How would one go about becoming a GM?

Options
Herr_Liebe - Lost City
Herr_Liebe - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
I've searched forums, and stuffs and I can't seem to find a thread about it.

Anyone know? o:

I thought it would have to be under the careers section, but nothing says anything about it.

Just wondering. x.xb:bye
Post edited by Herr_Liebe - Lost City on

Comments

• aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    First of all you would have to live near Redwood City, CA, USA if my little search per google just now did not lead me wrong. Also I believe these are some of what you would need for the one job which seems to be free at this moment in time.
    Requirements for Product Manager / Producer:
    Game industry experience is preferred and highly desirable.
    Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar role.
    Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
    Strong ability to critically analyze market problems and define clear, detailed, and logical product and service solutions.
    Strong oral, written, organizational, and presentation skills.
    High level of professionalism, integrity, confidence and commitment.
    BA or BS degree or equivalent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Hmmm...

In todays day and age, one would think a GM could be anywhere in the world..

My qualifications:

Over 10 years experience in the gaming industry as a closed beta tester for multiple games (Everquest and Vanguard).

High end gaming computer

Hands on, working Knowledge of software (Python, C++ and Java)

Ability to **** people off.

More knowledge than most with a BA/BS/MA degree in relation to computer science, coding, etc.

As for the rest of the stuff... Being a (closed) Beta tester one learns to be exceptionally detailed when discussing bug related issues.

People skills... hmm There I might have a problem, I think 90% of humanity just needs to Die and quit breathing my air (YES, I REALLY do think this), and I hate multi-tasking. I like all my energy to be focused on one thing.... Pissing people off.

Besides, I'd rather cut off a ******** than live anywhere in that sink hole of garbage that is California.. 5 yrs there was enough to make me despise humanity.. no job would be worth going back to it. Also, Hawaii is much better than California anyway...

Saitada
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Satida I think that might not work :P
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    People skills can be rather important in a technical field, Saitada. It is the sort of job where you kinda have to take unpleasantly complicated topics and discuss them with people that really want typical language responses.

Location... well, there have been a few posts on the matter. Perfect World Entertainment hires good, trustworthy people, but to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, it's best to have lots and lots of checks and balances. Those checks and balances work a lot better in-office.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    See....getting a job as a GM isn't all it's cracked up to be afterall. And when you are on duty, you'll have to cope with the abuse from disgrunted players. A GM who loses his or her cool and attacks the players would get known by a lot of people really fast and discourage people from playing the game let alone parting with their money.

Keeping a professional appearance is important but in my opinion I would rather have a friendly, social and humorous GM that does communicate with the community, as most of these guys do. From my perspective feeling welcome and close (whether professionally or otherwise) to a GM or two or more makes me feel even more part of the gaming community and seeing GM activity in-game also tells me that the GMs do care and the team aren't leaving the game running cold and sitting down letting the money role in. In all other F2P MMO games I've played so far I've not once seen any GM in-game or talk to the community on forums or in-game even after playing it a lot for many months.
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • Herr_Liebe - Lost City
    Herr_Liebe - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Thank you all ^^

I didn't think that Product Manager / Producer was the meaning of Game Master, though.

:3

And I'd rather stick to the first example, than with the second one.

I was born and raised in Cali, so I have no problem with the place. ;)
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Thank you all ^^

I didn't think that Product Manager / Producer was the meaning of Game Master, though.

actually the Product Mgr and GM roles/positions are quite different.

The Product Mgr is responsible for the shape,scope and direction of their respective product, while a GM's role is more service oriented in regulating the game environment and assisting players.

Don't think we are currently seeking new GMs, although this will likely change as the company expands its product offerings.

and yes, you do need to be located in the SF Bay Area to be taken under consideration as a candidate.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Thank you all ^^

It was the only job on offer from PWE which is why I put that forward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]