[Help]Pure Pve Tank Build Skills

chiikk0
chiikk0 Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Barbarian
hi .. so anways im not that much into pvp so im going pure pve. I already got the stats part fixed and set.. i read some guides but i wasn't too sure on skills cus they mixed pve and pvp together.

Now as a pure pve Tank Build

which Skills are my top priorities which always have to be maxed, secondary so on. Right now all my skills are at 1 cus i dont want to **** up my build. Can u Experience barbs please help me out with some knowledge? :)

thanks in advance
Post edited by chiikk0 on

Comments

• The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i am lvl 53 some ppl hate me some ppl love me here is roughly my build this is what i recomend so far

true form = if you are going pure tank no solo lvl it
    flesh ream = max fast gets agro keeps agro
    hp buff = max fast more hp duh :)
    alclarity of the beast = max fast cancels mobs channeling less magic attacks
    devour = max fast drops def of mobs make life easy for dpers
    frighten = max fast reduces speed and attack power
    roar = lvl it more agro durring fight
    bestial rage = get as soon as possible builds chi faster for agro skills
    strenght of titan = make your agro a bit better cuz of damage and bm and dpers happy
    shape shifting intesity = max fast more armor protection
    axe and hammer mastery = max fast
    my self personally i have the hp regen lvled up and riptide as high as i can and the swim mastery
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
    edited January 2009
    those are you clif notes for any thing else see the sticky pls :)
    and i will whisper no.
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well, I'm only lvl 36, but I can say the above seems right to me. Just an option: Instead of devour, you can also take poison fang. Devour only reduces phys def, so isn't usefull when your with mages and it takes 35 chi, and if you lose aggro by accident you can use roar. Poison fang adds a % of wood damage for 15 min, and doesn't take any chi. I think poison fang is a bit more usefull when you can't find damagedealer to party with.
    edited January 2009
    yeah i agree with you on the damage dealing point of it but devour reduces phy def we attack phys so it helps alot trust me and if you make a tank build then you are setting your self up to be party dependant you can see my lvl but i haven't noticed a difference with poison fang except on mobs that were weak against it. if i could do over i would have taken those twolvls of poison fang i got and applied the sp to devour and alclarity since i let them lag :(
    and i will whisper no.
  • chiikk0
    edited January 2009
    hmm 1 guides says make feral regeneration.. the other one says dont even bother with this.. i dont know if should lvl this skill ..

75% reduce hp regeneration when your in combat so thats a big loss right there..

i still dont know about this skill if its worth maxing it or even putting points on it, confused about this one
  • Unconquered - Lost City
    Unconquered - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Most important for boss tanking:
    flesh ream maxed
    flesh ream maxed
    ...flesh ream maxed
    true form maxed
    hp buff maxed
    shape shifting intesity maxed
    alacrity of the beast (pounce cancel) whatever level you can afford.

Doesn't matter what level:

Frighten - why? because the cleric should be able to keep you alive without you needing to use this skill on bosses. The boss resists its slow down effect. Its also got bad cast time and you're better off spamming flesh ream to hold aggro as best as possible. In pve grinding its useless and a waste of time, just hit the mob with something that does damage.

Roar- why? maxed roar wont even hold aggro over archer zhens. its nice to save someones life if they run into a clusterf*ck of mobs though. Your flesh ream is enough to hold boss aggro, i throw in roar sometimes cuz it makes that cool sword animation.

for faster mob killing during grinding:
    devour - 50% phys defense reduction at max level is nice if you're grinding in tiger mode.
    strength of the titans- its expensive, level it up when you can.
    axe weapon mastery - more damage for you.

optional attack:
    surf impact- its aoe has a small range, it does decent damage. The annoying thing is it doesn't slow down the mobs attack rate, it just slow down their speed so unless you're running away from it you wont notice a difference.

by the way you don't want to spam devour on bosses, it takes up too much chi. That chi should be used for flesh ream spamming to maintain aggro. But yeah you can use it if you have a venomancer transfering you a spark every minute, makes the boss die faster.

and i dont mean to make it sound like frighten and roar are useless, they're just not as useful until level 99 when they both do additional things after going Heave/Hell barbarian.
  • Tyraro - Sanctuary
    Tyraro - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, Unconquered, that was very helpful. I had assumed that surf impact's slow would be useful for grinding all those mobs that run away during combat. So far, I am not liking these quasi-kiting mobs. If slowing them down isn't the solution, is it something else or am I just going to be chasing ranged mobs all the time?
  • chiikk0
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for that little guide.

Ive read every guide say Max Roar(talk is cheap) and you saing it doesn't really matter what lvl .. ill take your word for it being alvl 86 barb. Thanks for your help
  • finalending
    finalending Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    dont forget to get bestial rage. i use it each and every fight, only costs 20 mana to cast.
    edited January 2009
    you surf impact is alittle under rated and devour is good to max for damge during the boss figh yeah you don't wanna spam it cuz of the chi cost.

roar personally i like it true it doesn't hold agro on its own but it help main tain agro fro those long fights when you mess up and run short of chi and are in high damage parties. it also adds alot of chi when you use bestial rage to increase your chi

also surf impact is good when you deal with those pain in the a$$ hit and run mobs like archers they can't escape as fast gives time for an extra flesh ream and more bleed while you catch them;)
    and i will whisper no.
  • LoupCervier - Sanctuary
    LoupCervier - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Basicaly i've level i soon as i can all skills wich are in the middle column of the skill tree from top to bottom. Plus bestial rage and axe&hammer mastery. In PVE i believe the human form to be less important than the beast form. So i would level all beast's skills first. From my experience wich is not much, i think flesh realm (for aggro)is your bread and butter. Since your purpose is to take punishement not to deliver it in boss killing, i'll level true form and shape change first after flesh realm. I would keep alacrity of the beast at level 1 since the main reason of its existence is to stop a boss or mob channeling...it does it well even at only level 1. All others skils are optionnal until high level and for me a boss tanking becomes a spaming or flesh realm and alacrity.

Me, i prefer to solo in human form(not really a good idea since you split your spirit between the two forms). For this mode mighty swing is my main weapon + bestial rage. I use spark eruption once every two mobs. Penetrate armor and devour(in beast form) do the same thing and are good tertiary skills in soloing but both useless against a boss: the later use to much chi to maintain and the former...who would be crazy enough to tank a boss in human form except me,use only if somebody else is the tank.

Feral regeneration:enhence your game play by reducing your down time between mob in soloing but is the less important skil of the middle column since your regen is reduce by 75% when fighting.

That's my two cents,bear in mind i am only level 49 and for the mistakes in english,i'm french speaking.
  • Erado - Heavens Tear
    Erado - Heavens Tear Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I would keep alacrity of the beast at level 1 since the main reason of its existence is to stop a boss or mob channeling...it does it well even at only level 1.

you are wrong about that skill, the further you lvl it, the lower its recharge gets, if its lvl 9 or 10 it will allow you to cancel each and every magic attack a mob (or most bosses) makes, its pretty important to lvl it imo.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I would keep alacrity of the beast at level 1 since the main reason of its existence is to stop a boss or mob channeling...it does it well even at only level 1.

You're wrong about that. Yes it cancels all the same at lvl1. But the cooldown is 12.5 seconds. You want to level that to lvl7 as soon as possible (bring cooldown to 9 sec or less).

You may have been able to kill the mobs until now before their magical attack cooled down. But soon you will run into magical mobs that will need their casting canceled multiple times before you mange to kill them. Trust me it really helps to be able to cancel the casting repeatedly, else you're gonna be meditating after every single kill at lvl60+. And certain bosses (particularly TT bosses) can have magical attacks of 9K+ followed by physical hits that can spike 5K. You can make the cleric's life a lot easier by simply avoiding the magical attack repeatedly. You may have to cancel casting more than 20-30 time before the boss dies. You wont be able to do 1/2 of those if ur alclarity's at lvl1.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • chiikk0
    edited January 2009
    does anybody actually lvl feral regeneration?
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    chiikk0 wrote: »
    does anybody actually lvl feral regeneration?

Ive maxed mine. It has a negligible effect in combat, but it really cuts down the meditation time between mob kills. I don't mind having invested in it.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Erado - Heavens Tear
    Erado - Heavens Tear Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    yeah i have it maxed also, although its effect isnt very great on higher lvls.

its basically so that if you use charms (or any other way) to heal i wouldnt bother leveling it, if you meditate alot though, its defenitely worth it.
  • LoupCervier - Sanctuary
    LoupCervier - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I have made a booboo. True, alacrity of the beast must be leveled as soon as possible, thank you for correcting me.