i was wonderin if theres any way PW would run on Linux. lemmi know ^^
Post edited by shangmaster on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Thanks for posting here per our recommendation b:pleased

Anyone in the community had any luck emulating Windows to run the game on Linux?

As you all know, we don't offer support for it, but maybe some of you have had some success.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Meralyn - Lost City
    Meralyn - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Hey I'm actually installing PWI on Ubuntu "Intrepid" right now

So far no errors.

if you go to this site it tells you that it does work on linux with Wine version 1.1.10 and higher =]

At the bottom it has a step by step tutorial of how to set it up.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923

Hope this helps ^^

There does seem to be an error with my video card and wine 1.1.12... I'm sure this will be fixed sometime in the future. Nvidia 4400..
  • Alyai - Lost City
    Alyai - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I've gotten it to run almost perfectly.
    The only problems atm is the graphics aren't entirely like on windows (less ground details).
    And that if you minimize the menus, player models, etc get screwed up (so never ever minimize it).

I haven't installed it using linux, since I had it on windows before I got linux again, so can't help you there.

But if you want to get it running.
    1. Download wine source
    2. Apply the patch from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12560 (patch: http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=17457 to be exact).
    You can do this using gedit/kate if you're new to linux.
    The - lines get removed and the + lines get added.
    3. open a terminal and cd to the directory.
    then
    "chmod +x ./configure"
    "./configure"
    "make"
    "sudo make install"
    4. Wine should be working now so run "winecfg" and set the audio, etc.
    5. Run "regedit" and set the following keys (all are strings (REG_SZ)):
    Directory | Key name | Value
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D" "Multisampling" "enabled"
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D" "DirectDrawRenderer" "opengl"
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D" "RenderTargetLockMode" "textex" (or "texdraw")
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D" "OffscreenRenderingMode" "fbo"
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D" "UseGLSL" "enabled" (not needed anymore, but to be safe)
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D" "VideoMemorySize" "512" (the amount of memory your videocard has. (512MB in my case so value is 512))
    6. Get winetricks using (in terminal ofcourse)
    "wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks"
    "chmod +x winetricks"
    "sudo mv winetricks /usr/local/bin"
    7. Install "allfonts" package using "winetricks" in the terminal
    8. Terminal to the patcher directory of PW and do "wine patcher.exe"

And you should be all set to play :3

I might have forgotten something, so post any problems you might get xP.

Small edit: Make sure you use the last videocard driver from nvidia or ati (not beta's! they often have broken opengl)
  • shangmaster
    shangmaster Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    haha...ha..awww >< thanks for the book wortth of instructions :P il try figure out what it means ^_^ il let you know if it works. b:shocked
  • Nevdemo - Sanctuary
    Nevdemo - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    The only problems atm is the graphics aren't entirely like on windows (less ground details).
    And that if you minimize the menus, player models, etc get screwed up (so never ever minimize it)

There's some chance that these issues are caused because some GFX Cards's drivers (Such as the entire Intel mobile series) aren't entirely supported by Linux. At least, it could explain why the graphics look less detailed in the emulation than in the "real" Windows... Have you tried installing alternative or restricted drivers?
  • Alyai - Lost City
    Alyai - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    There's some chance that these issues are caused because some GFX Cards's drivers (Such as the entire Intel mobile series) aren't entirely supported by Linux. At least, it could explain why the graphics look less detailed in the emulation than in the "real" Windows... Have you tried installing alternative or restricted drivers?

Right now I'm using the official nvidia drivers ever since I switched from ATI a few months back.
    I haven't tried the opensource drivers, but I think it's more a wine implementation problem, since it doesn't occur with legacy opengl games that support linux.
  • HalfYoma - Lost City
    HalfYoma - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Some of the steps above are not needed, cause WINE can imidatly run the game. But I would suggest 2 do the registry entries if u rly wanna use ur Graphic cards potential.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i was wonderin if theres any way PW would run on Linux. lemmi know ^^
    you need wine and winetricks. There was a cursor error with 1.0x.x (forget which) but updates should fix that. I've run PWI in linux whithot TOO many problems, and I've seen it looking ALOT better. (I however don't have linux on my PC right now)

minor note: since Hardy you can just directly open windows exes and shortcuts like you would on windows.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Bearleeable - Lost City
    Bearleeable - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Some of the steps above are not needed, cause WINE can imidatly run the game. But I would suggest 2 do the registry entries if u rly wanna use ur Graphic cards potential.

so using Jaunty what would be the exact steps you'd follow?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    install wine and winetricks enable directx9 through it and hope for the best?
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
  • Farnstoll - Dreamweaver
    Farnstoll - Dreamweaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It pays off to read the Wine AppDB entry:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923
    My name there is Pekka Paalanen.

My experiences on Wine 1.1.34 were:
    - no winetricks needed
    - installation will fail, you need to kill the installer before it undos everything and get the missing files from somewhere.

I have no experience from copying over a Windows-installed PWI tree.

Until the recent problems, I played PWI satisfactorily for months.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I had no issues installing PWI, I just had no mouse lol
This discussion has been closed.