Whatsdifference between PVP and PVE

2»

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I find it just the opposite. The very reason I play is to make my character stronger, which is why once you hit max level its rather pointless to play any longer becuase you can't. At that point everyone has the same gear and is the same level and has nearly identical builds. There is no fun at all to pvp with that.

When I hit max level my character will already have all the best gear so I will have no more reason to play that character regardless of what server I am on. I have no more goals.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Zhaocai - Heavens Tear
    Zhaocai - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Competition isn't important to me. When I get to max level, I'll have fun just running through high level instances solo,or helping my guild or other random people.
  • DeOso - Lost City
    DeOso - Lost City Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Hmm, you guys must not care much for fighting games or FPS's.
  • Lessie - Lost City
    Lessie - Lost City Posts: 917 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I find it just the opposite. The very reason I play is to make my character stronger, which is why once you hit max level its rather pointless to play any longer becuase you can't. At that point everyone has the same gear and is the same level and has nearly identical builds. There is no fun at all to pvp with that.

When I hit max level my character will already have all the best gear so I will have no more reason to play that character regardless of what server I am on. I have no more goals.

False.
    In response to the red part
    Not everyone will have the same skills, builds, equips, shards, + of gear, socket ammount. (doesnt matter much in pve servers)
    Not everyone will use the same strategy when fighting other players (doesnt matter in pve servers)
    Not everyone will do the same stuff in big long pk wars, different playstyles and teamwork (doesnt matter in pve servers)
    Everyone can kill monsters (matters in pve)

So after the red part, you say you'll just stop playing that char.
    So basically spend hours and hours and months leveling to get to max lvl and then just drop it ? SOUNDS LIKE FUN.
    Or spend months lvling to get to max lvl then u can fight tons of ppl.

hm..... hard choice?
    Full PVE on a PVP game will be boring in the end game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ Made by Saitada ^^

Dieho: I win 15 on 1, I roll all of your guild to sz all by myself !
    Lessie: Proof?
    Dieho: I dont have any, but my word is more than enough.
    Lessie: Well I won 33 on 1 the other day :D
    b:cute
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Actually its very true. In the last mmo I played, at the end everyone had the same equips, +8 to +10. All had nearly identical cookiecutter builds. All used the exact same skills in the exact same way all the time. It was boring as hell.

I reach the end, get all the best gear and max level, I have reached all my goals for the game and have no reason to play it anymore. If the game was about pvp, there would be no levels, no better gear to get, none of that. Everyone would be on an equal playing field all the time.
    Main characters
  • Twilyte - Heavens Tear
    Twilyte - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Actually, neither PvP nor PvE is better than one or the other.

All they represent are different routes to the same end...a means to relax, enjoy some game time and escape from the trials and tribulations of the real world.

I don't have anything bad to say about PvP. Nothing. Nada. I simply choose to come home after a hectic 10 hour work day, which has my mind stressed out to the snapping point, and do some mind-numbing mob killing.

To be quite honest, I don't think with my current life style that my poor mind could take the adrenaline rush that comes with PvP.

Conversely, many others love that rush. It brings a certain "life" to the game, fighting against other human players. Nothing wrong at all with that gaming style.

Each style has is perks and pitfalls. PvE has ks'ers and blue name drama queens. PvP has it KOS lists and random PK's. Which is better? Neither...poison is poison.

We just choose the poison which entices us the most.

Game on!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Twilyte's post couldn't be any more on the spot. It's a matter of taste and boils down to what you want from a game. Personally, I consider PK to be a very childish sort of PvP, but this doesn't mean it's bad only that I don't like it. A PKer might find PvE boring and tedious, but that doesn't mean it's bad, only that they don't like it. Everyone has to decide for themselves which style they prefer.

The only shame is that PW doesn't have any real good PvP system at all. Even TW is a very broken system, since it requires you to be in a super-huge guild to be halfway successful in, which means only a fraction of PW players can actually participate in TW in a meaningful way (=having a theoretical chance to win a match). So that doesn't count.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chaotiic - Lost City
    Chaotiic - Lost City Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Few things to say.

Firstly, its great to post about end-game for those who havent seen it, get there and u will know what we mean. Once u hit 90 and get hh90 gear this gear will last u for approximately the next 7 months minimum of ur playing time most it will last 1 year+. Want to know why?

The next set if gear is at lv99 it is hh99 gold (there is no green). These are the top gears in the game. lv90-99 takes at least 3-4 months and that is for the FAST leveling players. Then to get a piece of hh99 gold u need gold drops from 3-2 and 3-3. One run of 3-3 takes approximately 6+hrs. In that run u will kill the bosses u need once. The drop rate for most gold mats is 0.5% that generally means 200 runs for one drop.....for each piece of armor u need 2 gold mats. This hh is not easy and there will be many deaths per run. For most people this is just not worth it therefore the MAJORITY of people will have hh90 gear for their entire time playing pw. Therefore once u hit 90 for most u have ur end-game gears.

So wat is the point in leveling? Say u do want to level to 99 so u can get skills what then? The gear considered best in the game is hh99 and rank 8 (requires lv 100). So once u hit 100 there is no point in leveling as all it gives u is extra stat points.

Zoe if u will not have hh99 gears by the time u are 99. You probably wont have them when u are 101. When u reach the highest levels everyone wil definitely NOT have the same gear. MY server has been out over a year and a half and very few people have rank8 (under 20). Most players lv 101 have maybe 1 piece of 99 gears. You have been talking about things you do not know and other mmos. This is not other mmos this is perfect world.

Twilyte fact is at the highest levels, something most players strive for, there is nothing to do on the pve server. This game was based entirely around pvp. People dont + their gear and add amazingly expensive stones to fight mobs. You dont strive to get ur heaven and hell skills (1% drop rate from a boss in fb99 for a random skillbook allowing u to learn one skill for one class designated on the book) to complete quests 5 minutes faster. This game had no pve version until PWI made it. All the other servers and versions were open pvp after 30. PWI made this pve option to attract a wider audience but when it comes down to it this is a pvp based game and centres itself around the pvp aspect.

Zhaocai at lvl 93 i gain 500 exp per mob, i need 16.9 million exp to level. I kill 9x mobs about 3 per minute. Yes i could definitely say i want to grind. Most people dont bother after 90 because as i stated for most u already have ur final gear. Also all the things u mentioned u would do at max level u can do ust as easily at 90.

I'll close with if u ever get to high level (high lvl on this game is considered 89+) you will understand.
    Official Guild History

Conqueror->kamisama
  • Twilyte - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Chaotiic,

First, let me say that, I have indeed been (and still are) at a much higher level. Don't fall into the assumption that this is the only version I play. b:laugh

In fact, it is the third. So I am not speaking from lack of experience. Also, it is a misconception you seem to be under thinking that PWI was the first version to offer PvE. The Phillippine version had (has) it as well prior to this version being released.

What you don't seem to get is not everyone (and please quit speaking for "the majority" or "most players"...they can speak for themselves, please speak for yourself) needs the "X-factor" of human on human combat in order to be satisfied.

I simply stated, that both playstyles are perfectly fine, neither being better than the other. Rather, they are just different.

PvE will eventually get to a point where questing becomes merely repetitive. Carrying that line of thought out, that eventually, according to your well explained high level gear summary (and it was spot on by the way!), if the level cap remains constant, and people end up wearing the same level gear, fighting the same people with the same gear will also eventually become redundant.

Truth be told, the only thing that will keep people playing any game is interaction with in game communities. We all eventually move on to "the next newest and shiny game" once we hit the boredom threshold. We may come back to visit past games we played, but never with the same passion as when we first loaded it.

I simply take pleasure in doing different things than someone interested in PvP. I don't need that in order to find a game entertaining. When the entertainment from playing a PvE game runs out, I will find new pixel crack to get my fix from.

Like I said...black/white...left/right...fire/ice...PvP/PvE...neither is better, they are simply different. If you enjoy PvP and that brings you satisfaction, why worry about those on the PvE server. Let them do their own thing in their own little world, and you keep "pew-pewing" in your world. To each their own.

Peace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Considering the level cap can be extended to 150, the 99 gear is NOT your last gear. There is a loooong way to go if you want that real last gear.
    Main characters
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Twilyte fact is at the highest levels, something most players strive for, there is nothing to do on the pve server. This game was based entirely around pvp. People dont + their gear and add amazingly expensive stones to fight mobs. You dont strive to get ur heaven and hell skills (1% drop rate from a boss in fb99 for a random skillbook allowing u to learn one skill for one class designated on the book) to complete quests 5 minutes faster. This game had no pve version until PWI made it. All the other servers and versions were open pvp after 30. PWI made this pve option to attract a wider audience but when it comes down to it this is a pvp based game and centres itself around the pvp aspect.

A common mistake of the PK lovers is to assume that "the game is PvP based", because that's the kind of gaming style they are preferring. But in all honestly, as much as you guys want to imagine the entire world is revolving around you, that doesn't mean it does. Sun doesn't revolve around Earth either, as much as humanity wanted to be the center of the universe.

Ok, first things first - ALL versions of PW have a huge PvE part, that's when you kill monsters and do the quests. That's PvE, no? In case you didn't notice, that's what you do to level, even on Lost City server. And that's where probably 90% of the entire development time went into, so the statement "it's a PvP game" is - I am sorry to say - fairly ridiculous. PW does have the opportunity to attack other players, the only difference between a PvE and a PvP server is the option to turn exactly that off. So if you were right and this was a PvP game, turning off the sole "meaning" of the game wouldn't make much sense, no? If PW _was_ a PvP focused game, it wouldn't have any monsters in at all, you would get your XP fighting other players. Doesn't the fact that this doesn't happen tell you that your logic is around 10,000 miles besides the point? To be honest, I find people funny who run around telling "It's a PvP game!!!!" when they are spending the majority of their time squashing the same monsters as I am.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chaotiic - Lost City
    Chaotiic - Lost City Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Twilyte and Kimyrielle u both make good points. Twilyte although both pve and pvp will get boring pve i was trying to say pve will get boring all that much faster. Kimi you are right u do spend 90% of the time killing mos to level lol.

Zoe you truly have no idea about this game. Yes 99hh gears is the best other than rank8 which is 100. Other than that there is molds at 105 and the rest up to 150 is jus npc garbage, 2* and 3*. Leveling at 101 is extremely hard so unless they change exp rates after 100 no1 is going to get 105 within the next 2-3 years. 150..... enjoy the next 40 years of ur life killing mobs on pw.

Note:rank8 is much better than the 105 molds and so is hh99 with the set bonuses etc.
    Official Guild History

Conqueror->kamisama
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Ah you LC players just LOVE proving your ignorance of how games work. Consider the current level cap of 105, you need insane exp to get there. The reason for that is to stop players from reaching 105. However when players do, they can raise the level cap, also adding in more dungeons and equipment as they do. At that point, with no reason to stop them from reaching 105 as the new content is in the game, the amount of exp you need drops considerably, and progressively goes upto that point once again as you get to the new level cap.

It makes sense to do it this way as a developer. You want the last levels to take ages to get that way you have lots of time to develop and code higher level material becuase you know players are not going to reach that cap anytime soon. Then, when players do reach it eventually, you have a lot of stuff already set up for things beyond the original level cap.

You like to act as if this game is static, well sorry but MMOs are dynamic. Things are always changing which renders your arguement null and void.

Edit: I forgot to mention I have seen that work out very well in other mmos. One I can think of had you leveling normally but the next thing you know you need 9999999999999 exp to level up. They don't want you to reach the next level although its possible. Once they raise the level cap that exp becomes a normal amount again.
    Main characters
  • Lessie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Ah you LC players just LOVE proving your ignorance of how games work.
    So you HT players know better right ?
    I started as light armor. I actually died faster than I do now with robes since I had no hp to speak of.
    A good veno will not be pet dependent
    Blademasters that stun are noobs
    LOL ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ Made by Saitada ^^

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    You just proved my point of LC player stupidity. You can't even comprehend how to post on topic!

You also seem to enjoy fake quotes, well I can do that too.
    I'm such an idiot
    I'm going to go QQ in a corner now because I'm too pathetically weak to pvp without attacking from behind or hiding behind a phoenix.

At least some LC players know what they are talking about and can have intelligent conversations. Though what amazes me the most is that LC players who obsess over pvp have yet to realize that in pvp a veno is not a DD class like everyone tries to be. They are a support class.
    Main characters
  • Lessie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    You just proved my point of LC player stupidity. You can't even comprehend how to post on topic!

You also seem to enjoy fake quotes, well I can do that too.

At least some LC players know what they are talking about and can have intelligent conversations. Though what amazes me the most is that LC players who obsess over pvp have yet to realize that in pvp a veno is not a DD class like everyone tries to be. They are a support class.

Fake quotes? would you like me to give you the link to all of those posts so you can finally stfu?

Here you go, some of your great knowledge
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=1493081#post1493081
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=157531&page=8
    A quote from this last link
    Ignore her Chaotiic, Zoe is "that idiot from Heaven's Tear", she's gained a little fame for astronomical stupidity.

Her claims include: "Venos don't need pets" "BMs never need to stun and not wanting to take damage is BAD" "Clerics shouldn't heal themselves"

One of your funniest ones, where you compare real living humans to online mobs
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=1433062#post1433062

Then we go to
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=162671&page=2
    where you say stunning and healing means you're not good lol....
    and
    Only reason I would need the pet when I'm 30 is to deal with the level gap as I attack level 50+ players.
    A good veno will not be pet dependent
    In one TW I had just put up bramble hood (75% damage reduction from all attacks) I had full hp and a barb 1 shotted me.
    (^^ this last quote is TOTAL FAIL)

I quote myself from that topic
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1363051
    Quoted for truth.
    Keep posting tho, Zoe's replies are always a good laugh.
    So far we have

- Lvl 30 molded equips ftw
    - She pvp agaisnt people 20 lvls higher and own them (and I'm osama bin laden in disguise)
    - Venos' pets are for noobs
    - 1 shot thru bramble hood
    - Kiting is for noobs
    - Warrior stun is for noobs
    - Clerics that heal are noobs

Freaking priceless, got more pvp ownage advice zoe ? b:cute

Then
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=1349582#post1349582
    A good player does not rely on not getting hit. They just kill that fast.
    Oh you can only dream of being able to pvp as well as I can. If I went back to lost city I'd run a veno, be covered in molds and have a phoenix before I hit level 30. Then I'd target people like you. =p

Would you like me to keep digging out your stupidity from your previous posts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ Made by Saitada ^^

• Twilyte - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Chaotiic, points well taken. Either way, you and I, we still face the inevitable end of our entertainment, one slower than the other.

But look at the brightside!! Judging from all the "interesting" posts, we have done a good job of showing that PvP (in this case... poster versus poster b:chuckle ) can be entertaining!

And...since noone every seems to know when to stop posting replies, we can say that it's balanced PvP also! No one shot kills! LOL!

Peace out!

PS..and Zoe, not everyone that PvP's has a stupid childish attitude. It does your cause little good to make your own generalizations like "...LC stupidity..."
    Adding a footnote later giving some of them credit for being able to hold an intelligent conversation seems kind of hollow after you lump them all together when you berate them.

Don't let your emotions dictate your logic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Yes you keep crying Lessie. Every single post you make proves your ignorance. I don't think I need to tell you what happened to many other players that liked to post the same way you do now.
    Main characters
  • Lessie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Yes you keep crying Lessie. Every single post you make proves your ignorance. I don't think I need to tell you what happened to many other players that liked to post the same way you do now.

Does this post somehow invalidate all the links and quotes showing your complete and total ignorance/stupidity?
    Wow.... I'm sure you can do better.

Oh ****, shouldnt have expected more.... like mua said
    Ignore her Chaotiic, Zoe is "that idiot from Heaven's Tear", she's gained a little fame for astronomical stupidity.

Her claims include: "Venos don't need pets" "BMs never need to stun and not wanting to take damage is BAD" "Clerics shouldn't heal themselves"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ Made by Saitada ^^

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    The other players that posted like you Lessie, now look like this.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3621&postcount=16
    Main characters
  • Lessie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Does this post somehow invalidate all the links and quotes showing your complete and total ignorance/stupidity?
    Wow.... I'm sure you can do better.

b:laughb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ Made by Saitada ^^