HowTo: Use Keyboard WASD to Move Character and Turn Camera

bowcannon
bowcannon Posts: 3 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
I just found this today and thought I would share. Currently, the default setup for WASD is W=Move Forward, A=Strafe Left, S=Move Backward, D=Strafe Right.

If you click on the System button (the one that looks like a crossed hammer and spike - what the heck is that anyway?), and then on the System Settings button (the green computer), you'll get the Game window.

At the top under the System, UI, Game, and Blacklist buttons is a section called Basic, which contains 4 checkboxes. By ticking the A,D Keys checkbox, your A and S keys will go from Strafe Right and Left to Rotate Camera Right and Left.

You can now use the keyboard to move with instead of having to use the mouse :)
Post edited by bowcannon on

Comments

• Igrayne - Sanctuary
    Igrayne - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    well, you still need the mouse to talk to people. still, thanks for the tip b:pleased I tried doing that and it works better than the usual strafing :)
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Im a mouse man myself !
  • ForlornSoul - Sanctuary
    ForlornSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    bowcannon wrote: »
    ...your A and S keys will go from Strafe Right and Left to Rotate Camera Right and Left.

You can now use the keyboard to move with instead of having to use the mouse :)

sounds like I may like that feature better, ty, will give that a try, now if we could only select the arrows for those features >.<
  • Okalini - Lost City
    Okalini - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    That's actually a great help - I'm using a laptop, & everytime I want to turn around I have to stop (can get... frustrating) so, thanks for the post =)
    - Life can only be as significant as we make it -
  • deisy
    deisy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    How can you change your controles?

I't is realy annoying and frustating cose if got a 'azerty' keyboard on a laptop.
    b:sad
    please someone help me.

greetz deis
  • foddermike
    foddermike Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Currently control customization is strictly limited. It would be nice to get a "mouse look" feature in, where you can use the mouse to spin the camera independently from the character *while moving* not after you've stopped, started combat, or are set to follow another player.

Sincerely,

-Foddermike
    The only stupid question is the one never asked.
  • ForlornSoul - Sanctuary
    ForlornSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    deisy wrote: »
    How can you change your controles?

I't is realy annoying and frustating cose if got a 'azerty' keyboard on a laptop.
    b:sad
    please someone help me.

greetz deis

newp, wish there was too, as i play wrong handed, and need the up/down arrows to replace the wasd

there is a remapping application, but its global, and would require turning it on and off when you arent playing PWI
  • Inolandra - Lost City
    Inolandra - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It's an "odd" kind of setup, but why not use 2 keyboards? Get 2 USB keyboards, hook them into a hub, hook the hub into a USB-to-PS2 adapter and voila! (completely untested, don't quote me on this setup).

Should this work, you can keep one keyboard in a normal position for chatting and the second keyboard repositioned for movement, allowing the mouse to be held in your left hand.

If you setup a batch file to run before *AND* after PW, you could remap the arrow keys to emulate the WASD keys before the game loads and reset them when the game quits. Just a suggestion about that to handle the chore for you. Or, if the single batch file doesn't work, make 2 batch files that you run seperately - first one BEFORE you run the game, and second one AFTER you quit the game. But, putting them all into the single batch file *should* work fine... but again, as with the first suggestion, this hasn't been tested so don't quote this as working :P

Hope this helps!
  • Divine_Bow - Heavens Tear
    Divine_Bow - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    WTF i cant find it. i cant find it under system settings :(b:cry
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This isn't good for flying though as you don't bank into your turn.I gave this try and didn't like it because of this.

^Go to the little computer click on the gears.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • shagnasty420
    shagnasty420 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Thank you very much.I never would have found it and I hate strafing with a passion.b:pleased
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Necro... .-.

@person above me: next time check the last post date before you post something ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LestatII - Raging Tide
    LestatII - Raging Tide Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I am happy that this feature is available however, I would like to see the option to configure two other keys (i.e. Q and E) to strafe. I feel that this would not only allow us more control, but make it more comfortable to move about.

I also feel that the option to toggle on and off click to move would be nice. I find it incredibly annoying to be moving about and attempting to click on something, missing the target and then finding myself changing direction or moving when I did not so desire.

I am curious if there are others that feel the same way my wife and I do?
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he must say something. --Plato
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    LestatII, first, please do not reply to threads that have been dead for over 30 days. Doing this is called a "necro" and is against the forum rules, as stated in the "PWI Community Forums: Rules of Conduct v1.0 - read meh!" thread.

Second, your comment belongs in the Suggestion Box forum instead of the Beginner's Guide, as it will be more likely to be noticed as a suggestion there.

Thanks. :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Midnait - Lost City
    Midnait - Lost City Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Nice tip - but the mouse it's better for me b:mischievous
    Another day, another idiot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]