Best venomancer pet???

fugitive1001
fugitive1001 Posts: 8
edited February 2011 in Venomancer
im currently a level 18 venomancer. I have a petite sawfly. im really wondering what are some really good low level pets that i could capture that will benifit me later, like if i cought something at level 13 and it was really good at a higher level. i hope somebody catches my drift and can answer my question.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    good at?
    golem - best phy tanker
    frog - best mag tanker
    swafly - best in pvp
    IGN: JusT_CooL
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
    [SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • sarrafeline
    sarrafeline Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Get a Magmite, and keep it. I came across a level 86 venomancer who was using a Magmite that they caught and leveled, and were still using. It was an excellent tank, though they used a Hercules for bosses. :)
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    good at?
    golem - best phy tanker
    frog - best mag tanker
    swafly - best in pvp

Best magical tankers are the antelope pup and carapest terror (looks like an anteater). The frog comes in one notch lower at mdef, but more hp. All other things being equal, IMHO defense is more valuable than hp since if you take less damage, it's easier to heal. But the antelope is squishy to physical damage.

I've been looking at various pet stats while the servers are down, and best all-around pet IMHO is the frog. It's got an even balance of stats with enhanced mdef. But if you're looking for a pet for a specific role (phy tanking, mag tanking, dishing out damage, etc), then there are better pets. Jack of all trades, master of none. I'm thinking of putting together a website that does the numerical comparison for you to make it easier for people to decide what pet they should get. Best all-around tank (i.e. pet tanks, magical or physical, you dish out the damage) appears to be the two bears.

There's a wolf that's almost as good as the frog in all-aroundness; just one notch lower in accuracy, evasion, and regen. But the site is in Japanese and I need to try to figure out which wolf it is from the pictures. The penguin looks close too. *sigh* Guess this means I need to get yet another pet slot...
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Best magical tankers are the antelope pup and carapest terror (looks like an anteater). The frog comes in one notch lower at mdef, but more hp. All other things being equal, IMHO defense is more valuable than hp since if you take less damage, it's easier to heal. But the antelope is squishy to physical damage.
    u sure about that? i'm not
    HP is very important, the mag deff might not differ that much, but if the HP does, go for it, a veno has a nice healing power, but would be useless if the pet doesn't have the HP
    for example, a blademaster and a barbarian, a BM might slightly get a bit more phy deff than the barb (self buffs), but still it can't compare with the barbs HP and regen rate, so that matters a lot
    IGN: JusT_CooL
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
    [SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • FoxDancing - Lost City
    FoxDancing - Lost City Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    i keep hearing and reading that you should find a pet you like, and stick with it, letting it level up with you, and it will get stronger along with you. well, my fave pets are wolves, and i have still my WolfTotemValley sharptooth, and he is still a tough guy. but i also have others, including a frozen wolfmaster. should i still level up my original fave (its not the starter wolf,but one i caught), or figure on just getting higher and higher level animals?

i have a real problem with the sawflies-a personal loathing /fear of anything that looks that much like a hornet. is there *anything* that is a good flying pet for around lv21-22? or do i just grit my teeth and hang in there till i can get a flying fox....? *sigh*

I've been looking at various pet stats while the servers are down, and best all-around pet IMHO is the frog. It's got an even balance of stats with enhanced mdef. But if you're looking for a pet for a specific role (phy tanking, mag tanking, dishing out damage, etc), then there are better pets. Jack of all trades, master of none. I'm thinking of putting together a website that does the numerical comparison for you to make it easier for people to decide what pet they should get. Best all-around tank (i.e. pet tanks, magical or physical, you dish out the damage) appears to be the two bears.

There's a wolf that's almost as good as the frog in all-aroundness; just one notch lower in accuracy, evasion, and regen. But the site is in Japanese and I need to try to figure out which wolf it is from the pictures. The penguin looks close too. *sigh* Guess this means I need to get yet another pet slot...
    FoxDancing
    @->~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *...foxes dance across the hilltops by moonlight...*
  • bobbeh
    bobbeh Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    u sure about that? i'm not
    HP is very important, the mag deff might not differ that much, but if the HP does, go for it, a veno has a nice healing power, but would be useless if the pet doesn't have the HP
    for example, a blademaster and a barbarian, a BM might slightly get a bit more phy deff than the barb (self buffs), but still it can't compare with the barbs HP and regen rate, so that matters a lot

HP is not all important. The higher the magic defense the less damage your pet will take and therefore less healing power you will need to keep the pet from dying. Say if you're a light armor build you'll pretty much want the pet with the higher defensive stats than raw HP.

See my thread on carapest terror
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=122111

Antelope pup, because of its low hp and low physical defense runs into the risk of getting spiked by bosses. Hence it's not as good as carapest terror and frog.

Personally I've traded my self-caught frog away and got myself a carapest terror (mainly because it's on equal ground with the frog but not as cookie-cutter, and I find it pretty cute...)
  • bobbeh
    edited December 2008
    i keep hearing and reading that you should find a pet you like, and stick with it, letting it level up with you, and it will get stronger along with you. well, my fave pets are wolves, and i have still my WolfTotemValley sharptooth, and he is still a tough guy. but i also have others, including a frozen wolfmaster. should i still level up my original fave (its not the starter wolf,but one i caught), or figure on just getting higher and higher level animals?

i have a real problem with the sawflies-a personal loathing /fear of anything that looks that much like a hornet. is there *anything* that is a good flying pet for around lv21-22? or do i just grit my teeth and hang in there till i can get a flying fox....? *sigh*

The game doesn't work like that though. Some pets are better than others and that's how the pet mechanism works. The difference will be more and more visible as you go up the level.
  • Esren - Sanctuary
    Esren - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    should i still level up my original fave (its not the starter wolf,but one i caught), or figure on just getting higher and higher level animals?

You'll probably read, time and time again, that the pet system in PW is built on the "Pokemon" system. Basically, a wolf-type pet tamed at lv. 5 will have higher stats at lv. 35 than a wild wolf-type at the same level.

So stick with your original fave, definitely.

Just keep in mind that different pet types have different natural strengths (a Golem's PDef vs. a Wolf's PDef, for example).
  • bobbeh
    edited December 2008
    You'll probably read, time and time again, that the pet system in PW is built on the "Pokemon" system. Basically, a wolf-type pet tamed at lv. 5 will have higher stats at lv. 35 than a wild wolf-type at the same level.

So stick with your original fave, definitely.

Just keep in mind that different pet types have different natural strengths (a Golem's PDef vs. a Wolf's PDef, for example).

But some strengths are not as favourable as others.
  • DeadFriend - Heavens Tear
    DeadFriend - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Magmite, Undine, or high level mounted wraith (i.e. Death Knight General)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    Oishasan - Sanctuary Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    My current faves are at 36:

Hep Beetle King (level 3 start)
    Scorpian starter pet (level 2 start)
    Turtle (level 5 start)
    Sawfly (level 8 start)

All of em are extemely impressive in their categories. I also have a jaden quinfu and a level 2 beetle I have brought up in levels as well, but I am waiting to give them permanent spots until
    a.see how Hep King does 80+, and
    b.waiting til I have the $ to spend on extra skills they aren't 'born' with.

Also the king beetle (and level 2) do not have the weakness in attack/damage that the Quinfu does it seems, but time/levels will tell the tale.
    Oishasan
    Light Armor build, Support Cleric

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • YoshiBomb - Sanctuary
    YoshiBomb - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    i want to know what the best water pet is. i caught a highland tortoise level 8. is that better than an undine? and what it the lowest level undine and whats it called? ty ^^
    .::YOSHIBOMB::.
  • YoshiBomb - Sanctuary
    YoshiBomb - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    My current faves are at 36:

Hep Beetle King (level 3 start)
    Scorpian starter pet (level 2 start)
    Turtle (level 5 start)
    Sawfly (level 8 start)

All of em are extemely impressive in their categories. I also have a jaden quinfu and a level 2 beetle I have brought up in levels as well, but I am waiting to give them permanent spots until
    a.see how Hep King does 80+, and
    b.waiting til I have the $ to spend on extra skills they aren't 'born' with.

Also the king beetle (and level 2) do not have the weakness in attack/damage that the Quinfu does it seems, but time/levels will tell the tale.

where di u catch your turtle? i didnt know u could get one level 5.
    .::YOSHIBOMB::.
  • hazon
    hazon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    it is abysmal turtle lvl 5
  • Annalyn - Lost City
    Annalyn - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    What is the best flying pet??
    I'm lvl 30 now... I didnt even think of getting a flying pet while i was at a low lvl.b:surrender
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    What is the best flying pet??
    I'm lvl 30 now... I didnt even think of getting a flying pet while i was at a low lvl.b:surrender

Congratulations on a Nice 2 YEARS NECRO b:shutupb:shutupb:shutup
    just to answer ur question . petite sawfly above bamboo village, cloudskatefish at TB island ( near the glacial walkers , and bolden goldwing or pinnear foxwings are the most common flying pets.

the *best* appart from the legendary nix is the petite sawfly , low hp average defences but really high attack , it kiils quickly and efficiently
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    necro or not, the question itself is fair and valid. often asked, though, and finding an answer wouldn't have been too hard.

the difference between the cloud skatefish (which starts at level 22) and the petite sawfly isn't much. the sawfly's technically better, but you'd be hard pressed to notice in practice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • BriarFoxy - Raging Tide
    BriarFoxy - Raging Tide Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I have also been pondering about which pets are best for a while, since I'm fairly new (less than a year) to the game I still have lots to learn. I think a lot of the choices depends on how you build your character but there are some pets that are over all better than most. I look at the pet stats on the Ultimate Pet List guide in the PW Wiki http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Ultimate_Pet_List and then in the PW Database http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/. Along with those stats you need to look at the pets graphic profile (open pet bag-click on stats) to give you an idea of how the pet is constructed. (ie. check out my Cloud Skatefish http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Cloud_Skatefish page in the PW Wiki against a pet in your pet bag. I started to combine the pet information and images in one place in the Wiki but it was extremely costly and time consuming so I put the project on hold for now. If someone want to work on this please use my page as a template of sorts)
    Because, at this time the only way I know to see the profile graph is to have the pet in your pet bag and check its stats. (Let me know if this is found elsewhere). Anyway, I found for Levels 1-20 maybe more (not sure yet) the Level 9, Nonastral Beetle King work very well as a tank and it does heal it's self slowly as it's profile shows so you don't have to heal it as often unless it's up against a mob 10 levels higher. I'm presently leveling a few to test them at about level 40+ since that's my highest veno. From my studies I have found that the following pets are favorites for end game. Although, most have to have there skills redone and the debate still rages on about most of them. LAND PETS: Varicose Scorpion (yes, one of the first veno pets offered in the start of a veno career) Glacial Walker, Baby Hercules (Previous land pets are suppose to be able to beat him), Dark Wanderer, Frog (as mentioned above for Magic Tanks), Eldergoth Marksman (for a ranged fighter), Kowlin (the fastest pet in the game, gets there just in time to save your butt). AIR PETS: Petite Sawfly, Baby Blazing Phoenix (Legendary Pet, the Petite Sawfly is supposed to be able to beat this pet) , Pinnaer Foxwing, Elysium Fowl Water PETS: Celestial Plumpfish
    So far I like to use: Nonastral Beetle King, Crystalline Magmite, Glacial Walker, Cuddly Pup (Rare pet and 2nd fastest pet in the game), Baby Hercules (Legendary pet - Hard hitter, Great skills, VERY Expensive), Dark Wanderer, Wasp Hivewarder (Air), Foxwing of the Void (Air), Mutant Whirler Turtle (Water), Undine Supreme (Water). There are others I like but have not tried or leveled them. I think a good strategy is to pick out the ones you want of all the levels for what purpose and decide which ones to keep and which ones to replace as your character and pets level. As an example; I like the Vortex Crawler and Vortex Crawler Monarch which seem to have great skills for that level, so when they level to 21 compare the stats to the Mutant Whirler Turtle and decide which one to keep. Other than that you can go for looks, but remember that the pet bag has a limited amount of space and you might want a mount and that will take up a slot in the pet bag too.
    Hope this helps, I enjoyed the discussion and always learn something from other players input, Play on.....
    Rise to Become Mighty so on the Wings of the Leviathan We will Soar....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!" He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought -- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!--Poem part by: Lewis Carroll