Taming Help

Lochiel - Sanctuary
Lochiel - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Venomancer
I'm new to PW and venomancers. After reading the FAQ and guide here and just trial and error, I think I might be doing something wrong with the taming. I can't seem to get any results other than "failed." I've only tried taming the green-face icon creatures that were my level or under, both with the pet stowed and as an egg, but I still get the fail result. I'm wondering if I've overlooked some step in how to tame a new pet. Any help would be appreciated.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
~Oscar Wilde
Post edited by Lochiel - Sanctuary on

Comments

• mysstra
    mysstra Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Frim what i found out, what matters is the level of the beast and amount of HP it currently has. you need to reduce the HP to half or 2/3 and hit the tame spell.
    that should work.

check out this thread. it may help.
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=148431&highlight=tame
  • Myai - Heavens Tear
    Myai - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Technically, you only have to hit it once, but getting a mob's HP down to half or less gives you an even bigger chance. It's not hard once you get used to it. And in the future, just a a safety thing, you might want to have your pet out. Some mobs give lots of damage, and they can interrupt the taming skill channeling. So, if your pet deals 5% damage to the mob every time it hits it, it would be safe to just let your pet attack it when you tame it. But if it hits it and takes away, lets say, 20% of the mob's life, well, it'll kill the mob before your channeling is even done halfway.

There's also another way to not take damage while channeling but not hitting the mob. You can just keep your pet out and have it on the manual setting, and also have it on Halt (the collar icon), and not Follow(the paw-print icon). While your pet is attacking it, just click the Halt several times when you think that the mob has lost enough HP and your pet will just sit there while the mob attacks it, not you. That keeps you from dying, from your channeling being interrupted, and gives you more security just in case a mob might start attacking you in the middle of channeling. (Because then you could just send out your pet to attack the attacker) Do remember though, that if the mob deals to much damage to your pet while you're channeling, your pet will die. Which is common sense. But that's not why I'm saying this XD You might want to kill the same type of mob before trying to tame one so that you can see how much damage it deals to your pet and to see if it's ok to let your pet take the damage while the mob isn't being attacked. It's just a precaution to make sure you and/or your pet to die trying to tame the mob.
  • KyriIobria - Heavens Tear
    KyriIobria - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Wow, that's good advice Myai. I've been putting my pet away once the HP on the creature is low enough. I didn't think to use the "halt" command.
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    Lochiel - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Thanks so much everyone. That explains why I wasn't able to tame the creatures. I'm use to hunters on WoW for taming (how I wish for a freeze trap on PW sometimes). I'll try it out tonight and see how it works out.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Enyah - Heavens Tear
    Enyah - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    What I do is I hit it once and then allow my pet to go after it. As soon as I'm done with my hit to it I start to tame it and it works every time, though I suppose it really depends on how low the level of the creature you're trying to tame.

Also..be careful if you do it my way. You have to make sure your pet can handle the attacks and not die quickly from them and also know that your pet won't kill it in one or two attacks. If your pet dies it loses loyalty and that's not fun at all. xD
    The name's Pam~