Character to different server transfer

Zand_pyrite - Sanctuary
Zand_pyrite - Sanctuary Posts: 126 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Suggestion Box
I am trying to get this idea out a much as i can and bring the GM's attention to it no matter what it takes, if i could make it to the meet & greet this friday i would even tell them this in person.

With the release of the new servers, which in my opinion should have been there from the beginning, some of us east coasters would like to play in these servers and reduce some lag. But the only flaw is that it would force you to abandon your old characters in the west servers that we worked on and put time and possibly money into building these characters up to what they are.

My suggestion is that we should be able to switch servers. PWE granted was just younger branch still getting out there as an actual gaming company when the international version 1st released, but they still should have considered people on the eastern coast and even some in Europe playing this game and should have stuck one of the first 3 servers on the eastern coast to begin with.

Granted yes there should be restrictions on how players can switch characters around separate servers and i even already thought about this and here could be the specs for the whole thing.

1. Chose a character to be switched and the server to transfer them to fill out a form located on the site to transfer the character over.

2. The computer will open the database in the servers where the character will be transferred to and where they are now.

3. After the two server databases are open it will then find the character that was requested to be transfered and will then begin the transfer. This transfer can be held during the weekly maintenance so that way no1 is losing game time and filling out tickets about missing characters in the middle of the week.

4. The player can go onto the new server with the same character.

I thought of a few ways to restrict this as well:

1. Make it so that the transfer only happens on Tuesdays when the servers are down for maintenance.

2. Only transfer 100-200 characters a week, first come first serve. Whoever requests the transfer first will get it first. With this in mind when the character requests a transfer an e-mail should be sent out to them saying when would be the expected day of transfer.

3. Each account can only transfer one character every week or every month(let PWE decide that one), that's it. That way we don't have people server-hopping all the time.

4. The character transferring has to be at least level 30 and outside a faction. I know that the faction bit is kind of dumb but that's how it would have to work.

If you support this idea vote in the poll above and spread the word and if any GMs were to happen to read this I have many other ideas that could help the game like this and would gladly help out in advancing Perfect World even farther.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Zand_pyrite - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Nnn - Sanctuary
    Nnn - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    thats a good idea.
    if u can switch back and forth etc,

but i rekon it wuld be betetr if like (duplicate names)

like for istance two people are named
    "Hello"
    one becomes Hello1 from Heavins Tear and other becomes Hello2 from Sancuary like the order they were created. or wateva. i rekon it'l be easyer, and after that update, like when u can jump from sevrer from server u cant make the same names. The numbers only happen for the ones that are the same that already exist.

cause it wuld be easyr if u culd jump from server to server, easyer if u need help etc, and stuff
    and on the friends list, it says like what server ur in.

cause now with the new two servers, people are gonna be more spread and loose population in some servers..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NNN-SANCTUARY
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    Reivi - Sanctuary Posts: 742 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I wont agree with NNN ..; but a one way transfer should be an available option .
    I look at all the trollers, and Pvpers.. and know they wouldnt have lasted 30sec on Camelot.

Rules= Know your enemy (players and NPCs) gives you more chances to survive.
  • Nnn - Sanctuary
    Nnn - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    short terms, I SUPPORT 100% :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NNN-SANCTUARY
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Doubt this is ever going to happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    That would make opening new servers kinda pointless if you can just jump over.
    I don't like this idea 1 bit.

Though It sucks that the events happen at an inconvenient time for me. I can't be bothered with the events anyway so no worries! =)
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • auraz
    auraz Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The point of the new server was to reduce lag for us east coast users, not for people to start over. You can do that on any server. I for one am pretty new to the game and just finished my FB19 last night. I really don't want to start over but I really want the lesser lag. There's gotta be a way for some people to switch.

So they want to reduce lag for east coast user's but I bet many won't switch because they don't want to start over and leave some characters behind. Seems like this only helps future east coast players. and leaves current patrons in the dust :(
  • demans
    demans Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    o i just started a week ago and live on the east coast, but chacter already lv30 =/, well ya ppl defiantly should be able to trasfer chacters, especially if its as limited as u state, then itm should be fine, sucks for me thoguh since i already got a fractionand my friend plays on the same current sever i am on thoguh XD
  • darqwhisper
    darqwhisper Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Yay nice new servers but I am in the UK and I started on Heavens Tear. I dont want think I have wasted money on a character in there because I bought stuff from the boutique. so for the moment I can not take advantage of the lower pings in the new serversb:cry.

How ever if there was a Character Transfer System. That would be great. There are a couple of ways about doing this.

1:- You limit the accounts to 8 characters as per server like you have at the moment. but you allow the players decide which server they log into.

Pros. This allows players freedom to choose the lower pings for there area and not feel they have wasted real cash on a character.
    They could shop around for cheaper prices on items through sifting through the servers. Find uncamped spawn points.
    Easier to spot Bot coin sellers as they would have to log in on the same server at the same point.
    Cons. could clog a server. if everyone decides to go to that servers.
    Social side of the game might decline due to the people swapping servers alot of the time.

2:- You make a Boutique Stone etc. that allows the player to take there one character to another server by copying all the characters data and transfering it to the server they wish to go to.

Pros. Safe Data transfer.
    Less Chance of clogging a server
    Covers costs of the poor person who has to do the data transfer

Cons. Players have to pay for the option. (but it is more stable that option one. Reasons why :- you would have to store the character data at account login server. Which if crashed there is the posibility of losing character data. you beloved pets and stuff)

anyways I have played a fair number of games so far this has been the better of them all. I have played SOE Mmos WoW (not going to make a comment on that oneb:angry) and Anet Mmos. and this so far is the better of those so .. Nice one guys b:pleasedb:victory

ADDed Please please please bring back Duke Rose Set wanted to buy it for my Girl Friends in real life for her character
  • Zand_pyrite - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    For those of you that supported thank you for it. spread the word of it eventually we might be able to get to transfer. I noticed a few other threads like this one asking to transfer characters. Thank you all and be sure to spread the word.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    I have a forum thread like this as well and I would say option 2 would be easier to pull off rather then option 1.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lindt - Harshlands
    Lindt - Harshlands Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    You guys just don't get it do you? It's understanded that when you pick a server you can't switch. if you wanna complain about all the cash you've spent on your character then just don't switch servers. Switching servers (especially onto the new ones which is what everyone wants to do) destroys the game because things like prices and levels differ from server to server. Imagine all of Conqueror switchin over to Harshlands in 1 go... hmmm wonder how that would turn out?

And that's just a very small portion of the problem with switching servers. Servers are kept seperate for a reason... why not just make everyone GMs if you're gonna do server transfers?
  • Lindt - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    hmmm I think option "server transfers will never happen because they're a bad idea" is good. Maybe someday when you guys grow up you'll understand things like the economics of the game and the varience in level that keep server transfers a horrible idea.
    edited March 2009
    The main issue of this though is to at least have a switch over for 1 week @ least for new servers opening up just in case people from those areas actually want to play with less lag due to how much data is streaming at a time during game play. They should have considered players from Eastern Coast to start with and placed a server there at the 1st release of the game, not after the game has been out in America for nearly 6 months. They basically screwed over the eastern coast players that have been here from the near start and shoved them over for new players.

Economics in a brand new server are highly adaptable and the switch overs could easily be 1-way and to the new servers alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lindt - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    I'm an East coast player and I had absolutely no problems playing on the West Coast servers on a crappy internet connection. I just moved to Harshlands because I wanted to get a fresh start.

Just get over this, it's never gonna happen. Even if you find supporters for this, it's not practicle and there's the intelligent part of the community that doesn't support it because we know that server transfers are not a good idea.

If you want to go on the new servers start a character on them. People are already up to lvl 25+, it isn't really that hard to level. About the money... oh well, too bad for you. I spent hundreds of dollars on my character in HT and I still completely abandoned him for this server.

That's all I'm gonna say on this matter though, because you guys refuse to see how bad an idea this is and will just continue to be like "ZOMG SERVER TRANSFERZ ARE TEH L33TZORZ" despite the many flaws in having them. Have fun discussing and working towards an idea that's got the same chance of being implimented as giving everyone GM powers.
    edited March 2009
    It's not like I'm saying that we should have every1 be Gms I'm mainly saying that they should allow a transfer to lower populated servers. You might not understand this being from the Heaven's Tear server but Sanctuary server is extremely full and really unstable and laggy. They need to get some players out of that server into some of the less populated in order to reduce some of the issues there.

Regardless I can make up any possible way for PWE to go about this if they were to contact me and I'll even volunteer to be the test subject in this because I know for a fact this will help a lot of people who started out months ago that don't want to abandon old characters to go to the new servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    I've been noticing some of the votes. My thanks goes out to those who are supporting and as for those nay sayers I hope you do realize that there are plenty of games that have been out for god knows how long that have had server switches and still kept a stable in-game economy. Do the names EverQuest and WoW ring bells for anyone? Although it did cost and these transfers were one-way they still did have characters transfering to other servers and still maintained a stable in-game economy and they are still going strong. I'm just mainly pointing that out for most people who aren't considering that. I'm not really asking for a free for all transfer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cotto - Heavens Tear
    Cotto - Heavens Tear Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Should we allow to switch? Yes. I live in Jersey and The east-coast server location+east coast time would help me a bundle. Im pretty sure it'll help others too... I invested alot in my character and i dont just want to start all over.

They should at least make it a "one-time option" at least and if people already have the same names on the different server just gives us a option to pick another. It's simple really.. but i seriously doubt they'll even consider this - kinda sucks.
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I will spare you the trouble of arguing this matter any further. As our friendly moderator said, but now with a little bit more certainty, I say this will not be even considered as a possible implementation. Other than the fact that on the technical side it must be a nightmare, the gameplay experience would be ruined for the people who are seeking a new start. For example, let's have a full land-owning guild hop over to the new server, server = owned. It's not an option.
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I will spare you the trouble of arguing this matter any further. As our friendly moderator said, but now with a little bit more certainty, I say this will not be even considered as a possible implementation. Other than the fact that on the technical side it must be a nightmare, the gameplay experience would be ruined for the people who are seeking a new start. For example, let's have a full land-owning guild hop over to the new server, server = owned. It's not an option.

Which is why they can block the transferred characters from doing certain things until the rest of the server is high enough.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Which is why they can block the transferred characters from doing certain things until the rest of the server is high enough.

If they don't have the programming or will power to fix the bleed bug, why on Earth would they consider establishing a char transfer system? Well, maybe if they charged 200$ per transfer they would get everybody and their moms working on the system, but it's dubious anyway. I mean, it's better for them to let people buy all of the CS items all over again, isn't it? They removed the would-be permanent charm packs, why would they change their greedy nature now?
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Viriilink - Lost City
    Viriilink - Lost City Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    This is a dumb thread and $200 dollars isn't much. I played a game that charged $500 dollars per character transfer, but it is a PvE game with dueling as only PvP. This should never be allowed to happen. Like said before, just play PvE until you get high and they transfer character. Does that seem fair? No no NO.
  • Viriilink - Harshlands
    Viriilink - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    This is a dumb thread and $200 dollars isn't much. I played a game that charged $500 dollars per character transfer, but it is a PvE game with dueling as only PvP. This should never be allowed to happen. Like said before, just play PvE until you get high and they transfer character. Does that seem fair? No no NO.

They should just make characters transferable if they're under level 30 then.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009

It's idiots like you that give pvp server players a bad name. Who cares about transferring to a pvp server from a pve? This is all about pvp to pvp and pve to pve. You chose to play on that style of server you should stay there.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Siridara - Heavens Tear
    Siridara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'm in a slightly different boat here, in New Jersey.

I just started playing about 13 days ago on Heavens Tear (PvE). Ten days ago, I bought $20 worth of Zen, and naturally transferred it to the server. Well, my characters are only level 19 & 13, so I haven't touched the mall shop yet.

THEN...yeah, 3 days ago they give us brand new servers on the east coast. /headdesk

Shoot...I don't mind having to remake my characters, they aren't that high. But, if I go to the Dreamweaver (PvE) server, I would have just wasted $20, literally. amiright?

As for character transfers, in general. I see no harm in it after a server has been established for a period of time (World of Warcraft used to wait 3 months before opening a server to transfers). There should be a reasonable per-character fee and limitations to it, as well (like you can only transfer a character once, and you stay within the realm type, no PvE to PvP or vice-versa).
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    Methuseleh - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    all they gotta do is wait til the level 1 territories are owned before they allow the transfers. the server will obviously be stable by then. also make them one way and only allow pvp to pvp, pve to pve. maybe that will take 6 or 7 months but at least it could be possible someday. something for people to look forward to who play on west coast server but live in east coast.

(i dont think theyd have to actually wait that long but thats just to put an end to everyone whining saying it would **** up TW. Sadly I dont see them ever doing this.)
  • Viriilink - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    It's idiots like you that give pvp server players a bad name. Who cares about transferring to a pvp server from a pve? This is all about pvp to pvp and pve to pve. You chose to play on that style of server you should stay there.

Yes, lets have the people who couldn't dominate on their server transfer their character on another server because they're lazy to make new character and level. In some cases, the cost for transfer will not balance out the time required to get your character to that level.

Zoe, I'm fine as long I'm not classified lower than you.

Oh by the way, I just notice I can switch avatars and vote again on polls.
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Yes, lets have the people who couldn't dominate on their server transfer their character on another server because they're lazy to make new character and level. In some cases, the cost for transfer will not balance out the time required to get your character to that level.

Zoe, I'm fine as long I'm not classified lower than you.

Why dont u read my post above? no one would be dominating if they waited awhile b4 the transfer. ur missing the whole point of the topic. its not for people who are lazy or want to dominate a new server. its for people who live in the east coast that want to play on a ****ing east coast server. am i lazy cuz i dont wanna spend $60 for me and my wife to get remarried on another server? not to mention all other costs and time spent. It dont matter cuz theyre never gonna allow it, most likely, but ur completely missing the point.

(i think ppl should just forget about this ever happening. In fact they should probably just close this thread. its never gonna happen. cuz not to mention the hassle it would be, this is also a way to make more money.)
  • Viriilink - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    I didn't even see your post until I clicked preview. I'm going to say I have a better feeling about transfering after the server has establish itself for some time following the PvP to PvP and PvE to PvE. Just the cost of transfer is a concern. I only read first post and Skyannie's last post on here. $200 and $500 dollars isn't much of a cost for something you work trying to level for few months.
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    I didn't even see your post until I clicked preview. I'm going to say I have a better feeling about transfering after the server has establish itself for some time following the PvP to PvP and PvE to PvE. Just the cost of transfer is a concern. I only read first post and Skyannie's last post on here. $200 and $500 dollars isn't much of a cost for something you work trying to level for few months.

oh, i see. yeah i agree that transfers wouldnt be practical right now but maybe when TW map is owned completely. tho i wouldnt pay 200$ for it or anywhere near that. oh well im not gonna worry about it, cuz if they ever do do it, it wont be anytime soon. like i said, prolly never

(they knew this issue would arise and im sure they know exactly what theyre doing and what they plan to do in the future. theyre not gonna allow transfers just cuz of a thread.)
    edited March 2009
    I would agree that they should wait on the transfers until some of the new players in there and a little higher and some of the territory is owned. But overall there have been a few times when lower leveled factions taken over the land ofthe higher levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.