Heavy Armour & Arcane Gear?

xmidknight
xmidknight Posts: 12 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Wizard
Ok.. Im new here and started yesterday. I copmpleted the quest where you get to pick the heavy armour or arcane. I noticed the heavy armour pre-requisted were low and the phys. def was higher than the arcane.
Im guessing the pre-requisted for str will rise as they quality rises.

But is arcane better than heavy for a wiz?
Im a little confused.
Help appreciated.
Thanks ~.
Post edited by xmidknight on

Comments

• Wildstar - Harshlands
    Wildstar - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The strength and dexterity requirements for Heavy armor make it completely pointless for a wizard. But for the first choice between heavy and light from the quest, pick heavy. That heavy armor has no requirements I think and it makes sense to pick it. But from then on, wear either arcane robes or if you really want extra protection, light armor(which is medium between heavy and arcane).

Character builds(points every 2 levels)

Arcane Robes(Pure): 1 strength 9 intelligence
    Arcane Robes(Extra Health): 1 strength, 1-2 vitality, 7-8 intelligence(your choice how much....)
    Light Armor(Pure Only!): 2 strength, 2 dexterity, 6 intelligence

Basically, I'd suggest either pure Robes or Light Armor depending on what you want to do. Wizard's only gain 10 health from each vitality level making pretty much a waste of points to use but some people like it.

Light Armor is considered better for PvP(although I prefer robes) but Arcane is considered better for PvE(killing monsters and leveling).
  • RoGz - Lost City
    RoGz - Lost City Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i am arcane and used the so call hybrid build until 60 2vit3mag every lvl unless eqiupment reuirments demanded different and i think it helped me alot the lower lvls PVE..but this method will require a reset at around lvl 60..it worked for me..
  • sillyfoo
    sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i am arcane and used the so call hybrid build until 60 2vit3mag every lvl unless eqiupment reuirments demanded different and i think it helped me alot the lower lvls PVE..but this method will require a reset at around lvl 60..it worked for me..

Ok in another post(pro and cons of wizard) u said u were light armor b4 60 but in this post u say u were vit mage. Did u try both b4 60? Am i missing something?
  • Wildstar - Harshlands
    Wildstar - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    @RoGz

Have you tried a pure intell build below level 60 to compare it? I've heard from another lvl 80+ wizard that was largely hybrid and they regretted it later on and ended up trying to go as pure as possible.

Personally, I love being able to grind without hp pots and just depend on my healing spells. A hybrid build just seems to me to be more expensive pot-wise and deals less damage.

Don't know though. The only arguments I see on here are between Robes and Light Armor and I've never found any discussion about hybrid vs. pure build. On paper it looks like pure should be better than Hybrid because of only 10 hp per vitality but I've never seen any actual info on it.
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I used Pandora's guide to craft my Wiz, the section below pretty much threw the light armor build over the top for me and so thats what I'm using.

~Light Armor~

This is the secondary build, which can save your **** in PVP. While the bonus from con is minimal, mages are able to build themselves to equip light armor and this is especially effective on them because of Earth Barrier's huge pdef modifier. Keep in mind that you will hit for significantly less damage (UPDATE: Actually, a full int guild member of the same level and I tested our damage on the same target, using the same gear, and he hit for 200 more sandstorm than me. 2900 vs 3100 average. Since then, most of our full int have restatted light armor...), however, you will be able to take a lot of hits. With proper use of blink, the only way to really die on a light mage is to be chain stunned. You will crit significantly more than full int and every sandstorm crit on an archer is a oneshot, so keep that in mind. This is the build I use.

As a light mage, you have all the pdef you need. It's a good idea to pick either your necklace or your belt, and make one of them pdef based, and the other one magic defense based. Then, when picking armor, you're looking for +hp modifiers (NOT +PDEF, YOU HAVE PLENTY AND MORE SUFFERS FROM DIMINISHING RETURNS) and +hp stones. I cannot stress enough that +hp is infinitely better than +pdef for you.

To follow a light build, your STR and DEX must be your level +4, and 3 int every level. If you put stats in any way other than this you will not have enough int to equip your level's weapon, or enough str/dex to equip your level's armor. It is not possible to equip everything your level and put con on in a light armor build.

Update: The HH90 green light set makes light mages basically impossible to kill. A 9X Conquerer archer with a +4 HH90 bow described fighting me today as "like fighting a warrior that can actually kill me." Robes do roughly the same damage but drop dead fast as hell. I am fully confident now that light armor is the way to go.
  • RoGz - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    sillyfoo wrote: »
    Ok in another post(pro and cons of wizard) u said u were light armor b4 60 but in this post u say u were vit mage. Did u try both b4 60? Am i missing something?

yup ur quite right i have tried both but the same day i reset for LA i reset back that night to arc i wasnt impressed at all .i done that at lvl 40 after reading pandoras thread on LA..
  • sillyfoo
    sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yup ur quite right i have tried both but the same day i reset for LA i reset back that night to arc i wasnt impressed at all .i done that at lvl 40 after reading pandoras thread on LA..

Yeah i just tried it out on my alt wiz and la is nice for physcal def but i restated back to arcane and i do 100 more damage per skill under lvl 40 btw. For light armor i dont get how missing out on 134 magic points at lvl 90 gonna only equal 200 damage? Am i the only one who thinks this is wierd o.o . Now im not calling Pandora a liar im just wondering if anyones restated that high and says their damage is only 200 better?

edit - Yes i know crit ratio is higher for LA by 5% (given same crit accesories, etc) at lvl 100
  • RoGz - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    crit means nothin at 5% really , so in theory every 100 casts 5 of them gonna be crits..to me thats just as **** as my 2% lol
This discussion has been closed.