Oracles Quests and KSing

Shota - Heavens Tear
Shota - Heavens Tear Posts: 256 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Yes, yes I know this sounds like another thread on a tired topic, but maybe I might have a different perspective.

The fault for the conundrum, if there is fault, belongs with PWI. Don't get me wrong PWI, I love you, and you know from my account activity that this is truth. Still, love doesn't mean blindness.

I initially loved the oracle rewards, but that was VERY poorly thought out. The drop rate for these rewards is huge, and that would be ok, IF, and only if 1 of 2 things were done.

1) Create a scroll that demands the random killing of a mini-boss or multiple mobs... like 20 of X mob. There are enough types of mobs in the game that this would have vastly spread out the prey and the hunters. I like to believe that PWI is capable of producing what should be a relatively easy item to produce.

2) Increase the number of target mobs. Oracle III has 3 mobs that spawn in the same area. There could be more added in the general area. Oracles I and II only have the one mob and they will be camped for weeks or months until the supply of these scrolls go bye-bye.

Of course it's too late to do that for this event.. food for thought for future events.

So back to KSing... let me paint a picture of my experience.

I went to the Oracle III area with 150 scrolls to burn. I get there and there is a small group taking turns on 1 of the spawns and FFA going on for the other 2. Nobody was complaining except for the random person that would run in and try to kill a mob without being aware that other people are not NPCs and may have their own agenda.

Sometimes these people would get on board and join the procedure, sometimes they would leave in a huff after telling us all about our genetic makeup.

About every 5 minutes someone would show up claiming that everyone should let them get their kills because they only had 1, 2, 3, or 5. This sounds all warm and fluffy except that there are 1000 people needing 1, 2, 3, or 5 and at what point does an individual person's goals get to get counted.

For me, I stood in the FFA area. If I was able to hit a mob first, I typically got credit for the kill because being an 88 witch I do decent damage. I'm not bragging, their was an archer and veno there eating my lunch from time to time. But I chose my own sense of right and wrong. If I hit the mob first, it was mine and I killed it. If my spell landed after someone else's, I stopped attacking and let them have their kill.

I'm sorry if tyhe fact that I have played more than many and am higher level and can kill faster seems unfair, but the truth is that the way this even was planned leaves NO EQUITABLE way to share the targets.

One could argue that standing in line is fair. I would argue that if me being more powerful than another is unfair then someone having no job and more time to stand in line than me is unfair. Life is not fair, fair is where you go to ride rides and eat cotton candy.

I will say that in my time there I saw 2 people from Enrage who were quite powerful and frequently won the kills. Trying to beat them to a kill actually was kinda fun and I won my share. I COULD have been pissed and called them KSers, but it seems to me that they had scrolls just as I did and I can't complain that they can kill more efficiently if I don't want others to accuse me of the same.

I will say, however, that where I chose to back off of kills I didn't hit first, they did not, but I have yet to read in the rules where my method of decorum was required. I saw nobody killing the mobs that did not have scrolls, so they were not griefing anyone. They were maybe just not as interested in being sociable.

What did amuse me the most was that I would attack a monster and get in 2 clear spells before someone else would attack the mob, and when they did not get credit for the kill, I would get accused of KSing. Sems to me if they jumped in after and they got the kill, they would have been the KSer.

KSing sucks and I do not advocate it, but I think that the use of the term is very much overdone and self-serving. KSing does exist and should be stopped, but just because you don't get the kill you want doesn't mean you have been KSed.

I'm sorry I got a little wordy here, but then if you read this far and thought it was too wordy, why didn't you stop? Maybe I KSed your self control?

By the way, I personally only have been accused of KSing a couple times since I started playing, but I find the whole argument overdone and amusing... except when the accusation is genuine.
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Shota - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Shota - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Wow... now that I see this posted.. it sure did get long, but rather than edit it, I'll leave it as is, but I get to be the first to say

TL;DR

*too long, don't read* for the new to MMO forum smack talk :-)

*hugs all*
    "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I thought tl;dr meant too long; didn't read. :O

tl;dr! Nah, j/k. When I first got a few oracles, I checked out the spot, and saw a bunch of people waiting. I figured it to be AoE bait and moved on with my life, leaving the books in my bank to do later on.

I'm sure it's probably a huge problem, but people need to realize that they're not the only way you can level. Just wait and try again later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Defected - Heavens Tear
    Defected - Heavens Tear Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Your argument makes too much sense. I hope you get banned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Changed my mind. Permanently Retired - Only here to troll.
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I dunno I think the GMs thought this out pretty well.
    I get to sit here browsing the forums while my Cat-shop sells people Oracles I-III. So I get to read about people QQing about Oracle spawn KSing while I make enough money to buy more dolls which in turn make more Oracles. Maybe I'm the villain here.
    I like pie
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    +1 on very short list of people with more than 30 IQ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Shota - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    I thought tl;dr meant too long; didn't read. :O

I've seen it both ways, one as a statement of disinterest and one as a warning to others.

I have a ton of I's and II's to do later, I just have a feeling that "later" might be in May before the spots are no longer camped 24/7.
  • Shota - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    +1 on very short list of people with more than 30 IQ.

Woot, go me!
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Woot, go me!

=)

And I do agree entirely with you.

I may be a part of Enrage but I do not condone griefing. That said, I still support Enrage simply because I think the people crying and whining and throwing around "KSer!" everywhere is 'more wrong.'

I suppose you can say I'm supporting the lesser of two evils.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • Shota - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    =)

And I do agree entirely with you.

I may be a part of Enrage but I do not condone griefing. That said, I still support Enrage simply because I think the people crying and whining and throwing around "KSer!" everywhere is 'more wrong.'

I suppose you can say I'm supporting the lesser of two evils.

Anytime someone else gets a kill, it's KSing. Didn't you know that?

Games seem to mimic life. I notice 2 kinds of players. The first kind sees anyone who is higher level or of greater skill as somehow depriving them of their God given right to be the best. "It's not my fault that I'm not the best in the game. If someone gave me that person's armor, level, weapon, etc., I could be just as good. It's not my fault that they spent 10 times as long playing as I did to be higher than me. It's not my fault they have a job and can afford to buy charms. I should be just as good as everyone if life were FAIR!"

The second kind sees people who are higher level and more skilled and think "That'll be me someday." Then they quietly go back to playing and don't spam the WC or forums with whining.

All the whining makes me think back to when the game was new (yes I was here day 1 with a different toon) and when we ran an FB we were all the same level as the FB... groups of 6 19's struggling to beat FB19. These kids are spoiled rotten I tell you! ;-P
  • NeoT - Heavens Tear
    NeoT - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    All I see here is high lvl char posting...

I would like to hear about the lower levels who didn't have a chance to accomplish their Oracle just because some higher lvls couldn't let other lowers lvls get their chance...

I have some oracles... I will not waste my time with some stupid gamers who don't know how to play... They may have nice gears, big skills, high lvls and stuff like that... That doesn't make them SPECIAL...

You should be ashamed about your attitude...

also, all those BAD gamers don't have the balls to go in PvP servers, because gamers like that would be hunted down on all the map by others...
    I know I was on a PvP server (PW MY). So chill out guys... You are not SPECIAL!!

All my experience on gaming make me think Bad Gamer = bad Person.
    And I know a few playing on the PvE server which we are talking about...
    Weird, they are in Enrage... I saw them doing their moves... no way that is called good gaming and fair play... that is just called being an jerk...

Bringing world boss on the oracle mobs spot... lame...
    Not respecting a line that other good and fair players created so everybody has a chance to do an oracle at a time... Are you a line cutter at the post office too? I would like to see you do that when I am there... come on... do it... and make sure to QQ (like they created the word because it siuts them so well) when everybody kick their **** out of the post office...

You are lame... so let's hear some lower lvls talk about how annoying it is...
    And I hope that the GMs will teleport you in the fb99 alone at the boss just to see how you feel...

SO now let's play a game, a good one and not polluted by some low life persons who don't know what means "PERFECT WORLD".

I will not go white name just to make you enjoy a good PK... not worth it.

To all the good gamers of PWI, let's unite and not let some BAD gamers ruin our pleasure after a long day at work.

About "enrage", your guild is having a bad behavior. Why don't you guys try a PvP server where you can express yourself? PvE sever means that we don't want to deal with a bunch of whiners after they get kicked because they didn't respect the fair play rules... Fair Play, you don't what it means? well get cultivated and maybe all of you will have fun time and ppl will enjoy more PvP fights with you guys, the ones that love PK...

Well... I have enough for now... going to bed, I have a life

To All readers and PWI gamers... Have fun...

- Keep Your Day Job -
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    So you OP have a problem caused by other people
    and you want third party (PWI, GM's whoever) to fix it for you since you can't directly get back at those other people who's action caused you to post this.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I do agree with the OP that the developers could have set up this differently. However, we should be able to fix this on our own.

You are a bully if you choose to be.
  • ZakkusuFae - Heavens Tear
    ZakkusuFae - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I dont get it.

Low lvls (lvl60-) have loads of other quests to do and they whine about oracles that they can do anytime.
    When i got lvl77, i got TWO quest that are possible to do. Did them and now there arent any quests. (got only 10%-lvl at max from them.)

I support "KS" (I dont even call it KS, because the best gets the kill) because low lvls have million other thing to do than wait in a line and whine (I laughed my butt off when i heard about the "line").
    High lvls like me dont have anything to do than grind normal mobs.

My dream is that there wouldnt be lines and every1 would fight for the kill. If you lose, you can always come back later to give it a try.

And if u still whine, whine to the GMs for not making enough boss spawns.

There wasnt any lines in valentines event, so why now?!
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    I dont get it.

Low lvls (lvl60-) have loads of other quests to do and they whine about oracles that they can do anytime.
    When i got lvl77, i got TWO quest that are possible to do. Did them and now there arent any quests. (got only 10%-lvl at max from them.)

I support "KS" (I dont even call it KS, because the best gets the kill) because low lvls have million other thing to do than wait in a line and whine (I laughed my butt off when i heard about the "line").
    High lvls like me dont have anything to do than grind normal mobs.

My dream is that there wouldnt be lines and every1 would fight for the kill. If you lose, you can always come back later to give it a try.

And if u still whine, whine to the GMs for not making enough boss spawns.

There wasnt any lines in valentines event, so why now?!

Honestly, I don't agree with your post at all and I would not do what you do. However, I do know there are no rules about making lines and no reason for you to make them or agreeing in doing them.

However, doing the line is the right thing to do. Otherwise, you are bullying. This is also a matter of personal preference, you might like bullying.
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i fail to see how not agreeing to something you see as ridiculous is bullying .. unless you are like bad mouthing the other people or attempting to grief them

if you just sit there.. attack the monster when it spawns.. and get the kill.. that is in no way bullying .. its being quick enough and hitting hard enough to kill the monster
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    i fail to see how not agreeing to something you see as ridiculous is bullying .. unless you are like bad mouthing the other people or attempting to grief them

if you just sit there.. attack the monster when it spawns.. and get the kill.. that is in no way bullying .. its being quick enough and hitting hard enough to kill the monster

If everybody is under similar conditions (level wise, race, ect). I would not call it bullying. Still, I do not make sence not doing the line.

When I was kid, I use to catch river crabs with my cousins (good memories as city kid going for summer holidays to visit relatives in the country side). We would put them alive on a water pot to cook them.

As kids, my cousins did not see a reason for waiting for the water to be boiling prior putting the crabs on the pot (either to ease their dead or reducing the chances of excaping from the small pot). So, the crabs would die slowly as the water was getting hotter.

Something I noticed at that time, it's that some crabs where able to almost excape from the pot. I would inform my older cousin to watch out. He would say: "don't worry, the crabs below will pull the other ones back in"

HE HE, that's exaclty the case. I don't recall a crab ever excaping when they could probably all have done it. the crabs below would grab the other ones and would not let them go.

So, if we can all get the mob, why not?
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    This overall has been an interesting event...but then again when are they not interesting.

I too have way too many Oracle's but unlike many people, I am not in a hurry to use them. Why wait in line...(which is still hilarious b:chuckle)? It is just that some people want to do them NOW and want to level out super quick. I can understand both sides, but in all honesty....I'm gonna wait it out. I don't have the time mainly to stand there and do nothing or to stand there while people who think they are the owners of the land decide it is all theres.....

In terms of the GM's not thinking this through...I am not entirely what they think because like I said above, every event seems to have an interesting twist issue...ie>>Valentine's Event (LMAO...Pk Party, great fun to watch and res people).

I just wish they would have implemented more of the "bosses." This would have saved a lot of time, effort, complaining, whining, blah blah blah....

Overall, if people are complaining, here is an idea = WAIT! It does not have to be done the second it hits your hands. It's ok, it will still be there later!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Shota - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    So you OP have a problem caused by other people
    and you want third party (PWI, GM's whoever) to fix it for you since you can't directly get back at those other people who's action caused you to post this.

Ummm what post are you reading? Please tell me what problem I had that I asked anyone to fix. I said I felt sorry for people who had problems, that the problems were overblown, and that the problems were caused by PWI distrributing 18 gazillion oracles for the same mob.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009

About "enrage", your guild is having a bad behavior. Why don't you guys try a PvP server where you can express yourself? PvE sever means that we don't want to deal with a bunch of whiners after they get kicked because they didn't respect the fair play rules... Fair Play, you don't what it means? well get cultivated and maybe all of you will have fun time and ppl will enjoy more PvP fights with you guys, the ones that love PK...

Well... I have enough for now... going to bed, I have a life

To All readers and PWI gamers... Have fun...

- Keep Your Day Job -
    We play on PvE server because we think it's funny when people who suck at gaming and can't find ways around their own problems whine to their mommies--I mean GMs. And what fair play rules? All I see are people who camp the spawns all the same and the only people who get suspended are people with the same guild tag.

And I KNOW my guildies are expressing bad behavior, but you know what? It's because the whiner's behavior is even worse that I think they deserve every bit of KS they suffer from.

WAKE UP GMS. IT'S STILL GOING ON AND IT'S NOT THE PEOPLE YOU BANNED DOING IT. OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T SEE THEM CUZ THEY DON'T HAVE ENRAGE ON THEIR HEAD!!

And why don't you get cultivated. I'm not a vegetable that needs cultivating. I already know what it means to be fair and civilized, and the way I see it, the people who world chat with KS KS KS KS KS KS KS are the ones who are most childish and uncivilized.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.