Sword fighting Venomancer

jaquille
jaquille Posts: 2 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Venomancer
Hi guys I am new to the game so i still dont know to much. I am making a venomance and I think I want to use swords. I just dont know the best way tp update my stats. Should i put most on str and 1 on vitallity and dex everytime ??
Post edited by jaquille on

Comments

• Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to be frank, your not gonna get a favorable response. There is no reason a venomancer should use swords. They cant use ANY of thier skills with swords, so there is no correct stat distribution for doing so. If you want swords go play a blademaster.
  • Cooki - Heavens Tear
    Cooki - Heavens Tear Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Sadly..... That's dumb.
  • claw66
    claw66 Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    do you maby mean magic swords? if so than go for form.
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Magic swords are used for both fox form and mage form, magic skills since it's a magic weapon >.>;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    jaquille wrote: »
    Hi guys I am new to the game so i still dont know to much. I am making a venomance and I think I want to use swords. I just dont know the best way tp update my stats. Should i put most on str and 1 on vitallity and dex everytime ??

Melee swords require a lot of Dex, and most who go the Melee Veno route use Axes/Hammers, but if this is your first venomancer I'd suggest using a mage build to get a good feel for the class.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    most who go the Melee Veno route use Axes/Hammers

No.. most who go melee veno use fox form. It's the people who insist on being different who divide their time between using axes and regretting doing so.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    No.. most who go melee veno use fox form. It's the people who insist on being different who divide their time between using axes and regretting doing so.

HEAVY MELEE VENO

Not Heavy Foxform Veno

• swiftlikeafox
    swiftlikeafox Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    HEAVY MELEE VENO

Not Heavy Foxform Veno

No such thing except for a noob picking up an axe and playing around with it..... it's not a serious build
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    No such thing except for a noob picking up an axe and playing around with it..... it's not a serious build

So, what you're saying, is that there are no high level heavy armor venos running around using same level axes/hammers exclusively, and if they are then they are noobs who "picked up an axe"?

Something to note:
    There are the common builds that players use, then there are the ultra-rare builds that only a few use. The pure Int build is an extreme build that would have minimal str for the weapon, max Mag, no additional vit and dex. Very fragile, but very high magic damage output. On the other extreme is the high strength, enough dex to use the weapon/armor, enough vit to not die and no additional magic. Good survivability against most mobs, no magic damage, high physical damage output. Most builds fall between the two extremes, but this doesn't mean that no one will ever use an extreme build, and it doesn't make them a "noob" to do so.

• fuzzles
    edited March 2009
    So, what you're saying, is that there are no high level heavy armor venos running around using same level axes/hammers exclusively, and if they are then they are noobs who "picked up an axe"?

Something to note:
    There are the common builds that players use, then there are the ultra-rare builds that only a few use. The pure Int build is an extreme build that would have minimal str for the weapon, max Mag, no additional vit and dex. Very fragile, but very high magic damage output. On the other extreme is the high strength, enough dex to use the weapon/armor, enough vit to not die and no additional magic. Good survivability against most mobs, no magic damage, high physical damage output. Most builds fall between the two extremes, but this doesn't mean that no one will ever use an extreme build, and it doesn't make them a "noob" to do so.

No, there is a viable extreme strength build... except it tends to use fox form and the quest reward wand which doesn't need any magic to use. Any veno who uses axes is just messing around.
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Consider that all of the fox form or human skills both require magic weapons to cast, any veno running around with an axe or hammer would not even be able to heal themselves.

I have enough str and dex to use an axe, but I preffer my skills...it's alot..well.. logical.
    If anyone is looking to use swords/axes/hammers or any melee type weapon they should consider either blademaster or barb, barbarians generally tend to stick to dual axes though. Blademasters have sets of skills designed for each melee weapon type.

Also on a side note, the heavy fox generally never has enough spare points for vit. They have other ways around it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    No, there is a viable extreme strength build... except it tends to use fox form and the quest reward wand which doesn't need any magic to use. Any veno who uses axes is just messing around.

Let's recap for the half-wit you are.

The OP stated using swords and a high Str build which means they figured venos were like barbs and normally used melee weapons.

I said that using swords in particular wasn't adviseable, and to use a mage build instead.

Does that get it through your thick skull, fuzzles? Maybe? Yes?

Later I also said it was very RARE for a veno to use Axes/Hammers extensively, but it did happen from time to time.

RARE meaning it usually does not happen.

Does this make any sense at all? Can you wrap your brain around something that simple, fuzzles? Maybe? Yes?

• ThommiX - Lost City
    ThommiX - Lost City Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited March 2009

The OP stated using swords and a high Str build which means they figured venos were like barbs and normally used melee weapons.

I said that using swords in particular wasn't adviseable, and to use a mage build instead.

Later I also said it was very RARE for a veno to use Axes/Hammers extensively, but it did happen from time to time.

Does this make any sense at all? Can you wrap your brain around something that simple, fuzzles? Maybe? Yes?

Just guessing, but i think he meant that foxes who use axes cant use ANY of their skills. Therefore, its not a build to wear axes, Just messing around or being stupid. I think he also meant that the real heavy build for foxes uses a magic weapon which doesnt need magic,so the heavy fox can still use its skills, unlike with axe/sword or any melee weapon.

Sure heavy foxes can wear axes,they just lose all skill dmg, all their skills and will rely on their pet to do the actual damage. Not to mention losing all debuffs from skills. Meaning its stupid to wear melee weapon when your skills use a magic one, thats essentially just gimped char.

Though on pve against most monsters it doesnt matter,axe fox just kills slower than a magic weapon one i would guess. On pvp however, the difference is huge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

-Lost city-
  • crackerchad
    crackerchad Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    You know, at low lvl.. sure heavy melee veno is fine with melee wep..i've done it and it works for both pvp and pve, tho.. once your higher lvl it isnt good, now idc what you use rly lol.. if you make it work, good job xD

But, before you try it.. a heavy melee veno is HARD to use.. if it works for you, again, go ahead and do it ^^
  • Sylvini - Heavens Tear
    Sylvini - Heavens Tear Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, but you can't use any of the Veno spells with an axe. Why not just make an axe BM and get the skills?
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Not saying I support it, or oppose it, but think of a high end Axe Veno. They carry around the starter staff to use spells when they have to. Such as the Self heals, or Bramble Guard. They'd be the tank for their pets. You'd have the advantages of those skills, minus the skills of a BM or Barb. It, in theory, is a viable build. It could very well prove to have some power behind it. Think about a scenario here. What if said Veno has a 'Nix? Ignore the pet, kill the veno, right? In this case, the veno can swing back. And, will outlast your attacks for the 'Nix to kill you. This might very well turn into a good PvP build.

Way I figure, play your own builds the way you want. You **** up too badly, you get a couple of restat scrolls. I'm happy with mine. Nowhere NEAR a cookie cutter. I get called Noob because of mine. Does it work for me? Oh, yeah. Would it work for most of you? I seriously doubt it.
    edited March 2009
    Not saying I support it, or oppose it, but think of a high end Axe Veno. They carry around the starter staff to use spells when they have to. Such as the Self heals, or Bramble Guard. They'd be the tank for their pets. You'd have the advantages of those skills, minus the skills of a BM or Barb. It, in theory, is a viable build. It could very well prove to have some power behind it. Think about a scenario here. What if said Veno has a 'Nix? Ignore the pet, kill the veno, right? In this case, the veno can swing back. And, will outlast your attacks for the 'Nix to kill you. This might very well turn into a good PvP build.

Way I figure, play your own builds the way you want. You **** up too badly, you get a couple of restat scrolls. I'm happy with mine. Nowhere NEAR a cookie cutter. I get called Noob because of mine. Does it work for me? Oh, yeah. Would it work for most of you? I seriously doubt it.
    Then you might as well just go heavy armor foxform, use a magic weapon. Works the same way but you get the bonuse pdef and accuracy of foxform, and get to use the fox skills. Even though its a magic weapon, you'll still be hitting higher then a random Sword/axe veno.

There is NO viable reason to use that build.
  • fuzzles
    edited March 2009

I was just minding my own business, doing my best to avoid stepping on any toes, trying to tone down the flaming.. because apparently a lot of people here are oversensitive and whiny... and apparently after one warning I'm on my last warning, so I can't actually flame you.. Yet here you are throwing around buckets of idiocy all over the forums, like a monkey throwing faeces. I mean that in the nicest way possible, please don't take offense.

I am only asking this out of genuine concern for your mental health.. but are you out of your **** monkey-buggering tree? You don't read your own posts, do you?
    Melee swords require a lot of Dex, and most who go the Melee Veno route use Axes/Hammers, but if this is your first venomancer I'd suggest using a mage build to get a good feel for the class.
    I love you as a fellow human being, and you are entitled to your own opinion, even if it is flat out wrong, like it is in this instance. You can't help being wrong (sometimes). It isn't your fault (sometimes). Yes, you suggested that the OP use a mage build. Good job, cookie for you. But you accidentally appear to be completely wrong regarding anything related to melee veno builds. I hope I'm not offending you by pointing out just how ungodly wrong you are. Not to mention that this above post of yours directly contradicts later posts.

And then this is your next fantastic pearl of wisdom:
    HEAVY MELEE VENO

Not Heavy Foxform Veno

I don't want to confuse you, so I'll type slowly, and in bold:
    Most melee venos are fox form venos.

I'll pause a bit to let that sink in.

Got it?

Good.

Now here's another big important statement coming, for you to try to wrap your dreadfully small mind around... ready? Heeeeere we goooo... wheeeee!
    There is no reason to use axes as a veno. In melee, fox form is better in every single way

Wow. That was fun! What a rush!

Frankly.. if you don't get why you're wrong by now, Sigr, then you never will.

So good bye. Don't bother hanging around this thread anymore. You're not wanted. And good luck in dealing with your unfortunate handicap (I'm referring to idiocy). I love you. b:heart
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Then you might as well just go heavy armor foxform, use a magic weapon. Works the same way but you get the bonuse pdef and accuracy of foxform, and get to use the fox skills. Even though its a magic weapon, you'll still be hitting higher then a random Sword/axe veno.

There is NO viable reason to use that build.

Hmm. Perhaps. We won't really know the truth of the matter until someone takes the build to the top, I suppose. I've seen, and partied with, some builds that some would consider weird. One, for instance, was a Melee Cleric. Used swords, and kept the starter wand to heal himself. Seemed to work somewhat well for him. He was soloing most things. Another was a barb wearing robes. Well, Robes, and Heavy Armor. He had a combination of them on. I guess he wanted to have an equivilant to Light Armor, without having to keep the Dex up. He alternated depending on what he was fighting. Some times full Armor, sometimes full Robe, sometimes both. It was quite interesting to see.

You know... I'm curious if anyone actually has made an Axe Veno. It would be quite fun to do, honestly. Being able to look at the nay-sayers and saying "I DID IT."

On a sidenote... Someone in my Faction has a Sword Veno. She has the starter wand, and only uses Swords. Never switches to Fox. Level 53, last I checked, so it seems like swords, at least, are a viable build.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have a veno friend that uses melee swords mainly. He got to level 70 that way.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
    edited March 2009
    Hmm. Perhaps. We won't really know the truth of the matter until someone takes the build to the top, I suppose. I've seen, and partied with, some builds that some would consider weird. One, for instance, was a Melee Cleric. Used swords, and kept the starter wand to heal himself. Seemed to work somewhat well for him. He was soloing most things. Another was a barb wearing robes. Well, Robes, and Heavy Armor. He had a combination of them on. I guess he wanted to have an equivilant to Light Armor, without having to keep the Dex up. He alternated depending on what he was fighting. Some times full Armor, sometimes full Robe, sometimes both. It was quite interesting to see.

You know... I'm curious if anyone actually has made an Axe Veno. It would be quite fun to do, honestly. Being able to look at the nay-sayers and saying "I DID IT."

On a sidenote... Someone in my Faction has a Sword Veno. She has the starter wand, and only uses Swords. Never switches to Fox. Level 53, last I checked, so it seems like swords, at least, are a viable build.
    Just because you can, doesnt mean it's a good idea. Those builds are just for people fooling around, proving to other people they can. In every way the other established builds are better, except the debatable "fun" factor. Which in my mind not using a class to it's stengths(or any skills for that matter) would really make it pointless to even be playing said class.

You can use swords/axes with any class, combine that with not using skills(you can do that with any class too), and it sounds like the player just wants some cookiecutter **** and slash/point and click game, and just happened to pick veno because they wanted animal ears. Theres no viable build for it, and no reason to.

With foxform and a magic weapon, you'd have higher attack(thanks to melee mastery), higher accuracy, higher pdef, and ontop of that get to use skills, theres no reason to play that build other then for sh*ts and giggles, or to prove you can.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I've yet to see a build for a veno that doesn't use a magic weapon that I would consider viable. No skills at all take away such a huge part of the game that I don't see how you could even consider it, even for pve.

I saw a fox using the level 70 hh bow the other day, and was just confused. I mean I guess you could do ok damage, but having to stop between mobs, switch to a wand, heal the pet, switch back, and then kill another seemed really slow to me. Also you could only tank one mob at a time with a normal pet (nix and herc maybe two).

Someone above mentioned the veno being the tank for their pet. That makes no sense. The veno self heal skill is on a 5 minute cooldown. The pet heal skill is spammable. There's a reason for that. On top of that, if you're tanking, that means you're using pots or hiero to survive, and your armor is taking hits. Those costs add up a lot compared to a normal fox who barely spends anything and makes nothing but profit while grinding
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Marian_anna - Heavens Tear
    Marian_anna - Heavens Tear Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    My Venomancer actually only uses swords be it double swords or one big one. So far it's worked out really well for me so I'm not gonna knock someone for considering it. I'm not much of a magic user anyways. I always put at least 4 points each level up on strength then I go to Dexterity and add 1 or 2. Look I know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's the path I chose and it works for me. =/
    edited March 2009
    My Venomancer actually only uses swords be it double swords or one big one. So far it's worked out really well for me so I'm not gonna knock someone for considering it. I'm not much of a magic user anyways. I always put at least 4 points each level up on strength then I go to Dexterity and add 1 or 2. Look I know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's the path I chose and it works for me. =/
    Never said it wouldnt -work- per se, but theres no reason to. If you want to swing around swords, wouldnt you want to use skills? Then you should go blademaster. If you just dont like magic, you could use foxform, which would give you more physical attack then using a plain sword, not to mention the added skill damag, physical defense, and accuracy.

So yes, you CAN, but theres no reason to. You end up being a super weak blademaster with no skills, and a pet to tank for you. Foxform is in every way, shape, and form better... and still melee damage.

This isnt a debate if you can or not, any class can, and anyone with a determination can have fun with it, doesn't mean its good.

Theres no such thing as a "best" build, but there are bad builds. Though, people can make fun out of said bad builds too, and it is a game afterall so thats what matters.. whats fun to you. Though its non advisable for anyone to use such a build as it deters from the actual class, and you might as well take advantage of the class you playing. My two cents.
  • Marian_anna - Heavens Tear
    Marian_anna - Heavens Tear Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Never said it wouldnt -work- per se, but theres no reason to. If you want to swing around swords, wouldnt you want to use skills? Then you should go blademaster. If you just dont like magic, you could use foxform, which would give you more physical attack then using a plain sword, not to mention the added skill damag, physical defense, and accuracy.

So yes, you CAN, but theres no reason to. You end up being a super weak blademaster with no skills, and a pet to tank for you. Foxform is in every way, shape, and form better... and still melee damage.

This isnt a debate if you can or not, any class can, and anyone with a determination can have fun with it, doesn't mean its good.

Theres no such thing as a "best" build, but there are bad builds. Though, people can make fun out of said bad builds too, and it is a game afterall so thats what matters.. whats fun to you. Though its non advisable for anyone to use such a build as it deters from the actual class, and you might as well take advantage of the class you playing. My two cents.

Yes I understand. I do use FoxForm. Just not all the time
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Once upon a little while ago when I had my old guild, I had a bow-veno member. Never made it past level 15. She realised not being able to use skills was actually a major drawback and went blademaster instead. Not saying anything is ..uhm wrong with being a pure melee/human form/sword/axe/melee fighter but beleive me when I say..

you're seriously going to gimp yourself in everyway. I hardly see how it's a viable build for pvp even, a pure arcane veno (the build least suited to pvp out of all classes) could easily cream one o.O. I don't know what this whole deal with this build being able to tank is but with my current build i'm able to tank bosses with a cleric...+ I can use skills +I have way more Pdef /Mdef+ I have way more attack + I can use soul +heals if needed.

Suit yourself I guess though.

@Marian_anna
    You'd need to be equipping a magic weapon to switch to fox form though, and you can't change weapons once in it so you're still using the magic weapon to inflict physical damage o.o;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    While I am not here to encourage using a veno build that pretty much keeps you from using any of your skills... I would like to point out this thread for those asking about others who have done this.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=167331

Carry on. *grabs popcorn*
    edited March 2009
    truekossy wrote:
    While I am not here to encourage using a veno build that pretty much keeps you from using any of your skills... I would like to point out this thread for those asking about others who have done this.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=167331

Carry on. *grabs popcorn*
    Not exactly the best example, according to that the person hasnt leveled in about 40 days, meaning they probably quit because of how bad it was. Also the evidence of how "good" it is, was during a spark errupt.

I'm done with this topic, if someone wants to use the bad build by all means go ahead.
  • HimeJunsei - Sanctuary
    HimeJunsei - Sanctuary Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    hm... might as well make a wizard and make him use axes. why not? lame mobs will toy with you, but, who cares, you can shock everyone:) throw in a bling or two and there, the most exotic build in the game!
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    I was just minding my own business, doing my best to avoid stepping on any toes, trying to tone down the flaming.. because apparently a lot of people here are oversensitive and whiny... and apparently after one warning I'm on my last warning, so I can't actually flame you..

Your best option, fuzzles, is to simply stop posting.