Crafting Efficiency

torsive
torsive Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Suggestion Box
Hello!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (or even if it exists in game already), but how about making it attractive for high level crafters to make lower level items?

Say you have a Tailor skill of 4, and you want to make items that have a Tailor skill requirement of 1-3. How about increasing the chances of crafting better items (as in higher chance of two to three star, as well as the rarer item modifiers). Obviously better chances when the differences in level is greater. This could hold true for blacksmithing, tailoring, and jewelcrafting.

Apothecracy could work in a similar fashion, by increasing the number of apoth items created. So instead of the usual 5 life powders, (for example) a percentage increase of 20% per level of Apothecracy skill? So 6 are created at lvl 2, 7 at lvl3, etc. (Personally I'd love to see it DOUBLE, but hey gotta keep it balanced ^^). Or if a guaranteed increase in crafted pots is too unbalanced, then how about making it just a chance type thing like the other crafts.

I can see one issue, and it's that this feature would discourage lower level crafters from actually crafting items, except for the sake of improving their crafting skill levels. But I feel that if the increased chance of better crafted items isn't too dramatic, then this shouldn't be an issue (of course left to the discretion of the developers).

In my opinion this would make crafting more in depth, and a more desirable skill to improve, making materials more precious as well, hence increasing the number of customers buying the cash shop mats. :)

Thanks for reading, I hope to hear some intelligible opinions.
Post edited by torsive on

Comments

• torsive
    edited February 2009
    Wow no replies? Does no one have an opinion on this?
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    This game already includes other reasons for high level characters to fabricate low level gear.

Does this help you?
  • AlpineFrost - Lost City
    AlpineFrost - Lost City Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I think its a great idea :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ex-Waffles Director
    ~Ragequit
  • Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    Ihazacute - Sanctuary Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    This seems like it could go somewhere, just not the way you have it set up right now. If the chances are even slightly better, then once you have an available higher level (be it through a faction or w/e) then it would be better to have them craft it. I'd love it since my high level main could pass on some gear to my lowbie veno here, but therein lies the "balance" you were talking about: simply more good gear out there.

Second, I'll have to argue with your premise that this would make mats more precious. If my lvl60 can make 30 powders from the exact same amount of mats, you are effectively making it *less* necessary to gather materials.

What would improve this is we take your idea that a higher level has a better chance, *but* add that it should take more resources as well. I dont think this would work with Apoth and an absolutle quantity, but if it took 2x more mats for a lvl4 tailor to make lvl1 gear for a better chance at good gear, then maybe. That theory may even work for crafting anything: have a normal and an expensive mode for crafting anything.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • torsive
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking more about say 7-8 powders (for a character with level 4 or 5 apoth) 30 powders is extreme, I meant increasing crafting efficiency relative to the player's crafting skill level not the character level. It just seems odd getting up to lvl 4 apoth, but still crafting lvl1 powders/pots just the same. There will be more desire for higher level crafters (lvl 4+) to craft low lvl pots (lvl 1), so more mat/herb demand.

I like where your going Ihazacute. I like your idea of using more mats for improving chances, that would be a lot better (in regard to non-apoth crafting at least).

I think this could be implemented without balance issues, as long as they increase the probability by only a marginal amount. At least to where it would only be *slightly* say by 1% - 5% more likely to craft a better item with double+ mats than it would be to craft two of them individually the normal way. But this is unnecessary detail at the moment. I just mean to say that this could be doable without unbalancing the game.

Anyone know how crafting is implemented in other games? Possibly features that could be beneficial to the system that exists now?