Grinding with a wizard... advice plz

Ffilteg - Sanctuary
Ffilteg - Sanctuary Posts: 83 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Wizard
Hi I have started to reach the point in PWI where the quests no longer cover the xp needed to level my character.

I find grinding tedious because as a wizard I am contantly having to meditate to regain MP... Other then an MP Charm, which are out of my price range, what other methods can I use. I hate killing 3 or 4 mob's and having to stop to meditate. A slighlty seperate issue which monsters are good for grinding on i'm only gaining 0.1% of my xp bar every 2-3 kill's so i'm sure i'm not killing the best mob's.

Thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to help b:thanks
Post edited by Ffilteg - Sanctuary on

Comments

• convectus
    convectus Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    1) Do your dailies.
    2) Level Glacial Embrace as high as your level (and money/SP) allows
    3) Grind on flying or acuatic mobs like there is no tomorrow. Many acuatic mobs are water based, so they deal less damage to you (should you have a decently leveled Glacial Embrace on), and are weak to your earth attacks (Sandstorm, Stone Rain, even the humble Pitfall)
    4) Check out "One Man Army" and (when you reach 60) "Order of Justice" quests. Then, from the mob type you must choose to kill, look for the one you are resistant against/is vulnerable to your attacks.
    5) Before doing 3) and 4) try to get an XP scroll (aka Training Esoterica) and ask a cleric to buff you.
  • Ffilteg - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    thank you b:pleased
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Try saving up for a gold MP charm, it will make life much easier once you're able to afford one. Before then, grind on mobs which drop well, and which die before they hit you. There's a few pretty easy mobs around your level, lv33-34 lanterns at lantern mountain, lv37-40 melee mobs in the water northeast and lofty ptero's above the land north/west of angler's village. All of these should drop you quite a few DQ items and equips. There's also weaker ptero's around heaven's tear.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Try saving up for a gold MP charm, it will make life much easier once you're able to afford one. Before then, grind on mobs which drop well, and which die before they hit you. There's a few pretty easy mobs around your level, lv33-34 lanterns at lantern mountain, lv37-40 melee mobs in the water northeast and lofty ptero's above the land north/west of angler's village. All of these should drop you quite a few DQ items and equips. There's also weaker ptero's around heaven's tear.

Nows the time to get a Gold charm...prices low! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Ddsp - Lost City
    Ddsp - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ok I admit to being a n00b here but i just made a bunch of stones at the apothacary that build my hp and mp. Mostly hp though and tried one against a high lvld mob. still got my a$$ handed to me but i didnt get one hit like normal. Just a thought.
    ddsp: Archer-Lost City
    Plan: Run around and kill!!!
    Results: Epic Fail
    Concern: None-It is just a game.b:nosebleedb:nosebleedb:nosebleed
  • Mechsiao - Sanctuary
    Mechsiao - Sanctuary Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Sesames ftw. You shldnt have mana problems if you got your hands on those. If not, powders are also good. Farm for herbs and mass produce powders to sustain your mana regen. Gold Charms aren't so effective if you combine with sutra while grinding, there'll be bad times ur sutra regens nothing. It'll be a slight waste, well if your rich, it's a different story.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    search mobs close to ur lvl and also weak on fire spells, dont' kill mobs with green name. Wizz do the greatest dmg on fire spells, short cast for Pyro and Divine Pyro ...something like that.
    For melee mobs I usually do Divine Pyro, gush, Pyro, gush...the last gush is usually just to be safe. Mobs that don't have fire resistance don't stand a chance to this combo.
    For regen, use some powder, you need lvl 2 appo to make some decent stuff that keeps your MP bar at full almost at all times. And lvl up the MP regen.
    I have mine at 5mp/sec, I can grind for an hour with a mana regen powder ... 1 hour is at least 100 mobs killed....

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    hmmm
    are you pure or LA?
    i rarely run out of mana and if i do its after about 15 mins of grinding(and i grind on higher lvls usually)
    but i use glacial embrace a lot when im fighting same or lower lvl mobs(never run out of mana) well good luck out there
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Ffilteg - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    I'm kind of neither at the minute, I allocated my first few points before I knew about wizard builds and anything about PWI to be honest. I'm in the process of training to become a LA build as it is what I think i'm closest to but thats a few levels away.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2009
    I tried a LA for wizz and I found it utterly useless.
    The wizz is by definition weak but does a great deal of dmg in compensation.
    The LA handicaps the dmg, but you won't have any phys def either, not a good one anyway. You loose about 20 to 25% of the dmg with a LA, not worth it in my oppinion. That 25% dmg / cast is good enough to keep you safe from mobs. In the worst case with a pure magic you take 1 hit that won't kill you anyway. If that hit takes 200 hp or 170hp is not an issue, but it can be an issue if you need to take 2 or 3 more hits to cast another spell, which is so often the case with the LA wizz.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I tried a LA for wizz and I found it utterly useless.
    The wizz is by definition weak but does a great deal of dmg in compensation.
    The LA handicaps the dmg, but you won't have any phys def either, not a good one anyway. You loose about 20 to 25% of the dmg with a LA, not worth it in my oppinion. That 25% dmg / cast is good enough to keep you safe from mobs. In the worst case with a pure magic you take 1 hit that won't kill you anyway. If that hit takes 200 hp or 170hp is not an issue, but it can be an issue if you need to take 2 or 3 more hits to cast another spell, which is so often the case with the LA wizz.
    Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about.

- I have 61% physical damage reduction, with crappy gear
    - Yeah, Arcane build is good enough for mobs... but not pvp. Which can matter to some people
    - I'm LA and I don't get hit my melee/magic mobs
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2009
    Wizz is a dmg dealer,so built it to matter.
    Restat is always an option, but why cripple a char that is designed to do dmg?

You have 61% phys dmg reduction, but how about having 25-30% more dmg than you have now? Believe me, i tried both pure magic and LA build. My lvl 33 pure magic does more dmg than my lvl 38 LA, and the LA has a +3 raybender and the 33 is still with the fb19 reward. Another 5 lvls and another wpn and there is no way these 2 can be compared.
    true, the LA can have some tanking initiative, but is not good at it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Go read Pandora's guide. Take someone's advice who knows. This is an ongoing build disagreement. Crit % equaling out dmg between the two builds. Go research.
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Go read Pandora's guide. Take someone's advice who knows. This is an ongoing build disagreement. Crit % equaling out dmg between the two builds. Go research.

I know I've discussed this with you before, but imo, I don't think the 4% extra crit you'd have as a LA equals the 25-30% flat damage increase from pure. Not to mention that the rate of increase of the damage exceeds that of the crit. Assuming same % crit from gear. I'll stay out of the defense discussion for the most part, as I don't have much issues with my defense and hp as other wizards, though I will say that ultimately earth barrier helps the arcane mage more than the LA.

My 2cp.
  • Ffilteg - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    I'm now really quite confused by the LA > Pure > LA discussion. b:surrender

All I can seem to work out is I have made a mess of my wizard, to be expected I rushed in without RTFM b:cry
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I know I've discussed this with you before, but imo, I don't think the 4% extra crit you'd have as a LA equals the 25-30% flat damage increase from pure. Not to mention that the rate of increase of the damage exceeds that of the crit. Assuming same % crit from gear. I'll stay out of the defense discussion for the most part, as I don't have much issues with my defense and hp as other wizards, though I will say that ultimately earth barrier helps the arcane mage more than the LA.

My 2cp.

I know, I'm trying to stay OUT of the discussion in this thread b:surrender

For a just starting player, do 1str (for your wep) 4int (for your mag) for the first few levs until you get a feel for things. Early lev you won't get any real advantage from Vit or from Dex. When your comfortable with that and get a feel for how it works, then look at some of the different builds available. I'd say about lev 20 is when to start shopping around.

Around lev 40 you should have a good feel for whether you die too much, whether its to pk or mobs and whether your doing enough dmg and can sacrifice some, or not enough and need to restat.

Since your already at 40, and know something isn't quite right, I'd strongly suggest reading through a few of the guides on the forums. I know its RTFM, but since each build is different and everyone is a bit biased in thier own direction... one of my favorite guids is Pandora's. I'm sure that Calibix can probably point at a few others.
  • john343
    john343 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    To op: i am a lowish level wiz myself, and have had the same problem as u. To answer ur plea of what to do when u run out of quests i say do crazy stone and at your level go to heaven's tear and rind the pterosaurs. They have a good range in level there and any wiz will destroy them with ease.

As for the pure magic/light armor thing, its not so much which is better, but which is better for what.
    For pvp the armor is better if u don't mind taking a few hits, but the pure build can deal more damage. It all depends on how u use it.

Veni, vedi, vici.
  • Aquagirl - Raging Tide
    Aquagirl - Raging Tide Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    oh God this has to be the mother of all necros
  • troothfulsword
    troothfulsword Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    this thread rules. ignore the necro and lets talk about old times.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    john343 wrote: »
    To op: i am a lowish level wiz myself, and have had the same problem as u. To answer ur plea of what to do when u run out of quests i say do crazy stone and at your level go to heaven's tear and rind the pterosaurs. They have a good range in level there and any wiz will destroy them with ease.

As for the pure magic/light armor thing, its not so much which is better, but which is better for what.
    For pvp the armor is better if u don't mind taking a few hits, but the pure build can deal more damage. It all depends on how u use it.

the OP is now lvl 101, this was like 60 levels ago i think LOL
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze