Why Are Duplicate Names Allowed on New Servers???

Options
_CaTrinka_ - Heavens Tear
_CaTrinka_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Correct me if I'm wrong but once a character name is created on one server isn't it not suppose to be able to be reused by someone else on a seperate server?

I'm asking because I was on one of the new servers and saw all these names that have been taken on other servers, so I try to make a character with my main's name and the name was available. I don't want someone else having my name. I would hate for them to be able to post things on the forums, make people mad and people confuse them for me. So I took the name on both new servers.

This is not possible on Lost, Sanctuary, and Heaven's Tear you can only use the name once, you can't have it on all 3 servers so why aren't these servers the same.

So if you don't want your name taken, go get it now, before someone else does!
Post edited by _CaTrinka_ - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Saitada is now taken on all servers she can be created on... by me. LOL

~S
  • Thorina - Harshlands
    Thorina - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but once a character name is created on one server isn't it not suppose to be able to be reused by someone else on a seperate server?

I'm asking because I was on one of the new servers and saw all these names that have been taken on other servers, so I try to make a character with my main's name and the name was available. I don't want someone else having my name. I would hate for them to be able to post things on the forums, make people mad and people confuse them for me. So I took the name on both new servers.

This is not possible on Lost, Sanctuary, and Heaven's Tear you can only use the name once, you can't have it on all 3 servers so why aren't these servers the same.

So if you don't want your name taken, go get it now, before someone else does!

Something to think about is that afterawhile if they kept restricting names to ones that hadn't been used already the number of names available would continually drop, and you would end up with more and more names unavailable to use. In other games each server has it's own list of unavailable names that is separate from each other server simply because of that problem. Also, by keeping the same list across all servers it prevents players from being able to use the same name on every server they want to play on.

As for impersonating someone else...I really don't believe that's an issue to worry about.
  • Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I also just went and took the names I use on Lost City on the new servers. Not just so people can't take them, it's in case I ever decide to move there or play around on there. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    As for impersonating someone else...I really don't believe that's an issue to worry about.
    Not true. I know of at least on instance where someone created a character with a name that was close enough to be easily mistaken for the other person.. just to ruin their reputation.

Fortunately, people who knew this guy knew better and the other character got laughed off the server.

I personally think it's pretty lame to try and impersonate someone else, if you have to go to those links to "ruin" someones good (or bad) name.. your a pretty sad, sorry individual.

~S
  • Misstaken - Heavens Tear
    Misstaken - Heavens Tear Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    IamStupid.
    Problem solved.
    I used to do drugs, I still do but I used to too.
  • _CaTrinka_ - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Not true. I know of at least on instance where someone created a character with a name that was close enough to be easily mistaken for the other person.. just to ruin their reputation.

That's one thing that I what I was afraid of.
    Or that the person was just inappropriate and rude in game/forum and someone on their server mistaken me for them on the forum and started giving me a hard time. I'll be honest I don't look at the server name beside people's names. There are some regulars that post and I coulnd't tell you what server they are on but i know the name, and i think others do the same thing.

I'm glad everyone on here that wanted to has gotten their names :)

Oh and I like the new sig Saitada :)
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Something to think about is that afterawhile if they kept restricting names to ones that hadn't been used already the number of names available would continually drop, and you would end up with more and more names unavailable to use.

It is a good point, One thing that would help would be that duplicate names couldn't be used on the forums or that we could use individual advatars. I think that would help ward off any mistaken identities, cause that's really what I was concerned about
  • Brotherdave - Heavens Tear
    Brotherdave - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Not sure if this is true. I tried to use my Heaven's Tear name on Harshlands and it said the name was used already so either it can't be done or someone beat me to it. If the later is the case then if any of my friends are on Harshlands, it is not me. b:angry
    "Nobody is that much better than anybody else at the big table. They have different styles, different ways of doing things. But everybody gets the same cards." - Robert Duvall in Lucky You
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Not sure if this is true. I tried to use my Heaven's Tear name on Harshlands and it said the name was used already so either it can't be done or someone beat me to it. If the later is the case then if any of my friends are on Harshlands, it is not me. b:angry

Unfortunately looks like someone beat you to your name since there are those of us on this thread that got their name on both the new ones. Sorry!
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    It is a good point, One thing that would help would be that duplicate names couldn't be used on the forums or that we could use individual advatars. I think that would help ward off any mistaken identities, cause that's really what I was concerned about

Well, even if they tried to impersonate you on the forums they still wouldn't have the right server name since it's on a different server, and individual avatars wouldn't help since they would be able to use yours too, and if they were trying to impersonate you then a lot of other people would probably know it wasn't you anyway.

The only names that cannot be duplicates are the user names chosen when the account is created.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased