Do wizzies really one-shot everything?

devildee
devildee Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Wizard
Hey I made a wiz because they seem like the most appealing class to my playstyle. I've played a wiz class before in Silkroad Online. Are the Perfect World wizzies the same as those? In sro, wizards literally 1-shot EVERYTHING just with an average weapon. But they also can take no damage whatsoever. Some people actually quit the game when wizards came out because they are seen as unfair. You have to have spent some serious cash (like $1500+ worth of stuff) to have the gear to tank a wiz. Even then they would still hit you for about half your hp. And if your expensive gear isn't mag based garms, you will still get one-shot or come close to it.

I'm just concerned in this game because I'm getting mixed messages. Some people say pure mag 1 shots everything and some say they are just gimp and the damage won't make up for that. They say LA is better.

So far, I am going robe and doing 9 mag/1str every two lvls. I hope this char turns out the way I'm hoping.
Post edited by devildee on

Comments

• Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Not gonna happen.
    You need a crit in order to one hit another class of your level(exception of barbs, they always seem to outlast you).. unless you spark + crit which is pretty rare.
    Don't have your hopes too high.
  • devildee
    edited February 2009
    lol so wtf is the point of pure mag wizzies? This is what I'm getting so far :

1.) Bad Pve.
    2.) Bad pvp till endgame (lmao).
    3.) Noone wants them for parties.
    4.) Some other classes have close to same dmg but none of the cons.

I'm gonna reroll a str based class like barb...they seem the most OP because of their massive hp.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    A barbarian is a vit based class.
    The point of being a mage is to be a mage. That's all.
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1) 60+ we are great at PvP as most mobs are magical, and really about 48+ becuase you can grind on foxwings which brush right off your shoulder

2) Not good solo till endgame but we can be nasty in group PvP. There are some good solo PvP'ers out there. Really depends on your PvP style. Yes we can one hit other robe classes without a spark as long as you enjoy backstabbing and not a clean 1v1 fight

3) People will want you in parties. I have never had any trouble. DD's are wanted to kill everything as long as you know what you are doing and don't take the mobs aggro all the time for boss runs/fbs, and for zhens at least 2 DD's are always wanted

4) True to archers but its less of a challenge and in my opinion not as fun to play. Archers basically use the same skills all the time. Click and shoot. There is not as much thought to an archer or creativity. For PvP ad PvE we need to plan an attack on everything

None of us rolled wizzard cause it's easy. The challenge makes it fun, and endgame, well look out for the ones that stuck with it
    b:bye
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1)

None of us rolled wizzard cause it's easy. The challenge makes it fun, and endgame, well look out for the ones that stuck with it

Lol +1 to that! b:laugh
  • devildee
    edited February 2009
    lol been there done that. b:laugh I played plenty of games where certain classes "get better" endgame. It's never true...lmao.

I will just continue with my cleric.

Hey since I'm bored, I will even give an example :

2moons - Bagis and Segnales were called "King and Queen of endgame pvp" by everyone when 2moons started. So I made a segnale. Few months later I'm regulary getting rick-rolled by everyone and all the people that said segs "get better" endgame have disappeared.
  • duvall
    duvall Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    devildee - I think you've got it right. Reading other posts wizards are supposed to come into their own at level 90, or 100 depending on who you believe.

I have played mages in other games and they are far more balanced than PW.

I rerolled my mage for a blademaster, a much more blanced class imho.

In PvE I've tried grinding the same areas with a lvl 44 Wizard then a lvl 44 Cleric. The cleric was far more successful, and thanks to the faster recasting did far more damage.

Play a wizard if you want other classes to look good.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    But, devil... segnales were awesome!
    I could never live without my curse field :(
  • devildee
    edited February 2009
    Hrmm...so far I've been playing cleric. I'v gotten my cleric to lvl 25 but it's one thing I've noticed. You truly never see any wizards...just tanks and healers. I had a group of ppl help me with my fb19 and it was all clerics and blademasters. Seems kind of dull.

I might play a mage to 40 or so just to be different. Lol
  • Mizorie - Lost City
    Mizorie - Lost City Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    devildee wrote: »
    Hrmm...so far I've been playing cleric. I'v gotten my cleric to lvl 25 but it's one thing I've noticed. You truly never see any wizards...just tanks and healers. I had a group of ppl help me with my fb19 and it was all clerics and blademasters. Seems kind of dull.

I might play a mage to 40 or so just to be different. Lol

I see quite a few wizzies, but maybe its just I look for them and notice them more then other classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dalamaar: Mizorie you have no soul.
  • papano
    papano Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1)

3) People will want you in parties. I have never had any trouble. DD's are wanted to kill everything as long as you know what you are doing and don't take the mobs aggro all the time for boss runs/fbs, and for zhens at least 2 DD's are always wanted

LOL true.. man 1 questiong.. how do i avoid to steal the agro?? bcs in some hh sometimes i steal the agro.. and i dont know how :/

(new wizard >cleric)
    till lvl 65 is kinda hard to lvl up, after that.. u can kill mobs without get even touch by them
    since lvl 74 i kill bunnies (77) without being harm.. u just need to know how to do it
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    papano wrote: »
    LOL true.. man 1 questiong.. how do i avoid to steal the agro?? bcs in some hh sometimes i steal the agro.. and i dont know how :/

Stop spamming skills, let the tanker keep the aggro. With time you'll learn how to control your casting speed/power so to avoid taking it. In short, cast slower or you will get yourself killed. Also, using ultis or sparks on freshly aggroed mobs is a bad idea.
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Is there an "end lvl" (in other words a year) class that doesn't pwn?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Stop spamming skills, let the tanker keep the aggro. With time you'll learn how to control your casting speed/power so to avoid taking it. In short, cast slower or you will get yourself killed. Also, using ultis or sparks on freshly aggroed mobs is a bad idea.

Yep, just like Sky said
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    duvall wrote: »
    devildee - I think you've got it right. Reading other posts wizards are supposed to come into their own at level 90, or 100 depending on who you believe.

I have played mages in other games and they are far more balanced than PW.

I rerolled my mage for a blademaster, a much more blanced class imho.

In PvE I've tried grinding the same areas with a lvl 44 Wizard then a lvl 44 Cleric. The cleric was far more successful, and thanks to the faster recasting did far more damage.

Play a wizard if you want other classes to look good.

Well same areas for grinding doesn't make sense. A wiz should grind on water, fire and earth mobs since we can boost our defense on those mobs to the point where they can barely touch you if they hit, and you will wipe them out in 2 or 3 shots. A wiz shouldnt get hit more then 1 or 2 if at all. Lower levels where its mostly Phys mobs its a bit harder and the mag mobs are harder to find but come 60+ they are everywhere.

People say long run wiz pays off, lvl 44 is not long run, it's basically the begining

Also PW is not other games so what happens there is completely irrelevant

Again, i will stress, most don't say Wiz is the best, and def not the easiest. Not many do it becuase 0-90 is hard as hell, its a challenge, but doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun. To each their own. One thing is for sure, 90+ wiz is not joke.
  • Dauthus - Sanctuary
    Dauthus - Sanctuary Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2009

1.) Bad Pve.

I'm gonna reroll a str based class like barb...they seem the most OP because of their massive hp.

1. Pure mag Wizards actually rock with PvE. You kill quickly and more often than not, you don't get hit.
    2. I don't PvP so I really have no input on this. I do know that Wizards are valued in situations like TW though.
    3. I've NEVER had any issues getting into a party, even outside my faction. lol In fact, I'm invited to go to more stuff than I have time for so I find myself turning down parties.
    4. The only "con" with a Wizard is low HP, but seeing as mobs might hit you once or twice, you're usually fine. Ranged phys mobs can be a pain, but you'll learn how to effectively take them on after a few mobs.

The biggest thing about a pure Wizard is you have to be willing to learn how to play the class. I have known some people to start a new Wizard only to quit because it is "too hard" and they keep dying. I rarely die and never died at lower lvls except for my FB 19 and FB 29... lol

It's all in how you play it, which is true with pretty much any class in the game.
  • hysteriumx
    hysteriumx Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    lol been there done that. b:laugh I played plenty of games where certain classes "get better" endgame. It's never true...lmao.

I will just continue with my cleric.

Hey since I'm bored, I will even give an example :

2moons - Bagis and Segnales were called "King and Queen of endgame pvp" by everyone when 2moons started. So I made a segnale. Few months later I'm regulary getting rick-rolled by everyone and all the people that said segs "get better" endgame have disappeared.

segs were never, ever considered good at pvp lol.. dunno who you talked to about that.
    btw, your name reminds me of devilds from trieste, that you?

- wizards, as everyone else is pretty much saying, get decent 89+. it's definitely not an easy class getting there, but if you like a challenge and like seeing big numbers on your screen, i'd say wizard is a good option for you.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    hysteriumx wrote: »
    segs were never, ever considered good at pvp lol.. dunno who you talked to about that.
    btw, your name reminds me of devilds from trieste, that you?

- wizards, as everyone else is pretty much saying, get decent 89+. it's definitely not an easy class getting there, but if you like a challenge and like seeing big numbers on your screen, i'd say wizard is a good option for you.

no if u like big numbers archers are better

way more crits and dps
  • scionofchaos
    scionofchaos Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1. Pure mag Wizards actually rock with PvE. You kill quickly and more often than not, you don't get hit.
    2. I don't PvP so I really have no input on this. I do know that Wizards are valued in situations like TW though.
    3. I've NEVER had any issues getting into a party, even outside my faction. lol In fact, I'm invited to go to more stuff than I have time for so I find myself turning down parties.

1. Got to agree there.
    2. 7 AoEs. I think that says something about the type of PvP we were designed for. Outside of TW it mostly depends on who see whom first
    3. same. Even had a barb once ask me to tank a boss for him. That speaks for itself

way more crits and dps

I will not agree to that until you show me an archer that can surpass a 22k crit.
    Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
    Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
    Do not walk beside me, This twisted road I must walk alone
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I will not agree to that until you show me an archer that can surpass a 22k crit.

Just to clarify for those who try to show a 22k+ crit on an archer. He means PvP obvouisly so atleast an 88k+ crit in PvE.

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted though.
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Just to clarify for those who try to show a 22k+ crit on an archer. He means PvP obvouisly so atleast an 88k+ crit in PvE.

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted though.

Under adequate conditions Haiz can pull off 30k+ PvP crit. b:surrender
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1. Got to agree there.
    2. 7 AoEs. I think that says something about the type of PvP we were designed for. Outside of TW it mostly depends on who see whom first
    3. same. Even had a barb once ask me to tank a boss for him. That speaks for itself

in TW i got hit with a 12k hit from an arrow so archers can probably do it too
  • Mosabi - Heavens Tear
    Mosabi - Heavens Tear Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    we are there for a reason dont you get it????I bet you all dont.

we are there to make other classes feel better about themselves we are on a noble quest to make other ppl feel content so the suckest suckish player in the game will not quit the game he will say "atleast I pwn all the wizards :)"

so weall must work hand in hand to fulfill this noble quest...
    Is Back once more.

sorry med school needs some time.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Under adequate conditions Haiz can pull off 30k+ PvP crit. b:surrender

...ouch? :D
  • hysteriumx
    hysteriumx Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2009

way more crits and dps

wizard has higher overall damage/crit dmg than an archer will, the archer just crits more often.
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I have posted this screeny way too many times, but since Skyannie had to bring it up.

Shazzam.

And here's some stuff that happened in last nights TW. Ballin was just triple fury me going pew pew with gush and pyrogram(for people saying you can't kill a WB solo). Then the one below that is just a normal tempest nothing special really.

By the way in the screen shot where I was doing 15k, that was with a level 10 warriors dragon that doubles your damage and then I was also used triple fury and then blade tempested. So under right conditions, yeah the damage can be dished out.
  • ShadowDrag - Lost City
    ShadowDrag - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2009

1.) Bad Pve.

ppl like u have probably been 3 shoted by a pure mage and now u just dont want ppl to make pure mages, ur an idiot, ppl want mages in the squad because how fast they can kill, ever heard of a full bm zen party?b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devildee
    edited February 2009
    ppl like u have probably been 3 shoted by a pure mage and now u just dont want ppl to make pure mages, ur an idiot, ppl want mages in the squad because how fast they can kill, ever heard of a full bm zen party?b:pleased

lol wtf? People like me just started the game. I got a 2x cleric and a lvl 15 mage.

That list is what I got from high lvl mages on these forums.

Most normal people can pull from the 1st post that I'm a new player. And I even state my level down in the thread. So whos the idiot now? :o
  • Julyah - Sanctuary
    Julyah - Sanctuary Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    So whos the idiot now? :o
    The one calling other people idiots because of their opinions (or like in this case one opinion)

Back on topic, I started the game not long ago and currently I have a Venomancer, a Wizard and an Archer. All nearing lv20. Can't really make up my mind on what I like the most, just that the Veno has lost some interest even though I created it first thinking this will be my class.
    As for the Wizard I really haven't seen it hard so far. Of course I tend to have some troubles if I accidentally do a double pull or get a mob with extra life or increased magic resistance, but other than that and my HP charm it isn't bad at all.
    [Tech Support Junkie]
    Player 1: "I dont believe this is an off-topic worthy thread."
    Player 2: "It's not even worth it for lower depths. What do we do?"
    Player 3: "Delete it?"
    Mod: "Moving this to tech support."
    edited March 2009
    Do I 1 hit everything? HELL NO!! I'm pretty much a pure Mag build witha few extra stats in Dex and Vit for the heck of it. Ok so not for the heck of it. I have 20 Dex so that when I equip the Rank 2 ring I have a 3% crit hit rate.

I probably do about 2-4 hits per each mob, without ever getting touched unless they are a ranged mag or archer mob.

Now any mobs or other players who are 10 to 15 lvls lower than me? I can 1-2 hit them with ease. And with my seal and essential sutra I can whipe out most players my level rather quickly unless they're really good.
This discussion has been closed.