Some advice plz

Elvenalmghty - Heavens Tear
Elvenalmghty - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Blademaster
I m thinking of making a new char on new server and make it a blademaster.

After some research i found that mostly most blade ppl stick to 1 weapon only.

I was wondering if its viable to go get stats to use 2 weapons instead .

Built :

3 str
1 dex
1 vit every lvl

> Allows use of 2 most popular weapons polearm and axe
And plz correct me if i m wrong this also allows use of heavy armors and also gives a descent amount of hit rate [which axe builts lack] and of course allows 2 weapons fr use .

The only problem i could come up with was the sp required and constant switching of weapons not to mention making 2 good ones later on .

But , I have heard these problems fade away over time as sp and money are infinite .

Then again i have also heard u can reset stat points . So can some experienced ppl help me with whts the best choice . I m gonna be joining pve server and wish to lvl fast [who doesn'tb:laugh] .
Post edited by Elvenalmghty - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I m thinking of making a new char on new server and make it a blademaster.

After some research i found that mostly most blade ppl stick to 1 weapon only.

I was wondering if its viable to go get stats to use 2 weapons instead .

Built :

3 str
    1 dex
    1 vit every lvl

> Allows use of 2 most popular weapons polearm and axe
    And plz correct me if i m wrong this also allows use of heavy armors and also gives a descent amount of hit rate [which axe builts lack] and of course allows 2 weapons fr use .

The only problem i could come up with was the sp required and constant switching of weapons not to mention making 2 good ones later on .

But , I have heard these problems fade away over time as sp and money are infinite .

Then again i have also heard u can reset stat points . So can some experienced ppl help me with whts the best choice . I m gonna be joining pve server and wish to lvl fast [who doesn'tb:laugh] .

I would not suggest anything on vit. You can always add in later on if you need, but it cost you gold to move it from there if you don't need it later.

Besides you can get skills like diamond sutra that will refill you HP bar again.

In other words you can always buy HP and MP (Vit and MAG) if you need either by skills or pots but you can rarely by STR and DEX.
  • MistresShade - Sanctuary
    MistresShade - Sanctuary Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Its actually fairly easy to be able to use two weapons, even if they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I was a pure fist BM, but restated and can now use both axe and fist (and I got calamity axes which make me happy ^^). The only problem with going multiple paths is the SP cost of skills, which as you said fades later on, and you won't be as powerful as a pure weapon person would. For instance, a pure axe BM will not pump as much dex as you will need to (unless he is a PvP person...), so he will do more damage theoretically. In all reality though going two paths isn't really a good idea until 70+ imo, but if it works for you and enhances your gameplay, by all means go for it.
    I am the biggest hypocrit you will ever see or hear, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Greed destroys even the tightest of bonds
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    At 71, SP is still a binding constraint for me. Part of that is the high cost of the better weapon-specific skills. But, part of it is also the fact that different weapons involve different styles of play, so you need (or don't need) different skills from the general set. Pole and Axe are relatively similar play styles, so this may not be as big a problem for you. That being said, I've seen some dual axe and sword users in the low 70s who seem to be doing okay (though their skills in each branch do not seem as developed as they might otherwise be).

As for your stats, yes, you should be able to use all the gear you need. You are suggesting to put all of your excess points into VIT which will be more valuable early on. Later, (say in the 40s or 50s) you will probably want to shift some or all of that allocation into DEX and may even want to plan for a restat a little later. I think a slightly more common solution is to shift a point every other level from going to VIT into DEX.
  • Dess - Heavens Tear
    Dess - Heavens Tear Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Ive got the same problem Bobncut does. By this point most of my skills run me around 150k-200k spirit and more in coin. I dont usually have to worry about the coin part of the deal, as Ive usually made enough coin to get whatever skill im after by the time Im ready to upgrade that skill. As for your stats, check Lyndura's BM guide. Ive been following her guide thus far, and have been quite satisfied with the results. As for the multiple wpn paths, sounds like everyone thus far is of the same opinion: you wont do as much dmg with with skills in multiple wpn paths as you would if you had stuck with a single path. A lot of the advice Ive heard on the whole multi-wpn angle is to wait till the high 70's, low 80's before attempting that. Just makes it a bit easier to get the skills of one path decent before you start adding skills from the 2nd path. Im just getting to the point where that is feasible, so i could be wrong on the multi-wpn bit. But give Lyndura's guide a look over. She should be able to answer a lot of your questions there.
  • Elvenalmghty - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Ive got the same problem Bobncut does. By this point most of my skills run me around 150k-200k spirit and more in coin. I dont usually have to worry about the coin part of the deal, as Ive usually made enough coin to get whatever skill im after by the time Im ready to upgrade that skill. As for your stats, check Lyndura's BM guide. Ive been following her guide thus far, and have been quite satisfied with the results. As for the multiple wpn paths, sounds like everyone thus far is of the same opinion: you wont do as much dmg with with skills in multiple wpn paths as you would if you had stuck with a single path. A lot of the advice Ive heard on the whole multi-wpn angle is to wait till the high 70's, low 80's before attempting that. Just makes it a bit easier to get the skills of one path decent before you start adding skills from the 2nd path. Im just getting to the point where that is feasible, so i could be wrong on the multi-wpn bit. But give Lyndura's guide a look over. She should be able to answer a lot of your questions there.

I have went through the guide several times [about 10 times i guess and yes i like to read a lot]

As far as what i can see , u ppl r against using dual weapons till high lvls and posing the fact that its well not as effective .

Alright so here are my new pts :

1. The added dex fr pole arm is required for axe as well as axe misses a lot

2. Pole arm is good for lvling till like 60s and then axe [as to wht i read] . So if u ppl think polearm //axe is better all the way plz tell me so.

========

Edit :

I wasn't gonna post about this till i actually needed to but oh well :

I was reading skill descriptions at ecatomb and saw that demon version gives +1% crit and sage +90% dmg . Although i m sure the 90% add is weapon specicfic , i m wondering if +1% crit frm different masteries is stackable
  • Dess - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Dont know about the crit % being stackable. As for the spear/axe bit, even if you have the stats for the wpns, you also have to take into account how much it will cost to get skills for both sets of wpns. In my opinion, id rather wait till im a higher lvl, and have a strong set of skills i can fall back on if i get into trouble with mobs, than be a lower lvl, and have to rely on a lot of mediocre skills for grinding and questing. If you want to go the multi-wpn path early on, good luck to you. But most everything ive heard about that says to wait, usually b/c you wont be able to afford to lvl your skills very often at low lvls.
  • Elvenalmghty - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    hmm i think i m over the idea of dual weponds at low lvl nw ..... nyways can u ppl tell me which is better for pve axe//polearm //fist//sword [taking the fact that i usually end up soloing]
  • keyekan
    keyekan Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'm still trying to figure out which weapons to use. I haven't made a character yet, so I wanna see what the main differences are. I would love to be a fist BM, but from what I hear, it's very difficult to be effective without being both a high level and quite good at the game. I am neither (at least for now). Meh...
  • Dess - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Keyekan, the best advice i can give is for you to try all of the wpns available to bms, and find one that fits your style of play. From everything ive heard (ive never used fists/claws), fist bms are difficult to lvl up, especially as you rise in lvl. If you really wish to be a fist bm, put only enough points into dex to be able to use your latest wpn, and make sure you put enough points into str to be able to use heavy armor. Anything you have left over, put into either vit or dex. Never put points into mag, as its useless to bms.

Elvenalmghty, from what ive seen and experienced, axes are the best pve wpn out there. Given the number of aoe skills, and the number of stun skills axe bms have, axes are prolly the way to go for a solo player. You wont have a whole lot of dex to start out with, so you'll prolly end up losing a lot of your early duels (if you even bother dueling). If theres any axe bms that can toss in other advice for his new char, plz, chime in. A lot of my bm friends are axe bms, but im not. So i dont have a lot of first hand exp with using axes. Spears and swords seem about even for pve, and fists are generally seen as a bad idea for pve or pvp. There are some ppl out there who swear by em, but i dont know all that many.
  • MistresShade - Sanctuary
    MistresShade - Sanctuary Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Alrighty I'm finally back to this thread. As I say in all BM threads, what weapon you use is a matter of personal preference, as is your build. That being said I liked fists until about 70 when more mobs agrroed and there were tighter clusters better for AoEing, which is when I spliced into axe. IMO though, fists are still superior to axes 1v1, simply because we have mroe attack speed boosts, higher base attack speed, and we don't use near as much mp as axe users. However in AoE situations and PvP of anykind, axes still rule the day, followed by spear, then sword, then last fist.

Again it is all what you want to do. If you don't want to dual tree until like 80+, I suggest you go axes, then you can splice into whatever other tree you want after that. If you want to dual tree at 60-70, I suggest you go fist, and then splice into axe at 60-70. However if you PvP alot, or are on a PvP server go axe, period. At later levels you can use fist or whatever for PvE, but PvP is best to go axe.

Now don't think spear and sword are bad or anything because I didn't really go into them, the reason for this is because I have no experiance with them. I do however have a couple friends that use them and they do just fine, in fact the spear BM can kick my butt easily (unless my calamity axes go berserk and I crit...)

As always whatever you choose isn't wrong, never let anyone tell you that.
    I am the biggest hypocrit you will ever see or hear, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Greed destroys even the tightest of bonds