ZOMG just read the IGN review of this game

Ticklefruit - Sanctuary
Ticklefruit - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
i searched this forum but I haven't seen anything about this so i thought i should take the front seat of liberty and point out that IGN actually did a review of PWI.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/949/949350p1.html

the review sound good i think. if i had to grade base on IGN scale I give maybe 8.5 but that is just me as i have told that i have tendency of sort to be picky hehe.
Post edited by Ticklefruit - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kikuzakura - Sanctuary
    Kikuzakura - Sanctuary Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone else have Neilie's problem, where items you can not craft and skills you can not learn do not get dimmed out?

I had never heard of anyone having this problem, so I was surprised.

Edit: I think I understand now. You can craft items that you can not use, and they do not get dimmed out. Also, skills you can not learn are subtly dimmed which might not be obvious to some people.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    dudes a noob doesnt realise for ah and such you gotten open inventory first before opening AH (yah annoing but easy to get used to)
    the manufacturing screen clearly states manufacturing lvl required
    flying dragon mount yah thats not in PWI just some others
    he got lag and didnt see cat shop names, didnt clearly explain his problem
    the spirit problem, pff is not that bad at later levels you have more then enough spirit to max all skills
    1% xp gain for a low lvl quest? which one must have been PART of a quest, most gave so much xp at low lvls..
    about group aggro mobs, some have it some dont, its no where near 90% non group aggro at higher lvls, wow the game is relatively nice to lower lvls, wow how evil
    most damage to get loot..meh he needs to learn to get first hit right
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    ... for ah and such you gotten open inventory first before opening AH (yah annoing but easy to get used to) ...

I agree with you on everything but this. You can hit the little 'Money Bag' Icon on the bar in the bottom right, to pop up your inventory in the Auction House and Mailbox(Only the hotkey 'B' doesnt work). Fun Fact.
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    1+1 = cake
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I agree with you on everything but this. You can hit the little 'Money Bag' Icon on the bar in the bottom right, to pop up your inventory in the Auction House and Mailbox(Only the hotkey 'B' doesnt work). Fun Fact.

well then yah some interface things i missed or werent explained well , that works too , i keep that bar hidden when i play normally though
    (how many noobs as how to exit game on forum...a lot..some interface things are WAY too easy to miss [like setting up partys by pressing T/the button for it])
  • Gonzu - Heavens Tear
    Gonzu - Heavens Tear Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I think that the review is spot on.

And it's just annoying that every mob gets one last hit one you even if you kill it before it should have been able to hit you.

It might be a bug that never got fixed.
  • Zyfou - Heavens Tear
    Zyfou - Heavens Tear Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2009

And it's just annoying that every mob gets one last hit one you even if you kill it before it should have been able to hit you.

It might be a bug that never got fixed.

It's calculation vs. animation lag.
  • Daibar - Heavens Tear
    Daibar - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Seems to be an improper channeling time calculation. Don't understand how you can attack an archer with a bm, kill the guy, get hit, then get hit again.

Most of the review was right. However, this person seems like a 100%'er, when they complain about not being able to level every skill. He doesn't realize you're not supposed to have every skill.

Rating seemed much lower than I expected as well.
  • Zilariah - Heavens Tear
    Zilariah - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Agreed totally b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well now pw knows what needs to be fixed with the game xD
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hitakitsune - Heavens Tear
    Hitakitsune - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Traditionally, IGN is a bunch of noobs. It seems that they make people who don't like the genre in general do the reviews on the games. I forget what game it was, but they gave it a low score because they hated the control scheme. By the way, the control scheme was completely customizable. I submitted two things to them before. I submitted a correct cheat to a game that they didn't have then I submitted a "cheat" to the same game with only "I like bacon" in the message. The second was the only one that got posted and it stayed up for a year before someone ever noticed.
  • Kikuzakura - Sanctuary
    Kikuzakura - Sanctuary Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Do you get that bug from network lag?

How can we tell if we have poor game ping?
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Me too!

She is right about both the good and the bad things she pointed out. The UI can be argued about, but I share her view that it could be better. For starters it could adapt better to larger screens. Or *gosh* offer keyboard mapping.
    The sound effects are not on par with the quality of the rest of the game either. Oh right, and the quest design does lack even the slightest bit of imagination most of the time. The only quest chain I really liked was Ladywraith. The rest are really all "Go kill 125 Evil Critters Type C" quests.

What she could have pointed out is the lack of PvP options between mere PKing (blargh!) and TW which isn't an option for everyone not being in a huge guild full of L95 players and happens only on weekends anyway.

The obvious strengths of PW are the character customization, the visuals (partcularly the effects), the nicely done stetting and the music - and she didn't fail to point those out. The final score seems appropriate to me, but I have to admit I don't know the range IGN marked comparable MMOs with.

By the way, I wish print magazines would pick up on reviewing free to play MMOs, too. I never would have heard about PW if my friends hadn't pointed me here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009

It is not a calculation/animation mismatch. I frequently get the following sequence of reports from the game engine:

[critter] takes 2312 damage.
    EXP 353
    SP 2 (okay, I'm making up the numbers here)
    [critter] deals 542 damage.

This is in the same dialog box. It is not just my impression of when the messages appear. Clearly, the game engine knows you killed the target and it does not stop its calculations of the target's final attack on you. I could understand this happening infrequently if we have simultaneous strikes and two parts of the code write to the screen at a different pace, but once the logic branches to the experience calculation the combat loop should be closed.
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It is not a calculation/animation mismatch. I frequently get the following sequence of reports from the game engine:

[critter] takes 2312 damage.
    EXP 353
    SP 2 (okay, I'm making up the numbers here)
    [critter] deals 542 damage.

This is in the same dialog box. It is not just my impression of when the messages appear. Clearly, the game engine knows you killed the target and it does not stop its calculations of the target's final attack on you. I could understand this happening infrequently if we have simultaneous strikes and two parts of the code write to the screen at a different pace, but once the logic branches to the experience calculation the combat loop should be closed.

Yes and no, I can see both sides. Think of the mobs attack in mid flight(ie. If an archer shot, you might kill him before the arrow hit you, him dying doesnt influence the arrows path) and it just happened to hit you after he died.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I can see the "flight time" issue and concede that "simultaneous" could conceivably be a slightly wider window than I'm allowing. But, EVERY mob does this. Melee attacks are as likely to record after the death info as magic attacks (I rarely kill at range, so can't really talk about final ranged shots). Am I just extremely clumsy and keep getting in the way of their weapon as it drops out of their lifeless hands? Nope, the inevitable death blow strains credibility no matter how I think about it.
  • Hildeborg - Heavens Tear
    Hildeborg - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Maybe a remnant of the Pay2Play era. One last hit gives you more 'chance' of dieing and then having to play longer - aka pay more - for the same result. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evilixx - Heavens Tear
    Evilixx - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Im thinking the 1% xp for the quest must have been 1 of the "solo missions", that some guards offer. before I knew how to use to find quest button I did a few of those til I realized they gave no XP.
  • Gonzu - Heavens Tear
    Gonzu - Heavens Tear Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    You get zero XP for doing those quests, you only get 2 points of rep and a celestone shard.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    That wasn't a review.. that was a long-winded collection of vague first impressions. The guy who wrote it clearly only piddled around on PW for half an hour or so, and then assumed that it qualified him to write a "review".
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • angellicdeity
    angellicdeity Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    That wasn't a review.. that was a long-winded collection of vague first impressions. The guy who wrote it clearly only piddled around on PW for half an hour or so, and then assumed that it qualified him to write a "review".

And it could be looked at this way...

The guy who wrote it doesn't have the time to level to 81 to write a review for a game.

You need to realize, its the first part of the game that gives people impressions.

If someone play's the first 5 levels and it doesn't appeal to them, well, I highly doubt they would continue playing.

Similarly, a high levelled player is not exactly inclined to write a review either. Its a little something called... Bias.
  • Coviana - Sanctuary
    Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    You get zero XP for doing those quests, you only get 2 points of rep and a celestone shard.

The lower level ones only give 1 Rep and a Celestone Fragment, with an exception:

At Heavens Tear, Lv31-35, the Tiger-striped Araneid one gives exp & sp also. I'd always thought that was intended as a bonus for people who actually read the descriptions and try out things that others ignore or overlook, since it lists the reward components in your quest log as soon as you accept it... however, after playing much further along, and seeing that that is the ONLY one in the whole series to do this, it's also possible that it's a bug that has existed for as long as i've been playing, and will be 'fixed' as soon as someone gets around to it (hopefully without calling it an 'exploit' and dropping a ban-hammer on the people who have used it cluelessly and/or innocently). My perspective on it is still, and will remain until told otherwise through official channels, that it works as intended, and as such does not warrant either the submission of a ticket, or avoiding using it.
  • Shiga - Sanctuary
    Shiga - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    While I think that this article is prolly a good representation of what a new player to the game might think, and agreed with a lot of the points, there was a couple places where they gave incorrect information or I just couldn't see what they had a problem with.

For example the concept of skills being a specialization or the fact that they said a few players can fly in the game, both which could be easily answered with a simple question to pretty much any toon over level 30 (and most under level 30).

And I didn't quite understand what he was talking about with the quests making you run out kill the monsters and run back. I thought town giving you quests, and then the field being where you completed the quest was standard concept for MMO's.

Overall I think it was a fair review, but I don't think it will give new players the full idea of how this game is played or what it is about.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The guy who wrote it doesn't have the time to level to 81 to write a review for a game.

Yeah, I wrote another paragraph onto my earlier post, but then deleted it because it was kinda convoluted.. but the gist of it was that I have utterly no problem with a person piddling around for a few minutes and writing a review.. It's that this person decided to try to act knowledgeable instead of admitting that he hadn't played it a whole lot. Most of his criticisms were highly subjective and derived from his inexperience. As such, his "review" is pretty much worthless as a review.

He should have just admitted that he didn't really play it. Instead he tried to pretend to know anything and everything about the game. It's misleading.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    Oishasan - Sanctuary Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    There's also the agenda of certain companies to not give Free to Play MMORPGs any influence in the same market as pay to play MMORPGs.
    I gave a nice honest review once for VNVault and was called a 'Plant', thus shutting down the thread.
    Kinda sad considering I had over 1000 posts there over the decade or so I had been a member, but it showed what kind of influence that market has and how terrified they are of what PWI is creating.
    Oishasan
    Light Armor build, Support Cleric

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    There's also the agenda of certain companies to not give Free to Play MMORPGs any influence in the same market as pay to play MMORPGs.

When reading those magazine (either print or online), one of the things you will notice first is the high number of ads from game publishers there. I think it's safe to say that without publishers buying ads there, those magazines couldn't even exist. On the other hand, taking money from the same people you are reviewing is obviously a questionable thing to do. Somehow I am astonished that even horrible games are still getting decent marks as long as they are coming from a major publisher. But then again, I am not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vasflam - Lost City
    Vasflam - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Im thinking the 1% xp for the quest must have been 1 of the "solo missions", that some guards offer. before I knew how to use to find quest button I did a few of those til I realized they gave no XP.

Too bad the IGN reviewer has no concept of reputation and the value of one man army quests.
  • Vasflam - Lost City
    Vasflam - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I gave a nice honest review once for VNVault and was called a 'Plant', thus shutting down the thread.
    Kinda sad considering I had over 1000 posts there over the decade or so I had been a member, but it showed what kind of influence that market has and how terrified they are of what PWI is creating.

This is true. I'm glad to see Perfect World breaking down walls within mainstream media though.