ... avoid high level squad mates?" Therefore it is stating that the people helping are much higher level than the tabber, or it would say "avoid same level/lower level squad"

I only brought up the non-FB bosses to make a point. People say that the right thing to do in FBs is for the tabber to keep the drops, since the people helping also get sometihng from helping them. Well, the right thing for the low levels to do is to offer to pay for the costs of the people helping them with the non-FB bosses, however I am sure you never see that happening.... Even though it is the right thing to do.

I run alot of TTs with my guild, and I always offer to help pay for the repair bill of the tank, and I always make apoc mana pots and the 100 mana regen pots for the clerics.

If anyone ever offered to pay for my costs when I help them on a boss, I would decline, however, it has never happened....
  • Samalsan - Sanctuary
    Samalsan - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Some 1 here said U cannt get drops when u lv higher than FB > 20lv. This's totally wrong. I'm lv 75 Veno. I soloed FB19 ;29 2 day ago with no tabs. For FB19 I got 1 mold ; 1- 3 star stuff and lots of others; FB29 no mold but got 1-3star and writ drop.
  • sage0nemage
    sage0nemage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Icejazmin > hello
  • slutmonkey
    slutmonkey Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    They are the ones that asked for help, therefore you are helping them. That simple.
    Even if you get something out of it, they are the ones that asked you to help them...... As I stated earlier, its not like you can join a group if they dont invite you to join.. and how would you know of the FB if they had not asked you to help them?

And why would I run a untab low level FB when nobody will get any drops? seriously.... I help with all the bosses I can solo, the FB is really no different, you go there just to kill a few bosses and help someone.

This game is designed so low levels have to ask for help, or wait a long time before they can finish all the quests. You cannot tell me that you are supposed to solo Jewel or Krimson or Manta when you get those quests...... And in those cases, how are the low levels helping high levels when the high elvels kill those bosses for them? Do the low levels ever offered to pay for their repair bill and for the pots/charm used when they kill those bosses for them?
    Someone used up their stuff to help the low levels finish a quest where they get nothing out of it, and nobody offers to pay for their costs?

You have got it all backwards. Almost always it is the high levels spaming world chat desperately searching for people that want help. Yes they need help because it is convenient to run with a higher group. I have never asked for help, I have always picked out of a group of like 5 people spaming WC or even more people spamming West Arch offering to run people.

If someone does ask for help, and you want to have the privlige of joining the FB run you better be quick because it will fill up in about 1 second.

In my faction people fight over who gets to take who on FB LOL, friendly fighting mind you, we have a bit of a roster almost cause EVERYONE wants to do it.

Why???? Very simple, the XP is very good for such a quick run. And the rep is very good. Think about it, you pay 100k for a 5 rep tag, you pay nothing to run a FB.

You don't have to ask for help. You can form a group and defeat most boss and dungeon without high levels. There are exceptions and some of the runs can take 3 times longer. Kong and eyes .. so tuff.
    edited April 2009
    Options
    slutmonkey wrote: »
    You have got it all backwards. Almost always it is the high levels spaming world chat desperately searching for people that want help. Yes they need help because it is convenient to run with a higher group. I have never asked for help, I have always picked out of a group of like 5 people spaming WC or even more people spamming West Arch offering to run people.

If someone does ask for help, and you want to have the privlige of joining the FB run you better be quick because it will fill up in about 1 second.

In my faction people fight over who gets to take who on FB LOL, friendly fighting mind you, we have a bit of a roster almost cause EVERYONE wants to do it.

Why???? Very simple, the XP is very good for such a quick run. And the rep is very good. Think about it, you pay 100k for a 5 rep tag, you pay nothing to run a FB.

You don't have to ask for help. You can form a group and defeat most boss and dungeon without high levels. There are exceptions and some of the runs can take 3 times longer. Kong and eyes .. so tuff.

It is called advertising, not begging. Also, you can make far more by grinding than from running low level FBs, and that is assuming everything goes right with the FB and everyone is ready to go.

Why do people want to do low level FBs? I have no idea.... But I would assume is for a change from grinding, or they want you to remember them when you have to do high level ones, where it is actualy profitable. You can make far more exp and gold grinding than you can running low level FBs, and you can make similar rep by running army of one quests and selecting the right mobs (closest ones so you dont have to travel).

I will help anyone with their FBs if they ask me, the same way I help people with Bosses. But it is far more profitable for me to grind, run the cube or run TT than it is to run low level FBs.

Also, remember, you do not have to have high level players help you, worst case you cannot complete the quest and you will have to level some more before going back to it. Ultimaly, inviting high level players to do your FB for you is asking them to help you run the FB in a time effective way and as soon as you get it, not having to wait a few levels or take hours to complete.