Guys playing girl chars and vice versa?

Options
sillyfoo
sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
I was playing on a alt and i heal this archer guy on my female character cleric cause i wanted to be nice then i moved on. The guy followed me forever finally hes like Hey and talking like how cool his char is and how hes gonna own and if i wanna be director of guild hes making. I am only lvl 5. I tell him right after that "This is my alt i only play this char when my gf is off and im a guy btw" then hes like oh then long silence lol and then he got offensive calling me a perve and saying its wrong for guys to play girl chars. I told him that i didnt wanna be a guy cleric cause i dont like how it looks especially when he does group buffs, venos arent all girls either, and same goes vice versa for barbs and all other classes. He said its wrong that guys shouldnt do that at all and that im a bad person. I told him thats his opinion and hes entitled to it but he doesnt need to talk trash and he left. I kinda feel like he got mad cause he was attracted to me and i turned out to be a guy. So i just would like to poll do u guys think its wrong to play a char thats not ur gender.

edit - feel free to discuss or whatever just keep it from flaming.
Post edited by sillyfoo on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I don't care what the gender of the person behind the character is.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    Aryetta - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    doesn't matter to me x3
  • Sophia - Harshlands
    Sophia - Harshlands Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    doesnt matter as long as they dont lie about it.
    Pendulum's definition of fair fight:
    Copy and paste: img12.imageshack.us/img12/4148/lolzpendulum.jpg
    "That was a pretty fair fight and liek OMG they got ****ed up." - Wreck talking about the fight in the screenshot.
    "You're the worst mage ever" - Iffy 5 mins before I roll her 1 on 1

We should keep that in mind next time you're crying in sz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Confessions by a SZ hero
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Maybe he should stop making assumptions. Ill play whatever character I like, and if I feel like cross dressing, so be it. I think male clerics are a bit sissy anyway.
    Not that I get much choice playing a Veno.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    He is uncomfortable with his sexuality. I play Male or Female toons, and pay no mind to which is which, heck sometimes I do it because the customizations for female characters are better it seems. Also... Veno's can only be female.. there are no male Veno's so.. if I wanna play a Veno.... I gotta play a female character.

Besides.. their butts are nicer.

~S
  • Tomato - Dreamweaver
    Tomato - Dreamweaver Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I'm a female playing a barb. I don't think it's a big deal which gender you play, it's just pixels =)
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    STOP HITTING ON ME OR ELSE

I'll be forced to respond in kind, and then tell you later. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ratinax - Sanctuary
    Ratinax - Sanctuary Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Gender doesn't matter. If someone hits on your girl char when your a dude, tell em so he feels sick of himself. (maybe even question his sextuality? XD)

I play a barb as an alt and when I mention my bf they're all 'your ****?' T_T Its annoying sometimes, but you never know who is a girl or a guy until you ask or they tell you XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Another mmo I play has a necromancer class and a lot of the male players chose female characters because the males have a sort of emo look to them.

My boyfriend in real life always chooses girl characters for online games because he doesn't want to stare at a guy all day long. b:laugh

But as far as meeting these people goes, if you spend enough time on the internet, you learn not to make assumptions, they always lead you wrong in the end. And I won't even start on 12 year olds who forget that I look nothing like my character in this game when they say "ur hot." How do you know?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • DarkReCon - Heavens Tear
    DarkReCon - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    well the most part of this gender issue is there is not both genders for ALL classes.. You have male only for barbs and female only for venos, I have ALL classes as alt including a veno and I am very much a male.. I wispered to one guy one day (a barb infact) who was hitting on my Veno that I was a male and there was about 2 minutes of silence then he came back to say "Im embarrassed, thanks for telling me..LOL. ", I told him "NP".. b:thanks

I think it is funny when they do that like this is a pick-up spot.. Hey lets meet at Krimson and have dinner.. LOL.. b:bye
    Why wont my sig work.. Not kool..
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I can't see the problem. Especially when 2 classes are genderbound.

I once asked a guy why he played a female character. His answer: "I have to look at her behind all the time, so I better make it as interesting as possible."
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Another mmo I play has a necromancer class and a lot of the male players chose female characters because the males have a sort of emo look to them.

My boyfriend in real life always chooses girl characters for online games because he doesn't want to stare at a guy all day long. b:laugh

But as far as meeting these people goes, if you spend enough time on the internet, you learn not to make assumptions, they always lead you wrong in the end. And I won't even start on 12 year olds who forget that I look nothing like my character in this game when they say "ur hot." How do you know?

Do you play Guild Wars by any chance.

No there is nothing wrong with males playing females.It shows more respect.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Tryndal - Heavens Tear
    Tryndal - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I play a female archer! Im sorry I dont want to watch a guys **** wiggle in my face! Thats besides the fact! Obviously and clearly this isn't MYSPACE or some pick-up site! I get the same thing and I also think its funny. I let them pick me up for chi and they flirt. HAHAHAHAHAHA then they send me flowers! LOL only if they knew!!!!! They don't ask so I don't tell. "ITS A GAME"!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Arrows fletched with the feathers of angels seldom miss their mark.
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    One of the silliest things you can do in an online game is making assumptions on the real life gender of a player based on their character. My Cleric has transparent wings, too. Do those people I assume I can fly in real life because my char can?

I find it funny how those gender debates arise in every single RPG on the planet every few days. Personally I find them fairly silly, really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Carlos_lgn - Heavens Tear
    Carlos_lgn - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    mmoRPG, the name says it all I think. Everybody has the freedom and right to role play here, no wickedness to it ;) I'm a guy and personally always play male characters, but that's just my choice.
    What is a bit disturbing at times tho is when a guy playing a female character goes through a lot of energy to get somebody to believe they are in fact a female, for some intents and porpoises :p role play is alright but taking it that far kinda throws me off..
    edited March 2009
    Options
    One of the silliest things you can do in an online game is making assumptions on the real life gender of a player based on their character. My Cleric has transparent wings, too. Do those people I assume I can fly in real life because my char can?

I find it funny how those gender debates arise in every single RPG on the planet every few days. Personally I find them fairly silly, really.

In an online game to be assumed to be a girl is one thing; try having it happen on a forum sometime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hidaru_Areum - Heavens Tear
    Hidaru_Areum - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I dont see an issue with it as long as the person playing an opposite gender character doesnt try to convince people that thats their real gender lol. I have a barb as my main but when my Gf isnt on I play a venomancer. battle pets ftw o: lol
  • Xenaaah - Heavens Tear
    Xenaaah - Heavens Tear Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I have no problem with people playing as the opposite sex. I was messing around in character creation and stuck with her ever since. I would be kewl tho if maybe they added some more features for the guys. Like facial scars or something. Some of the defaults for the guys look a bit cartoony.

-Xen
  • Uodega - Dreamweaver
    Uodega - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Female chars do look better in this game and its a GAME so I dont see no reason why you shouldnt play any char you want.
    Im a guy and started pwi with male char so didnt really knew there is such trouble for females chars. I mean, there are kids, that either stupid or dont really understand English, so persistant tring to hit on you to a point you have to blacklist them. -thank pwi god for this option-
    Last case for me was particularly funny. Some guy send me a love letter wid some cash and started whispering "open my letter', "you and me", "forever love".. I tried to explain him that Im a guy and did question his sexuality, but he didnt seam to understand what Im sayin. Finally the message somehow reached his brain and he was like "you are a man? lol", "noo. you a a girl". I understand it was a youg kid new to this game, but it was still funny.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Do you play Guild Wars by any chance.
    If you watch the battles in Guild Wars, you'll see that probably 70%-80% of the characters are female. The game has really hot female models, so I guess men like to watch them.
    mmoRPG, the name says it all I think.
    Someone else put it best: MMORPG = Masses of Men Online Role Playing Girls.
    edited March 2009
    Options

That's actually a false statement.

Female toon != role playing a girl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

Which is a highly idiotic statement to make considering that (depending on the game type) 30-40% of the gamer population are females in real life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Which is a highly idiotic statement to make considering that (depending on the game type) 30-40% of the gamer population are females in real life.

I was told by this one guy that girls never want to do anything fun!

So now you know -- we never like having fun! (I learn amazing new things about myself every day!!)

b:chuckle
  • NigelDamas - Lost City
    NigelDamas - Lost City Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ( ^ U ^ ) I'm a girl playing on a guy character, and I'm as happy as a clam. People who cry "perv!" "omgursogayyyy!" need to get their heads out of the drain and stop clogging the communal toilet.

Although really, I wish that you could make female barbs and male venos. Would be kinda fun to oogle. Panda with **** anyone? XDDD
  • Onxy - Harshlands
    Onxy - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    So I'm a guy. Does that mean I can't play Metriod Prime? Does it mean when I'm playing Street Fighter, Chun Li is off limits to me? I guess a female who enjoys playing Snake in Metal Gear has problems? Mabey the people who play as Barbarians and Fox Form Venomancers may have secret impulses we should be wary of!

Its a video game for crying out loud! We play what we want and who we want. Furthermore its a "Role"playing game.
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Personally, I can't stand people that say it's wrong to play a character of the opposite gender. They are the ones who take online gaming way too seriously.
  • Advent_fox - Sanctuary
    Advent_fox - Sanctuary Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i honestly believe guys are just threatened by girls playing guy characters. . they do the whole omg, he looks elite i wanna be like him, only to find out its a girl

and vice versa, apparently a guy playing a female character is not in any way macho therefore your a loser for doing it

grow up guys
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    This game has a gender-restricted race and gender-restricted actions. Even if the **** about not playing a character that isn't your gender had an ounce of merit, the very fact that we have things that are gender-restricted nullify that completely.

Most (that means not all) of the people who feel that people should be forced into only using a certain gender in games are insecure or immature anyway.
  • Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    If I could have chosen to be a male veno I would have.

And what about girls who want to play as a barb? This is a game, with optional ways to play it given to all, unlike in real life where you never had any choice in your gender.
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Simple fact,if theres any people out there(and theres lots)that will hit on a toon due to its gender then they need their head sorted out,nothing wrong in playing a different gender toon from yourself in rl.
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
This discussion has been closed.