Question on forum etiquette

Coviana - Sanctuary
Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Oki... I have a question here that may or may not be addressed elsewhere:

If I have a question relating to, but not answered by, a several-month-old thread, what is the proper approach? Posting the question in response to the old related thread seems to be frowned up (apparently called 'necroing'), but starting a new thread when a related one already exists (no matter how old) is also met with a reprimand. So which is the preferred approach here? (or is there another option that I'm not thinking of?)
Post edited by Coviana - Sanctuary on

Comments

• andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Bumping ancient threads isn't allowed. If the search option doesn't give you any results, feel free to ask, we really won't look down on you even if it is somewhere on here. Just don't ask when the Etherblade server's coming out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Coviana - Sanctuary
    Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Just so I'm clear here:

If i read an ancient thread, and I have a further related question that isn't answered in the thread, i should just start a new thread to ask the question, and ignore the people who link to the old thread that didn't answer the question?
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Just ask the question in a new thread then. If people link to the old thread, they're not exactly acting smart, because they're linking you to a thread that doesn't have the answer. So yeah, you should ignore those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zhoelle - Sanctuary
    Zhoelle - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Interesting. I would have thought the exact opposite. My reasoning is that it's better to have one comprehensive thread on a topic than several with duplicate information. Now I know! ("Necroing" hee hee, nice term)