animate our hair?

Fleuri - Sanctuary
Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Suggestion Box
I love perfect world's hair styles, except that most have clipping problems when we run or fly. And I spend most of my time running and flying.

If our hair could be animated, that could prevent most of this problem, and make us look better.
Post edited by Fleuri - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Dajarum - Lost City
    Dajarum - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Agreed but the programming length would be incredibly long for such a luxury feature wouldnt it?
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    I believe they already have that programming done, but they would need to provide hair animation data (just like they have animation data for our arms and legs) and they would need to modify each hair model to take advantage of their animations.

They could probably just animate long hair models. And this would take some time for some of their modeling and animation people -- but I do not think they would need much programming.
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Not so much programming, as art time and massive amounts of processor and GPU overhead. As it is, the hair is probably a few dozen points on a static initialized mesh, plus one set of textures, maybe a couple alpha channels. Do it through animations and you need to add a few dozen extra skeleton bones, many more points to the base mesh, probably a much larger texture, and change every major animation for the base female skeleton. You can reduce the animation time by a small amount by going to a physics engine... but then you need a physics engine and a playerbase that can use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobzilla21
    bobzilla21 Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    in short, it'll probably crash my comp and it takes too much work.
    I figured I should do something with my sig, so I made this for fun. My very first (poorly made) animation. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As for why Luffy is murdering Naruto, I have no idea either, but it looks cool.b:laugh
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    I was imagining a simple animation. Flowing hair would be great, but just having enough flexibility to keep my hair from going inside my back when I am running would be great. If this could work when I was flying would be even nicer. Hypothetically speaking this could be just an alternate model that gets switched in for that movement animation (but I guess that would require extra programming).

And I totally understand that this would require some work from artists and testers so I know that even if they have enough free artist time to do something like this that they will not be doing this any time soon. *sad*