Squad Members Without Charms

vampirenite
vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
I get invites all the time to squad and more often than not they are from players without HP and Mana charms.

It can be a little "irritating" to be grinding the Quest mob nonstop because I do have the Charms while the other squad member(s) take frequent time outs to med.

I'm am talking about 20s-30s lvl players here. IMHO the $1.60 for the 2 Bronze charms is well spent at these levels, since they took me all the way to 30+ before needing replacement. Also once you get into the 20s the increased speed of grinding and dragon quest drops alone easily pay for in game purchase of charms if they don't want to use real money.

I'm wondering if other players have similar opinions and players that don't buy charms ... why? I can understand how it can get ridiculously pricely at higher levels with Zhen parties etc. but at lower levels it is totally worth it.

I am asking this because I hate turning down squad invites to someone who asks nicely... but when they are medding all the time ... uggggggh!
Post edited by vampirenite on

Comments

• Ceaseer - Heavens Tear
    Ceaseer - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    if they dont have charms they should be using potions. i also get aggravated when they are meditating after evry 3 kills. i would be better going solo at that rate.

i dont use charms, but instead the apoth items that reguvenate hp/mp
  • Sarugami - Sanctuary
    Sarugami - Sanctuary Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    To me charms are not worth it yet at my level. Currently I'm buying and saving up all the cheap gold charms i can find for future uses. I can survive just fine by potions and be careful when fighting hard mobs.

About the meditating while in a pt doing quest...just do the same when you see the other person meditating (save charms for emergency). Either that or just tell them nicely that you're grinding and not questing..they usually leave you alone after.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Most people don't realise this but actually buying the charm packs with ingame money instead of using pots all the time is the cheaper option if you don't have real money to spend. I currently play a cleric and while I used to pot up to a certain time I am now always on goldcharms. I have never paid more then 300k ingame for it yet and 900,000 MP? Do the maths guys with the pots - charmpacks it is cheaper. I don't need the HP charms at this point as I can always heal myself. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Suiryujin - Sanctuary
    Suiryujin - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    even before charmpacks came out, gold mana charm is cheaper than mana pots. 400-450k for 900k mana restored over 2mp/coin ratio is something u dont get usually(other than the recent sesame yuanxiao that is >.>)
    My body is made of swords.
    Iron is my blood, and glass is my heart.
    I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated,
    Without once retreating,
    Nor once being understood.
    Always alone, intoxicated with victory on the hill of swords.
    Therefore, there is no meaning to that life.
    Perhaps this body is nothing but a sword itself.
  • Ceaseer - Heavens Tear
    Ceaseer - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    the event jiaozi items have made it extremely cheap! i seen them going for 100-200 coin each. no one better be meditating now, LOL
  • Sarugami - Sanctuary
    Sarugami - Sanctuary Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Most people don't realise this but actually buying the charm packs with ingame money instead of using pots all the time is the cheaper option if you don't have real money to spend. I currently play a cleric and while I used to pot up to a certain time I am now always on goldcharms. I have never paid more then 300k ingame for it yet and 900,000 MP? Do the maths guys with the pots - charmpacks it is cheaper. I don't need the HP charms at this point as I can always heal myself. b:pleased

What you said is true only if you buy pots. I rarely use hp pots due to diamond sutra...only use it during emergency. As for mp pots I use the very cheap kind since i have very little mana. Also the hp/mp pots....I picked up a lot through mobs and I stock them up in my bank. Currently I have around:

-Around 90s (small mystery potions)
    -200 of each (medium, large mystery potions)
    -50s (medium hp)
    -300 (large hp)

So I don't think I will run out of pots soon...beside that I also use stuff from apoc manufacture. I'm a pack ratb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    So basically you're saying that it's either dumb or inconsiderate to go grinding without a charm... hmm...
    Yea, i see your point, its not like it's expensive at all to upgrade gears or skills, and God knows players of your caliber shouldn't have to put up with the likes of noob clerics who may have decided to spend money upgrading their res or their 1 hour buffs, or those weak BMs that actually invest on their draw aggro skill on the off chance it might actually be useful when running an instance. And please don't get me started on those cheap barbs, i mean, it's not like they have to deal with repair bills coming close to 100k a day.
    You see, it's really easy to make a post trying to look all pro by complaining about something that you know it's difficult for some players to do, most of all when you know enough trolls will jump in your bandwagon to make it hard for someone to express an oposing view. FYI Most people make most of their coins grinding, many like to spend as little as possible while doing so, sometimes that even includes people who use the cash shop.
    Guess what? I can do it too.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The topic starter is talking about people meditating in parties. I think thats VERY inconsiderate. Go pk them. O_o

-edit- Actually I read the first post wrong. I saw the phrase "zhen party" and thought thats what he meant. I was thinking people of in aoe parties taking breaks to meditate. But just normal questing parties it's not really inconsiderate to meditate every once in a while.

I'm kinda tired atm. =/
    edited March 2009
    I'm a veno. I don't need charms to grind at all cuz nature's grace, metabollic boost and soul transfussion can keep me going forever. What annoys me is people with a charm, they're so much worse than people who meditate...
    the ones wearing MP charms take forever to kill a mob cuz they're too afraid their charms will tick to actually use their skills, and the ones with HP hieros spend all of their time hiding behind my pet. QQ poor me, i'm so pro...

My point is a lot of players get most of their income from grinding, to put some of them down cuz they may ocasionally take a break to meditate is arrogant, it shows you don't sympathize with people who may be broke ingame. Yes I'm sure no one else posting in this thread has ever ran out of coin.
    edited March 2009
    The topic starter is talking about people meditating in parties. I think thats VERY inconsiderate. Go pk them. O_o

And no, the OP was asking why would anyone waste their money on pots when charms are so much cheaper. More often than not people who meditate do it to enhance the effect of their pots.
  • Ownt - Lost City
    Ownt - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    So basically you're saying that it's either dumb or inconsiderate to go grinding without a charm... hmm...
    Yea, i see your point, its not like it's expensive at all to upgrade gears or skills, and God knows players of your caliber shouldn't have to put up with the likes of noob clerics who may have decided to spend money upgrading their res or their 1 hour buffs, or those weak BMs that actually invest on their draw aggro skill on the off chance it might actually be useful when running an instance. And please don't get me started on those cheap barbs, i mean, it's not like they have to deal with repair bills coming close to 100k a day.
    You see, it's really easy to make a post trying to look all pro by complaining about something that you know it's difficult for some players to do, most of all when you know enough trolls will jump in your bandwagon to make it hard for someone to express an oposing view. FYI Most people make most of their coins grinding, many like to spend as little as possible while doing so, sometimes that even includes people who use the cash shop.

Barbs at level 30 have 100k repairs? Really.
  • Kamikiri - Lost City
    Kamikiri - Lost City Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    LMAO...

Barbs dont tank much of anything at 30 or even 40....
    and Repair costs for a 70-80 barb is 30-60k depending on how many bosses and how long it takes. HH 1-2 high mode with alot of bosses is costly, and a FB run w/ enough DQ drops gets the bill paid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಙೆ_ಙೆ Rage sauce face, it's my expression everytime you necro a thread. ~Made by Konariraiden!
    edited March 2009
    Barbs at level 30 have 100k repairs? Really.

They probably do if they're making enough to buy charms at that level.
  • Ownt - Lost City
    Ownt - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    They probably do if they're making enough to buy charms at that level.

I had over 80k at level 30 on my barb. (cost a a bronze charm)

Or that's 80 cents.
    edited March 2009
    I had over 80k at level 30 on my barb. (cost a a bronze charm)

Or that's 80 cents.

Wow! 80k! I'm so proven wrong... cuz we all know you save as much buying bronze charms as you do buying gold. What was i thinking? Guess i was just hustled by all those barbs asking me to chip in for repairs at the end of runs...

I'm so sorry i couldn't adequately convey my point in the OPs lowbie terms, i mean it's not like thread is titled "Squad Members Without Charms" (BTW loving all those capital letters!) how could i miss the idea that this could all be solved by discussing barbs' repair bills. You're so right! They're the money making class! In fact i'm going to roll a barb just now so i can fund my veno. Thank you so much for proving to me the error of my ways. Barbs are rich and people who grind without charms are inconsiderate noobs. QQ i'm so pro i'm even noble.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I can't say I necessarily advocate forcing everyone to use charms or not, as they ARE helpful but not everyone can afford having one on all the time. However, no one really forced you to party with that cleric who keeps sitting for MP, so if it irritates you, I don't think he'll mind if you politely back out of the party. If he does mind, it's his problem and just boot him from party anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • angellicdeity
    angellicdeity Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    All these posts are rediculously biased.

Here is the situation the common player finds themselves in:

Soloing. Knowing they dont have a charm or potions they solo/quest or whatever they may do by themselves.

Suddenly, some guy wants the same monsters, perhaps for the same quest? They party because it is mutually beneficial because they dont have to compete for monsters.

Suddenly, a third guy appears, joins the party for the same reason.

During long quests such as the quests with the rediculous drop rate on that 1 lone item needing to be collected - the person(s) who intended to solo and rest because they knew they didn't have potions, nevermind a charm, now rest!

It's soo easy to get caught up with your biased views on how everyone should play.

Have you guys ever stopped to realize that some of the people who choose to solo, solo because they can rest and not affect anyone else?

Luckily, I can afford to use a charm - pretty much needed HP-wise. But when I party people out of the blue (hard to do in barren areas anyways...) without them asking for one - I have to be mindful that they are solo'ing a quest for a reason.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    it really depends on what you are-veno,cleric,barb,etc, as to how long an HP charm will last (as well as how well you play/risks you take). with my venos, a charm lasted so long, but with my cleric, even with pots, a bronze disappeared in a day, even with her hunting mobs below her level, and using shields and all. charms are a fantastic thing, and i love them, but it would be nice if it could be geared to the kind of use of each race/class. perhaps that way, they wouldnt run out too fast.

just a thought...

I get invites all the time to squad and more often than not they are from players without HP and Mana charms.

It can be a little "irritating" to be grinding the Quest mob nonstop because I do have the Charms while the other squad member(s) take frequent time outs to med.

I'm am talking about 20s-30s lvl players here. IMHO the $1.60 for the 2 Bronze charms is well spent at these levels, since they took me all the way to 30+ before needing replacement. Also once you get into the 20s the increased speed of grinding and dragon quest drops alone easily pay for in game purchase of charms if they don't want to use real money.

I'm wondering if other players have similar opinions and players that don't buy charms ... why? I can understand how it can get ridiculously pricely at higher levels with Zhen parties etc. but at lower levels it is totally worth it.

I am asking this because I hate turning down squad invites to someone who asks nicely... but when they are medding all the time ... uggggggh!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If you don't want to party with them then don't. No one's forcing you to party with people without charms.

And the cheaper out of pots and charms depends on the level of the pot and charm.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009

If you're getting irritated by people not playing the game how you are playing the game, then the problem isn't them, it's you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    All these posts are rediculously biased.

Here is the situation the common player finds themselves in:

Soloing. Knowing they dont have a charm or potions they solo/quest or whatever they may do by themselves.

Suddenly, some guy wants the same monsters, perhaps for the same quest? They party because it is mutually beneficial because they dont have to compete for monsters.

Suddenly, a third guy appears, joins the party for the same reason.

During long quests such as the quests with the rediculous drop rate on that 1 lone item needing to be collected - the person(s) who intended to solo and rest because they knew they didn't have potions, nevermind a charm, now rest!

It's soo easy to get caught up with your biased views on how everyone should play.

Have you guys ever stopped to realize that some of the people who choose to solo, solo because they can rest and not affect anyone else?

Luckily, I can afford to use a charm - pretty much needed HP-wise. But when I party people out of the blue (hard to do in barren areas anyways...) without them asking for one - I have to be mindful that they are solo'ing a quest for a reason.
    I don't think you read all the posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Cheaper out of pots and charms is pots.

Pots drop from monsters and you don't have to have ever used a single coin to get pots. Only way to get charms is to pay for them or be given one from someone else (not counting those quest charms for jumping/flying a bit).

That aside, angellicdeity's post pretty much hit the nail on the head. Most, especially at that level, are going around with the intention of doing things solo and thus, can afford to take breaks and not use charms. It's just thatits easy enough to go from solo, to a 2-man squad, to a full squad depending on when and what your fighting.
    edited March 2009
    Finally, common sense seems to have taken over this thread. I don't think at lvl 30 it even makes much sense to use a charm... but that's personal opinion. You can't ask 1st time players to know any better, as they're still at the process of discovering the game. As for more seasoned people they won't stick around long... Any reasonably experienced player will make it past 30 in under a week unless holding themselves back for whatever reason (leveling at the same pace as a group of friends, etc) or clocking few play hours. I think there were people at 30 already the second day the new servers opened. It wouldn't be worth it to me to spend money on any kind of charms unless i was playing a wizzy or a cleric.

But showing what it seemed to me to be contempt for people who just have diferent playing styles was what incensed me when i read this thread. I'm not saying we should all hold hands and play nice, but at least we should treat each other with the courtesy one extends to colleagues.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I disagree on forcing anyone to use charms. Maybe when doing hi lvl FBs or TT runs perhaps, but not until then. I never used a charm (even the jump quest one) until I hit 50.

Yes charms are nice to have and they do come in pretty handy. BUT we need to remember that not everybody plays the game the same way.
    Some want to breeze right through the mobs slashing everything in their path and level quickly. And thats fine. But they cant expect everyone to want to do the same. People also have fun trying to play the game as efficiently as possible, i.e. least wastage, most saving. To them getting a level quickly isn't the objective. Enjoying the game is a personal experience and everyone will do it differently.

Additionally I'd like to add that not everyone in PWI is playing from the US. $1.6 is peanuts to most, but not to all. Exchange rates matter too.

In short, everyone has a right to do things 'their' way. In cases where a party ends up with such differences, its best to agree to disagree and go your separate ways.
    b:bye
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited March 2009

I b:heart you Rosa!

To OP..
    i dunno how everyone else plays this game, but i never used a charm hp or mp on any of my characters. Never needed really, just spent my money on great gears, instead of gold, i hardly take dmg because of it and its very very very very rare that i ever die..3 times in 60 lvls? my guess (this goes for my wiz and cleric as well, my veno dont count as much..they dont need pots or charms really) I solo mostly all the time and usually decline any zhen or TT requests.
    If using charms is the way you play, thats great... just dont act like its the only way.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • bzbee
    bzbee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I couldn't even afford my skills at that level, let alone charms. b:sad

I used only the pots that I picked off kills.

I usually solo but when I do party, whether or not a person uses charm is really not a consideration.

When I party someone who rests instead of using pots, I just ask them to use pots and if they say they don't have any, I'ld give an excuse and leave the party. If I have a surplus of pots, I often share them depending on my mood.

b:chuckle
    Phoenix plume count: 2450 b:sad

I want the phoenix because I think its pretty. b:cute
  • Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I do not use charms because they are too expensive and not worth it. + I would burn through them helping people from time to time when I did not want to lose them. I just use pots I pick up or the ones I make as An Apothecary for the most part but I may have to med every now and then to save money.

However, if someone NEEDED to med a lot I would just take that time to let my own MP/HP recharge I would only be annoyed if they did not warn in advance that they would need frequent time outs so I do not get caught without help.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    I do not use charms because they are too expensive and not worth it. + I would burn through them helping people from time to time when I did not want to lose them. I just use pots I pick up or the ones I make as An Apothecary for the most part but I may have to med every now and then to save money.

However, if someone NEEDED to med a lot I would just take that time to let my own MP/HP recharge I would only be annoyed if they did not warn in advance that they would need frequent time outs so I do not get caught without help.

Yes I find that as a veno it's easier to use regen items and use your transfuse/healing skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • DevilCrys - Heavens Tear
    DevilCrys - Heavens Tear Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Stop squading and solo quests..More xp per quest.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I usually only use potions under emergencies (i.e. while in an actual fight). Outside of a fight, I rarely use potions; instead, I meditate. Thus, in between mobs, if my HP/MP is low, I meditate.

That is the cheapest way to fight, I think. I also had too many potions laying around.

I only bought a charm once because I was told it is necessary for a Rebirth Order instance. I never bought normal potions, either.

I never knew meditating while in a squad was considered rude. I certainly would not consider it discourteous if my squadmate needed a rest.

I must have been a very impolite squadmate.