Is Barbarian the best class for solo grind?

dabrozwadowski
dabrozwadowski Posts: 25 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Barbarian
Hi.

As the title says: Is Barbarian the best class for solo grind?

They have good HP and quite nice dmg imo...

I don't know which class to choose if I want to focus on solo grind...

Is Barb a good choice? Maybe other class gets better/faster solo exp?

Plz help
Post edited by dabrozwadowski on

Comments

• Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well, a lot depends on your build. My barb (full tank build always in tiger) doesn't have problems with any mobs, but my damage is really low so killing takes a lot of time. Grinding in tiger is slow, but I don't use pots. For better grinding, you'll probably use humanoide form more to increase your damage. However, you'll need more pots.

If you really want a good class for solo grind, take a venomancer. They have a pet, which gives them some advantages in grinding. They hardly have any repair costs compared to melee classes. They kill rather fast, in humanoide and fox. And they can solo almost everything.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Venos are the best class for solo grind. Barbarian is about the worst class for solo grinding (I know, I do solo grind b:cry)

Barbs have high pdef and hp, but very low damage. Early on (upto the 30s) the barbarian damage is acceptable, but after that the differences really start showing. Even in humanoid form, my damage is less than 1/2 that of other classes (same level).

Also past level 50 almost every mob is a magical caster, and barbs have very low mdef. So grinding slows down. You cant take on 4 mobs at once anymore. You need to be careful and kill them one by one, and your poor damage output makes it last even longer.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Barbs don't solo grind they AoE grind.

by now you are confused but I saw a barbarian hit and running with slam, about 15 mobs at a time, looks effective.

But by solo grind think you ment not in squad but.. anyway LOOK infomation! *runs away*
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • dabrozwadowski
    edited March 2009
    Damn... I'm confused now...

I've played on delphi as venomancer... I did my best to get 70lvl...

Veno is nice till 60, but after that... Imho they lack in killing speed comapred to others...

I know that barbarians do not do high dmg, but they can easly step into group of mobs and they won't be killed.

I remember that Archers were killing super fast on lvls 60-70...

But aren't they too fragile?

I'm trying blademaster now... Imho he's kinda weak...
    Maybe he's doing a lil' bit more dmg than barbarian does, but he lacks HP!
    In my opinion Barb would grind faster cuz he doesn't have to worry about groups of mobs...

Damn hard to decide...

Any more suggestions?
    edited March 2009
    In my opinion Barb would grind faster cuz he doesn't have to worry about groups of mobs...

Damn hard to decide...

Any more suggestions?

Dead wrong. As I said fear the magical mobs. True we have lots more HP. I can easily take on 5-6 physical attacker mobs and live through it (charm drain but still liveable). Problem is for the mobs to use a physical attack I need to be right next to them. So lets say I target one and run up to him.
    Otw I aggroed another. This second mob doesn't follow me all the way to do physical attacks. He just gets as close as he needs to do his magical attacks.
    Now I have one mob which hits me maybe 100-120 per hit with his physical attack, whilst the other's magical attack is hitting me like 500-800 frequently. Now imagine I had another 3 mobs doing that kind of attack? 2000-3200 dmg every 5 secs? So in the 12sec my heiro takes to cooldown I am taking close to 12K dmg? And I'm not counting the physical attacks either.
    We most definitely have to worry about groups of mobs. Upto late 40s or so I remember taking on 4-6 mobs repeatedly. But now its not so easy.

And as for "AoE" grinding.... barbs have rather crappy aoes when compared to a axe BM. Most aren't 360 degree to begin with and those that are have long cooldowns (8sec+). Only decent one I can think of is Slam. Billow is a very limited area, firestorm is a straight line, perdition for grinding = self destruct (read a PvP skill only).
    Tigerform AoEs are more useful if you ask me though most don't do any damage (debuffs). Surf Impact and Sunder are the ones I use most often. Frighten is pretty cool also.

Besides almost all the damaging AoEs are in human form, where your HP and Pdef are usually no different to a BM's and your dmg is still less than that of a well equipped BM. Humanoid grinding is faster, but its expensive and rather inefficient when soloing. Now if you have a cleric on call at your side its a completely different story, but then it isn't really 'soloing' now is it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    actually in human form your pdef is way way lower than a BM because you don't have alter marrow or his pdef buff..

solo aoe grinding is possible in tiger form on things like seaweed theives.. and that one kind of pirate on nightscream island.. bloodspray things by dreamweaver.. these things are all entirely physical damage..

however you kill slow and your repair bill is gonna be through the roof.. whenever i aoe grind (which is pretty rare.. its not really worth it).. i take a veno or bm with me.. noxious gas/lending hand is really nice when aoe grinding..

you gather up mobs.. roar so the veno doesn't pull aggro.. bestial rage .. sunder.. surf impact.. invoke (reduce damage while sunder/surf is on cooldown) etc etc
  • dabrozwadowski
    edited March 2009
    So You say it's better to stay with my blademaster, right?
    How about cleric?
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    if you want to solo aoe grind .. the most effective is a BM

or you could aoe grind as a veno with a herc with reflect on haha .. dunno how fast it is.. but seems kinda boring
  • Ganiju - Heavens Tear
    Ganiju - Heavens Tear Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    So You say it's better to stay with my blademaster, right?
    How about cleric?

clerics can deal damage but they can't really take it all that well unless they are an attack build when you are a cleric you use alot of mana....and i mean ALOT...
    probably one of the smartest in perfect world
    yet the lowest of level
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Clerics can solo aoe grind too actually. I saw a cleric aoe grind like 6+ poison mobs at once with iron heart, purify, and tempest and razor feather.
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Barbs don't solo grind they AoE grind.

by now you are confused but I saw a barbarian hit and running with slam, about 15 mobs at a time, looks effective.

Don't know where you saw that, but the barb must have been way higher lvl then the mobs. I can do that in fb19, but impossible on mobs of my own lvl.
    Even a fully humanoide build barb should burn through his hp charm in no time grinding like this.
    edited March 2009
    Clerics can solo aoe grind too actually. I saw a cleric aoe grind like 6+ poison mobs at once with iron heart, purify, and tempest and razor feather.

Poison mobs are a different story since they cast a poison which is DoT. The cleric's purify can nullify the poison, and that takes the oT out of DoT, so for the cleric takes very little damage. b:chuckle
    However if they try it with a non poison, DpS magical mob, like say, evolved serpents near dream weaver port, then they will be in trouble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    barb aoe grinding is a myth. slam is horrible in higher lvls. when you are up close to casters they will cast less and go physical that is good for us. if you are stupid and use slam...
    A you don't do that much damage.
    B push them out side of physical damage range now they spam magic = fail

i have tiger lvl 3 with axe hammer maxed for lvl and poison fang lvl well with titans you don't see too much of a damage penalty. and staying in tiger lets you have
    A more hp
    B more def
    C ready access to your best grinding aoe sunder.

now i don't know about the lvl 79 aoe but in tiger you have 4 aoe skills
    1 sunder the king
    2 surf impact
    3 frighten
    4 roar

if you find that you are getting jumped they are nice to save you. but to intentionally put your self in that situation just to use aoe is like jumping outa an airplane with only a life vest on sure you won't drown but ..... the fall will prolly still kill you.

and as far as human grinding goes not that helpful to me honest less hp less def and only 50% more damage on reg attacks that is only 450 attack points per attack on a regular swing and that still gets nulled by mob def.
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    its quite possible to aoe grind in tiger form.. you just have to pick the right mobs.. there are entirely phys mobs in the higher levels.. they are just rare
    edited March 2009
    ...if you find that you are getting jumped they are nice to save you. but to intentionally put your self in that situation just to use aoe is like jumping outa an airplane with only a life vest on sure you won't drown but ..... the fall will prolly still kill you.

ROFL! b:laugh
    Funny yet so true!! b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BigPunisher - Sanctuary
    BigPunisher - Sanctuary Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Listen to Devarsi. He's correct!
  • Wolk_prince - Heavens Tear
    Wolk_prince - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have a barb and it rocks for solo grind. the kill about as fast as venos b:victory but have no ranged attakesb:cry they also dont get rare stuff till higher lvlb:cry so keep on trukin

whats ur dream
  • MadDawgggggg - Lost City
    MadDawgggggg - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Dont pick Barbarian because they dont hit for that much I think you should go with cleric,mage,or wizard. Those are the best dmg. in the game DPS
  • Rasgore - Harshlands
    Rasgore - Harshlands Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    barb aoe grinding is a myth. slam is horrible in higher lvls. when you are up close to casters they will cast less and go physical that is good for us. if you are stupid and use slam...
    A you don't do that much damage.
    B push them out side of physical damage range now they spam magic = fail

i have tiger lvl 3 with axe hammer maxed for lvl and poison fang lvl well with titans you don't see too much of a damage penalty. and staying in tiger lets you have
    A more hp
    B more def
    C ready access to your best grinding aoe sunder.

now i don't know about the lvl 79 aoe but in tiger you have 4 aoe skills
    1 sunder the king
    2 surf impact
    3 frighten
    4 roar

if you find that you are getting jumped they are nice to save you. but to intentionally put your self in that situation just to use aoe is like jumping outa an airplane with only a life vest on sure you won't drown but ..... the fall will prolly still kill you.

and as far as human grinding goes not that helpful to me honest less hp less def and only 50% more damage on reg attacks that is only 450 attack points per attack on a regular swing and that still gets nulled by mob def.

yeah u can use slam but just closte to when he is almost dead and when u push him back u use out slaught and wala hes dead
    RasgoreThE DeStRoYer [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    if you want to solo aoe grind .. the most effective is a BM

+1 on this.

BMs can use their speed skill to lure, gather, stun and AOE 10-20 mobs at a time. The stun is the best part of BM skillz. Since stunned mobs can't do any damage.

Barbs, we take a great deal of damage and can gather more mobs, but we have repair bills that effectively remove profit from the grinding equation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Cybetron - Harshlands
    Cybetron - Harshlands Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Solo grinding is definitely possible for a barb if you get the right kind of mobs. But the question would be, is it really profitable? The answer to which is "no". Zhenning is always better for a barb, you just pull the mobs and watch them get destroyed 5x faster than the solo grinding fiasco. So 5x more exp, spirit and drops.

Solo grinding works the best for barb when you solo grind at the 4th past on pure phy mobs which do really less damage. There's a video of Templar ripping the mobs apart without even letting his charm tick even once. But of course, this is possible when your barb is of a higher level (95+).

Best class to solo grind is definitely BM. The massive amount of AOEs and AOE stuns are a great asset. Pop an MP potion and grind away to heaven b:chuckle

The last and final BIG question: why do you want to solo grind when you have affordable ways to get decent amount of exp to rocket you at supersonic speeds to the 90s? b:laugh b:cute

3 BHs/day, CS, WQ, GVs, occasional Zhenning, super fast FCs after 85 = No need for any more exp and spirit b:cry
  • BarbLord - Raging Tide
    BarbLord - Raging Tide Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    yeah u can use slam but just closte to when he is almost dead and when u push him back u use out slaught and wala hes dead

wow this thread is over a year old how did you even find it

anyway necrob:surrender
  • Rasgore - Harshlands
    Rasgore - Harshlands Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    wow this thread is over a year old how did you even find it

anyway necrob:surrender
    lol i was just looking for barbarian info and i found it lol bit late but hay
    RasgoreThE DeStRoYer [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aborted - Lost City
    Aborted - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    barbs are ok for grinding venos are better but the better one i found for my style of playing was a wizard with a few channeling items equiped... you can kill most mobs your lvl before the even get close and with the range you can get nearly 3 kills by the time a barb gets 1.. form my exp anyway
  • kroli
    kroli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Hi.

As the title says: Is Barbarian the best class for solo grind?

They have good HP and quite nice dmg imo...

I don't know which class to choose if I want to focus on solo grind...

Is Barb a good choice? Maybe other class gets better/faster solo exp?

Plz help

I think the best grind class: Venomancer
  • ThuderCats - Harshlands
    ThuderCats - Harshlands Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I play barb 82 and I AoE grind on those Boars near Dreamweave Port. I found it quite rewarding, since all itens and mats became so cheap due to overflow on PWI market. I make about 200k clean (after rebuying pots and repairing) / hour, still depending on that apo item, life powder, to save money on pots.

Grind against P def melee mobs, use slam and run, use Bestial Rage just before using slams.
    I also change to tiger to cast sunder and then back to human.

If you have an assassin friend, no need for healing pots, since 2% healing almost recver your hp to full after slam.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I have no problems solo aoe grinding and have no problem with my Dmg output either.I have genies designed for solo grinding without a cleric.I also have no problems rounding up as many mobs as I can without losing aggro in wich even most barbs my lvl can't even do that correctly....I guess being a bm for 99lvls helped with the science of correctly aoe grinding.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Ubique - Raging Tide
    Ubique - Raging Tide Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    solo grinding is about maximising returns after factoring in your costs. these include:

1. time
    2. repairs
    3. pots
    4. ammunition

Taking this into account melee classes that kill slowly are ineffective for solo grinding because:

1. lots of time
    2. high repair cost
    3. possible pot usage for multiple magic attacks

Therefore the best solo grind classses minimise the above costs as every coin saved is a coin gained during grinding. Taking this into account IMO the solo grind classes rank as follows :

1. Venomancer
    2. Archer
    3 BM

This is ofc just my opinion and others are likely to disagree however i hope it helps you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I am prepared to meet my maker, whether or not my maker is prepared to meet me is a different question."
  • KingTank - Heavens Tear
    KingTank - Heavens Tear Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    best char is either a BM or venomancer, clerics can aoe grind posion mobs well tho