newbie question about pets

Zelta - Harshlands
Zelta - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Venomancer
I got a lvl 12 Sharptooth Wolfling and I have a lvl 12 Riding Wolfling.

Now commonsense tells me that the pet I had to go out and get on my own would be the stronger one. Also the pet that is larger would be stronger, ALSO the pet that is caught at a higher level would be stronger.

But for some reason my noob pet is stronger stat wise. I dont know how pet skills work, if I can level them or not i mean. so currently thats the one advantage my riding has over the sharptooth.

Why is this?
Post edited by Zelta - Harshlands on

Comments

• Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Put simply, pets of the same family type, raised at lower levels will have better stats then thier higher level counterparts. More work to train them equals a better reward(pet).

You can train petskills at the zoologist in archersaur every 20 levels. It costs a good chunk of coins needing to buy an upgrade scroll.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    This was something that confused me a lot too. But I'm starting to get the hang of it.

A bought pet egg is no different than an egg you caught. Make sure you check the level as some people sell Eggs of pets they have already leveled above you.

Size has nothing to do with stats, in fact big pets IMHO are a pain in battle once the novelty wears off because they block everything and make too much noise.

You need different pets depending on the fighting style you prefer, which may vary depending on what bosses you fight.

Here is one of the best sites I have found that shows the beginning pet stats and graphs.
    http://pwi.moonalupe.com/bpl1.htm
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Veno pets = pokemon. The ones of th same family you catch and raise to higher levels will be more powerful in terms of stats.

The main advantage to getting a pet that's at a higher level but in the same family as another pet is for the skills... but that only applies for when you're unable to gain coin easily enough to give pets the skills you want them to have. Once you reach the point where money is no longer an obstacle, the pets you raise will always be more useful than the ones you catch at later levels.
  • Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    truekossy wrote: »
    The main advantage to getting a pet that's at a higher level but in the same family as another pet is for the skills... but that only applies for when you're unable to gain coin easily enough to give pets the skills you want them to have. Once you reach the point where money is no longer an obstacle, the pets you raise will always be more useful than the ones you catch at later levels.

You can also find pets with skills higher level than you can buy (until much later on). And if you have a good pet heal you might be better off with higher level skills.

Also, higher level pets within one pet family seem to be faster than lower level pets. This can help when you are luring or just impatient. (And of course, you can save time you would otherwise have to have been spending raising your pet's level. This becomes especially true if you have secondary pets.)

Also, taming can be fun!
  • Zelta - Harshlands
    Zelta - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Why would I bother having a second pet if the first pup I get is going to be better than any thing else I'll ever catch?

I still dont get the logic behind a pup wolf being stronger than an adult wolf.

sure you have to "train" them from a low level. but how hard is putting your pet on passive while you grind? Its much harder to set there and take the beating from a strong monster while your training to tame it. imo any way.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The reason to have several Pets in my limited experience is:
    1) You can summon a replacement pet quickly if one dies in battle. This has saved me many times. I remember one time, I had to summon all of the 4 pets I had at that time, one after the other to keep alive when a whole bunch of mob aggroed on me. I could have run away but it was more fun to see if I could battle it out and I did prevail. After that experience I made sure to have all my Pets reasonably leveled and at full HP before I de-summon them.
    2) Land, Water and Air pets are necessary for the respective type of mob.
    3) Type of fighting. If you are fighting easy Mobs, I usually prefer a fast Pet with a good damage skill that I can send running around killing the Mob quickly. The Petite Sawfly is also good for that. With tough Mobs you want something like a Magnamite that can tank and not die too fast.

As for leveling your wolf pup vs big wolf, personally I wouldn't bother spending too much time worrying about it until you get to lvl 17-20 when you get to try out a whole bunch of cool pets including the Golems. You will probably find some that you like way more and if you still like your pup wolf you can always go back and level it up fairly quickly. I find I never use any of my Wolves any more, but that is just my personal preference.
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Why would I bother having a second pet if the first pup I get is going to be better than any thing else I'll ever catch?

I still dont get the logic behind a pup wolf being stronger than an adult wolf.

sure you have to "train" them from a low level. but how hard is putting your pet on passive while you grind? Its much harder to set there and take the beating from a strong monster while your training to tame it. imo any way.

You're right, it isn't logical. Though it wont be better then anything you can catch ever, just any -wolf- you catch.

Also at your other point, taming takes no skill or time lol. You can even have your current pet tank it while you cast tame.
  • shadowwintry
    shadowwintry Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Put simply, pets of the same family type, raised at lower levels will have better stats then thier higher level counterparts. More work to train them equals a better reward(pet).

You can train petskills at the zoologist in archersaur every 20 levels. It costs a good chunk of coins needing to buy an upgrade scroll.

Hello..it cost me a lot of time to find out how to upgrade my pets skills and finally i found here the answer only it isnt a upgrade scroll but you need a tamebook and it cost is 200.000 coins..also from Mrs. Zoologist. Great forum btw :)
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Don't necro. You had to dig pretty deep to find this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga