what is the best flying pet to have

Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear
Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Venomancer
so i was wondering i have a sawfly lvl 36. its good and all but i was wondering if thier is a better flying battle pet to have and if so were can i get it?
thanks
Post edited by Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    No, unless you want to buy a phoenix.
    Sawfly rules for damage.

Im always surprised to see so many Veno's nerf themselves with foxwings.
    (flying pig is also a poor damage dealer)
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    No, unless you want to buy a phoenix.
    Sawfly rules for damage.

Im always surprised to see so many Veno's nerf themselves with foxwings.
    (flying pig is also a poor damage dealer)
    Agreed, funnier because thier excuse is because of the screeching.
  • Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear
    Flauschkatze - Heavens Tear Posts: 998 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    if you're talented, lucky or rich you could try to get a windwalking pig^^

it's a really good p/m tank... but does less dmg than the sawfly.
    ~~Inactive~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Torhn for coloring!
  • ArwenFrost - Heavens Tear
    ArwenFrost - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    best flying pet = phoenix
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I never really agreed with the sawfly as the best flying pet. Even when my golem is tanking it is popping up 900-1000 damage every 2 seconds, while my spells are hitting for 2000-4000 every 3 seconds. A pet which does 500 points more damage but requires me to heal it more often during the fight is probably decreasing my DPS. (If you're talking about fighting mobs which don't require you to heal your pet until after the fight, then what does it matter which pet you use?)

So to me, the pet's job is to tank so I can dump damage onto the mob with minimal time spent healing my pet. My preference is the pig. I feel it's the easiest rare to catch - usually it flies around for a good 15-45 seconds before it's captured, so channeling gear isn't as much of a factor. Took me only 8 or 10 tries to capture 2 (one for me, one for a friend). Several times there were only 4-5 venos there (including me).

The sawfly does make sense in PvP, where your target is probably going to attack you instead of the pet. So you want him dead ASAP.
  • Dauthus - Sanctuary
    Dauthus - Sanctuary Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So... how's the golem's damage against flying mobs? :p;)

The only reason to use the sawfly on the ground would be for PvP/TW if you taught it flesh ream, or to level it without leveling too fast yourself due to the higher xp of air mobs. Other than that, it makes a decent pet for killing airborne mobs since it's attack wouldn't be reduced. But yeah, I would agree for grounded mobs there are better options.
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I never really agreed with the sawfly as the best flying pet. Even when my golem is tanking it is popping up 900-1000 damage every 2 seconds, while my spells are hitting for 2000-4000 every 3 seconds. A pet which does 500 points more damage but requires me to heal it more often during the fight is probably decreasing my DPS. (If you're talking about fighting mobs which don't require you to heal your pet until after the fight, then what does it matter which pet you use?)

So to me, the pet's job is to tank so I can dump damage onto the mob with minimal time spent healing my pet. My preference is the pig. I feel it's the easiest rare to catch - usually it flies around for a good 15-45 seconds before it's captured, so channeling gear isn't as much of a factor. Took me only 8 or 10 tries to capture 2 (one for me, one for a friend). Several times there were only 4-5 venos there (including me).

The sawfly does make sense in PvP, where your target is probably going to attack you instead of the pet. So you want him dead ASAP.

I'd have to strongly agree with this.

I've had a Sawfly for ages, and recently (finally) acquired a Piggy and have been levelling him up.

The sawfly, while having impressive damage, was always a hassle solo due to it taking large amounts of damage, dying quickly when a second mob aggros (and before I have a chance to get it to claim hate before healing), and just generally being pretty high-maintenance.

Although my piggy hasn't caught up to my level yet, it's looking like I'm going to be much happier using it solo.

So basically, like any other pet, the "best" entirely depends on its role.

I will continue to keep my Sawfly for damage, but will be using my Piggy as an air tank when solo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009

The additional damage helps keep and hold aggro. I had a pinnear foxwing to start, and it could not hold aggro for the life of me(litterally) even with upgraded skills. Switched to Sawfly and it was -MUCH- better, plus mobs do die faster. Regardless, now I have a phoenix.

I like the pets to do as much damage as possible, heal is less mp then spell casting, so it is more cost effective and the damage does add up, if your sawfly couldnt live without constant healing, something must have been wrong... you should easily be able to get through a mob with 0-1 heals.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I like the pets to do as much damage as possible, heal is less mp then spell casting, so it is more cost effective
    Early on this was true. If I spammed every mob I fought with damage spells, I would run out of mana before the metabolic boost / soul transformation / nature's grace combo recycled. But starting around my mid 40s, the combo replenishes so much hp and mana that I have trouble emptying it before it's recycled. And I'm a light build - an arcane build with a bigger mana-to-hp ratio and higher spell damage should hit this point even sooner.

So as you level up, the mana-efficiency of the spells becomes less of a factor, and the raw damage per second becomes primary.
    and the damage does add up, if your sawfly couldnt live without constant healing, something must have been wrong... you should easily be able to get through a mob with 0-1 heals.
    Like I said, if the mob is that easy to kill, then who cares which pet you're using? I'm thinking of the more extreme cases - mobs which are higher level than you, times when your pet gets attacked by multiple mobs, even bosses (yes I've used my pig to tank bosses when my golem died). The times when killing speed really matters. And in those cases IMHO it's faster to rely on your spell damage with fewer heals, rather than your pet damage with more heals.
    edited February 2009
    Like I said, if the mob is that easy to kill, then who cares which pet you're using? I'm thinking of the more extreme cases - mobs which are higher level than you, times when your pet gets attacked by multiple mobs, even bosses (yes I've used my pig to tank bosses when my golem died). The times when killing speed really matters. And in those cases IMHO it's faster to rely on your spell damage with fewer heals, rather than your pet damage with more heals.

Damage is damage, quicker is quicker, pet healing sawfly shouldnt be hindering your killing speed. Even if a mob is "easy" a weaker pet(*cough* foxwing) still has a harder time holding it, and I dont care how easy or weak the mob I am is fighting, I dont want the pet to lose aggro and end up getting hit, whatsoever.(coming from a stickler, who doesnt like waiting for pet to obtain an aggro hold)

Cant comment on the pig as I've never used it.

In the end its preference, and I'd much prefer the damage benefits.
  • Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear
    Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    ok thanks i will keep my sawfly
  • ArwenFrost - Heavens Tear
    ArwenFrost - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    how does the soul transfusion combo work again?
    edited February 2009
    Use up all your MP ---> Natures Grace --> Soul Trans ---> metabolic boost

Fills up your bar and wont tick your hp hiero.