Is there a use for Barbs other than tank?

Subsuba - Lost City
Subsuba - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Barbarian
I like barbs, but I don't like how their onyl purpose is for tanking. Would people still accept you into parties and bosses and stuff, if you had less HP than a normal tank? Because I'm thinking of making like a barb that has quite good attack (but not as good as) but still be able to tank, but not as good as the proper tank?
(I don't play Blademaster because its boring)
Post edited by Subsuba - Lost City on

Comments

• fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Mm.. we have a word for barbs like that: Terrible.

If you think BMs are boring, you don't wanna try a barb. They're basically BMs, except with tanking abilities, slightly less damage and a lot more awesomeness.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Ithilmir - Sanctuary
    Ithilmir - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm not quite sure how you can like Barbarian, but not like tanking. Barbarians are designed for tanking. If you use them for another purpose, you're effectively being a Blademaster. If Blademaster bores you, you might want to try another class.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    They're basically BMs, except with tanking abilities, slightly less damage and a lot more awesomeness.

Make that a LOT less damage. At almost lvl70, I manage to hit 1K. MY best critical I have seen so far is 4K. Thats mega low damage (tiger form lvl3).
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    They're basically BMs, except with tanking abilities, slightly less damage and a lot more awesomeness.

If a barb is a BM, but different, doesn't that basicly means that a BM isn't a barb, and consequently that a barb isn't a BM b:shocked
  • fuzzles
    edited January 2009
    (tiger form lvl3).

Well, that'd be your problemo. Take off your stripey suit and wave around your axes in human form. Or level your poison fang some more.. or axe mastery, or strength of titans. Something like that.
  • AlpineFrost - Lost City
    AlpineFrost - Lost City Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    yup,

WB are meant to tank. sure they have a lower DMG output than BMs... but thats cause they are given skills to actually hold aggro. (i think BMs might have one or two... but they are nothing compaired to a WB's) not to mention their survivability.

And TBH it's all about how you build your character. The WB's Humanoid skills are excellent for PvP as well as PvE... if you want your WB to be a decent DD, dont lvl tiger or any of its skills. Just stick to the humanoid form, its that simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ex-Waffles Director
    ~Ragequit
  • Kalador - Heavens Tear
    Kalador - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Are Barbs good for anything other than tanking?

Yes, in my spare time away from tanking bad guys I work as an underwear model b:thanks

True story.

But on a more serious note, the setup fits into any situatuion, team or solo, just depends on how quick you want it killed. regardless, there is always space on any team for a tank, anywhere.

Tanks take beatings that would one shot most classes and then ask for seconds, I mean come on, how cool is that? b:shocked
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well, that'd be your problemo. Take off your stripey suit and wave around your axes in human form. Or level your poison fang some more.. or axe mastery, or strength of titans. Something like that.

Dont have No problemo with it. It was thanks to my lvl3 tigerform (and some uber clerics from guild b:dirty) that I was able to tank FB69 bosses for them at lvl65. b:cool

But yeah the skills you mention are my No1 priority now that all my "tanker" buffs and skills are maxed. I'm never going humanoid. Cant cancel mob's casting and all my humanoid skills are at lvl1.....b:chuckle
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Brannin - Sanctuary
    Brannin - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    As someone who has a lvl65 Blademaster as well as this WB, I'd figure I'd chime in on this conversation. Blademasters can tank quite well. Between Stream Strike and the damage they produce, they can hold aggro well. Also with their Aura and Alter Marrow skills, both their physical and magical defences will far surpass that of a WB.

With cleric and self buffs, my BM can hit 4.5k hp and either 10k physical defence or 4k magical defence, depending which Alter Marrow I use. This WB with cleric and self buffs hits 6.6k hp, 7.5k physical defence and about 2.5k magic defence. Put a BM and WB in same squad and thier hp and physical def would be very close to each others.

Then there's the difference maker for tanking: Flesh Ream. I can pull aggro from a BM in about 10secs flat using it. As the only 2 classes capable of taking physical hits, you can see why people prefer a WB for tanking. Aggro control.

On the damage side, even with all humanoid skills maxed, a WB will never touch the type of damage or soloing ease a BM can produce. Period. Even with Perdition.

In closing, WB are kings of the tanking mountain. If you want a damage dealer that can take some hits, make a BM.
  • MeatShielder - Sanctuary
    MeatShielder - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    As someone who has a lvl65 Blademaster as well as this WB, I'd figure I'd chime in on this conversation. Blademasters can tank quite well. Between Stream Strike and the damage they produce, they can hold aggro well. Also with their Aura and Alter Marrow skills, both their physical and magical defences will far surpass that of a WB.

With cleric and self buffs, my BM can hit 4.5k hp and either 10k physical defence or 4k magical defence, depending which Alter Marrow I use. This WB with cleric and self buffs hits 6.6k hp, 7.5k physical defence and about 2.5k magic defence. Put a BM and WB in same squad and thier hp and physical def would be very close to each others.

Then there's the difference maker for tanking: Flesh Ream. I can pull aggro from a BM in about 10secs flat using it. As the only 2 classes capable of taking physical hits, you can see why people prefer a WB for tanking. Aggro control.

On the damage side, even with all humanoid skills maxed, a WB will never touch the type of damage or soloing ease a BM can produce. Period. Even with Perdition.

In closing, WB are kings of the tanking mountain. If you want a damage dealer that can take some hits, make a BM.

edit - nevermind
  • fuzzles
    edited January 2009
    Between Stream Strike and the damage they produce, they can hold aggro well. Also with their Aura and Alter Marrow skills, both their physical and magical defences will far surpass that of a WB.

Mmmkay.. a few fun facts:
    1. Steam strike doesn't work. It doesn't hold aggro any better than an equivalent damage skill.
    2. Using alter marrow skills isn't realistic against bosses. It looks good on paper, but is the worst thing you can do against a boss. Most bosses in melee range use physical attacks interspersed with magic attacks. If you're using the physical alter marrow thing, expect to get utterly ravaged by any magic attack - most likely killed in 1 hit depending on which boss.
    3. Since you are unable to use alter marrows against bosses, barbs have a much much higher pdef than BMs. Specially if there's a BM in the party who gives everyone that golden bell thingy.
    4. There is no way an equivalent level and equipped barb and BM will have similar HP. The only possible way in which that's conceivable is if the barb hasn't put anything in vit and the BM has cranked it up as high as possible.

The bottom line is that BMs can tank, yes.. but they can only do so if they're a substantially higher level than whatever they need to tank and if there's no one else attacking to steal aggro. But then that's not really tanking, as such...
  • Brannin - Sanctuary
    Brannin - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Obviously fuzzles, you didn't read my post. I'm not pulling facts out of the air. I'm speaking from the experience of one who has both a blademaster and a barb in the lvl 65 range. So let's give you some fun facts.

1) Stream Strike does work in the intended way, though obviously not as well as Flesh Ream. It's obvious to anyone that's used it for tanking that the damage from it isn't enough to hold aggro off anybody.

2)A barb DOESN'T have way, way more pdef than a blademaster. This is fact, since I use the exact same gear on both of mine. A bm with lvl 10 Aura will have the exact same pdef as a barb in tiger form with lvl 10 shapeshifting if the armor is identical. A barb will have alot more hit points, but not pdef.

3) A blademaster can use Alter Marrow against bosses. A bm has more than enough hit points to survive a single magic attack thrown in while the physical buff is active plus the bonus of Sutra so the cleric doesn't need to do any extra healing to fix it.

4) Every boss I have tanked with barb has been done on my bm at 5 levels higher or less. This isn't the huge level gap, you'd like to believe. 5 levels, not 10 or 15, but 5.

In closing, I'm not debating that a barb is the superior tank. The higher hit points and better aggro managing alone make that so. However, you have obviously not played both a barb AND a bm and are just spouting the same class biased nonsense I see all over these boards and in game. Someone made a comparison earlier in the thread and I figured I'd offer some knowledge based on EXPERIENCE.

And I still stand by my statement that a barb, regardless of build, will never be as good a damage dealer as one of the damage dealing classes. Barbs were meant to be tanks. Period.
  • Arravis - Lost City
    Arravis - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Barbs actually CAN be very good full-attack barbarians. There are plenty of examples I have seen on the LC server, i.e. GriminflameZ and Ballin who are all very skilled.

Yes, you might not be able to tank much, but a lot of high levels here just pk all day.

There are several points to a PVP barbarian that make them quite formidable:

-Their HP is STILL high compared to other classes.
    -High accuracy, stable crit chance if you give yourself crit+ gears.
    -Solid damage versus light and robes
    -*Fast channeling and casting*

Do note, that a PVP-based build only really means a bit less HP for more accuracy and a small higher crit%. Built correctly, they can become very strong end-game.
  • Dusk - Lost City
    Dusk - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Sure bms can tank lower level bosses, but not fb 69 at lvl 70, or higher level bosses. Why? At that level wbs have 2x to 3x more hp than bms, and they need to cancel the boss's shatter, or whole party is dead. Some higher level bosses bms can tank, but if the boss has shatter, good luck b:surrender
    ☺☻
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    other uses than tanking? here

1: mass aoe damage, 1 hitting most robe users.
    2: higher DPS than certain BM builds.
    3: at level 100 we get 18 meter 8 second freeze
    4: just looking so damn cool.
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]