Ranged mobs?

Destini - Dreamweaver
Destini - Dreamweaver Posts: 198 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Wizard
All right, so last night, I was off doing the cultivation quest where I had to go against a bunch of ranged mobs (who knew that Dustwraith Sentinels could be so powerful in their shots and being so small?). No matter how much I ran and shot at it, I couldn't stop dying. I'm a pure wizard, by the way with plenty of hp shards (now would be the time to get that charm from the "try to leap" quest, but trying to reach it is another thread) in my weapon and armor (or at least the ones with sockets in it).

So how does one not get their...you know what...whupped from ranged mobs?

Let me say that I enjoy being a wizard and what not, but the hp and physical defense is the only thing that's killing me (excuse the pun, and apparently some people tend to get frustrated at this point to the point of rerolling).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Of course I want to make you giggle, but this is serious. b:chuckle

Other Characters:

Ivy_>Psychic>Level 92>Sage>Active
Serenata>Venomancer>Level 44>Inactive until further notice
Avocet>Cleric>Level 25>same as above
Descorian>Blademaster>Level 5> The love child of Destini and Escorian...but I hardly play her...b:surrender

PS: Caffeine Detox sucks!
Post edited by Destini - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    hit with a hard spell, gush, distance shrink (or run), gush, run, gush, run, gush, run etc

called kiting
    just make sure u dont run into more
  • Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    Ihazacute - Sanctuary Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Yes, right now is your hardest time kiting because you dont have distance shrink or any other skills that will really help.

Best you can do is exactly what ^ said: gush and run.

Or you can squad up with someone. Ranged physical mobs are really the only thing i've ever had trouble killing, so I usually try and grab someone. Even another wizzy may make it so you kill the thing before it fires off.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Or you can squad up with someone. Ranged physical mobs are really the only thing i've ever had trouble killing, so I usually try and grab someone. Even another wizzy may make it so you kill the thing before it fires off.
    This is the easiest way to do it. Get a partner and gank the same mob, or let your partner kill the ranged physical mobs and kill something for another quest, which you both have, preferably.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I hated these little things, I spent most my time healing myself until I decided to call for backup...after trying so many times, I did what Kristoph suggested.....and you can probably find someone there doing the same quest or just call for a friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Destini - Dreamweaver
    Destini - Dreamweaver Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    That's exactly what ended up happening. I squaded up with a couple of folks (one of whom had the same quest) and we knocked them out pretty quickly.

I always have a hard time remembering to kite. It's easier when they're not ranged mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Of course I want to make you giggle, but this is serious. b:chuckle

Other Characters:

Ivy_>Psychic>Level 92>Sage>Active
    Serenata>Venomancer>Level 44>Inactive until further notice
    Avocet>Cleric>Level 25>same as above
    Descorian>Blademaster>Level 5> The love child of Destini and Escorian...but I hardly play her...b:surrender

PS: Caffeine Detox sucks!
  • Elahim - Lost City
    Elahim - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    IMO learning to kite now isn't such a bad idea. As you go on you will need to kite less and less but that doesn't make the lessons you learn from kiting useless. If nothing else its something you can fall back on.

Another tip for ranged mobs, grab a few levels of earth barrier. Getting hit is never the plan but it happens and earth barrier will lighten the blow a bit and might be what keeps you alive if you anger more than one. Aside from that hang in there, L29 Distance Shrink, L39 Phoenix Knockback Spell, L49 Force of Will. ~L69 Glacial Snare high enough level to takeover as your leadoff.
  • drag0nball
    drag0nball Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well I did all ranged mobs alone and without a problem and I didn;t died at all. All you have to know is to know your class and your spells and the next one to know your enemy. If you are carefull even a ranged mob cannot hit you at all or mostly u get hit only once if you are not that carefull.Of cours eyou MUST max the gush and pyrogram and stine rain as much as you can to have more range and as you see even the ranegd mobs needs to come close r to you to shoot and in that time you can run faster whele they are slower specailly if u used the gush...easy like that. or you just use gush-run-gush-run-gush-run-gush(or stone rain) and the mob is good as dead...at lvl 55 you will know better how to do this because you will meet plenty archer mobs later on...
  • ursumtl
    ursumtl Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yeah, dustwraith are a pain in the butt sometimes. Like Ossein Merchant !? I think, and Adawolf Sharpshooter and a lot of mobs at this lvl.
    I'm at lvl 33 now, pure Magic wizz, I died probably twice because of my own stupidity ( hit lvl 45 and 50 boss just to see how much dmg i make...needless to say I couldn't run away fast enough). At this lvl I have ~ 300 Phys def, 1700 magic def , about 1100 hp and 3600mp. I'm still using the fb19 weapon.Basic magic dmg is now over 800, maximum i think is 890 or something.
    I have a few combos set up, depending on the type of mob i choose one of them. Ranged mobs (archers) can hit me once if I use combos and can't touch me if I use kitting at least for 1 cast. Usually 3 shots and the mob is dead. If the 4th is needded it's just because mob has about 200-300HP left. Melee mobs or mobs that have cast time don't stand a chance. The only buff i have is the MP shield, 5MP/sec. Pretty usefull. I can heal myself when needed, so...all good.
    This is how I play this class, love it, cause i play most of the time alone. I tried veno, but it pisses me off - I have to take care of the pet.
This discussion has been closed.